PDA

View Full Version : Aircruise floating hotel

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-03, 07:09 PM
Caught this on the news, and began to wonder if it's going to be feasible.

Could we soon be staying in floating hotels in the future? (http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/02/03/future.travel.space.aircruise/index.html?hpt=C2)
Now; the journey as the vacation is not anything new especially with some train travelers and most cruise ships.

The Aircruise is a radical new design that promises to accommodate guests in a 265-meter tall hotel that could float above city skylines or over dramatic landscapes according to its designers at Seymourpowell.
Sounds like an airship. That doesn't sound too radical.

Hydrogen gas would be used as the primary lifting gas and it would be capable of lifting around 1.2 kg per cubic meter of volume.
Aha; Hindenburg 2.

So; it really is radical.
No, not the design, but the idea that you're repeating a dangerous concept.

Noclevername
2010-Feb-03, 08:00 PM
Bucky Fuller came up with the idea several decades ago, only with warm air. Air's somewhat less dangerous than hydrogen, or so I hear.

MAPNUT
2010-Feb-03, 08:24 PM
"Powered by natural energy" - Hydrogen, of course. (rolls eyes)

SkepticJ
2010-Feb-04, 12:07 AM
Bucky Fuller came up with the idea several decades ago, only with warm air. Air's somewhat less dangerous than hydrogen, or so I hear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_nine_(Tensegrity_sphere)

I'd live in one. Weeeeee!

JustAFriend
2010-Feb-04, 06:50 PM
Ja, hardly new and radical since the Hindenberg and the other German dirigibles had staterooms in them, making them floating hotels/cruise ships.

Of course they found out what drawbacks there were in large volumes of flammable hydrogen....

Nick Theodorakis
2010-Feb-04, 06:54 PM
It reminds me of a Popular Science cover.

Nick

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-04, 07:03 PM
Any particular cover?

mike alexander
2010-Feb-04, 07:05 PM

Nick

From 1937.

mugaliens
2010-Feb-06, 09:27 AM
Why not? The concept isn't that radical! Don't expect any swimming pools, though...

RAF_Blackace
2010-Feb-07, 09:41 PM
I love this reply to the post in the Daily Telegraph.

Despite modern developments, hydrogen remains terribly flammable.

Is he expecting modern developments to one day render it inert ?

Nice balloon BTW. I suspect the word "Radical" is more from the perspective of a surfer rather than from an engineer or a designer.

eric_marsh
2010-Feb-07, 11:01 PM
Hmmm.....

So we have a high profile big (i.e. easy to hit) target and all it takes is one little flare to bring it down. Or if it's cruising low over a city, just a Bubba with a gun.

Yep, that's radical all right, at least if your definition of radical is stupid.

I wonder how much hydrogen will it take to offset the weight of the armor?

Noclevername
2010-Feb-10, 05:05 PM

Make the "armor" out of closed-cell non-flammable foam with helium-filled cells, it'll stop a flare. Make the gas bladders self-sealing the same way-- line the bladders with reactive foams that expand when punctured. Minimal weight, reliable protection.

mike alexander
2010-Feb-10, 05:16 PM
Hmmm.....

So we have a high profile big (i.e. easy to hit) target and all it takes is one little flare to bring it down. Or if it's cruising low over a city, just a Bubba with a gun.

Yep, that's radical all right, at least if your definition of radical is stupid.

A better course would be Active Bubba Defense, or Mutually Assured Bubba Destruction. You threaten our air hotel, we put hellfire missiles into your Piggly-Wigglys.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-10, 05:28 PM
But that defense kinda depends on people who want to threaten it caring about their Piggly-Wigglys, don't it?

mike alexander
2010-Feb-10, 10:37 PM
Bubba cares about his Piggly-Wiggly.

Of course, the generalized argument is that no one should ever make anything, because anything can be shot at.

Glom
2010-Feb-11, 07:46 AM
How about this one (http://www.realtyna.com/dubai_real_estate/the-cloud.html).

Ja, hardly new and radical since the Hindenberg and the other German dirigibles had staterooms in them, making them floating hotels/cruise ships.

They had such a stately vessel in Up. Very classy way to travel.

mugaliens
2010-Feb-11, 01:12 PM
You'd be surprised at the lack of vertical range of most rifles, even high-powered rifles, and flares. Couple hundred feet, yes, you're a huge target. Several thousand feet, no, you're not.

Shoulder-fired missiles, on the other hand, have a good bit greater altitude.

Launch window
2010-Feb-12, 09:17 AM
Meh. Not going to influence our lives much IMO. This kind of vessel will be something for the extremely wealthy and retired.

aliyahcruz20
2010-Feb-15, 03:09 AM
Air Cruise floating hotel? Well, this is my first time to hear that kind of hotel. Interesting, but I guess we still have to count years before it will materialize. Of course their will be laws that should cover it and it will affect our aerial traffic, we have to consider the safety of our flying transportation. Augusta GA Hotels (http://www.sportevents.com/masters-packages-and-tickets)