PDA

View Full Version : I hate my Bronchitis

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-15, 01:08 AM
It's acting up again.

Mostly a sinus cold, really; sneezing, sniffling, and coughing. But my bronchitis makes any sick coughing overly extravagant. It's very deep, loud, and really vibrates the vocal cords (It's hard to explain; it just sounds really really "deep"). It's turned heads, and anyone that hears me cough deeply shows immediate concern, as if I'm about to die on them.

I finally got myself to get some Dayquil and Nyquil. I'm also considering not going to class tomorrow; it'll put me behind a little in my studies, but I think I can keep up. On Tuesday, I have no choice... I have an exam to take. And since this week is test week, I have to hope to all hell that I get better by Friday. I have a Seriation report to turn in for Archaeology, and a midterm in Chinese. ... ... Yay.

I also got cough drops, apple juice with extra vitamin C, and I take tylenol to keep down the headaches that come from coughing too hard and too much. The Dayquil has been spectacular at keeping the coughing down, though.

Sigh.

Mister Earl
2010-Feb-15, 01:19 AM
Ugh. I haven't had Bronchitis in a long time, but if memory serves, it isn't fun at all. All coughing with no respite. I hope you feel better soon!

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-15, 02:34 AM
Honestly, I would like to think that someday I'll think of Bronchitis in the past tense. As it is, it acts up nearly every winter. The colder the winter, the worse the Bronchitis.

According to the doctor I went to in Heidelberg, he could nearly set his calendar based on my Bronchitis.

AstroRockHunter
2010-Feb-15, 02:57 AM
I was fortunate(?) enough, a few years ago during the cold and flu season, to get a cold, the flu and acute bronchitis at the same time!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-15, 03:10 AM
I was fortunate(?) enough, a few years ago during the cold and flu season, to get a cold, the flu and acute bronchitis at the same time!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

The fact you have a parenthetical question mark after "fortunate" tells me you're insane.

korjik
2010-Feb-15, 03:19 AM
Dude, if you are that bad off, talk to the Profs and get some time. Most should be pretty good about that sort of thing, especially if you drag yourself to their office and hack up a lung for them.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-15, 03:24 AM
There's not much going on tomorrow, I think. Chinese is going over a new lesson (I can find out what I missed by visiting the prof in her office on Wednesday), Archaeology I just need to borrow someone's notes, and Chinese History is just forwarding the lecture a bit more; I can follow through the book.

I'm hoping to be better by Tuesday. If not, then I'll have to go to the doctor and get a slip (and some better medication!)

Swift
2010-Feb-15, 03:36 AM
Honestly, I would like to think that someday I'll think of Bronchitis in the past tense. As it is, it acts up nearly every winter. The colder the winter, the worse the Bronchitis.

According to the doctor I went to in Heidelberg, he could nearly set his calendar based on my Bronchitis.
I feel your pain man, though my problems are more often my sinuses. Hope you get better soon. If not, maybe you need some stronger meds.

If this is a problem you have every winter, it might be a problem with winter, so to speak. I have sinus problems every winter. The cause is the dryness of the air, made worse by heating systems. I use a humidifier at home, and some saline nose sprays when I'm out and about. Maybe something similar would help you.

mike alexander
2010-Feb-15, 03:47 AM
My sympathies. I went through a period of about a decade from my mid 40's to mid 50's when I seemed to get a bad case of bronchitis (the viral kind) every other year.

If you must get relief, codeine is excellent. Some mights it was the only thing that let me get any sleep.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-15, 03:52 AM
I tried codeine. It was god awful tasting... I hated it.

I think I had a night terror while on it. I hallucinated some kind of sound, at least, sounding like a banshee going around the house quickly and screaming, while not being able to get up.

I told the doctor about it, and he agreed; it was the codeine.

