PDA

View Full Version : Still kicking

Noclevername
2010-Feb-03, 07:57 PM
Hello again, BAUTers! It's been a while. Just been busy plumbing the depths of new and strange medical problems for me and my family, so I haven't been quite up to thinking hard (and how could I come here and not do that?)

Well, first of all, my mom had minor heart surgery (inasmuch as any heart surgery can be minor); it wasn't open-heart-- they went in through a vein to clamp a small congenital hole between chambers. Fully successful, and she's recovering wonderfully.

I, not content with being healthier than others, had a strange episode about a week before Christmas that's been tentatively identified as a small seizure-- afterwards I had all sorts of weird and disturbing thoughts, worsening in all the various neurological and psychological problems I already had, and was brought to the ER and put on suicide watch (which I do not recommend, it's more stressful than the thoughts themselves, they basically strip you down and put you in a glass room) and given several sets of new meds. I had Cat scans, dog scans and ferret scans, EEG's, MRI's, BLT's, and IOU's; results are still pending. I'm not allowed to drive or operate heavy machinery either; damn, there goes my dream of being a forklift operator!

So that's how I spent the holidays. And how have you been?

Swift
2010-Feb-03, 08:15 PM
and ferret scans, EEG's, MRI's, BLT's, and IOU's; results are still pending.
Ferret scans are the worst. Nice to see that you picked up a sense of humor along the way. :p

Seriously, sorry about all that, but nice to see you back. We won't require that you drive any threads or operate any heavy posts. :D

Fazor
2010-Feb-03, 08:17 PM
Good to see you back, NCN. If you need any credit-card scans to complete the work, let me know. I'll just need your cards and PIN number . . . :whistle:

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-03, 11:09 PM
Welcome back.

mike alexander
2010-Feb-04, 07:18 PM
We are glad to see you're back. Much less stressful than you're front.

chrissy
2010-Feb-04, 09:08 PM
I had Cat scans, dog scans and ferret scans, EEG's, MRI's, BLT's, and IOU's; results are still pending.

I wouldn't hold out for those IOU's especially if Fazor has your credit cards and PIN too.:p

Well Noclevername I am glad you have popped in to let us know how you are, I just hope you are feeling a bit better. :)

Tobin Dax
2010-Feb-06, 06:30 AM
We are glad to see you're back. Much less stressful than you're front.
Only when he's not in a hospital gown. :hand:

Good to see you, clev.

mugaliens
2010-Feb-06, 08:09 AM
So that's how I spent the holidays. And how have you been?

Aside for an emergency root canal this morning precipitated by an 11:45 pm five-alarm pain in my upper-right jaw last time, I'm doing fine! Brush, floss, and if you're a parent, encourage your kids to do the same! Well, that's 50% of the issue. I do, and it happened to me, anyway. I didn't pick my parents, so...

I've spent a lot of time in recent weeks among websites where open discussion among very well-educated and highly intelligent people is actually encouraged, and I found it quite refreshing!

I hope you and yours continue to improve.

Paracelsus
2010-Feb-06, 11:49 PM
Yikes, that's awful! I hope you feel better soon, Noclevername, as we'd all miss you terribly if you didn't!

closetgeek
2010-Feb-09, 01:26 PM
Noclevername, if you don't mind me asking, what is meant by disturbing thoughts? I don't mean details of your particular thoughts, but what is the pattern? Is it like; you are sitting there, thinking on nothing in particular and a random thought pops in your head that you can't shake? Is it a visual? Is it disturbing that I am so curious? I have heard that said before and wonder what it means. Generally people set the path for their thoughts. I know everyone has impulse thoughts but when you say disturbing; do you mean an impulse thought that you would typically not think about? Just ignore the post if I am prying.

I am sorry, I forgot to add, welcome back. I hope the road to recovery is a short and easy one.

Noclevername
2010-Feb-10, 04:53 PM
Noclevername, if you don't mind me asking, what is meant by disturbing thoughts? I don't mean details of your particular thoughts, but what is the pattern? Is it like; you are sitting there, thinking on nothing in particular and a random thought pops in your head that you can't shake? Is it a visual? Is it disturbing that I am so curious? I have heard that said before and wonder what it means. Generally people set the path for their thoughts. I know everyone has impulse thoughts but when you say disturbing; do you mean an impulse thought that you would typically not think about? Just ignore the post if I am prying.

