PDA

View Full Version : Thread Drift

Otherworldly
2010-Feb-16, 03:55 PM
There is discussion of the idea of thread drift in this thread (http://www.bautforum.com/forum-introductions-feedback/100838-excessive-moderation.html). What I am wondering is, what is the evidence in support of this new theory of thread drift?

Previously, it was believed that threads have always been where they are now. But now, there is a new theory that threads have moved over time, and that their original locations are quite different than what they are now.

So what evidence is there for this new theory? Does thread drift occur quickly enough to allow direct measurement? Or must we rely on indirect evidence? Are there records of ideas or phrases found in widely separated threads, suggesting that they were once adjacent? What happens when drifting threads collide? If threads are drifting, shouldn't they be in isostatic equilibrium? (Are they?)

These questions want answers . . .

Glom
2010-Feb-16, 04:00 PM
SuRely if we try to accurately observe the rate of drift we make ever more uncertain where the thread is.

mugaliens
2010-Feb-16, 04:08 PM
SuRely if we try to accurately observe the rate of drift we make ever more uncertain where the thread is.

Glom's uncertainty principle? :lol:

kleindoofy
2010-Feb-16, 04:20 PM
This thread needs pictures of cats.

jokergirl
2010-Feb-16, 04:29 PM
And more smileys.

;)

MAPNUT
2010-Feb-16, 04:56 PM
I think we need to determine whether "drifting" or "wandering" is the proper terminology. Drifting implies one direction; wandering implies multiple directions. Obviously some threads drift and others wander. What about veering threads? Zig-zagging threads? Reversing threads? Careening threads?

Strange
2010-Feb-16, 05:22 PM
This thread needs pictures of cats.

That would be more of a seismic shift.

Chuck
2010-Feb-16, 05:55 PM
http://chuckgaydos.homestead.com/files/angelica.jpg

Otherworldly
2010-Feb-16, 06:07 PM
I think we need to determine whether "drifting" or "wandering" is the proper terminology. Drifting implies one direction; wandering implies multiple directions. Obviously some threads drift and others wander. What about veering threads? Zig-zagging threads? Reversing threads? Careening threads?

All good points. It is also possible that there is more than one underlying mechanism causing the various types of thread movements.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-16, 06:19 PM
One very typical reason for thread wandering is that the subject has been discussed to pieces and is only going in circles, so most people are looking for something to stop the boredom.

megrfl
2010-Feb-16, 06:33 PM
http://chuckgaydos.homestead.com/files/angelica.jpg

I don't mean to wander, but that's a cute cat.

Donnie B.
2010-Feb-16, 06:43 PM
Originally, thread drift was merely a conjecture, fed by such observations as the close fit between adjacent threads and topical parallels that cross thread boundaries even when they may not occur within each thread.

Since there was no mechanism to account for these observations, many critics of thread drift discounted or even ridiculed the concept.

Now, of course, we have the underlying explanation in the theory of Thread Tectonics, where the drift is accounted for by the level of heat percolating through each thread.

PetersCreek
2010-Feb-16, 06:49 PM
Chuck...just to contribute to the theory of topic drift a bit more...that cat looks remarkably like our dear, departed Pippin. Would he/she by chance be polydactyl? Pippin had a pair of very pronounced "thumbs". It almost looked like he was wearing boxing gloves.

peteshimmon
2010-Feb-16, 07:01 PM
How can you all just sit there and accept
Thread Drift?

Chuck
2010-Feb-16, 07:03 PM
That's an old photo. The cat died in the nineties, I think. I don't remember anything odd about her.

Swift
2010-Feb-16, 07:45 PM
Proof of thread drift (http://www.smartdevicesinc.com/Nylon-thread.jpg)
Yesterday, those were much further apart

Glom
2010-Feb-16, 09:17 PM

Maybe we could report threads like we do winds mentioning variability and gusts etc.

And on a related note it is really annoying posting from an iPhone.

Swift
2010-Feb-16, 10:39 PM
And now here's moderator Swift with the Thread Report

Thanks Bob.