Graybeard6
2010-Feb-15, 08:23 AM
There are some very effective medications you can take, but none of us are competent to prescribe over the internet. I lost most of a lung to cancer 13 years ago (no sign of recurrence) and have several other respiratory problems, all controlled by medication. Not all drugs are bad; get thee to a pulmonolgist.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-15, 11:30 AM
I went to one in Germany (yes, someone who specialized specifically on the lungs); he ran me through x-rays, they had me breathe into an apparatus, and everything. Trust me, it's not lung cancer. I was diagnosed as having Bronchitis. :)

I went to him again the following year, same season.

Though I'm starting to think that maybe I should go to a doctor this time. This feels a bit different. My breathing makes noises every once in a while, and when I woke up from about 3 hours of sleep, my throat was in pain (not just a normal sore throat!) It hurts to cough now.

I'm not sure Tylenol and Dayquil are going to cut it. I haven't gone to a doctor here in San Antonio yet, and I'm uncomfortable with strange hospitals (something I should get over, assuredly). I'm pondering if I should just go to the clinic at my school (something I've neglected to do a while now).

EDIT: Called my mom. She didn't seem to take it all that seriously. I guess saying that I was going to go to the school clinic if it got worse reassured her. She's encouraging me to study for my exams.

However, my throat is feeling a bit better. The Tylenol probably kicked in.

mahesh
2010-Feb-15, 11:45 AM
... Archaeology I just need to borrow someone's notes...

you mean burrow...

I'm hoping to be better by Tuesday. If not, then I'll have to go to the doctor and get a slip (and some better medication!)
well SoluspolusLupus...I hope you get better today, soon...

...better medication...have you tried (would you like to) anything homeopathic ?

...end/justification/means and all that...

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-15, 11:49 AM
...better medication...have you tried (would you like to) anything homeopathic ?

...end/justification/means and all that...

No thanks. I'd prefer to stick with what works.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swDpWNKB5Co

Tinaa
2010-Feb-15, 11:55 AM
I tried codeine. It was god awful tasting... I hated it.

I think I had a night terror while on it. I hallucinated some kind of sound, at least, sounding like a banshee going around the house quickly and screaming, while not being able to get up.

I told the doctor about it, and he agreed; it was the codeine.

Codeine gave me nightmares that spiders were building a web around me while chittering about how they were going to kill me. Terrifying.

Swift
2010-Feb-15, 02:34 PM
Though I'm starting to think that maybe I should go to a doctor this time. This feels a bit different. My breathing makes noises every once in a while, and when I woke up from about 3 hours of sleep, my throat was in pain (not just a normal sore throat!) It hurts to cough now.

I'm not sure Tylenol and Dayquil are going to cut it. I haven't gone to a doctor here in San Antonio yet, and I'm uncomfortable with strange hospitals (something I should get over, assuredly). I'm pondering if I should just go to the clinic at my school (something I've neglected to do a while now).

I would suggest at least one of those two: doctor or school clinic. Clinic might be faster and easier, but would at least get a medical professional to take a look.

Donnie B.
2010-Feb-15, 02:59 PM
I had an episode of respiratory illness in college. Man, that was rough... in the category beyond "I think I'm going to die", all the way to "I'm afraid maybe I'm not gonna die". Horrible coughing, chills (even on a heated waterbed under an electric blanket!), sweats, nightmares, the works.

But I foolishly didn't go to the university's health service at first because it was my first semester back in school after a long hiatus and I had finals coming up. So I toughed it out, did my studying, went and took my final, then went straight from there to the clinic.

They listened to my lungs and said, "well, you don't sound too bad, but let's get an x-ray to make sure." (By this time I was over the worst of it.) When the x-ray came back, they said, "Uh... do you want to be hospitalized?" Turned out I had pneumonia, in three of the four lobes of my lungs.

It cleared up quickly with antibiotics and rest (ah, youth!), but I nearly made the Big Mistake like Jim Henson did. Since then I've followed a "better safe than sorry" policy with getting medical care.

