PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

slang
2010-Feb-13, 12:11 AM
The 2010 Winter Olympics (http://www.vancouver2010.com/) in Vancouver, Canada are about to start, just a few hours to go before the opening ceremony.

Before we start to discuss and admire the incredible achievements that we will no doubt witness, I'd like to offer my condolances to the family, friends and fans of Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili, who died today (http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-news/n/news/afp-news/luge--georgian-luge-slider-suffers-crash_273772sA.html) in training for his moment of glory. A horrific accident, and a sad start to what is expected to become one of the greatest tournaments in wintersports...

Who's watching what? Personally I can't wait for the speed skating to start (5,000 meters for men tomorrow), and tomorrow's ski jumping already had the qualifying jump today. Our country has athletes in speed skating, short track, and bobsleigh events.

kleindoofy
2010-Feb-13, 12:24 AM
The Winter Olympics desperately need two things:

1. the cold war era rivalry of the USA vs. USSR ice hockey game (who could ever forget Lake Placid?)

2. Cheerleaders ;)

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-13, 12:26 AM
It's very sad what happened to Nodar Kumaritashvili; several events in the Winter Olympics are hazardous but you still don't really expect something like that to happen.

I'm still looking forward to the opening ceremony, though. I got to see the Olympic flame when it passed through my hometown in December, which was amazing. I'm very optimistic about our Canadian team.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-13, 12:59 AM
1. the cold war era rivalry of the USA vs. USSR ice hockey game (who could ever forget Lake Placid?)
I still think Finland and Czechoslovakia vs. USSR were more interesting, whose weren't wimpy hyped up political rivalries, those were bloody enemies from events in living memory.

RAF_Blackace
2010-Feb-13, 01:47 AM
What are the winter Olympics ?

We hardly see it on TV over here these days (UK), it hardly gets any press or TV coverage either.

If Kleindoofy's suggestions are taken up I really feel I will be missing something special.

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-13, 02:09 AM
Soon we get to find out who the final torchbearer is. There have been rumours about it being Wayne Gretzky or Betty Fox (Terry Fox's mom).

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-13, 02:42 AM
The Georgian team marched into the stadium a few minutes ago; they all wore black armbands and removed their hats. And they got a standing ovation.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-13, 04:00 AM
What are the winter Olympics ?

We hardly see it on TV over here these days (UK), it hardly gets any press or TV coverage either.

If Kleindoofy's suggestions are taken up I really feel I will be missing something special.
here is a link to ctv the tv channel that is covering here in Canada.
It has sports like Hockey, figure skating, skiing, curling and snowboarding.

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-13, 04:05 AM
Um, Davidlpf, I think you forgot the link (http://www.ctvolympics.ca/?cid=sbctv).

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-13, 04:07 AM
Um, Davidlpf, I think you forgot the link (http://www.ctvolympics.ca/?cid=sbctv).
D'oh.

Tobin Dax
2010-Feb-13, 04:16 AM
The Winter Olympics desperately need two things:

1. [snip]

2. Cheerleaders ;)
Quite right. It was really disappointing the only times the cheerleaders were shown during the superbowl, on-screen ads were covering most of the shot. Maybe we should star a petition for Olympic cheerleaders?

peter eldergill
2010-Feb-13, 04:19 AM
I watched Brian Adams and some girl I've never heard of (I think she sung "I Believe" for the CTV) and I'm 99% sure it was lip-synced on TV. The Chinese did something similar with fireworks during the last Olympics I think.

Considering I could hear Bryan Adams sing before the microphone was anywhere near his mouth was a bit of a giveaway.

If I'm mistaken please let me know. And I am Canadian BTW

Pete

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-13, 04:41 AM
I watched Brian Adams and some girl I've never heard of (I think she sung "I Believe" for the CTV) and I'm 99% sure it was lip-synced on TV. The Chinese did something similar with fireworks during the last Olympics I think.

Considering I could hear Bryan Adams sing before the microphone was anywhere near his mouth was a bit of a giveaway.

Pete
The girl who sang with Bryan Adams is named Nelly Furtado (http://www.nellyfurtado.com/splash/mi-plan-v3/).

Yes, there were some fake fireworks during the Beijing Opening Ceremony and also they had a song lip-synced by a little girl named Lin Maioke. The actual singing was done by a girl named Yang Peiyi, but the organizers didn't want her to be seen on TV because she had a few crooked teeth. :mad:

Even if Adams and Furtado were lip-syncing, at least their real voices were used. And it's a cool energetic song.

Hey, Canadian astronaut Julie Payette is helping carry the Olympic flag into the stadium!

kleindoofy
2010-Feb-13, 04:44 AM
... If I'm mistaken please let me know. ...
That can depend on a number of things.

The audio and video are separate and can be out of sync after being processed and bumped off a number of relay stations and a satellite or two before reaching you.

Then, it depends on how you receive it and how you have your audio set up.

When things used to be purely terrestrial with rabbit ears, it was easier. Now we're "modern" and things aren't so straight forward anymore.

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-13, 05:15 AM
Hurray, the outdoor cauldron is lit!

Taeolas
2010-Feb-13, 05:15 AM
Betty Fox was one of the Olympic Flag bearers as well, along with Donald Sutherland, Jacques Villeneuve and Bobby Orr and Anne Murray (Knew she had to be involved somewhere).

So far I'm pleased with the ceremony. Very appropriate, and energetic, though I'm wondering a bit at KDLang singing (the song choice in particular). Personally I would've wanted to see Great Big Sea during the fiddle section, but Ashley McIssac worked very well.

And Rick Hansen brings it into the stadium. Good choice.

Catriona Le May Doan to Steve Nash to ski champ Nancy Greene to the Great One, Wayne Gretzky to *we interrupt the ceremony for technical problems* And all 4 of them were to light it... Though Catriona's torch arm didn't come up regretably. And Wayne's going to light the outdoor cauldron. I really like the design for the cauldron.

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-13, 05:18 AM
That's funny, I was thinking the same thing about k.d. lang. It's a powerful song, but Hallelujah seemed kind of dark for this occasion.

I like Great Big Sea too, BTW. :)

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-13, 05:22 AM
Bonus for New Brunswickers, Donald Sutherland was born Saint John and Anne Murray went UNB in Fredericton.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-13, 05:31 AM
I think the whole was good, a couple of rough spots but overall good.

schicken
2010-Feb-13, 05:37 AM
and, yes, I witnessed Bryan Adams forgetting to start singing and then suddenly jerking the microphone up and starting mid through his verse.... all the way from New Zealand.

On the up side, Sarah McLachlan sang live and was fantastic. KD Lang had me practically in tears with the delight of her ability.

I'm not Canadian, but it's well documented how much kiwis love Canadians and their country.

My condolences over the unnecessary loss of Georgian, Nodar Kumaritashvili.

Pete

Lianachan
2010-Feb-13, 12:40 PM
I can't stand the "summer" Olympics, but have always loved the Winter ones.

