PDA

View Full Version : Eternal cloud cover to shroud the northwest

AK
2004-Mar-02, 10:10 PM
My new scope has finally arrived, so heads up to anyone in northern Idaho or eastern Washington, it might be months before you see clear skies. :wink:

Drakheim
2004-Mar-02, 10:19 PM
Oh no!! The (insert dooms-day theory of your choice here) is comming! :o

:lol: :lol:

Edymnion
2004-Mar-02, 10:26 PM
My new scope has finally arrived, so heads up to anyone in northern Idaho or eastern Washington, it might be months before you see clear skies. :wink:Yup. I single handedly control the weather around here. Anytime a drought comes up, I just take my telescope outside, and it immediantly starts to rain. Its even more effective than when I wash my car.

umop ap!sdn
2004-Mar-03, 08:02 AM
As a fellow resident of the Pacific NW, I sympathise. Carrying my scope outside appears to be the master control switch that determines whether Venus will be visible or obsured by clouds. Merely planning to take it outside later when Jupiter is higher in the sky sets off the local fog generators.

gethen
2004-Mar-03, 02:06 PM
I personally have managed to prevent the sun's shining at this location since Christmas, when my new solar filter arrived. Last weekend we packed up and headed for Northern Ontario where the sky was indeed clear. My spouse, who packed the car, didn't realize until we were about 200 miles from home that he had left my accessory case sitting on the garage floor. Result: clear skies, nice telescope, new solar filter, no lenses. :cry:

Kaptain K
2004-Mar-03, 07:18 PM
Bummer! :cry:

SarahMc
2004-Mar-03, 07:41 PM
My new scope has finally arrived, so heads up to anyone in northern Idaho or eastern Washington, it might be months before you see clear skies. :wink:

They pack clouds in every telescope box, every accessory box, and even in the boxes that mounts and tripods come in. The longer you wait for it to arrive, the more time the clouds have to multiply inside the box.

Kaptain K
2004-Mar-03, 08:07 PM
Also, all electronic equipment contains "magic smoke" that allows it to function. If you ever do something that allows the smoke to escape, the device will cease functioning until it is returned to the factory or entrusted to a highly paid technician who is authorized to replace the smoke!

AK
2004-Mar-04, 12:01 AM
They pack clouds in every telescope box, every accessory box, and even in the boxes that mounts and tripods come in. The longer you wait for it to arrive, the more time the clouds have to multiply inside the box.

So that's what that was...

It appears I've even re-induced winter weather! It was looking like spring for the last week or so, but now that I'm going to set this beast up tonight, it's snowing (and sticking)...

gethen
2004-Mar-04, 02:08 PM
It appears I've even re-induced winter weather! It was looking like spring for the last week or so, but now that I'm going to set this beast up tonight, it's snowing (and sticking)...

Sounds like you bought a nice telescope. That wouldn't have happened if you had a junk scope. :wink:

Spacewriter
2004-Mar-04, 02:19 PM
And a government-sponsored cabal of wealthy organizations, oil companies, and telephone company executives have bought up the patent on Spray Cloud-Be-Gone<tm> and are suppressing it in order to keep the manufacturers of rain gear and umbrellas in business so they can contribute to political action committees...

*dons tinfoil hat, adjusts tinfoil glasses, looks around nervously and leaves* [-(