Oh, by the way -- I got a 198 out of 200 on that Calculus final exam.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-15, 04:00 PM
Heh. Congratz.

This does feel different. Yeah. I think I'm gonna go to the school clinic; if not today, then tomorrow, when I have my exam. It's painful and a little worrying, but not *so* terrible so far.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-17, 11:06 PM
Well, it's confirmed: Bronchitis.

The doctor prescribed antibiotics, cough suppressants, and two kinds of inhalants.

Yay!

LookingSkyward
2010-Feb-17, 11:11 PM
Hope the meds work qucikly, and it clears up soon!

Swift
2010-Feb-17, 11:14 PM
Better living through chemistry. ;)

Get well soon.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-22, 05:51 PM
Well, after a few days of antibiotics, inhalers, and cough suppressant, I'm STILL coughing up like hell. Last night I coughed so hard, I thought my head would explode; I would have to settle for an intense headache instead.

I've missed nearly a week of class, because my coughing was just too intense and my throat felt like it was on fire. At least that last bit has cleared up, but I'm still dealing with coughing every minute or so. I can't really walk to and from school anymore, because too much physical activity just starts it up again. And I'm feeling hot and sweaty after some coughing and I still don't get why; I'm pretty damn sure it's not a fever.

Meanwhile, my apartment is a mess (has been for months), I'm still lethargic as always, I still have an ADHD problem that I probably should look into medicating, and I'm just tired. I'm tired of having trouble with languages, I'm tired of being behind in class, I'm tired of the fact that I can't even drop a class without losing my student health insurance (and I can't afford anything else), I'm tired of being behind, I'm tired of not knowing how to socialize in all my years of existence, I'm tired of strange stares because I never know the right thing to say, I'm tired of having to constantly apologize to my instructors and pray for leniency, I'm tired of reports for which I have no clue how to write, I'm just tired of life right now.

I don't know what to do. I don't imagine having much of a future years from now. I can barely hold it together as a student, much less a 9 to 5 job.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-22, 06:00 PM
I kind of know how you feel. My problem is asthma and allergies. A few weeks ago a coughed so bad my stomach and back ached for days.

Fazor
2010-Feb-22, 06:35 PM
If it helps, lupus, I think we've all felt like that. I sure have / do. Although I don't know if having anything in common with my mental state would make anyone feel better. :lol:

Look at it this way: at least you're still in school and thus have some decent leverage on what direction you take. Could be worse; you could be working a job that doesn't suit you what-so-ever, but kind of trapped by needing the paycheck. Not that I ever feel that way. Bah.

Tobin Dax
2010-Feb-22, 07:10 PM
Well, after a few days of antibiotics, inhalers, and cough suppressant, I'm STILL coughing up like hell. Last night I coughed so hard, I thought my head would explode; I would have to settle for an intense headache instead.

I've missed nearly a week of class, because my coughing was just too intense and my throat felt like it was on fire. At least that last bit has cleared up, but I'm still dealing with coughing every minute or so. I can't really walk to and from school anymore, because too much physical activity just starts it up again. And I'm feeling hot and sweaty after some coughing and I still don't get why; I'm pretty damn sure it's not a fever.

Meanwhile, my apartment is a mess (has been for months), I'm still lethargic as always, I still have an ADHD problem that I probably should look into medicating, and I'm just tired. I'm tired of having trouble with languages, I'm tired of being behind in class, I'm tired of the fact that I can't even drop a class without losing my student health insurance (and I can't afford anything else), I'm tired of being behind, I'm tired of not knowing how to socialize in all my years of existence, I'm tired of strange stares because I never know the right thing to say, I'm tired of having to constantly apologize to my instructors and pray for leniency, I'm tired of reports for which I have no clue how to write, I'm just tired of life right now.

I don't know what to do. I don't imagine having much of a future years from now. I can barely hold it together as a student, much less a 9 to 5 job.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. (For pretty much all of it.)