Not too much coverage of it over here, but it's there if you go looking for it - red button on the BBC is just the very thing for such an occasion. Plus, of course, our old friend the ecybernetweb.

Shocked to hear about the Georgian luger. A sad start.

Parrothead
2010-Feb-13, 03:07 PM
My one real gripe over the Opening Ceremonies was the girl singing the anthem. It may have been the choreographer, but why do people feel it is neccessary to "put something of themselves into it" and end up messing it up. At points it sounded nothing like the anthem.

Downhill goes later today. Moguls this evening. Looking forward to the hockey, the Canada-USSR/Russia rivalry is now equal to Canada-US. Sweden will likely challenge. Czech-Russia is always entertaining. Thing about tournament play, a bad game or a hot opposing goalie can produce some upsets. Canada should finally win a Gold while hosting the Games ;).

aurora
2010-Feb-13, 03:08 PM
My complaint is that it was time shifted for the west coast of the US.

NBC coverage is going to be delayed for the west coast throughout.

KaiYeves
2010-Feb-13, 04:46 PM
I watched the Opening Ceremonies with my mother last night. I loved the Adams/Furtado song, and the part of the cultural ceremony where the young man was "flying" over the "fields" was amazing. (I desperately want to try one of those harnesses.)

And it was so great to see Julie Payette and Romeo Dallaire as flagbearers.

Kaptain K
2010-Feb-13, 05:37 PM

You finally get a sporting event in your time zone and TPTB decide to move it for your "convenience". Bummer! :(

Trebuchet
2010-Feb-13, 07:12 PM

Seconded. It infuriated me that I had to stay up until midnight (FAR past my bedtime, if you must know) to see an event that had ended three hours earlier and was only 200 miles away. Shame on NBC for that. Also, the sound kept dropping out, although that may have been the local cable company.

And unfortunately, the only Canadian channel we have is CBC, which apparently doesn't have the coverage rights. They did spend pretty much their entire newscast showing protests in downtown Vancouver, although they neglected to ever mention exactly what the protesters were unhappy about.

slang
2010-Feb-13, 08:05 PM
The low hill ski jumping event was thrilling. A disappointment for Germany and Austria, I think.. but a magnificent comeback from Adam Malysz, and a decisive win for Simon Ammann, who won both gold medals in ski jumping in the 2002 olympics.

megrfl
2010-Feb-13, 10:28 PM
Netherland's Sven Kramer just won gold with an Olympic record in the men's 5000m speed skating finals.

slang
2010-Feb-13, 10:44 PM
Netherland's Sven Kramer just won gold with an Olympic record in the men's 5000m speed skating finals.

As expected by everyone here... the pressure on him was incredible. And he delivered, and did what he promised, despite being the first of the favorites to race, who all had the advantage that they knew what time they needed to beat. In very difficult circumstances, ice conditions were bad.. Well done, Sven. Astonishing surprise for the silver medal, well done Lee Seung-Hoon from South Korea! Bronze for Ivan Skobrev, and he will probably consider it a victory. Good stuff.

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-14, 01:29 AM
The Canadian women's hockey team is doing great against Slovakia right now -- it's 5-0 in the first period. :)

Bluevision
2010-Feb-14, 02:45 AM
My one real gripe over the Opening Ceremonies was the girl singing the anthem. It may have been the choreographer, but why do people feel it is neccessary to "put something of themselves into it" and end up messing it up. At points it sounded nothing like the anthem.

Downhill goes later today. Moguls this evening. Looking forward to the hockey, the Canada-USSR/Russia rivalry is now equal to Canada-US. Sweden will likely challenge. Czech-Russia is always entertaining. Thing about tournament play, a bad game or a hot opposing goalie can produce some upsets. Canada should finally win a Gold while hosting the Games ;).I agree about the anthem. I heard the opening and thought "oh wow, this is gonna be epic." But then she sang it so slowly! My mind was screaming "Just get it over with!" Though the final O Canada at the end was a nice touch, I have to admit.

I really liked the opening ceremony actually. It gives a glimpse of how diverse and multicultural Canada is. I'm sill wondering whether the pillars rising out of the ground were over the top or perfect though. Hopefully these'll mark the start of a great new era for this country. We'd have to boot harper out first though :mad:

Swift
2010-Feb-14, 02:58 AM
We'd have to boot harper out first though :mad:
Bluevision,

We have very strict no-politics rules on this board. Please leave such thoughts out of these discussions. Thanks

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-14, 04:27 AM
The first Canadian medalist of this Olympics is Jenn Heil. She just won silver in women's moguls. Congratulations to her! :clap: :dance:

aurora
2010-Feb-14, 07:14 PM
Seconded. It infuriated me that I had to stay up until midnight (FAR past my bedtime, if you must know) to see an event that had ended three hours earlier and was only 200 miles away. Shame on NBC for that. Also, the sound kept dropping out, although that may have been the local cable company.

I guess primary coverage will start each night this week at 8 PM Pacific Time, showing pre recorded events. I have to get up early for work, so I'll be seeing very little of the week day coverage, except for some hockey which will be carried on CNBC or MSNBC or something.

Instead, I'll check the web before bedtime to see who won what.

I saw a story that NBC was losing millions on the Olympics.

No, duh.

Pay huge sums for the rights, then show almost nothing live so everyone knows what happened before it is aired and what you do show is after bedtime for families for a large percentage of the population in the country and then wonder why you haven't sold enough advertising to break even.

slang
2010-Feb-14, 11:13 PM
Gold medal in 3,000 meters speed skating for Martina Sablikova, doing what was expected of her, and doing it well. Silver and bronze for Germany and Canada.

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-14, 11:17 PM
Gold medal in 3,000 meters speed skating for Martina Sablikova, doing what was expected of her, and doing it well. Silver and bronze for Germany and Canada.
The Canadian, Kristina Groves, has three more events coming up, so this might not be her last medal of the Games. I'm thinking positive. :)

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-15, 02:21 AM
We have a Canadian gold medalist! We have a Canadian gold medalist!

Alex Bilodeau is the first Canadian to win a gold medal on Canadian soil!

Rue
2010-Feb-15, 02:32 AM
/\ Yes that was awesome!

aurora
2010-Feb-15, 04:45 AM
And the US got their first ever medal in Nordic Combined!

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-15, 11:18 PM
Canada has another silver medalist, snowboarder Mike Robertson. :)

slang
2010-Feb-16, 12:24 AM
Man, the ice preparation in the speed skating is incredibly amateurish.. No compensation for all the humidity brought in by the thousands of spectators, leading to unfair differences in ice conditions.. Machines breaking down... Dutch audience entertainment band taken off the ice after having played two songs (silly IOC rules), audience bored during the pause.. this is not how to keep a great atmosphere alive.

Congrats Switzerland for leading the Medal table :)

ETA: band allowed to return. Woohoo. Silly entertainment but crowd pleasers.

