PDA

View Full Version : The technology to read people's minds

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2010-Feb-05, 05:39 PM
A few months back I saw a segment on CBS 60 munutes on brainscan technology that can read people's thoughts at a rudimentary level. The interviewer asked how long it would be before the technolgy was fully realized- the ability to read people's minds. Does this scare you at all? Tinfoil hats anyone?

Rue
2010-Feb-05, 06:39 PM
Yes, recently Michio Kaku mentioned this (or similar) technology in one of his shows. They are called Magnetometers and are apparently more sensitive than MRIs.

SkepticJ
2010-Feb-05, 07:22 PM
Women have been doing it since time immemorial.

tdvance
2010-Feb-05, 07:28 PM
nah...rudementary thoughts: can read that through facial expressions, posture, tone of voice, etc. Word thoughts? can read that through subvocalizations with a throat microphone. Anything more than that? Need a direct interface to the person's mind---and it ain't gonna happen by wireless! (unless you have a transmitter installed in your head).

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-05, 07:50 PM
...Anything more than that? Need a direct interface to the person's mind---and it ain't gonna happen by wireless!
And; even if you could, you would need a baseline because everyone's brain is "wired" differently. What one signal means for one person will not apply to another.

Swift
2010-Feb-05, 08:04 PM
Does this scare you at all?
Not in the least.

Chuck
2010-Feb-06, 04:36 AM
I remember reading somewhere that the visual cortex is active when you think about a scene just as if you were looking at it. If so, maybe they can show a subject a large number of pictures while recording visual cortex activity and then read his thoughts from there later. It would have to be tuned to each individual.

sabianq
2010-Feb-06, 07:24 AM
nah...rudementary thoughts: can read that through facial expressions, posture, tone of voice, etc. Word thoughts? can read that through subvocalizations with a throat microphone. Anything more than that? Need a direct interface to the person's mind---and it ain't gonna happen by wireless! (unless you have a transmitter installed in your head).

actually:
the brain–computer interface BCIs are becoming more and more advanced.
it might surprise you to learn that as of 2009, thought alone was demonstrated to produce letters on a screen. Technology marches on..
http://www.wadsworth.org/bci/

there is even a Brain-Computer Interface X PRIZE going on right now..
http://www.medgadget.com/archives/2010/02/under_works_braincomputer_interface_x_prize.html

another really neat thing is Nanotube radios.
http://physics.berkeley.edu/research/zettl/projects/nanoradio/radio.html

these suckers are made from carbon nanotubes.
there may be that 50 years down the road, these carbon tube radios may find themselves implanted directly into brain neurons of humans.. they are so small you could place hundreds of them in the soma of neurons possibly giving humans the ability the "hear" that part of the electromagnetic spectrum ..

Noclevername
2010-Feb-10, 04:58 PM
Forget reading minds, I want to know when we can learn to self-edit.

manxman
2010-Feb-10, 05:19 PM
A few months back I saw a segment on CBS 60 munutes on brainscan technology that can read people's thoughts at a rudimentary level. The interviewer asked how long it would be before the technolgy was fully realized- the ability to read people's minds. Does this scare you at all? Tinfoil hats anyone?

god invented it first.

when he invented woman.

apparently the has quite the sense of humour.

LookingSkyward
2010-Feb-10, 08:43 PM
I can't even read my mind most of the time... everyone else is welcome to try :)

JCoyote
2010-Feb-11, 08:31 AM
I remember reading somewhere that the visual cortex is active when you think about a scene just as if you were looking at it. If so, maybe they can show a subject a large number of pictures while recording visual cortex activity and then read his thoughts from there later. It would have to be tuned to each individual.

Actually Larry Hama had something almost exactly like you describe in the earlier G.I.Joe comics. They showed a subject a series of images to build an individualized "map" before they could read back information.

Fiery Phoenix
2010-Feb-12, 04:04 PM
The police would totally benefit from this!