I had pneumonia my freshman year of college. That was a horrible month. Walk to class, cough uncontrollably for the first 10 minutes of lecture, walk home, cough for another ten minutes. Repeat for every class. It was no fun, and the other stresses didn't help the situation.

Rough patches happen, but it will get better. OTB is a great place to vent when you need to. :) PMs work, too.

Swift
2010-Feb-23, 02:45 AM
Sorry man, I wish I had some great advice. If you don't start getting better soon, you might want to pay the doctor another visit. Hang in there.

megrfl
2010-Feb-23, 03:51 AM

Having suffered with asthma and at times asthmatic bronchitis my whole life I know what you are suffering and it is hell. Twice I have had to have x-rays done to see if I fractured my ribs. The antibiotics probably aren't working because it isn't bacterial. Have you had your sputum tested? My best advice is to sip warm honey/lemon tea with loads of honey, almost constantly and instead of coughing, try clearing your throat (dredge it up), If that makes sense. Definitely stay in touch with your doctor.

One thing at a time. First get well and then clean your apartment, make that a priority. Yes, even over school. You have to get organized. See a doctor about your ADHD and explain to him exactly what you have written here. Many college students get depressed.
Reaccess your goals, what are you trying to achieve and for whom, to what end. Ultimately it should be for your inner peace and happiness/joy, not what you think people want you to do or be. If it disappoints someone, oh well, you have to live your life.

Being awkward in social situations is not uncommon. You know those most popular people, they have regrets and omgosh moments, where they wish I didn't do/say that and everyone is self-conscious to some degree.

You may need to volunteer, get a casual job, so you are thrust into social situations while perfoming a task; it's sometimes the only way to stop being self aware.

Jens
2010-Feb-23, 08:08 AM

If it's any consolation, I had trouble holding it together as a student (ADHD!) and I still have trouble holding it together in a 9 to 5 job. So it doesn't necessarily get harder, or easier, just different. Some things maybe have to be accepted. About the sociability, you can be pretty sure that 90% of the people frequenting this board are the same, so at least you've got lots of company. And about the language thing, you shouldn't be too hard on yourself. I've just been reading a book written by an autistic guy who can speak ten languages fairly fluently. On one hand, OK, I'm envious. But it's part of an overall personality. I'm not autistic, and I can be grateful for that. ADHD has a lot of downsides, but it's also part of being a certain type of person and can have upsides.

Jens
2010-Feb-23, 08:10 AM
You may need to volunteer, get a casual job, so you are thrust into social situations while performing a task; it's sometimes the only way to stop being self aware.

That's actually good advice. Seeing things as challenges to overcome is probably a healthy way to do things.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-23, 02:46 PM
Well, I'm getting together with a GURPS group on Sunday, where they're running a bit of Transhuman Space-esque kind of adventure, inspired by Firefly/Cowboy Bebop. I'm looking forward to that. :)

Fazor
2010-Feb-23, 02:48 PM
:lol: I always like those acronyms. "GURPS" group sounds like some kind of support group for people with a uncureable but manageable digestive disease. :)

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-23, 03:05 PM
I admit, "GURPS" does sound kind of odd.

It's a good system if you don't mind the rules, though.

Buttercup
2010-Feb-23, 03:57 PM
Get better! :D

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-24, 02:34 AM
Bronchitis is in double strength here. I'm at my last rope.

I'm dropping Chinese. My mom refuses to let me drop all my courses, so I'll just try to soldier on for the rest.

Fazor
2010-Feb-24, 02:35 AM
I'm curious soluslupus, what are you majoring in?

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-24, 02:39 AM
History, with a minor in Archaeology.

Fazor
2010-Feb-24, 02:41 AM
Oh cool. After my rant in my other thread today, I decided to re-fill out my FASFA info just to see. There's a college here that I could commute to that has an associate's degree in Archaeology. It might be a good start for a career change. I probably won't do it though.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-24, 02:44 AM
Well, a career change, especially if you need to go back to school, is nothing to decide on lightly. It would probably be best if you could have it both ways; study while working. Hard, I know, but I've heard of some people pulling it off (I couldn't!)