With that high pressure system building over the CT forum, we can expect it to be pretty quiet for the next 24 hours. However, the 2011 NASA budget front has brought turbulent weather to Space Exploration, and we can expect a lot more activity in the next day or two.

Now, lets go to Chrissy with the Sports!

cran
2010-Feb-17, 02:12 PM
There is discussion of the idea of thread drift in this thread (http://www.bautforum.com/forum-introductions-feedback/100838-excessive-moderation.html). What I am wondering is, what is the evidence in support of this new theory of thread drift?

Previously, it was believed that threads have always been where they are now. But now, there is a new theory that threads have moved over time, and that their original locations are quite different than what they are now.

So what evidence is there for this new theory? Does thread drift occur quickly enough to allow direct measurement? Or must we rely on indirect evidence? Are there records of ideas or phrases found in widely separated threads, suggesting that they were once adjacent? What happens when drifting threads collide? If threads are drifting, shouldn't they be in isostatic equilibrium? (Are they?)

These questions want answers . . .
I should point out that this entire idea of "a new theory" of "thread drift" is based on a single claim ... in a discussion forum ...
what evidence there appears to be is purely anecdotal, and impossible to peer review (though some seem to have tried) ...

there are uncertainties even with respect to the nature of the reported "drift" - for instance, there's been a mention (since the original report) of "thread tectonics" - in which case we should be able to find evidence of "thread recycling" (under some conditions, "thread metamorphism"), "thread rifting", "heated eruptions", "thread convergences", "thread subduction"; without the last two, you would have to consider an "expanding forum" hypothesis ... but all of this assumes that threads are more or less solid under normal surface conditions ...

but, if it turns out that "thread drift" does exist, and is pressure and temperature dependent, but essentially fluid, we might instead find this "drift" is more closely aligned with topical currents, steered by coriolis influences (even to occasionally going around in circles), as moderator cells across the gradient trend towards equilibrium ...

Swift
2010-Feb-17, 03:03 PM
Cran, that was a thing of beauty. I suggest a chaired professorship in threadology.

Jim
2010-Feb-17, 05:25 PM
I should point out that this entire idea of "a new theory" of "thread drift" is based on a single claim ... in a discussion forum ...
what evidence there appears to be is purely anecdotal, and impossible to peer review (though some seem to have tried) ...

Excellent points.

Otherworldly, you're not advocating an ATM idea here, are you? BAUT has rules about that.

cran
2010-Feb-17, 10:11 PM
Swift, very kind of you ...

but the Frasian chair is (as you know) already occupied ...
by Prof Juan Senziros (pron: ones and zeroes)

of course, since ToSeek was promoted, there has been an opening
at the Plait Institute of Bad Thread Dynamics ... :think:

one question is whether the utc (universal thread constant - usually presented as pie!) truly is - universal, and/or constant - or whether a normal post number increase reveals a previously unrecognised variation when approaching kilopi; or whether high energy but low-to-zero mass influences in some regions might lead to unspecified periods of accelerated inflation in four (or more) dimensions ...

in some reported observations, the level of uncertainty in the numerical calculations can exceed [2pi egos squared], and the margin of errors increase in direct proportion to rate of decay; post response times may be involved here; analysis of the raw data, and interpretational evidence, often reveals one or two very dense objects orbiting a vortex generated by hot air or some high energy and circular Hand wave activity ... however, it has been shown that hemispherical factors do not of themselves influence the direction of spin - rather, this seems to be more determined by local instabilities and the concentration of caffeine in the mix ...

LookingSkyward
2010-Feb-17, 10:20 PM
Wow! I stand (well, sit, actually) in awe.

Otherworldly
2010-Feb-18, 12:06 AM
Otherworldly, you're not advocating an ATM idea here, are you? BAUT has rules about that.

