PDA

View Full Version : Using the same actors from one comedy series in another

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2010-Feb-15, 05:15 PM
I sort of hated Corner Gas and now they have a couple of new comedy series that use the exact same actors in the same show. Urrrrm???? nay funny

captain swoop
2010-Feb-15, 09:46 PM
In the UK the two writers Dafid Croft and Jimmy Perry responsible for 'Dads Army' also wrote a series called 'Hi-De-Hi' set in a 1950s Holiday Camp. They used the same cast for a comedy set in the 1920s called 'You Rang My Lord' a spoof of a long running melodrama called Upstairs Downstairs. It also used the two actors who played the Officers in their WW2 comedy 'It aint half hot Mum' set in India/Burma in WW2. A third series of theirs set in a 1950s railway station 'Oh, Doctor Beeching' had most of the same cast again.

Their other two series series 'Are you being served'set in a Department Store and 'Alo, Allo' which was a spoof of 'Secret Army' the long running WW2 drama about the French resistance had completely different casts.

Lianachan
2010-Feb-17, 08:12 AM
In The Loop, the film, is written and directed by the same people who bring us The Thick Of It, and it uses almost entirely the same cast. All but two of them play different characters.

captain swoop
2010-Feb-17, 02:24 PM
To be fair 'In the Loop' is a film version of the TV Series more or less. Armando Iannucci was on Radio 4 'Front Row' the daily Culture show. He explained that to sell it as a movie they had to 'scale it up' from the misedventures of one MP and his Spin Doctor to something on the 'World Stage'

Lianachan
2010-Feb-17, 02:30 PM
Yes, I know. It's still the same cast playing different characters, though, which is why I mentioned it.

captain swoop
2010-Feb-19, 02:58 PM
true enough

captain swoop
2010-Feb-19, 02:59 PM
It seems that actors in the main British TV 'Soaps' keep swapping from one to the other Eastenders to Coronation Street, Emmerdale or 'the Bill' and back.