Fazor
2010-Feb-24, 02:49 AM
I worked full time and maintained full time student status when I got my last degree. It wasn't bad, but I didn't have a home to pay for at the time, and plans for children were still long off. Not that I plan on children soon, but it's certainly a possibility in the next 4 years.

If I went into a field like that, I'd be in school for a minimum of 4 years. So that could be interesting.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-24, 02:55 AM
You'd have to decide if you really like this. Bear with me:

Do you enjoy sitting at a desk, planning your next excavation, or poring over thousands of arrowheads found at a site, organizing them based on when they were found, changes that develop over time, and then writing a report on it?

That's 90% of the work right there. 10% is actually operating on site: Being in a remote region like Belize, setting up survey equipment, mapping out the region, digging out test pits, and praying you don't hit a burial because that slows everything to an absolute crawl...

etc. etc.

If any of that sounds interesting, or even more interesting than what you're doing, go for it.

The way I put it might make it sound a bit boring, but if I were to organize something, I would organize found artifacts with much more fervor than I'd organize spreadsheets for a business! And there's always the remote chance of finding that special find. There's also that feeling you get as you organize your knowledge of an area, excavate an entire temple or series of residences, etc.

Personally, I have no hope of being an archaeologist, I think. The funnest part, going out to a remote region, would be almost impossible in my condition.

Fazor
2010-Feb-24, 02:58 AM
;) Well really, about anything's more interesting than my current job. Why do you think I spend so much time on BAUT during the day?

But I don't know that I'd want to travel. I mean, it'd be great. But it also means leaving family behind for months or more at a time.

For what it's worth, I could probably spend all day just examining a single arrowhead. I find that stuff beyond interesting.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-24, 02:59 AM
I know a woman who had a young child and got her physics degree and eventually a Ph.d. She did not have a job though.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-24, 03:00 AM
I'm *pretty* sure that analysts that don't go on-site would be in much more demand than analysts that are begging to go on-site. Seriously, you should look into it.

Fazor
2010-Feb-24, 03:04 AM
I'm *pretty* sure that analysts that don't go on-site would be in much more demand than analysts that are begging to go on-site. Seriously, you should look into it.

One of the things that would be a possibility would be as part of the local archaeological scene. Ohio's pretty rich in history, holding importance for both Native Americans, and as part of the early settlement efforts.

Gillianren
2010-Feb-24, 03:11 AM
One of the things that would be a possibility would be as part of the local archaeological scene. Ohio's pretty rich in history, holding importance for both Native Americans, and as part of the early settlement efforts.

I have a friend who was doing some archaeology in Ohio a while back. I don't really know details. I know that she doesn't get to do much field work, and when she does, it doesn't last long. She spent some time excavating the north pasture at Monticello last spring, which she downplays but which I think is awesome.

Fazor
2010-Feb-24, 03:15 AM
I have a friend who was doing some archaeology in Ohio a while back. I don't really know details. I know that she doesn't get to do much field work, and when she does, it doesn't last long. She spent some time excavating the north pasture at Monticello last spring, which she downplays but which I think is awesome.

More likely 'round here you'd have work as a curator or cataloger. Which I'd think would still be very interesting.

BigDon
2010-Feb-24, 03:45 AM
Bronchitis is in double strength here. I'm at my last rope.

I'm dropping Chinese. My mom refuses to let me drop all my courses, so I'll just try to soldier on for the rest.

Sorry to hear you had to do that Solus, (if you're still talking to me), when I was in my late thirties I went back to school to bring up my maths and developed "mycoplasmal pneumonia" of a type not usually found in non-immuno-compromised individuals. I hated having to drop out of the class but had no choice.

The teacher was sorry too, but also a bit relieved I think to have me not coughing all during his lectures.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-25, 12:47 AM
I got four new kinds of medication. FWEE!

