PDA

View Full Version : Your school cafeteria's food: Good and bad.

Buttercup
2010-Feb-12, 10:31 PM
As we've got BAUTians from around the globe, I'm curious to know what school cafeteria foods you most liked, and those which you didn't.

My elementary school (small town) made excellent Sloppy Joe's. The meat was soft, packed well onto a steamed bun, seasoned equally throughout. Always. I'm amazed they could repeatedly make such quality SJ's for dozens of kids.

Another was a thick and slightly custardy homemade baked rice pudding. :D Not too wet nor dry, never overcooked, always with just-right sweetness, and cinnamon on top. The warm industrial-sized baking pan was always scraped clean by lunch's end. :D

My sis and I still crave those cafeteria foods.

Bad items: Sauerkraut and spinach. :sick: And you had to take 3 bites at least.

You?

swampyankee
2010-Feb-12, 10:58 PM
Anything with pasta was very bad, almost as bad as <tradename redacted here>. Pizza was horrid. The even served chip beef on toast, which is, by definition, horrid.

Good? Well, they never messed up the ice cream.

KaiYeves
2010-Feb-12, 11:07 PM
My schools have always had fairly good cafeteria food, I simply prefer my mother's cooking.

Swift
2010-Feb-12, 11:31 PM
Given that my school lunches were 30+ years ago, and I usually brought my lunch, I don't have much of an opinion now.

When I was in Grad School at Brown, the cafeterias were actually pretty good.

I did a post-doc at a CNRS outside of Paris and the cafeteria served a very nice lunch (not 3 star Michelin Guide, but very nice) and it was subsidized by the French government and what you paid was adjusted according to your salary (so us poor post-docs paid, IIRC 5 francs).

chrissy
2010-Feb-13, 01:06 AM
:sick: There are a few school meals I would rather forget, one is a pudding, my stomach is turning just thinking about it now..:( it was ginger sponge, yes ginger sponges are quite tasty within reason and the amount of ginger added to it, I am sure they must have had an excess of the stuff and a wrong ratio system going, as this ginger sponge would remove the taste buds from your tongue before it reached your lips and to go with it.....:sick: a white custard, something that had no taste or if it did you don't know because all you have in your mouth is a burning sensation and no taste buds anyway.
Then there were horrid cheese and onion flans, (think quiches) but a flan with a low amount of cheese to a higher ratio of thickly sliced onions, I would hazard a guess at 1:3, the egg and milk were never cooked fully in the centre so a runny goo to add into the yuuuuuuuck! factor. The worst thing was to turn up last and those were the two things left from a larger selection of nicer and tastier things that were gracing the hotplates. I have had that misfortune set upon me on many occassions. Or braised liver and onions..:sick:

Nice meals. There was a long list of the better meals but to name a couple:

Roast beef/pork/chicken and all the trimmings.
A very, very nice doughnut that was finger shaped and fresh cream piped into a split and a drizzle of strawberry syrup on top....>Homer Simpson sounds mmmmmmmmmmmm doughnuts. >/

Chuck
2010-Feb-13, 01:30 AM
I liked my high school cafeteria lunches. Ham barbecue sandwiches were my favorite. There was also chicken and gravy over mashed potatoes that was really good. Fish sticks every Friday, though. That was kind of tedious. This was at Wilkinsburg High School near Pittsburgh in the sixties.

Buttercup
2010-Feb-13, 01:58 PM
Chrissy:
Then there were horrid cheese and onion flans, (think quiches)...the egg and milk were never cooked fully in the centre so a runny goo to add into the yuuuuuuuck! factor.

That does sound disgusting. :(

Fish sticks every Friday, though. That was kind of tedious. This was at Wilkinsburg High School near Pittsburgh in the sixties.

Oh yeah! :lol: I forgot about that. My schooling was 1970s and the district held to "Fish Fridays." That didn't make the Protestant kids too happy. :p We usually had fish squares with tartar sauce. :rolleyes:

Around 1977 we were introduced to "tacos." Only Mr. de Leon knew what those were, and he came over from the high school to explain. It was love at first bite...after you learned how to handle it.

Tinaa
2010-Feb-13, 02:14 PM
I still eat in our school's cafeteria a lot. We have a soup and salad bar, hot meal line and an a la carte line. Most of the food is pretty decent. I do eat salads when the hot line is chicken nuggets, again. They make excellent brisket, oven baked chicken, macaroni and cheese and baked ziti.

Dgennero
2010-Feb-13, 03:22 PM
My favorite was mystery meat sandwich.
That (while attending a college called ADV, academy for data processing in Boeblingen, see
here (http://www.adv-boeblingen.de/) ) consisted of gray bread, angry yellow mustard and a slab of something shredded the origin of which I didn't dare to investigate.
Tasted good, though :)

Otherworldly
2010-Feb-13, 04:17 PM
I don't remember much. I think I must have repressed the memories.

tashirosgt
2010-Feb-13, 04:33 PM
The ghastly steaming vapors of vinegar and turnip greens, the strange puddles of "apple butter", which I never saw served any place else - those are my memories of an NC elementary school cafeteria in the late 1950's.

Gemini
2010-Feb-14, 12:10 AM
Elementary and Middle School food was pretty bland. High School was an improvement with "real" pizzas and the ever awesome Spicy Chicken Sandwich. The food at UAH is actually pretty decent. In any case, as Alexi Leonov said "It's not what you eat, but with whom you eat it."

redshifter
2010-Feb-14, 04:57 AM
I remember many of the schools I attended had good pizza. The elementary school I went to had chili with a cinammon roll on Thursdays; there was always a huge line for hot lunch on Thursdays. And a small carton of milk was like 5 cents. OK I just dated myself...