Rue
2010-Feb-16, 02:37 AM
Congrats Switzerland for leading the Medal table :)

It's interesting how the media of different countries gives different priority to how medals are awarded. Here USA is considered leading with 8 medals, even if Switzerland has 3 Golds.

kleindoofy
2010-Feb-16, 03:28 AM
I... Here USA is considered leading with 8 medals, even if Switzerland has 3 Golds.
Let me guess: you're surprised? ;)

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-16, 04:18 AM
Here USA is considered leading with 8 medals, even if Switzerland has 3 Golds.
If it had been the other way around, the US would have been leading with 3 Golds.

Rue
2010-Feb-16, 04:33 AM
I don't get any US channels so I don't know how they are reporting it.

Atraveller
2010-Feb-16, 04:50 AM
This is great - I'm an Ex-pat Canadian living in Australia, and my partner is an Ex-pat Croatian and Ex-pat Kiwi.:lol:

So between us we are cheering for four countries - we are up to 6 medals so far...

(I really like the cheer leader idea - nobody does cheer leaders like the NBA and NFL...)

Lianachan
2010-Feb-16, 08:28 AM
First Highlanders in action today. Ewan MacDonald in the curling team, with a good chance of picking up a medal (Olympic medals are about all he's not won yet) and Lesley McKenna in the women's snowboarding (practically no medal prospects).

Maha Vailo
2010-Feb-16, 12:54 PM
Thank the DOYC there hasn't been any problems with the luge track since they shored up that one fatal turn and shortened the track.

- Maha "slip-sledding away" Vailo

Kaptain K
2010-Feb-16, 01:36 PM
The trouble with the luge track was obvious! You shouldn't put unpadded, foot thick, steel roof supports ten feet from people going 90 mph! Automobile and motorcycle racing organizations have found ways to protect racers (and spectators) without obstructing the spectacle.

Jim
2010-Feb-16, 04:44 PM
I don't get any US channels so I don't know how they are reporting (medal count).

One of the silliest moments in NBC's cverage came on the first day of competitions, before any had been completed, when they showed the US medal count: 0 - 0 - 0

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-16, 11:13 PM
Canada has another gold medalist! Maelle Ricker just won gold in snowboarding. Good for her! :)

slang
2010-Feb-16, 11:14 PM
We have a Canadian gold medalist! We have a Canadian gold medalist!

And another! Maelle Ricker in snowboard cross. Congrats :) Fun sport to watch.

ETA: And a gold medal for LaurelHS in BAUT posting! *grabs silver and walks away*

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-16, 11:25 PM
Do I get flowers too? :)

KaiYeves
2010-Feb-17, 12:39 AM
This is great - I'm an Ex-pat Canadian living in Australia, and my partner is an Ex-pat Croatian and Ex-pat Kiwi.

So between us we are cheering for four countries - we are up to 6 medals so far...
My brothers and I root for the USA, Greece (We're half Greek), Australia (We just like Australia), England (same), France (same) and any other athlete who particularly interests us, regardless of country.

Lianachan
2010-Feb-17, 08:58 AM
My brothers and I root for the USA, Greece (We're half Greek), Australia (We just like Australia), England (same), France (same) and any other athlete who particularly interests us, regardless of country.

England aren't in the Olympics. Do you mean Britain?

I'm not supporting any particular teams, I'm just enjoying the whole thing.

KaiYeves
2010-Feb-17, 09:44 PM
England aren't in the Olympics. Do you mean Britain?
Yup, Britain. Sorry, I was in a hurry, my brother wanted the computer.

slang
2010-Feb-17, 10:28 PM
Lindsey Vonn did as promised.. gold in downhill skiing for USA. A brutal event, several crashes.

megrfl
2010-Feb-17, 11:01 PM
Gold for Nikita Kriukov (Russia) and Silver for Alexander Panzhinskiy (Russia) in the men's individual sprint cross-country skiing finals. I think it is the first event that I got to see live. It was very exciting, Kriukov won by a foot.

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-18, 03:43 AM
Canada has another medal. Marianne St-Gelais won silver in the women's 500m speedskating. It's also her 20th birthday. :)

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-18, 10:31 PM
Another Canadian gold medalist! Speedskater Christine Nesbitt won the 1000m by only two one-hundredths of a second. :)

slang
2010-Feb-18, 10:51 PM
And silver and bronze for us, Annette Gerritsen and Laurine van Riessen, also in 1000m speedskating. Woohoo. Now we have one of each color.

Parrothead
2010-Feb-19, 03:42 PM
Canada-Switzerland men's hockey, close once again, going to a shootout. Topped it off watching Russia vs. Slovakia, latenight (started at midnight for me), what another excellent game. Sunday will be a day of rivalries: Canada vs. US (Canada needs to win to finish top in the group) and Russia vs. Czech Rep. which is always entertaining to watch.

Congrats to Anja Paerson finishing on the podium in the combined event yesterday, after flying off that final bump in the downhill, the day before. Looking forward to more of the alpine events today and in the coming days. :)

Between CTV, TSN, Sportsnet and a few smaller stations, plenty of coverage to choose from. For the main three, coverage basically runs from Noon to 1-2 am (EST).

slang
2010-Feb-19, 10:11 PM
Norway raking in the golds now.. Marit Bjoergen wins two golds in cross country skiing, sprint and 15km pursuit, and Aksel Lund Svindal wins the men's Super G.

ETA: I knew I forgot one.. Tora Berger won the 15km Biathlon.

Trebuchet
2010-Feb-19, 10:12 PM
I wound up staying up until midnight last night to see the outcome of the men's figure skating, which, of course, had been over for three hours by then. I hate you, NBC. 12:10 AM is NOT prime time.

slang
2010-Feb-20, 12:34 AM
UK fans ought to turn on BBC2, there's a good chance for a gold medal for the ladies skeleton event.. Amy Williams half a second ahead with one heat left.

ETA: Amy Williams did it. GOLD for UK after a tremendous final run.

slang
2010-Feb-21, 02:08 AM
Whoa... totally unexpected.. Dutchy Mark Tuitert wins the 1500 meter speed skating GOLD medal! He beat Shani Davis and Havard Bokko. Tuitert has had so much bad luck in his skating career.. I'm pretty sure this will make up for everything.

Tinaa
2010-Feb-21, 03:25 AM
I'm very proud of our guys and gals. They've put on quite a show. I'm old but I still love Shaun White.

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-21, 03:50 AM
I enjoyed watching Shaun White a few nights ago too. He seems to defy gravity!

megrfl
2010-Feb-21, 05:30 PM
I love the newly added sport of Ski Cross, it looks like so much fun.

slang
2010-Feb-21, 09:19 PM
Just saw a few seconds of that.. wow. Spectacular is an understatement!