Including a codeine syrup. Nasty tasting, and makes me even more drowsy!

Swift
2010-Feb-25, 03:51 AM
Better living through chemistry. And if it tastes bad it must be good for you. ;)

Get better soon.

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-25, 03:53 AM
Sorry about your bronchitis. Hope this latest cocktail helps.
Codeine gives me technicolor dreams.

Orginally posted by Davidlpf
I know a woman who had a young child and got her physics degree and eventually a Ph.d. She did not have a job though.

Several of our MDs and PhDs have career changing stories and went back to school while working. One of our top neurologists was a chemical engineer with 3 kids, due to family health issues, got interested in medicine, went back to school. By his own admission, he's an awkward communicator....except when he's doing what he loves. He's so genuine with his patients and they love him. Hospital administrators....well, that's another story.

One of my mentors and personal heroes is our Chair of Medicine. She grew up in the South Bronx of New York City, worked as a realtor and single mom, but always wanted to be a doctor. At 38 she started medical school, finished her residency at 45. She's nationally renown. Great gal, spectacular doc.

LookingSkyward
2010-Feb-25, 04:28 AM
Hang in there Wulf! We're all pulling for you, and wishing you well.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-25, 05:18 AM
Sorry about your bronchitis. Hope this latest cocktail helps.
Codeine gives me technicolor dreams.

I think I once had a very minor auditory hallucination thanks to Codeine. Not sure, honestly.

BigDon
2010-Feb-25, 05:34 AM
Hang in there Wulf! We're all pulling for you, and wishing you well.

Even me. I wouldn't wish lung disease on my worst enemy.

I think I once had a very minor auditory hallucination thanks to Codeine. Not sure, honestly.

Try doing big pulls of perigoric* in 25F weather. Korea about 1980. You'll forget all about being sick. Until the next day. Excess gives you an "Oh my God" class hangover. Don't think I was supposed to toke on it like Yukon Jack.

*Opium disolved in alcohol.

Jens
2010-Feb-25, 05:54 AM
Try doing big pulls of perigoric* in 25F weather. Korea about 1980. You'll forget all about being sick. Until the next day. Excess gives you an "Oh my God" class hangover. Don't think I was supposed to toke on it like Yukon Jack.

If the "excess" is excessive enough, you don't get a hangover. . .

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-25, 03:35 PM
If the "excess" is excessive enough, you don't get a hangover. . .

That's true of anything. Even water. :p

SolusLupus
2010-Mar-03, 03:14 AM
So, I went to the doctor for my ADD, and got a prescription of Adderol. I figured, hey, if I'm going to the clinic anyways, I might as well clear up this little problem I have, right?

Too early to tell how it works. Midterm due tomorrow, and I'm gonna have to work all night on writing out these essays. Ugh.

In other news, the GURPS game was a good kicker for my self-esteem. I've been thinking a little too much about (hence my wanting some adderol), but it's given me some energy and has given me some good story ideas I want to work with.

LookingSkyward
2010-Mar-03, 03:37 AM
Wishing you all the best!

sarongsong
2010-Mar-03, 07:23 AM
So, I went to the doctor for my ADD, and got a prescription of Adderol...and I'm gonna have to work all night on writing out these essays...A Schedule II amphetamine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall) should allow that; but how do you turn it off to sleep?

LookingSkyward
2010-Mar-05, 11:41 PM
So, SL, how are you feeling headed into the weekend? Hoping you're feeling better!

SolusLupus
2010-Mar-06, 02:06 AM
I think there's complications with the adderol. If it's supposed to make me concentrate better, it doesn't seem to be doing much. It's also decreased my appetite, I think; I'm practically only eating a small meal or two a day.

I've also felt kind of weird, especially when I'd be coming down off of it, I think. Face feels a little weird. Weirdly enough, my imagination seems better at constructing images, though it's hard for me to concentrate on any one subject mentally. Night before last was especially trippy...