PDA

View Full Version : The most ridiculous "UFO" footage I've ever seen

Daggerstab
2010-Feb-09, 05:49 PM
Exactly what the title says. :) Plus another example of a clueless and arrogant "ufologist".

If you can bear to watch a 3:40 minute video in a language you don't understand (Bulgarian), here it is:
http://www.gospodari.com/index.php?id=922
(unfortunately, the preview image gives away what the object actually is :( )

It's a clip from a TV show that lampoons sensationalistic news items and other TV blunders.

The story: a news report (0:12+) about "inexplicable" footage (0:28+) shot from the side window of a moving car. Of course, the footage is followed by an interview with an ufologist (0:35+, nice sideburns :)) who calls it a genuine flying saucer and makes the following challenge: "Those who are skeptics, please refute what I claim". The voice-over (0:57+) states that "The video has been sent to be analysed by scientists in Russia, the USA, Germany and France." The ufologist's challenge is accepted by a reporter of the TV show who decides to actually visit the spot...

ShadowSot
2010-Feb-09, 06:29 PM
Can't view the video, please spoil the ending?

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-09, 06:31 PM
It's a clip from a TV show that lampoons sensationalistic news items and other TV blunders.
So; is any of this true (as in there was some blunder) or is the whole thing just a lampoon and therefore just a funny video?

megrfl
2010-Feb-09, 06:44 PM
I'm pretty sure I heard a laugh track. I really dig the UFOlogist beard/sideburns, so unusual.

Daggerstab
2010-Feb-09, 06:48 PM
So; is any of this true (as in there was some blunder) or is the whole thing just a lampoon and therefore just a funny video?

True. A credulous news report on Nova TV that didn't bother to check the facts and gave a platform to a self-proclaimed expert. The comedy show made fun of it and refuted the claim by identifying the object. Perhaps "lampoon" wasn't the best choice of words... (The disclaimer in my signature applies. :) )

Can't view the video, please spoil the ending?

The "flying saucer" is an umbrella-like metal shelter by the road. In the footage shot by the moving car it looks like a conical flying saucer. :) It would be impossible to miss if the ufologist or a journalist from the TV channel that made the original report had bothered to drive down that road and look for possible explanations.

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-09, 06:59 PM
True. A credulous news report on Nova TV that didn't bother to check the facts and gave a platform to a self-proclaimed expert.
Check the facts?

Isn't that kind of passe nowadays? Isn't the new accepted norm just to have some kind of source of information.

Besides, isn't giving the platform to a self-proclaimed expert the new way of checking? Hey; all they need to do is pass off the claim to someone else, and find a second person to agree to make it look like a verification.

It happens everytime someone contacts the news with a gripe. All it takes for checking the facts is... "we got no answer from so-and-so".