Bode Miller(US) picks up a gold medal in downhill combination, Kostelic(Croatia) silver, Zurbriggen(Swiss) bronze.

slang
2010-Feb-22, 12:36 AM
Oh WOW! Another gold in speedskating! Ireen Wüst wins the 1500m! After a failed season, no big results... and now Olympic Champion! Again! Well done Ireen! Silver for Kristina Groves for Canada, and bronze to Martina Sáblíková (Czech Republic).

megrfl.. managed to see the Ski Cross on a German TV channel, awesome tournament, too bad Canada for their guy crashing out in the final race..

megrfl
2010-Feb-22, 12:41 AM
I know!! Those ladies are amazing.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-22, 03:23 AM
There was no hockey game.

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-22, 03:27 AM
Your jedi mind trick isn't working on me, I still remember the hockey game and it was painful.

Edit: I hope I don't sound anti-American. Believe me, I'm not. I just wanted Canada to win tonight.

sarongsong
2010-Feb-22, 04:32 AM
...but I still love Shaun White.Enterprising young fellow! :clap:
February 12, 2006
...Today, thanks to his rise to the top of the snowboard world, White is a millionaire who owned three homes before he graduated from high school...He has a lucrative contract with Burton Snowboards, and he and brother Jesse design boards and clothing for the company...
USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/torino/snowboarding/2006-02-12-white-gold-winner_x.htm)

slang
2010-Feb-22, 09:34 AM
Great game, USA and Canada.. right up to the last goal. Exciting.

Here's Vancouver from space (http://twitpic.com/14cdb8), 2 days ago.

megrfl
2010-Feb-22, 02:12 PM
Your jedi mind trick isn't working on me, I still remember the hockey game and it was painful.

Edit: I hope I don't sound anti-American. Believe me, I'm not. I just wanted Canada to win tonight.

To be honest, I'm a fan of both teams, it's hard to see them compete because one of them has to lose. I've watched Canadians and Americans playing together all my life, as far as I'm concered, if either team wins, I'm happy. I'm hoping for a gold / silver combo -- either / or. :)

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-23, 03:12 AM
To be honest, I'm a fan of both teams, it's hard to see them compete because one of them has to lose. I've watched Canadians and Americans playing together all my life, as far as I'm concered, if either team wins, I'm happy. I'm hoping for a gold / silver combo -- either / or. :)
You'll get to watch Canada and the USA play in the women's gold medal game on Thursday. Canada just beat Finland so they're heading to the gold medal game. :)

Larry Jacks
2010-Feb-23, 03:22 PM
I enjoyed watching the biathlon the other day. Combining cross country skiing and shooting (based on elite military ski troops) made for an interesting sport. Perhaps they could liven up some of the other sports by adding shooting. Take figure skating/ice dancing as an example (and leaving aside the debate about whether those are real sports or not). Skater does a triple lutz then whips out a pistol for a few quick target shots. That could actually make the event worth watching and the scoring would be less subjective.

Now, mounting a rifle on a bobsled and trying to hit targets as you go down the track...that has possibilities.

Kaptain K
2010-Feb-23, 05:30 PM
Turn the brakeman around and make him a tailgunner!

Larry Jacks
2010-Feb-23, 05:35 PM
It'd be tough to shoot while riding the luge but if you could keep your arms out in front of you, the skeleton has possibilities.

Actually, the skeleton is interesting enough. It appears to be for people who think the luge is too tame. My guess about the name is that if you wipe out, you're going to need a new skeleton because you're going to break every bone in your body. The bravery/insanity ratio for that sport is pretty interesting.

mahesh
2010-Feb-23, 05:53 PM
...Actually, the skeleton is interesting enough. It appears to be for people who think the luge is too tame. My guess about the name is that if you wipe out, you're going to need a new skeleton because you're going to break every bone in your body. The bravery/insanity ratio for that sport is pretty interesting.

Yes.

R I P Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili!
:sad::sad:

Larry Jacks
2010-Feb-23, 06:21 PM
It takes a lot of guts to do the luge. It takes a lot of nuts to do the skeleton.

Many of the Winter games require a lot of courage in addition to skill and athletic ability. Short track speed skating is roller derby on razorblades. The Alpine events like downhill are skiing on the ragged edge of disaster. The new skicross event was crazy to watch with an exciting finish.

Offhand, I can't think of any of the Summer games events that are as dangerous or as fast as many of the Winter games events.

Lianachan
2010-Feb-23, 06:44 PM
The luge is actually faster than the skeleton, and the slider has more control too. Oh, and they can see where they're going!

Lianachan
2010-Feb-23, 06:46 PM
Offhand, I can't think of any of the Summer games events that are as dangerous or as fast as many of the Winter games events.
Indeed. I have practically no interest in the summer Olympics, but have always been very into the Winter ones.

(I'm looking forward to the Whisky Olympics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_National_Mod) later on, too!)

Larry Jacks
2010-Feb-23, 07:05 PM
Summer or Winter games, my preference is for the measured events rather than the judged ones. When you're judged by the clock, you're either faster than the others or you aren't. There's nothing subjective about it. I can admire the athletes in many of the judged events (especially gymnastics) but can't get away from the subjective nature of the judging. I still remember the days when "and a 4.2 from the East German judge" was the norm where political considerations tainted the competition.

If you want to be a well-rounded person, you should work on your weaknesses. If you want to be a star at something, concentrate on your strengths. The Olympics are a celebration to obsession. Every one of the athletes has spent years concentrating on their strengths to become the best in the world at what they do. I doubt any of them ever said, "Wow, I'm really weak on Elizabethan poetry, so today I'll skip the gym and hit the books instead."

Most of the Olympians have no chance of winning a metal. Even for those who do win, if they're in an obscure sport, they're unlikely to benefit financially. After all, how many lucrative broom endorsement contracts are out there for the winners of curling? Still, I bet being able to list “Olympian” on your resume isn’t a bad thing. How many people can do that?

sarongsong
2010-Feb-23, 08:57 PM
Turn the brakeman around and make him a tailgunner!and might firing increase the speed :confused:

Arneb
2010-Feb-23, 09:48 PM
Probably will, but with the Vancouver icetrack, too little speed is not the problem...

slang
2010-Feb-23, 10:07 PM
Korean Lee wins gold medal 10,000m speed skating, silver Ivan Skobrev, bronze for 2006 Olympic Gold winner Bob de Jong.

Sven Kramer was on track to beat Lee by several seconds, but messed up a lane change with 9 laps to go... unbelievable..

A nation stunned. This is, to us, something like a player in the superbowl getting the ball and running the wrong direction to score a touchdown...

ETA: coach just admitted that it was he who made a mistake and sent Sven into the wrong lane. Perhaps the most professional trainer/athlete combination in the Netherlands... and such a silly thing goes wrong... Unreal. Oh well.

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-23, 10:30 PM
I love the newly added sport of Ski Cross, it looks like so much fun.

The first-ever women's gold medalist in ski cross is Canadian! Hurray for Ashley McIvor! :)

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-24, 02:50 AM
8-2 for Canada vs. Germany in Hockey. Whoopeee.

Parrothead
2010-Feb-24, 03:40 PM
Been continuing to enjoy the alpine, sledding and various skating events.

