PDA

View Full Version : K-T impact not in Yucatan??

JohnOwens
2004-Mar-02, 05:47 PM
Some scientists are thinking the Yucatan asteroid just happened to hit & weaken the dinosaurs about 300,000 years before the one that really killed them hit, perhaps in the Indian Ocean.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3520837.stm

Ah, what the heck, lets throw in a poll while we're at it. :lol:

2004-Mar-02, 06:06 PM
Everyone knows it was the biblical flood that killed off the dinosaurs. Before that, man and dinosaurs shared the same territory. Come on, haven't you ever seent he flintstones?

Andromeda321
2004-Mar-02, 06:12 PM
There's no "combination of more then one impact/disaster" category. :-?
Thanks for linking the article tho, I heard this on the radio last night but couldn't find the article that went along with it!

Wiley
2004-Mar-03, 12:27 AM
I am sure I speak for all the Gary Larson fans on the board, when I ask "Where's the option for smoking?" :)

JohnOwens
2004-Mar-03, 01:23 AM
I am sure I speak for all the Gary Larson fans on the board, when I ask "Where's the option for smoking?" :)

Dammit! I'm a Gary Larson fan! And a smoker! What was I thinking? #-o

milli360
2004-Mar-03, 02:21 AM
The lead investigator Gerta Keller is a long-time foe of the impact hypothesis. I wish some else had come up with these results, but ... who else but an opponent would pursue it?

SAMU
2004-Mar-03, 05:41 AM
I always felt that the evidence put forward for an Icelandic impact was compelling because the rocks there are the right age, an impact on a mid ocanic ridge is where the crust is thinnest and an impact can most easily cause penetration of the crust to form a large volcanic cauldera as iceland is, the gaseous discharge of a large volcanic cauldera is much greater than from a simple impact in thick crust from a meteor of the same size, and the rocks of Iceland are the only igneous rocks on Earth that have the same concentration of iridium as the sedimentary rocks of the K-T boundary layer suggesting they formed at the same time and were exposed to the same meteor impact material.

Diamond
2004-Mar-03, 09:58 AM
I think that the dating of the Chicxulub impact to 300,000 years before the KT boundary is the suspect conclusion. How did such a large impact not produce any Iridium and yet a mystery impact somehow did? It seems to me unlikely that the Chicxulub impact to be dated so accurately, 65 million years ago. [-(