PDA

View Full Version : snow in virginia!

sabianq
2010-Feb-06, 05:59 AM
so get this..
it is a record breaking snow here in Virginia, Maryland, and dc...
some news people are saying to expect 30 inches (accumulation) or so during the storm (where i live in nova)...

now i am from Colorado, a little town called evergreen 40 miles west of Denver in the foot hills, my house sat at 7000 feet above sea level...

so?

i find it funny how the news media are different in their reporting of the storms..

in Colorado, you will be watching the news, somebody s doing something newsworthy, then the weather, and the weather man/woman says,

"and here is the latest information on the storm that we have been watching: expect a total accumulation of 30 inches in this county. so far power is out for residents in Garfield county, all schools are closed with the exception of Jefferson county schools.. the storm is expected to last until Friday and clear up by saturday.." the other anchor chimes in "this will be great for skiing" "in other news"...

and here in virginia...
"Fierce snowstorm shuts down Washington" Los Angeles Times
"White-Out At The White House As Snow Hits US" Sky News
"Monster storm heads up Atlantic seaboard, threatening to paralyze DC..."

i know i know,, different locations, attitudes, normalcy..
and the fact that far more money is spent on snow removal in Jefferson county Colorado than in Arlington county Virginia..

but i cant help a mental image of a cartoon where one family is watching the news and the snow pile up to 6 feet and getting ready to uncover the car to drive 40 miles to the ski hill..

and in the other frame, they are watching the news on the storm of the century and freaking out, planning trips to CVS, emptying the stores of all food and hunkering down in fear of some world ending cataclysmic event threatening to bury the city in a meter of snow....

i was at Harris teeter (our grocery store) last night before the storm, produce was empty, the bread isle was empty. no milk, one carton of eggs..

i wish i had a video camera...
as it stands right now, the snow measures {with a steel meter stick} 22 inches..

i know more has fallen, but this stuff is really wet and heavy. so it has compacted quite a bit...

swampyankee
2010-Feb-06, 02:16 PM
There are other places which routinely get a lot of snow, like Buffalo. In someplace, like Virginia, which doesn't, even a few inches is a problem. Part of the reason it's a problem is that the public service agencies don't have either the budget nor the equipment to deal with even a few inches.

Swift
2010-Feb-06, 07:00 PM
I'm not surprised the local media in Virginia, etc. make a big deal of the storm. But its become a big national story. Hey, best of luck to those of you on the East coast, but I don't need the minute-by-minute coverage of a storm that will have no effect on me.

swampyankee
2010-Feb-06, 07:22 PM
I'm not surprised the local media in Virginia, etc. make a big deal of the storm. But its become a big national story. Hey, best of luck to those of you on the East coast, but I don't need the minute-by-minute coverage of a storm that will have no effect on me.

Hey, it's only a bit of snow, not the apocalypse. It makes good TV, in that most of the US tends to be snow-free, and thereby populated with people who think that snow equates with, say, massive earthquakes.

Buttercup
2010-Feb-06, 09:35 PM
but i cant help a mental image of a cartoon where one family is watching the news and the snow pile up to 6 feet and getting ready to uncover the car to drive 40 miles to the ski hill..

and in the other frame, they are watching the news on the storm of the century and freaking out, planning trips to CVS, emptying the stores of all food and hunkering down in fear of some world ending cataclysmic event threatening to bury the city in a meter of snow....

Yeah, it does strike us snow/ice/sleet hardened folks as unnecessary that there's this massive "freak out" by people unaccustomed to it. I've lived in a desert region for a while now and most of their severe weather alerts! are downright silly. Last month we had snow and a severe weather alert! went out for black ice. What...all of 3 tiny patches of it within a 500 square mile area? :rolleyes:

When I first moved here there was a "tornado warning." The sky was mildly cloudy. A coworker (native to the area) was nervous and keeping a lookout for "the tornado that's supposed to be here at 6 o'clock." As if tornadoes form and show up according to a prescheduled time. :rolleyes:

redshifter
2010-Feb-06, 09:47 PM
I think it snows even less here in W. Washington than it does in NoVa. The media tends to get pretty excited and things are generally 'the world is ending' chaotic, even with a couple inches of snow. Although, it is hilly around here, which can make things interesting--esp. for those who have no experience driving in snow (i.e. most of us around here). Funny thing is, any snow we do get is usually gone within a day or two; though we've had it stick around longer occasionally.

mike alexander
2010-Feb-06, 10:03 PM
I try to be kind and understanding, I really do. But I lived in the DC area when I was at NIH and watching the fools in a snowstorm was pretty funny. The worst part was all the idiots who just got fed up with trying to drive and abandoned their cars in the middle of Wisconsin Avenue, blocking the street for snow-clearing equipment.