Hockey! The big game goes at 7:30 pm (EST). Canada vs. Russia, winner moves on to the semi-final round, loser finishes no better than 5th. Canada can pull it off, Russia while having great forward lines is weak on the blue line. As long as they don't take stupid penalties, all will be well. Luongo should start in net for Canada, put plenty of pressure on Nabukov (like Canada played in the last part of the game against the U.S.) and it will work out. The U.S. vs. Switzerland game could be close, depending on which Hiller shows up playing net. It should be a Hiller vs. Miller goaltender battle. Czech vs.Finland and Slovakia vs. Sweden should be just as entertaining. Plenty of hockey to catch today. :)

Go Canada!

megrfl
2010-Feb-24, 09:32 PM
Watching the US and Switzerland mens hockey game right now. All I can say is WOW! Is there such a term as unnecessary roughness in hockey? hehe. 0-0 at the end of the 2nd.

megrfl
2010-Feb-24, 10:23 PM
Watching the US and Switzerland mens hockey game right now. All I can say is WOW! Is there such a term as unnecessary roughness in hockey? hehe. 0-0 at the end of the 2nd.

Game over!! Great game.

slang
2010-Feb-24, 11:02 PM
Ladies 5000m speed skating, 2nd gold medal for Sábliková, silver for Beckert, and a bronze medal for Clara Hughes.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-25, 02:52 AM
Russia will not be getting a medal for hockey.
I almost missed this game because I did something really stupid. I went to town for a few minutes and locked myself out of the car.

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-25, 03:44 AM
Ladies 5000m speed skating, 2nd gold medal for Sábliková, silver for Beckert, and a bronze medal for Clara Hughes.

Clara Hughes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara_Hughes) is an exceptional athlete. For those who don't know about her, she is the only person to win multiple medals in both the Summer Olympics (as a cyclist) and the Winter Olympics (as a speedskater).

Team Canada is having a great day. Besides the 7-3 victory over the Russian hockey team, our athletes won silver in the women's 3000m relay; one of the women was Marianne St-Gelais, who already has one silver medal from last week. Canada also took gold and silver in the women's two-man bobsleigh (although CTV's sportscaster Brian Williams thinks "women's two-man bobsleigh" is a strange term :lol:). It will be fun to see two Canadian flags at that medal ceremony.

peter eldergill
2010-Feb-25, 05:05 AM
Russia will not be getting a medal for hockey.
I almost missed this game because I did something really stupid. I went to town for a few minutes and locked myself out of the car.

I watched the whole game and thought several things...

1. Russia is *way* better than this

2. Why isn't Russia playing better than this?

3. Why didn't Canada play this well against the US?

4. Russia is *way* better than this

etc...

Pete

Edit: Parrothead...still waiting for your reply...it's midnight in Toronto (Wednesday) now and no reply from you yet...hope you get back from the pub soon ...we all have to work Thursday!

Taeolas
2010-Feb-25, 12:49 PM
Great game last night; though Russia really fell apart early on. I'm not sure if they managed to tighten up in the 3rd period, or if Canada's coach had the team just kill the clock to save for the next games. Hopefully we can take this win inertia on against Slovakia and then the US (or Finland) for the finals.

Canada's rocking this year in any case... or at least the Canadian women are. Most of our medals have come from our female athletes. (And we've got fantastic shots remaining for at least 4 more). I think the Canadian Olympic Committee may have jumped the gun about "Owning the Podium" being over. Sure we aren't going to win in the total medal standings, but we are tied for first in number of gold medals, and have great chances to bump that up to 11 golds. A very respectable showing in any case.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-25, 02:30 PM
The Russians lost because their first goalie wasn't playing well.

aurora
2010-Feb-25, 04:08 PM
Regarding medal counts, which I think are kind of lame anyway, something I've always thought that maybe the Canadians could use to their advantage (especially if both the men and women medal in hockey and curling) is that not all medals are really equal.

Some events (winter or summer) are solo events that have a very short duration. Others are team events that take a long time. Think Hockey, they play lots of games, each game has 3 periods of 20 minutes each, and they have large teams.

When the medals are awarded, each team member gets a medal, no?

So one way to count medals would be to count the actual medals. Pairs figure skating, two medals. Nordic combined team, 4 medals. Hockey, however many people are on a team.

I recall back during the cold war, some US papers used to count medals as 3 for a gold, 2 for a silver, 1 for a bronze. That would be another way to do it if you wanted to total up points.

Bascially, I guess I am saying that there are lots of different ways to count medals, and nothing stopping a country from using the method that makes them look good. Unless the method is very contrived and lame, in which case everyone else will just have a good laugh.

Taeolas
2010-Feb-25, 04:54 PM
Well the medal count is just a handy way to very roughly compare how well one country is performing against other countries, and isn't really (IMO) worth all that much.

Depending on how you spin the numbers, you can usually manipulate it however way you want. (Total number of medals, total number of golds, weighted total number of medals, etc....).

That said, I doubt anyone would do a "Total total number of medals awarded" metric, since the few (Hockey in winter, Baseball, Softball and Basketball in Summer when they have those sports) big teams sports would throw the counts disproportionately out of whack. Not to mention you can have single and small team events that take a long time to resolve too. (Curling for example)

Kaptain K
2010-Feb-25, 05:04 PM
Or, you could count on a "per capita" basis! Look out for Lichtenstein and Latvia!

Fazor
2010-Feb-25, 05:07 PM
First; I'm impressed with the US team for keeping at it for the whole game. The way the Swiss 'tender was playing, it would have been easy to let frustration get the better of you--particularly with the way that second period ended!

Second; Holy handgrenades Canada! What was that? Another US/Canada gold medal showdown would be exciting, but now I'm scared for us to have to face them again. Ruthless!

And for what it's worth, I feel bad for that Russian keeper. It wasn't his night. As much as it would have sucked for him to be pulled sooner, it was worse to keep him in there and let him continue giving up goals. And, as hard as the announcers were being on him, the first hundred or so goals (it was that many, right? Sure felt like it) weren't entirely his fault. Give Canada that many good looks and good shots, and they're going to net some. Now I saw some bad errors on the second hundred or so goals, but by then I think he was mentally destroyed. I would be too.

Much worse than the goal tending, IMHO, was Russia's puck control and passing. Ugly.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-25, 05:32 PM
Or, you could count on a "per capita" basis! Look out for Lichtenstein and Latvia!
I'm all for that since Canada has about 1/10 the population than the US does.

MAPNUT
2010-Feb-25, 05:59 PM
Yeah but they have twice as much winter. Even counting Alaska.

Larry Jacks
2010-Feb-25, 06:27 PM
If you go on a per capita basis, Norway is really kicking butt. Currently, they have 18 medals (6 gold, 6 silver, and 6 bronze) and a population of a bit more than 4 million people (roughly the same as Colorado).

Parrothead
2010-Feb-25, 07:20 PM
I watched the whole game and thought several things...

