PDA

View Full Version : Subjects not touched on in the press conference?

snabald
2004-Mar-03, 04:59 PM
What about the trenches the rovers dug? It looked like there was moisture below the surface in a few of the pictures. What about the rover's tracks? In places it looked like there was frost in and around them, where maybe moisture was squeezed out of the "soil". Then there are the "fossils" I mean space.com's article mentioned all of these things but they didn't say anything about any of it at the press conference.

I would have at least like to have heard that we are wrong in speculating that the soil was moist or that there were fossils.

Drakheim
2004-Mar-03, 05:02 PM
Most likely it is because they donít have any definitive proof of the other topics yet. NASA doesnít like to say maybe. :wink:

rsa
2004-Mar-03, 05:15 PM
Towards the end of the news conference, a woman reporter asked this very question. But because she mentioned ice at the poles (I think she mentioned life in the ice at the earth's poles, IIRC) the panel got hung up on water at the martian poles and never understood the gist of her question concerning water brine at the landing sites.

Kind of frustrating.

skrap1r0n
2004-Mar-03, 09:38 PM
the Mud in the tracks was most likely just the removal of dust from the underlying surface.

Analogy: Leave a new car outside for a week in west Texas without moving it. a film of dust will form. wipe the dust off with a rag to expose the surface and it could look wet compared to the rest of the car.

George
2004-Mar-03, 10:48 PM
the Mud in the tracks was most likely just the removal of dust from the underlying surface.

Analogy: Leave a new car outside for a week in west Texas without moving it. a film of dust will form. wipe the dust off with a rag to expose the surface and it could look wet compared to the rest of the car.

Yep. Dust but no rust, not on west Texas cars nor rovers on Mars! :)

There does seem to be a higher level of cohesion to the dust as seen in the tracks as well. [ I suppose this as been addressed?]