PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Online

Doodler
2010-Feb-09, 02:42 AM
Also known as "The Great Bandaid of the Galaxy".

Well executed mechanics for ship to ship combat, ground's a bit on the linear side.

The selling point, the boys and girls at Cryptic have taken the ugly morass that is Star Trek plotholedom and have finally started sorting it out, and are doing it rather intelligently.

Anyone else playing?

jokergirl
2010-Feb-09, 08:49 AM
Nope. The BF tried it, but he didn't like the two-dimensional ship combat.
I'm not that hugely into Star Trek, so I'll be holding out for The Old Republic instead.

;)

Fazor
2010-Feb-09, 04:01 PM
I considered it, but I'm deeply into Mass Effect 2 at the moment. Keep us posted on your experience with it though; I do need a new MMOG

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-09, 04:45 PM
Nope. The BF tried it, but he didn't like the two-dimensional ship combat.
The 2D thinking is likely to be what makes me irritated with Eve online too.

Tobin Dax
2010-Feb-09, 06:38 PM
I got a free pass from a friend, but haven't given it a try yet. I really don't play MMORPGs (or many other games), but I'll check this one out when I get the time.

closetgeek
2010-Feb-10, 03:20 AM
I considered it, but I'm deeply into Mass Effect 2 at the moment. Keep us posted on your experience with it though; I do need a new MMOG

Rome said he wanted to try it too. I don't like trying new things and he said I probably wouldn't like it either. Maybe I should pick up a copy and we can revive IUCCTUD. That was a joke, btw, I don't even know if the game works like that.

Fazor
2010-Feb-10, 02:29 PM
You'd have to change it to IOPASTKUD anyway.
(If Our Phasers Are Set To Kill)

Doodler
2010-Feb-10, 04:14 PM
The game's mechanics aren't really "2 dimensional". More like 2.5. Think submarines. You can shift elevation, but you're limited to a fixed ecliptic. Its very much in keeping with Trek's conventions used in the series.

The stories are what's keeping me engaged. There are patrol missions, random deep space combat encounters, and PvP battlefields, for those times when you really just want to pound out the xp for leveling, but there are also a series of "story" missions, which, through the game's mechanics, allow your player to cross paths with the Next Generation era's next generation.

Without being too spoilerific, you will encounter the following:

1. What Miral Paris's role as the Klingon "savior" ends up being.
2. Why the Hobus supernova that destroyed Romulus wasn't your typical supernova (this one gets a gold star, very well done, very well presented, and possibly enough to salvage the weak interlude in the '09 movie).
3. The continuation of the Romulan research into Borg technology that produced the Narada from the '09 movie.
4. The outcome of the DS9 crews' interactions with the Mirror Universe. (this one had my jaw on the floor when I encountered it in Beta).

That's just a it of what I've encountered since it went Live, there are other aspects of Star Trek lore to be encountered that are well done, well presented, and should carry the game for Trek fans.

From a game mechanics standpoint, this game is young, and it has its issues with balance, role performance in combats, and some lingering bugs. Server stability gets rough during the transitions into US and Euro prime times.

If your looking for a polished MMO experience, give Cryptic a few months to really get the core kinks out. It does need work.

If your looking for a solid, excellent Star Trek game, get your butts in here, the water's fine, if you're willing to pardon the mechanical issues (like I am).