1. Russia is *way* better than this

2. Why isn't Russia playing better than this?

3. Why didn't Canada play this well against the US?

4. Russia is *way* better than this

etc...

Pete

Edit: Parrothead...still waiting for your reply...it's midnight in Toronto (Wednesday) now and no reply from you yet...hope you get back from the pub soon ...we all have to work Thursday!

Limited to public computer, for time being.

1. Agree

2.Canada took it straight to the Russians. Contained Ovechkin (as they have since to World Jrs. in N. Dakota, by checking and playing him hard). Should have pulled Nabakov after the first period. Bad coaching decisions.

3. Only one line playing well, the SJ line of Heatly, Thorton, Marleau. More lines working last night, Rick Nash has found his game. Defence playing better. Brodeur made gaffes during the US game, Luongo will likely get all starts now.

4. We'll see what they do in Sochi (if NHL still shuts down for Olympics).

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-26, 01:36 AM
Gold for Canada in women's hockey! For the third time!

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-26, 02:21 AM
And shutout to boot.

Maha Vailo
2010-Feb-26, 03:26 AM
That makes, what, 7 golds so far for Canada? Holy cow.

- Maha "OMG Canada" Vailo

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-26, 03:41 AM
8 gold.

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-26, 03:42 AM
8 gold medals is an Olympic record for Canada.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-26, 04:58 AM
Joannie Rochette just got bronze in figure skating. Amazing considering she lost her mother earlier this week.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-26, 05:21 AM
Joannie Rochette just got bronze in figure skating. Amazing considering she lost her mother earlier this week.
Focusing really hard on doing your work is one way of dealing with the immediate feelings of a loss or rather of postponing dealing with them until the immediacy has worn partially off.
I'm not surprised.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-26, 05:46 AM
Focusing really hard on doing your work is one way of dealing with the immediate feelings of a loss or rather of postponing dealing with them until the immediacy has worn partially off.
I'm not surprised.
Never thought of it that way.

slang
2010-Feb-26, 08:31 AM
8 gold medals is an Olympic record for Canada.

And you're not done yet either! Hockey, curling, speed skating team pursuit (maybe)...

DonM435
2010-Feb-26, 04:27 PM
In '08, a fellow on a baseball statistics board I used to frequent came up with his own Olympic Medal standings.

He threw out all of the sports and events whose results were determined by judges, and only counted the ones attained by objective criteria, e.g., beating the clock, doing something faster, throwing something farther, hitting a discrete target more often than the other guys, and so on.

The U.S. did much better by the objective measure, suggesting some bias in the international judges.

DonM435
2010-Feb-26, 04:31 PM

Second; Holy handgrenades Canada! What was that? Another US/Canada gold medal showdown would be exciting, but now I'm scared for us to have to face them again. Ruthless!

There was one stretch in the third period of that first US-Canada game in which our guys couldn't get the puck out of the defending zone for something like ten minutes, even after their penalties had expired. Unless the U.S. goalie comes through with another miracle performance, they could get routed if they don't improve in this aspect.

Fazor
2010-Feb-26, 04:35 PM
There was one stretch in the third period of that first US-Canada game in which our guys couldn't get the puck out of the defending zone for something like ten minutes, even after their penalties had expired. Unless the U.S. goalie comes through with another miracle performance, they could get routed if they don't improve in this aspect.

That's how the whole period seemed in regards to the Canada/Russia game, on Russia's end of the ice. Without the keeper being so lucky, of course.

I haven't actually gotten to see any of the US men's games. I think today's starts at ~3:45 est? I'll have to look to see if NBC is streaming it online. I know they'll show it on TV, but by the time they do, I've always inadvertently stumbled across the scores already. I can't ever watch a sport if I know the outcome in advance; much too boring.

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-26, 06:13 PM

She's a very brave lady.

Jim
2010-Feb-26, 06:47 PM
The U.S. did much better by the objective measure, suggesting some bias in the international judges.

"I am shocked, shocked to find that judging bias is going on in here!"

Fazor
2010-Feb-26, 07:02 PM
"I am shocked, shocked to find that judging bias is going on in here!"

:lol: That brings up a funny story. We were watching the men's Aerials the other night, and Tara started ranting about how biased those cheating Germans and Chinese judges were! I mean, just how could they only be awarding 2.3's or 2.1's when the other judges were all giving 5.6's and such?!?!!

I had noticed that during the women's event (and to be honest, my immediate reaction was the same, until I saw a few more jumps and figured it out).

I had to make her pause it and point out that the German and Japanese judges were specifically scoring the landings, which (as best I could tell) was out of 3 points (30% of the score, which I know is correct), while the other judges were scoring the height+tricks (20% / 50% respectively), or out of 7 possible points.

I know there's a little more to it; averaging judges scoring, averaging the two landing scores and multiplying it by three, factoring in the run's difficultly score, and whatever all's involved.

But I had to explain it to her three or four times, with her arguing louder each time until it finally hit her.

:lol:

slang
2010-Feb-26, 10:11 PM
Woohoo! A gold medal for us in snowboard Ladies' Parallel Giant Slalom. Nicolien Sauerbreij finally achieves the greatest prize, after two earlier disappointing Winter Olympics.. She already was the leader in the world cup this season, well done. Silver goes to Ekaterina Ilyukhina of Russia (ok, Putin? You watchin'?), bronze to Marion Kreiner of Austria.

peter eldergill
2010-Feb-27, 06:39 AM
Canada vs USA in the Men's hockey on Sunday at noon in Vancouver (can't remember if it's PST or MST), so 3 PM in Toronto (EST)....

USA blew away Finland 6-1 in the semis and Canada nearly went to overtime against Slovakia, who had many excellent players.

This should be an exciting game! Maybe I'll even have "a" beer.

On another note, Canada did well in medals today again which is cool, but the women's curling team choked in the 10th [I]and[I] in the 11th to lose to Sweden

Pete

Parrothead
2010-Feb-27, 03:06 PM
Heck of a hockey game last night! Too close for comfort, Luongo made a great save with seconds left, to keep the game from being tied. A re-match with the US for Gold. This game will be better than the last. Canada has more lines working. Main challenge will be getting pucks past Miller. When he's hot in net, he's stolen many a game. Go Canada! Bronze medal game between Finland and Slovakia goes today.

Sweden took the women's curling. Men's final goes today, also looking forward to the men's slalom finals and 4 man bobsleigh finals.

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-27, 10:15 PM
Two more Canadian gold medalists! Canada's speedskaters won the men's team pursuit and snowboarder Jasey Jay Anderson won the men's giant slalom. Both finishes were very close.

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-28, 07:43 PM
Speaking of Joannie Rochette, she's been chosen as Canada's flag-bearer for the closing ceremony. That's quite an honour.

Maha Vailo
2010-Feb-28, 10:21 PM
So that makes a very lucky 13 gold medals for Canada, eh?

I'm surprised the former Soviet states did so poorly. 15 medals for Russia, 3 for Belarus (what's up with their skill in aerials - I thought Belarus was all flat and swampy?), and 1 for Kazakhstan. Hope they can get their act together in time for 2014.