Paracelsus
2010-Feb-06, 11:52 PM
I think the ways people clean their cars before driving them are funny. I see so many cars rolling down the road with little hats and scarves of snow, with various degrees of clarity for their front and back windows. On Wed, hubby and I passed this ginormous SUV whose owner was somewhat negligent in cleaning the vehicle off. We saw great wads of snow being pushed back and forth by the windshield wipers; apparently, being able to see other cars isn't relevant once one's car reaches a certain mass.

Jim
2010-Feb-07, 02:00 AM
... but I don't need the minute-by-minute coverage of a storm that will have no effect on me.

Ah, but don't forget, if it snows really bad in DC, they could cancel Congress.

Or - horrible thought - Congress could get snowed in, with nothing to do but watch it snow and pass legislation!

sabianq
2010-Feb-07, 08:16 AM
I think the ways people clean their cars before driving them are funny. I see so many cars rolling down the road with little hats and scarves of snow, with various degrees of clarity for their front and back windows. On Wed, hubby and I passed this ginormous SUV whose owner was somewhat negligent in cleaning the vehicle off. We saw great wads of snow being pushed back and forth by the windshield wipers; apparently, being able to see other cars isn't relevant once one's car reaches a certain mass.

yea,
that is just dangerous to other drivers.
that "hat" on the car can get blown off an really mess with another persons view if it hits their windshield. if there is enough that blows on the windshield, the wipers will not work and you will have to stop the car blind.

i seem to remember people getting in trouble by the law in colorado if you didnt clear all of the snow off the top of your car...

clop
2010-Feb-07, 08:46 AM
yea,
that is just dangerous to other drivers.
that "hat" on the car can get blown off an really mess with another persons view if it hits their windshield. if there is enough that blows on the windshield, the wipers will not work and you will have to stop the car blind.

i seem to remember people getting in trouble by the law in colorado if you didnt clear all of the snow off the top of your car...

It's even more dangerous for us motorcyclists.

clop

swampyankee
2010-Feb-07, 03:59 PM

I remember seeing a driver pulled over by a town cop (I was working at Sikorsky) who may have given the driver a warning, but was definitely making him scrape all his windows.

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-07, 05:10 PM
My area has ski slopes (okay the Pocono slopes are laughable when compared with the west) - but we're used to snow - driving in it, playing in it, no panic.
We refer to the storm-generated grocery shopping as "the french toast effect" - as bread, milk and eggs are the first items to be sold out.

But having lived in areas that weren't used to it...a little bit of snow was downright dangerous. People didn't know how to manage with power outages - CO2 poisonings. The local road crew didn't have the equipment to clear properly and drivers didn't know how to drive in snow & ice....and certainly didn't understand the importance of clearing their car off.

Swift
2010-Feb-08, 03:28 PM
Connie Schultz, a columnist for the Cleveland Plain Dealer (newspaper), who splits her time between Cleveland and DC (her husband is a senator), had a funny piece about this (http://www.cleveland.com/schultz/index.ssf/2010/02/snow_end_of_the_world_-_its_al.html) in the Sunday paper.

The night before the big snow started to drop on our nation's capital, frenzied shoppers stockpiled toilet paper as if the entire city were about to be scooped up and airdropped into Outer Mongolia.

Apparently, this is one of Washington's winter rituals. "You have enough toilet paper?" one person after another asked me throughout the day on Capitol Hill. "You gotta get toilet paper. Don't wait 'til tomorrow to get toilet paper. It'll be all gone."

What's up with that? They hear they're going to be cooped up at home and can imagine only one thing that could make them sit still for so long. So they're shopping for toilet paper. Makes me think nobody's going to be calling Washington a bastion of deep thought anytime soon.

This is an amusing response to winter for those of us from the Midwest who grow up hearing stories about spring, summer and fall but end up with little evidence to back up the rumors. We're built for winter. We pull out the boiled wool by Labor Day and wear trapper hats long after Easter.

danscope
2010-Feb-08, 05:14 PM
The problem is the population density. You have millions of people living in a concentrated area. If.....IF they stay home, the plows can do their job, and the snow gets moved. When you get a bunch of dummies trying to drive a car ( idiots ^%&^%^ ) then you have stalled stuck cars in the way all over the place. Now everything is frozen solid. Nice eh?
That's what happened in '78 round here. If they had shut down the roads by law, no problem. So..... shut them down. Get it over with and do the job.
But....nooooooooooooo.
So the news people are trying to get them to stay home. When they do, fine. When they don't people freeze and expire. It gets ugly fast.
Life in the big city.

PetersCreek
2010-Feb-08, 06:14 PM
Moved to the more appropriate forum.

