PDA

View Full Version : Meteorite Holds Millions of Unidentified Organic Compounds

Fraser
2010-Feb-15, 10:30 PM
A new analysis of the famous Murchison meteorite that crash-landed in Australia over 40 years ago shows the space rock contains millions of previously unidentified organic compounds. Researchers say the meteorite, which is over 4.65 billion old and likely older than our Sun — offers evidence that the early solar system likely had a [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2010/02/15/meteorite-holds-millions-of-unidentified-organic-compounds/)

Ronald Brak
2010-Feb-16, 04:27 AM
Before anyone gets too excited, I'll mention that some of those meteor fragments landed in poop. Hopefully they took this into account but I'll mention it just in case they didn't.

A.DIM
2010-Feb-22, 08:49 PM
Ha, that'd be funny: spend 40yrs examining a specimen, with improved tech and techniques, only to overlook such a thing when drawing conclusions...

Please remain calm.

BigDon
2010-Feb-23, 08:37 PM
Before anyone gets too excited, I'll mention that some of those meteor fragments landed in poop. Hopefully they took this into account but I'll mention it just in case they didn't.

Nice shot! What are the odds.

JonClarke
2010-Feb-23, 09:20 PM

That is probably a urban myth. But if true would only be for a few of of the many fragments. And a cow pat is no worse than a vegetated soil for contamination.

Anyway the exterior would have been carefully cleaned and samples taken from the interior. The significance of Murchinson was realised from the moment it landed and it has always been handled very carefully and analyses done with extreme care to exclude possible contaminants. Similar results have been obtained from other carbonaceous chondrites as well.

BigDon
2010-Feb-23, 10:03 PM
Thank you Dr. Clarke for the further clarification.

trinitree88
2010-Feb-24, 12:19 AM
Thank you Dr. Clarke for the further clarification.

BigDon. :lol: Yep. I'll second that. pete