Can't wait until the closing ceremonies.

- Maha Vailo

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-28, 10:23 PM
One more event to go, it will be over less then 2 minutes.

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-28, 10:28 PM
Nope, it's going to last a little longer! 2-2 at the end of third period!

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-28, 10:29 PM
oops, now it will go into overtime.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-28, 10:54 PM
GOAL!!!!!!!
that is 14 gold.

LaurelHS
2010-Feb-28, 10:54 PM
CANADA WlNS!

slang
2010-Feb-28, 11:00 PM
What a great game. So tight.. but the play in OT went in only one direction.. Well done Canada, congrats Crosby for living up to the high expectations!

kleindoofy
2010-Feb-28, 11:05 PM
CANADA WlNS!
The overtime pictures were photoshopped. The puck didn't fly as it should in an Earth atmosphere. The colors were wrong. No stars. It was played in Area 51.

Nobody won.

No, wait, Russia won. ;)

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-28, 11:10 PM
I don't need it but does anyone have hangover cure for over 20 million people. We will need sometime it tomorrow.

IsaacKuo
2010-Feb-28, 11:15 PM
We both were 5-1, but we beat you by two while you beat us by only one.

Therefore, we won the platinum medal!

Moose
2010-Feb-28, 11:43 PM
Why can't we count all those gold medals? I wanna count 'em all.

Torsten
2010-Mar-01, 12:02 AM
That was good hockey.

TheHalcyonYear
2010-Mar-01, 12:29 AM
CANADA WlNS!
Damn Canadians :razz:!!

J Riff
2010-Mar-01, 12:40 AM
USa should have won that game. But then, nobody would be able to drive around here in Vancouver blasting their car horn all day because Canada won the Hockey gold. Big surprise !! Its funny how many hockey fans there are who don't even watch the game !
Now it's back to the real hockey season and the negative attitude of longtime vancouver Canucks fans.
Last time the Canucks were in the Stanley Cup, 85, they lost by one goal to the NY Rangers. A riot started here, massive property damage, tear gas etc. An ugly scene. I guess it's a good thing Canada won today.

LaurelHS
2010-Mar-01, 12:50 AM
A picture is worth a thousand words.
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2010/02/28/306-teamcanada-1100228.jpg

:)

TheHalcyonYear
2010-Mar-01, 12:51 AM
Its funny how many hockey fans there are who don't even watch the game !
Even worse, I'm not even a hockey fan at all.
I just wanted a chance to say "damn Canadians".

:)

Jim
2010-Mar-01, 01:07 AM
Okay, so the series is tied 1-1. When's Game 3?

Seriously, congratulations Team Canada.

Two NHL All-Star teams, the tying US goal scored by a Vancouver Canuck, the winning Canadian goal scored by a Pittsburgh Penguin... Gotta love Olympic hockey.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Mar-01, 02:09 AM
Despite who won or lost good games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcrQjHygy5o

Taeolas
2010-Mar-01, 04:02 AM
And I just want to apologize for those closing ceremonies. There were a lot of Canadian in jokes in there... and just some horrible comedy in general in there. The music acts did a good job at least.

And someone should've precleared Avril's playlist before she started. Who thoguht it would be a good idea to start with a song that starts with the line "So much for my Happy ending".

Starting the ceremonies finishing what the opening ones didn't (letting her light the torch) was a great touch. And overall up until the 3 "I am" comedians it was very good. Seeing Billy redo his I Am monologue was nice, but the jokes fell flat and the rest. *sigh*.

Having Neil Young sing the flame out was fantastic. Beautiful song choice and performance. Probably one of the best moments of the ceremonies.

As for the post-ceremonies musicians:
Nickleback, good performance, decent song.
Avril: WTF were they thinking? Downer lyrics and old songs overall
Alanis Somewhat expectant, but major downer to haver her and Avril back to back.
Simple Plan: Great job at bringing the energy back up.
Hedley: Upbeat danceable song. Fairly appropriately if you don't think of the lyrics too much.
Marie-Mai: My French is too rusty to understand her song much but it was dance-music.
k-os : It's rap. I'm not a fan. Still danceable. About what you'd expect for a cross-genre party. (At first I thoguht they were introducing the dancers and wondered if I had seen them on America's Got Talent last year. :P )
And it continues on to club/dance music to close it off. I still wish they had gotten Great Big Sea to do one of the closing songs.

Oh well, not a fantastic closing ceremonies, but everyone seemed to have fun, and that's the main thing.

Congrats to all the athletes for putting on such a great show throuhgout the past two weeks. And to the athletes of the paralympics who start in the coming weeks. And thank you for the great show Vancouver.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Mar-01, 04:05 AM
The Catherine O'hara is the bit I did not like.
But isn't a large part of Canadian history been about the pursuit of beaver.

Fazor
2010-Mar-01, 04:12 AM
I had avoided this thread all day because I was gearing up to watch the hockey game. Now that I'm back here on baut and in the olympic thread . . . great freak'n game! Yeah, I'd rather have seen us win. But I can't complain at all.

Canada outplayed us. No question asked. Yet still, we get that 25sec remaining equalizer. An OT gold medal match? Sweet!

The only thing I didn't like was how heartbroken Miller looked. He just had that defeated "I lost us the game!" look. Which is crap. I'm not a huge hockey fan. I root for the Jacket's because they're local, but I don't make it a point to watch their games.

As of today I'm a Miller fan. He played an amazing series. Not just today, but througout the tourney. Very inspiring.

But at the end of the day, Canada played better overall. So congratulations to Canada for the win today, and congratulations for all the gold (14? wow).

It was a fun olympics.

Taeolas
2010-Mar-01, 04:15 AM
Yes he played a fantastic game. The announcers on CTV were saying how he was their choice for Player of the Game. The Canadian team kept the puck in the US end for most of the game which kept him busy. With that much pressure and activity going on down there, the best would let some through. That it was so close was a great game.

And Kudos to both teams for playing such a clean game. 3-4 penalties overall, and a great showing by all the players.

MAPNUT
2010-Mar-01, 02:37 PM
We both were 5-1, but we beat you by two while you beat us by only one.

Therefore, we won the platinum medal!

Naaah, one of those was an empty-netter, and you know those don't count.

JRiff: "Its funny how many hockey fans there are who don't even watch the game !"

Not to mention Nordic skiing fans, curling fans, skeleton fans, ice dancing fans . . .

Moose
2010-Mar-01, 03:58 PM
Its funny how many hockey fans there are who don't even watch the game !

I watch every single game in the off-season. :whistle:

Donnie B.
2010-Mar-01, 04:54 PM
Does anyone know the identity of the female US athlete who was carried into the closing ceremonies by two other athletes? Google doesn't seem to have a definitive answer.

DonM435
2010-Mar-01, 05:10 PM
Naaah, one of those was an empty-netter, and you know those don't count.