ToSeek
2010-Feb-08, 10:32 PM
The DC area is about to get hit again, though this storm will drop "only" 10 to 20 inches.

Paracelsus
2010-Feb-08, 11:09 PM
Connie Schultz, a columnist for the Cleveland Plain Dealer (newspaper), who splits her time between Cleveland and DC (her husband is a senator), had a funny piece about this (http://www.cleveland.com/schultz/index.ssf/2010/02/snow_end_of_the_world_-_its_al.html) in the Sunday paper.

Well, can you imagine being stuck at home, unable to go to the supermarket and unable to wipe your bootie??

That could be a very sticky, and stinky, situation! :lol:

TheHalcyonYear
2010-Feb-09, 02:26 AM
That darn global warming!! It's at it again!! :)

sarongsong
2010-Feb-09, 06:48 AM
How about a cultural venue exchange with Canada? http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
February 9, 2010
...Winter Olympics organising committee CEO John Furlong says hundreds of workers are now moving snow around the clock...There is still snow being trucked in and flown in to ensure we have enough contingency snow if the warm weather continues"...
abc.net.au (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/09/2814707.htm?section=justin)

Click Ticker
2010-Feb-09, 02:17 PM
I live in an area of lake effect snow just east of Lake Michigan. We still have one news station that gets all excited over any weather event. They employ way too many weather people and spend way too much time covering every little watch or warning. They call their weather team, "Storm Team 8". It's all about hyping the big storm, weather it gets here or not. Watching them is rather amusing as you can see how giddy they are on camera whenever something outside the ordinary is going on with the weather.

Their hype led to school closings in December when it didn't even snow that day. Conditions were right for a possible blizzard. That became a "blizzard warning with high winds and 10 - 15 inches of accumulation starting on Tuesday at noon". So all the schools closed because they didn't want to risk bussing the kids home in a blizzard. Didn't even snow. They finally toned down their coverage a bit since that mess.

Now the snow did come the next day and the schools rightfully closed, but that week ended with four snow days in what should have been only two.

Fazor
2010-Feb-09, 03:05 PM
The DC area is about to get hit again, though this storm will drop "only" 10 to 20 inches.

The parts here that got 12-14 inches (a bit north of me) are supposed to get another 12-14 too. Not as bad as DC, and we're slightly (but only slightly) more accustomed to it here, but I'm surprised people here aren't acting like it's doomsday like they normally do under these conditions.

Roads are pretty bad, but my drive to work is only about a mile and it's all residential side streets. Bad because they don't get the traffic or treatment that main roads get. Good because you can go as slow as you need to, and there's not many other cars around. Looks like most people are staying home today though; traffic out front is noticeably lighter than usual.

I kind of like the snowy ghost town feeling it gives though. Calm and desolate.

sabianq
2010-Feb-09, 08:17 PM
photos!
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s252/sabianq/snomageddon2010/DSC_0075.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s252/sabianq/snomageddon2010/DSC_0081.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s252/sabianq/snomageddon2010/DSC_0079.jpg

sabianq
2010-Feb-09, 08:20 PM
my photos,
taken with a nikon D40x and a 55mm zoom

mugaliens
2010-Feb-10, 09:59 AM
so get this..
it is a record breaking snow here in Virginia, Maryland, and dc...
some news people are saying to expect 30 inches (accumulation) or so during the storm (where i live in nova)...

now i am from Colorado, a little town called evergreen 40 miles west of Denver in the foot hills, my house sat at 7000 feet above sea level...

Interesting! I use live in NOVA and am now living here in Colorado! A few ofmy friends back east have had a lot of days off, and were bored out of their skull, so I called a few of them and caught up with old times.

the other anchor chimes in "this will be great for skiing" "in other news"...

There's a few slopes there, but first you have to get to them! And then you have to wait in lift lines which as I recall were sometimes longer than half an hour!

Out here I don't think I ever waited longer than a few minutes.

A friend waiting more than thirty minutes to buy a snow shovel, and I'm thinking, "He hasn't needed one before? He's only lived there thirty years!"

Buttercup
2010-Feb-10, 02:30 PM
All that snow in the pics above is familiar to me from back home, and my sister's getting fed up with continuing Iowa snowfall.

Now, after 18 years away from all that, I'd feel claustrophobic by all that heavy white stuff lying around; sidewalks and lawns absolutely obliterated, houses and businesses simply jutting up from it. :( I'd want the *physicality* of it to go away NOW.

I never take dry pavement and year-long physical accessibility to the outdoors for granted.

Ivan Viehoff
2010-Feb-10, 03:50 PM
It's amazing what a difference living on the western side of a continent (at temperate latitudes) makes to your winter minimum temperatures in comparison to living in the centre or east of a continent. Someone on my gardening forum who now lives in Maryland (about 39 degrees north) has just discovered he can't overwinter plants that grew just fine in England (about 51 degrees north). Northern California at 39 degrees north would be another matter entirely.