In college, I remember lots of kids complaining about the dorm cafeteria food. I had just gotten out of 3 yrs. in the Army, the dorm food tasted pretty good to me.

Moose
2010-Feb-14, 03:59 PM
Wouldn't know, I'd always been given a bag lunch. Mom usually insisted upon doing them for me rather than let me mess up her kitchen. My lazy side thought this was a good deal, but truth be told, it was a mixed blessing.

I'd made the mistake of experimenting with foods in the 2nd grade within eyeshot of my mother. I tried PB and cheddar once, (it was edible, but dry and tasteless), and wound up having that twice a week for the next decade. Explaining that PB&Cheddar was a failed experiment would get a smile and nod and more PB&Cheddar. Mom was (and is) a master of tuning me out.

I still bag lunch, usually, but I'm a somewhat reluctant sandwich eater now. I'll pack sandwiches, but they tend to be quite a bit more exotic.

My current favorite is: toasted steak bun, a slice of swiss, havarti, or some other sharp-ish continental cheese, a pork ribette (hot), a _little_ BBQ/hot sauce if I can find one thick enough not to drip, and some baby spinach leaves. It keeps nicely for several hours.

My current college's student lounge has a kitchen. They do a sandwich with "pulled pork". (Don't bother, I've already made all the immature jokes there are to make. There aren't any left.) The almost-shredded pork and bbq sauce goes on garlic-buttered toast. Served warm/hot. It's pretty good. I'm considering reverse-engineering it to develop my own version someday.

For some strange reason, I've been craving the "Grilled Reuben" from my last university. Sauerkraut on Rye, grilled (I think) grilled-cheese style, and served warm/hot. I don't really know why I'm missing it, it wasn't all _that_ memorable.

mike alexander
2010-Feb-14, 06:45 PM
College cafeteria (ca. 1970) reminded me of hospital food, in that it was probably nutritious, but uniformly bland. There was also the Salisbury Steak Thing, greyish, odd bits of lumpy connective tissue (or remnant vascularization, I don't know) and that rainbow glisten on the surface when the light struck it from the correct direction.

My son's college cafeteria (2010), heck, I wouldn't mind eating there every day.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-14, 06:46 PM
My cafeteria's okay, but it isn't nutritious at all. Chinese food, mexican food, pizzas... about the healthiest place is a Subway nearby. Everything else is more meat than anything.

But that's Texas for you.

Salads are available, though! I just get a little bored of them.

BigDon
2010-Feb-14, 07:31 PM
Hmmm, I've seen folks prosper on mexican and chinese cuisine.

novaderrik
2010-Feb-14, 08:33 PM
Anything with pasta was very bad, almost as bad as <tradename redacted here>. Pizza was horrid. The even served chip beef on toast, which is, by definition, horrid.

Good? Well, they never messed up the ice cream.

i think we call that "S.O.S" around here- which means "(naughty word for poop that starts with the letter S) On a Shingle"..

we had awesome pizza and tacos at my school in the 80's and early 90's, but i've forgotten everything else they ever served.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-14, 11:42 PM
Hmmm, I've seen folks prosper on mexican and chinese cuisine.

Chow Mein is fattening. White rice and fried rice, perhaps a little less so. But the entrees don't look all that great either; at the least, they seem high in sugars and salts, but what do I know?

I hardly see any greens in Mexican fare, unless it's processed guacamole (canned?)

I admit that it's filling, just that I haven't really lost weight on the stuff.

The Chinese is from Panda Express. It pales in comparison with Chinese food made by people from China. :)

mike alexander
2010-Feb-15, 04:00 AM
Panda Express is more like Panda Excrescence. Tried it once and couldn't finish it. Actively awful.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-15, 04:02 AM
Heh. Relatively expensive, too.

We also have a Burger King and Chick Fil-et or whatever.

Van Rijn
2010-Feb-15, 04:24 AM
The even served chip beef on toast, which is, by definition, horrid.

My father liked that. He also liked Spam. Apparently, they were what he got on a good day in WWII, so he had developed a taste for them.

I never liked either one.

I can't remember much from school. We moved around a lot and I had a lot of bagged lunches. About the only thing I can remember is one school that had fairly tasty pseudo-pizza.

jokergirl
2010-Feb-15, 11:46 AM
My cafeteria made excellent food when they reduced their cooking to putting meat on a griddle and dropping a random starchy veg next to it.
Whenever they tried being "fancy" (which was often) they made stews. Oh, gods. I still have nightmares of pea-green-interspersed-with-yellow-and-pink-dots mystery stew. >.<;

No wonder all the girls in my class signed up for the vegetarian plan as one when the option became available. It might have been mystery veg, but at least it wasn't stew!

;)

closetgeek
2010-Feb-15, 01:24 PM
I miss school hamburgers, hotdogs, and chicken patty sandwiches. Down here, as long as you pass the criminal background check, you are welcome, at anytime to have lunch with your children. I took advantage of that on certain days. I only wish the chocolate milk was a tad bigger.

jokergirl
2010-Feb-15, 02:34 PM
We never, ever, had hamburgers, hotdogs or chicken patties in school... ever. :o

swampyankee
2010-Feb-15, 03:41 PM
i think we call that "S.O.S" around here- which means "(naughty word for poop that starts with the letter S) On a Shingle"..

we had awesome pizza and tacos at my school in the 80's and early 90's, but i've forgotten everything else they ever served.

Yep; SOS is what we called it, too, but only when out of earshot of faculty and the lunch ladies.

redshifter
2010-Feb-15, 06:31 PM
SOS was/is an Army staple at breakfast, I actually liked it. I still make it once in a while.