The horns of a dilemma. I must decide whether to answer "yes" and incur a rule 13 violation, or "no" and incur a rule 17 violation :(

cran
2010-Feb-18, 01:47 AM
To be fair, Jim, I believe Otherworldly was just asking questions based on the reading of an anecdotal release - a full report has not yet been submitted as far as I know, and certainly not peer reviewed - and seeking a mainstream response ... the questions do not appear to advocate any ATM ideas (ie, they appear to conform to standard thread physics), and seem quite reasonable from a non-professional threadologist.

It occurred to me, that the originator of the term "thread drift" might have confused the ancient philosophical concept of "conversational drift" in an attempt to restate the Theory of Thread Evolution[1] - as first published last century, it superseded all previous ideas, and highlighted the importance of the Principles of Netiquette[2] - which now underpins structural threadology, and indeed the broader discipline of quantum forum dynamics, in which we find Glom's Uncertainty Principle[3] ...

Contributions to quantum forum dynamics from such luminaries as Eta_C and Ken G[4], et al, revealed a whole new sub-postular universe, by identifying previously unknown particles - like musons, fanta-Cs (which often degenerate to falla-Cs), afterthawts, asides, etc - and how their interactions manifest in the macrocosmic thread environment.

The now-legendary Antoniseb and ToSeek further broadened our horizons when they delineated Brain Theory and Lightbulbs[5], from which ToSeek later derived the Zeroth Law of Forum Dynamics (commonly referred to as a No-brainer situation). Many workers have commented on the Engaged Brain Directional Principle, which can be loosely summarised as: when it's not, the only available direction is downhill - and the rate of descent can be determined by the inclination and the gravity of the situation.

A number of articles in the BAUT Journal of Forum Dynamics - notably from Swift et al - showed that when tenser fields are applied, it requires more directed energy to overcome surface fiction and initiate proper thread motion than it does to keep a thread in motion.

[ETA] - More capable commentators could explain how rotational talk generates increased fiction, and can ultimately cause irreparable mutation of a thread, such that post surgical procedures are required, or in extreme cases involving CT or ATM conditions, complete removal to a sterile environment where a thread can complete its reduced lifespan.

[1]Essayed in On the Origin of Off-Topics by Means of Natural Post-Selection.
[Note: Although there is a minority view that unintelligent design is the cause of thread mutations, such speculations are not broadly supported, and should not be pursued here.]

[2]These principles actually pre-date the scientific disciplines of threadology and forum dynamics, and can be found in various volumes of natural history pertaining to multi-user email and newsgroups ...

[3]Loosely paraphrased as: we cannot with accuracy determine both the OP's position and the speed of deviation from a thread's intended course, because in the act of measuring one, we have affected (or even negated?) the other.

[4] Their definitive works includes the N-body problem in Thread Stability (where N is the number of bodies forcing a thread in more than one direction; for many years, the minimum N was thought to be 2, however, under limited conditions instances of auto-disintegration of a thread have been reported).

[5] In which they proved there is no single answer to the question: how many does it take to change one?

kleindoofy
2010-Feb-18, 01:57 AM
Boy, do I ever hate cat threads.

Whatever, The Thread as such is exactly 3760 years old.

There is no drift. There never has been drift, There never will be drift.

The Thread is.

So, bring on the cats. ;)

Jens
2010-Feb-18, 04:01 AM
Speaking of cats, does anybody know when the domestic cat was actually domesticated? I've heard it may have been by the Egyptians.

Chuck
2010-Feb-18, 04:14 AM
I thought they domesticated us.

MAPNUT
2010-Feb-18, 05:18 PM
Good. The thread is drifting again. For a while there it was stuck on thread tectonics.

Jim
2010-Feb-18, 05:56 PM
To be fair, Jim, I believe Otherworldly was just asking questions based on the reading of an anecdotal release ...

Ah. Then you're the one!

(... warming up the Banning Machine ...)

JohnD
2010-Feb-18, 09:22 PM
OK, mods, Jim, Swift, PetersCreek. Of course if anyone introduces an Alternative Theory that invokes Religion and induces a definite Drift in the Thread, you'll close it down, won't you?