It only takes about 2 inches of snow to produce some measure of chaos where I live in southern England. But I have experienced a 20-inch snowfall here: it was in 1987. We have recently had the heaviest snowfalls since 1987. Meanwhile the Pacific NW, Greenland, and much of Eurasia at 30-40 degrees north, have been having an unusually mild winter, and Australia is sweltering...

Jim
2010-Feb-10, 09:08 PM
... We still have one news station that gets all excited over any weather event. ...

We have some who are certain every hurricane is The Big One. (I blame Dan Rather. He made his rep on Carla and Texas tv reporters have been trying to find the same magic ever since.)

Really cold weather here can get some forecasters overhyped. One anchor rates the next day on a scale of 1 to 10, and names it after himself as The (Anchor's Name) Number. Yesterday he was forecasting a cold snap, possible sleet and snow, freezing temps (rated a 5). Every 30 minutes during prime time they did a 15 seconds promo of him telling us to "cover the plants."

It made it down to 37F. So far, no precip of any flavor.

Paracelsus
2010-Feb-11, 10:03 AM
my photos,
taken with a nikon D40x and a 55mm zoom

WOW! Those pics look like they were taken really close to where I live! I'm in the Lyon Park neighborhood.

Rue
2010-Feb-11, 04:44 PM
It was really amusing to see abc news telling people not to use boiling water to melt the ice on their windshields.

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-11, 05:57 PM
WOW! Those pics look like they were taken really close to where I live! I'm in the Lyon Park neighborhood.
Somebody in the neighborhood with a zoom.
I would be worried about what that zoom is doing in non-snow conditions. You might have just seen a stalker slip. :eek: :lol:

sabianq
2010-Feb-11, 06:45 PM
here is the neighborhood where the pictures were taken..

( oops..it cloaked itself.. them pesky metamaterials.. ))
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_index_metamaterials

pm me if you are interested.
thanks

sabianq
2010-Feb-11, 06:48 PM
and if anyone is livin in any of the houses in the photos...

Hi!
:)

sabianq
2010-Feb-11, 08:13 PM
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s252/sabianq/snomageddon2010/DSC_0164.jpg

after the last one..

this is unreal...

i love it, but this is...

yea...
i think ill take that "Think Snow" sign i have on my office walll and deposit it in the trash when i can finally get back to work...

yea...
<off in concerned thought>

sabianq
2010-Feb-11, 08:16 PM
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s252/sabianq/snomageddon2010/DSC_0172.jpg
here is a car

sabianq
2010-Feb-11, 08:27 PM
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s252/sabianq/snomageddon2010/DSC_0147.jpg

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-11, 08:57 PM
here is a car

My goodness, hope the owner doesn't have this problem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCLvu1mD0Fo) the next morning.

Fazor
2010-Feb-11, 09:25 PM
My goodness, hope the owner doesn't have this problem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCLvu1mD0Fo) the next morning.
Ha! That's my luck.

sabianq
2010-Feb-11, 09:53 PM
the owner of this car is on the otherside of the planet now...

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-11, 10:01 PM
Ha! That's my luck.

I love that video....use it often (maybe to excess) when teaching improvement techniques.

Swift
2010-Feb-11, 10:10 PM
sabianq and others,

Could I ask that you post links to photos and not embed the photos themselves. Even if you've taken the photo and copyright is not an issue, some users have bandwidth issues and have troubles with so many photos on one page.

Thanks,

sabianq
2010-Feb-11, 10:21 PM
sure

ToSeek
2010-Feb-11, 10:35 PM
Only about 6-7 inches here, or so it seemed. I actually managed to clear the sidewalks and both cars before lunchtime, which seemed like a luxury in comparison with last weekend.

Meanwhile, here's a cool time-lapse video of the big weekend storm as seen from Capitol Hill:

http://vimeo.com/9295614

sabianq
2010-Feb-11, 11:20 PM
so anybody want to guess how many snow flakes we got?

quadrillan?

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-12, 12:03 AM
so anybody want to guess how many snow flakes we got?

quadrillan?

I'm guessing it's quite a bit higher, given the area covered.

There's a nice article about snowflakes here (http://www.livescience.com/environment/070119_snowflakes_alike.html)

A typical snow crystal weighs roughly one millionth of a gram. This means a cubic foot of snow can contain roughly one billion crystals.

SeanF
2010-Feb-12, 04:44 PM
I love that video....use it often (maybe to excess) when teaching improvement techniques.
I'm guessing the guy in the vehicle doesn't deal with snow very often. :doh: