PDA

View Full Version : Planet X

J Riff
2010-Feb-11, 02:52 AM
Planet X - well, there was a story I was told, long ago.
There used to be another earth-like planet in our system. IT was the main, the home planet and the earth was secondary...a storage planet for animals or slaves , something like that. Over millenia, Planet X's denizens evolved to the point we have reached now, and blew themselves and their planet out of existence. This left the poor creatures on Earth to fend for themselves, but some people knew about X, and the story lived on through word of mouth. This time around we are supposed to get it right, and go sweeping off into space, rather than using the technology to blow ourselves into tiny bits.

Swift
2010-Feb-11, 03:10 AM
J Riff,

The thread you had posted this in (New Change for Conspiracy Theory section: only space and astronomy) is for the discussion of particular changes to the administration of the CT section. It is not for the discussion of any particular CT.

Now, do actually believe in Planet X? Are you advocating this theory? If so, you are going to be asked about proof. If you are just letting us know this idea is out there, there is no need, it has been discussed many, many times here - use the search function to find any of these past threads.

Weltraum
2010-Feb-11, 03:28 AM
There used to be another earth-like planet in our system. IT was the main, the home planet and the earth was secondary...a storage planet for animals or slaves , something like that. Over millenia, Planet X's denizens evolved to the point we have reached now, and blew themselves and their planet out of existence. This left the poor creatures on Earth to fend for themselves, but some people knew about X, and the story lived on through word of mouth. This time around we are supposed to get it right, and go sweeping off into space, rather than using the technology to blow ourselves into tiny bits.

This sounds like really good scifi to me. This story mirrors elements found in different forms elsewhere, from the fable of Atlantis to Battlefield Earth and Bungie's Halo. It's the kind of thing that captures the imagination. It is nowhere near proven, though, without evidence beyond uncited references to "word of mouth" legends. In fact, I know of no world legends about a Planet X! Just the demonstrably flawed interpretation by Zecharia Sitchin, claiming that ancient Sumerians had documented a Planet X in ancient engravings.

2010-Feb-11, 03:35 AM

Your rational, skeptical self didn't swallow it whole hog, did you?

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-11, 02:21 PM
So this means Planet X doesn't exist, and we have nothing to worry about, right?

Garrison
2010-Feb-11, 09:16 PM

This is also very close to the plot of the James P Hogan novel 'Inherit The Stars', and since that was published in 1978 it would probably qualify as long ago.

Van Rijn
2010-Feb-11, 09:29 PM
This is also very close to the plot of the James P Hogan novel 'Inherit The Stars', and since that was published in 1978 it would probably qualify as long ago.

I was thinking the same thing. As a side point, I hated that book, because it was supposed to be a science fiction mystery, but the solution was ridiclous.

Garrison
2010-Feb-11, 09:39 PM
I was thinking the same thing. As a side point, I hated that book, because the it was supposed to be a science fiction mystery, but the solution was ridiclous.

And kind of obvious from about halfway through. He did try to tidy things up in the sequels but overall I preferred 'The Proteus Operation'.
On topic I wonder how many of these strange CT notions are based on some half remembered sci-fi novel? People remember elements of the plot but not where they got them from.

Van Rijn
2010-Feb-11, 10:16 PM
On topic I wonder how many of these strange CT notions are based on some half remembered sci-fi novel? People remember elements of the plot but not where they got them from.

I suspect quite a few do. Certainly the separate plot elements mentioned here come up quite a bit, and go back many years. The exploding or naturally destroyed fifth planet idea came up a lot in science fiction before the '60s. The idea of aliens making humans has come up a lot, as has the idea of cyclic history and "maybe we'll get it right this time").

Some of the ideas fall out of favor because the science doesn't support them (a destroyed fifth planet) or because it's become cliche. Then there are ideas that still seem to keep coming up in some form, though I wouldn't necessarily call it good science fiction.

Van Rijn
2010-Feb-11, 10:23 PM
Oh, and the "planet X" type story (with a planet coming from beyond Pluto or some such) doesn't come up very often because it's hard to do it in a way that physically makes sense. Though it occasionally would come up in older stories ("When Worlds Collide," for instance, written in the '30s).

captain swoop
2010-Feb-11, 10:53 PM
I remember one about an exploding planet, the only survivors were on a base on the 'far side' of the planets moon. It was blown ouut of orbit and ended up in orbit round Earth.
They colonised Earth and of course lost their technology over the years., they were the first humans.

Garrison
2010-Feb-11, 11:00 PM
I remember one about an exploding planet, the only survivors were on a base on the 'far side' of the planets moon. It was blown ouut of orbit and ended up in orbit round Earth.
They colonised Earth and of course lost their technology over the years., they were the first humans.

Yep, that is indeed 'Inherit The Stars'. 50,000 years later astronauts find the body of one of the original humans and sets off the unravelling of what happened to the fifth planet.

J Riff
2010-Feb-12, 03:42 AM
I only throw this out there because I'm quite sure it isn't from one of the thousands of SciFi stories Ive read, though many are similar. It was a story that was around in the early 50s I was told before I could read, whoever told it could have borrowed it from that month's issue of Amazing or Analog any other sciFi pulp of the day.
Same as mentioning any little strange personal events..I saw a huge fireball, I fell asleep driving, or whatever - ..it seems many people have at least one weird story to tell. Doesn't mean a dang thing, but may contribute to some bank of evidence or other... if we only knew what the right question was.
I didn't even mean to post this Planet X thread ! I thought it was a quick reply in another thread. It was late. I hit the wrong button. I couldn't find my glasses.
I would guess that evidence of Planet X would have been found by now, so it never existed.

pzkpfw
2010-Feb-12, 03:59 AM
Looks like we don't need this thread, then. (We've had plenty on "Planet X" before). If anyone sees a need to open this thread, report this post and make your case to the team.