So, the Conversation Interpretation of thread mechanics says that there is no reality to the thread until it is read. Thus, until the collapse of the read function the contents of the thread packet are totally uncertain. Moreoever, when the wave does collapse, it is possible to know only the direction of the thread OR its position at that moment.

I contest that theory! Just like gods (There! I got religion in!), threads may roll but they do not play dice! The position of any poster is clear, as long as they can speak and write in English, and the direction of the discussion is clear, as long as enough time is given for it to develop.

Now for the Drift! Anyone like blinking?

John

kleindoofy
2010-Feb-18, 09:51 PM
Cool, but what does any of this have to do with Paris Hilton?

Come on, let's get real.

Swift
2010-Feb-18, 10:19 PM
OK, mods, Jim, Swift, PetersCreek. Of course if anyone introduces an Alternative Theory that invokes Religion and induces a definite Drift in the Thread, you'll close it down, won't you?

I don't know... maybe I will and maybe I won't. Maybe I'll just push the special "green" button I've got sitting right here on my desktop. Ha! That will show them!

Swift
2010-Feb-18, 10:20 PM
Cool, but what does any of this have to do with Paris Hilton?

Come on, let's get real.
We'll always have Paris Hilton; we didn't until you made that post.

Atraveller
2010-Feb-19, 01:20 AM
So, the Conversation Interpretation of thread mechanics says that there is no reality to the thread until it is read. Thus, until the collapse of the read function the contents of the thread packet are totally uncertain. Moreoever, when the wave does collapse, it is possible to know only the direction of the thread OR its position at that moment.

So are you proposing a Heisenberg uncertainty principle of thread mechanincs where you can either read what a poster says, or know what he means, but not both?

And was that a picture of Schrödinger's cat earlier in this thread?

Yes - we will always have Paris...

cran
2010-Feb-19, 02:04 AM
Jim, if you're looking to ban someone for thread mythology, why not cast an optic over :

Whatever, The Thread as such is exactly 3760 years old.

There is no drift. There never has been drift, There never will be drift.

The Thread is...

Clearly an attempt to revive the ancient fable of Jobs at the Gates (AKA Casting Apples at Windows) who, when offered a single wish, replied: "Yay Verily!* I could use some decent threads, you know?"

*for that was the name of the wish-granter ...

... I contest that theory! ... threads may roll but they do not play dice! ...

That was the consensus view ... until that guy in the wheelchair - or maybe it was the one with pointy ears and upturned eyebrows? - replied: "not only do threads play dice, sometimes they end up where no one can see them!" [made in reference to the (previously theoretical) threads which become so compact and dense that nobody can shed any light on them] ...

but, Glom's Uncertainty Principle (and your indirect reference to Paris Hilton's cat) leads unerringly to post-entanglement, quantum thread fluctuations ...

and the Unpredictable Nature of the Non-Linear Bi-polar Fractional Luminescence Wit Effect -

- where a single (mostly) positive wit can neutralise a potentially charged thread, but a fractional wit (commonly a 1/2) has the opposite effect; increasing the number of whole or fractional wits into a thread not only increases the probability of thread deviation (or "drift", if you prefer), it does so in increments which are both random and unpredictable;

- where a low-watt wit can cause a thread to slow down, or even reverse direction (backtrack), or otherwise become murky, increasing the number of low-watt wits does not equal a comparable increase in overall illumination;

- but where, if you keep all your wits about you, the probability of steady forward progress in a thread seems to increase exponentially ...

kleindoofy
2010-Feb-19, 02:18 AM
Nun, ich denke, daß fremdsprachige Einwürfe sicherlich hilfreich sind, wenn es um die Stabilitas Threadensis geht.

Nichts sichert die Thematik mehr als die Einbeziehung multikultureller Einflüsse und ployglotter Vielfaltigkeit.

Nicht?

mugaliens
2010-Feb-19, 08:13 PM
How can you all just sit there and accept
Thread Drift?

I know, right? It's an act of faith, based upon statistically inconclusive evidence.