JRiff: "Its funny how many hockey fans there are who don't even watch the game !"

Not to mention Nordic skiing fans, curling fans, skeleton fans, ice dancing fans . . .

Well, we could argue that the U.S. was top seed for the final, and so deserved a home ice advantage in the rematch, but that couldn't very well be arranged. Still, they got a split despite this.

Kaptain K
2010-Mar-01, 08:43 PM
I watch every single game in the off-season. :whistle:

I never miss a game. I dont watch 'em and I don't miss 'em. :D

kleindoofy
2010-Mar-01, 09:03 PM
... we could argue that the U.S. was top seed for the final ...
No, we can't argue that. The US was not top seed for the final.

Airline tickets were reserved for the US team based on their expected placement in the Olympic tournament.

They were reserved for Sunday morning. Before the final.

Reading (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/U-S-players-flights-were-scheduled-for-morning?urn=nhl,224695)

captain swoop
2010-Mar-01, 09:18 PM
What happened to the Russians? Only 3 golds?

MAPNUT
2010-Mar-01, 09:35 PM
Heads are already rolling.

Kaptain K
2010-Mar-02, 05:45 PM
and will continue to roll.

DonM435
2010-Mar-02, 06:53 PM
No, we can't argue that. The US was not top seed for the final.

Airline tickets were reserved for the US team based on their expected placement in the Olympic tournament.

They were reserved for Sunday morning. Before the final.

Reading (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/U-S-players-flights-were-scheduled-for-morning?urn=nhl,224695)

I didn't claim they were the favorites . . . just the top-ranked team from their group, based upon the qualifying rounds. I think they were officially the "home" team in the final game, though that mattered hardly at all.

pghnative
2010-Mar-02, 06:58 PM
Well, we could argue that the U.S. was top seed for the final, and so deserved a home ice advantage in the rematch, but that couldn't very well be arranged.
That brings up a question I had --- does anyone know why the US was the "visiting" team and not the "home" team? Being undefeated in the tournament, I'd think they would have been the higher seed for the final.

Obviously, regardless of "home/away" designation, the Canadian team would have had more fan support, but the official "home" team in hockey has a couple of rules advantages (most notably, having final line changes before a restart, and positioning on faceoffs*).

*The announcers confirmed the first advantage, I'm assuming the second as well, though maybe that's an NHL-only rule

Parrothead
2010-Mar-02, 07:19 PM
Awesome game! It set a viewership record in Canada, replacing the earlier Canada vs US game. Glad that it got settled in OT and didn't go to a shoot-out. Great overall result for Canada, these games. :) For younger canadians, this Crosby goal will be their Henderson '72 or Gretzky feeding Lemieux Canada Cup '87 winner.

It will be decided in the next couple of years, whether the NHL continues to send players to the Olympics, many issues between NHL/IIHF/IOC to be ironed out, as well as a new CBA.

Loved the closing ceremonies up to the concert part, once the concert portion started, that was it for me.

Fazor
2010-Mar-02, 09:57 PM
That brings up a question I had --- does anyone know why the US was the "visiting" team and not the "home" team? Being undefeated in the tournament, I'd think they would have been the higher seed for the final.

Obviously, regardless of "home/away" designation, the Canadian team would have had more fan support, but the official "home" team in hockey has a couple of rules advantages (most notably, having final line changes before a restart, and positioning on faceoffs*).

*The announcers confirmed the first advantage, I'm assuming the second as well, though maybe that's an NHL-only rule

According to the announcers, we (the US) were the home team. I was unaware of any advantages (I'm not a big NHL fan, but I watch the Jackets occasionally). It could be that they didn't award those advantages the same way in the Olympics. Maybe by coin-toss? :-P

slang
2010-Mar-02, 10:06 PM
FWIW: IIHF-NHL Rule Differences (http://www.iihf.com/channels10/olympics-2010/home/men/rules.html)

kleindoofy
2010-Mar-02, 10:09 PM
... home team. I was unaware of any advantages ...
In a tournament like that I think it only has to do with which locker room and bench a team gets and in which order the names are listed in the score**.

Normally a home team is responsible for the condition of the ice, stadium security, hosting the referees, etc.. I doubt *very* much that that is true of the Olympics.

**[edit: probably also the color of the uniform, i.e. dark or light]

pghnative
2010-Mar-03, 02:01 AM
In a tournament like that I think it only has to do with which locker room and bench a team gets and in which order the names are listed in the score**.

Normally a home team is responsible for the condition of the ice, stadium security, hosting the referees, etc.. I doubt *very* much that that is true of the Olympics.

**[edit: probably also the color of the uniform, i.e. dark or light]In hockey, there's two not insignificant differences. First, at any stop in play (penalty, offsides, puck in the stands, etc), the Away team must choose their players first, and the Home team gets to react. This allows the Home coach an advantage in setting up favorable matchups for his/her team.

Second (at least in the NHL), at every faceoff, the Away player must touch their stick to the ice first (and can't lift it until the puck is dropped). The Home player therefore has a slight advantage in how they align their stick before the faceoff.

Edited to add --- most of this seems incorrect --- see post 168 below

pghnative
2010-Mar-03, 02:08 AM
According to the announcers, we (the US) were the home team.Certainly the TV indicated that Canada was home, based on score positioning, and that's not something I've EVER seen a TV broadcaster get wrong (not sure when in history this was standardized). And I'd have sworn the announcers described Canada as having the rules advantage
I was unaware of any advantages.see previous post
Maybe by coin-toss? Could be.

Re the game itself, I was torn. My nationalistic side wanted the USA to win, but I was very happy to see Sid the Kid be the hero (Fazor and perhaps a few others will remember that I root for anything and everything Pittsburgh). Maybe this will spur him on to lead the Penguins to a repeat Stanley Cup.

pghnative
2010-Mar-03, 02:14 AM
Based on the link provided by slang, it seems that the faceoff rule I've described isn't true for the Olympics. Instead of the Away player placing their stick first, the Olympic rule is that "the attacking" player must do so.

I can assume who the "attacking" player is, based on which part of the ice the faceoff is in. Not sure how they do it for center-ice faceoffs though.

The link also implies that the line change rule is different also, but I'm not 100% sure how to interpret it, so I'll stop typing.:sad:

kleindoofy
2010-Mar-03, 02:22 AM
... Re the game itself, I was torn. ...
I went the easy way.

I just thought to myself: Go Red Sox! ;)

Gomar
2010-Mar-03, 04:17 AM
The closing ceremony was the stupidest thing I've ever seen on TV in my life. What was the meaning of that lever that M.J.Fox pulled? and 999?! huh?
What was Bill Shatner blabbering about? Anyway, I just shut it off.

LaurelHS
2010-Mar-03, 07:02 PM
Me too, I got bored and changed the channel. I loved the opening ceremony, though.

Trebuchet
2010-Mar-03, 08:11 PM
What closing ceremony? NBC, in its infinite wisdom, chose not to air it, in the same time zone that it happened, until three hours later. I went to bed.