PDA

View Full Version : HP Lovecraft on science

Pages : 1 [2]

Gillianren
2010-Mar-12, 06:51 PM
When my dad was little, he had essentially white-blond hair, but he had nearly black hair in adulthood. And blue eyes aren't uncommon in babies no matter their ultimate adult eye colour.

CTCMASS
2010-May-18, 11:49 PM
Perfectly put....right out of the gate. No need to read further. Thanks!!

HenrikOlsen
2010-May-19, 08:23 AM
The "shark" bit is a little odd, but yeah. You try telling anyone these days anything about the Borgias but the murder thing!
Such as e.g. one of them being a pope.
Pope Alexander VI was Rodrigo Borgia before getting elected after gaining the support of runner up Ascanio Sforza.
It's actually a rather fascinating time to read about.

Gillianren
2010-May-19, 05:09 PM
And he was Lucrezia's father!

grant hutchison
2010-May-19, 05:29 PM
Well, the Borgias were an Italian family famous for assassinating people with arsenic and stilettos (long, thin daggers). I think that's what he's referring to, though it could have been better-worded.It probably worked better for a contemporary readership. At the time Lovecraft was writing, calling someone a "shark" was to imply that they were smart but amoral; a "hound" was an enthusiast. Smart and amoral use of arsenic; enthusiastic use of thin knives: it characterized the Borgias pretty well, summing them up in a couplet of animal metaphors.

Grant Hutchison

grant hutchison
2012-Oct-26, 06:54 PM
Having recently raised the Leif Ericson model-building thread from the dead, I thought I'd also drop by here to say that I've just replaced my battered old Lovecraft paperbacks with Gollancz's leather-bound Black Books collections of his work: Necronomicon (2008) and Eldritch Tales (2011). Pretty volumes, nice editions, pleasing artwork, and sensible editorial comment from Stephen Jones. Highly recommended if you love Lovecraft. And it'll soon be Christmas :).

Grant Hutchison

Paul Beardsley
2012-Oct-26, 08:11 PM
Having recently raised the Leif Ericson model-building thread from the dead, I thought I'd also drop by here to say that I've just replaced my battered old Lovecraft paperbacks with Gollancz's leather-bound Black Books collections of his work: Necronomicon (2008) and Eldritch Tales (2011). Pretty volumes, nice editions, pleasing artwork, and sensible editorial comment from Stephen Jones. Highly recommended if you love Lovecraft. And it'll soon be Christmas :).

Grant Hutchison

Ha! That is so twentieth century! I've got all Lovecraft's work on Kindle!

Actually I rather like my Penguin paperback collections which have copious notes by the esteemed S.T. Joshi.

grant hutchison
2012-Oct-26, 09:16 PM
Ha! That is so twentieth century! I've got all Lovecraft's work on Kindle!You young 'uns and your newfangled ways will be the death of me yet, I swear.

I also own the half-moon reading glasses, the high, wing-back leather chair, the brass banker's lamp shedding a pool of light in an otherwise darkened library, the Queen Anne occasional table supporting a crystal glass of single malt whisky, and the century-old house with crow-stepped gables and a turret.
E-books actually spontaneously combust in such a setting, even if they're not written by Lovecraft.

Grant Hutchison

publiusr
2012-Nov-03, 04:22 PM
E-books actually spontaneously combust in such a setting, even if they're not written by Lovecraft.

Grant Hutchison

As well they should.