I am sorry, I forgot to add, welcome back. I hope the road to recovery is a short and easy one.

Let's just say it's stuff I'd prefer not to have in my head, and never felt or thought about before. The new meds seem to be helping in that regard. I'm just extremely thankful that I didn't act on any of those impulses.

Yeah, the cool-to-suck ratio of my life has definitely been skewed in the wrong direction lately.

Noclevername
2010-Feb-10, 04:56 PM
Aside for an emergency root canal this morning precipitated by an 11:45 pm five-alarm pain in my upper-right jaw last time, I'm doing fine!

Yikes. Having been through something similar a couple of times, you have my sympathies (both of them, they came as a set).

Gillianren
2010-Feb-10, 06:28 PM
Let's just say it's stuff I'd prefer not to have in my head, and never felt or thought about before. The new meds seem to be helping in that regard. I'm just extremely thankful that I didn't act on any of those impulses.

I'm so glad the meds work. It can be scary when they don't.

mugaliens
2010-Feb-11, 12:59 PM
Yikes. Having been through something similar a couple of times, you have my sympathies (both of them, they came as a set).

Thanks for you sympathies! Mine for you, as well.

Fortunately, the pain meds solved the pain while the antibiotics took care of the abcess/infection.

I'll be crowned next week.

LookingSkyward
2010-Feb-11, 07:44 PM
Let me be the 1st to bow to King Mugs...(just trying to beat Swift....)

mugaliens
2010-Feb-11, 09:30 PM
Let me be the 1st to bow to King Mugs...(just trying to beat Swift....)

:lol:

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Mar-12, 12:07 AM
Ten years ago I was in the middle of a depression. I had thoughts of suicide and nearly jumped off a 22 story building. I figured what was going on and saw a doctor and got some medication. I also saw a counselor for only one session I should have had more. Noclevername if you haven't go see someone and get help.
(I kind of debated with myself to post this that is why the delay.)

Noclevername
2010-Mar-17, 08:56 PM
Recent update, the meds still seem to be helping and reducing both the strength and incidence of the self-harm impulses; one of the antiseizure meds had to be toned down because it was giving me balance problems-- believe me, I fall down enough on my own, I don't need additional help to do so. Still not allowed to drive (even though I hate driving, it still sucks to lose that freedom). I am seeing a therapist now who's an expert in my particular problems, and one of the things I'm finding out is that I've been even more of a train wreck than I thought I was-- still, at least now I know, and knowing is half the battle! (The other half, of course, being the actual battle).

Swift
2010-Mar-17, 09:09 PM
Continued good luck. Glad the meds are helping.

Gillianren
2010-Mar-18, 12:12 AM
Keep us posted. You know I'm always up for listening to woes of dealing with the psychiatric profession. (Which antiseizure med?)

Noclevername
2010-Mar-18, 02:11 AM
Lamictal XR (Lamotrigine). I was up to 100 mg/day and they cut me back to 50. It seems to have helped-- I spend half as much time on the floor as I did before.

Gillianren
2010-Mar-18, 03:24 AM
Hey, I'm on that! At 400 mg, the highest legal dosage! (It still doesn't work, but that's a discussion for another day.) May it do better for you than it has for me--though mine's as mood stabilizer, not antiseizure.

Tobin Dax
2010-Mar-18, 04:27 AM
Lamictal XR (Lamotrigine). I was up to 100 mg/day and they cut me back to 50. It seems to have helped-- I spend half as much time on the floor as I did before.
Hey, the less time spent on the floor, the better. I'm taking enough dilantin to keep an elephant from having seizures, but it works. (For me, that is. Haven't actually tried it on an elephant. :whistle:)

Paracelsus
2010-Mar-20, 09:42 PM
Recent update, the meds still seem to be helping and reducing both the strength and incidence of the self-harm impulses; one of the antiseizure meds had to be toned down because it was giving me balance problems-- believe me, I fall down enough on my own, I don't need additional help to do so. Still not allowed to drive (even though I hate driving, it still sucks to lose that freedom). I am seeing a therapist now who's an expert in my particular problems, and one of the things I'm finding out is that I've been even more of a train wreck than I thought I was-- still, at least now I know, and knowing is half the battle! (The other half, of course, being the actual battle).

Being unable to drive certainly sucks, but getting the 'it's even worse than you thought' diagnosis from the therapist is worse. Hopefully, your meds will continue to help things without any further side effects. I'm so sorry you are going through this.