PDA

View Full Version : Nova Facebook post Re: Kid's reaction to Pluto

Fazor
2010-Feb-17, 03:57 PM
Nova posted this on their Facebook page, and I thought it was hilarious and adorable (and I don't call too many things adorable).

It's a handful of letters typical of the kind elementary school students sent to the National History Museum and Dr Tyson after Pluto lost it's planetary status.

Click the "Launch Interactive" link from this page (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/pluto/mail.html?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=wallposts&utm_campaign=NOVAFacebook).

My favorite is the letter that ends with "Please write back, but not in cursive. I can't read cursive."

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-17, 04:19 PM
My favorite is the letter that ends with "Please write back, but not in cursive. I can't read cursive."
That triggers my fake detector, as I've seen that before in another supposed set of letters from children.

Edited to add: Read the link. I misunderstood the subject they complained about. It was this set of letters I remembered it from:wall:

closetgeek
2010-Feb-17, 09:29 PM
I remember Dr. Tyson talking about that on one of the programs about Pluto's demotion. That guy is awesome! He cracks me up. Didn't know Nova had a facebook page. Going to friend them now.

KaiYeves
2010-Feb-17, 09:38 PM
They're great letters, but I don't like the mocking tone Tyson used when talking about the "cursive" letter in an interview.

Fazor
2010-Feb-17, 09:42 PM
I remember Dr. Tyson talking about that on one of the programs about Pluto's demotion. That guy is awesome! He cracks me up. Didn't know Nova had a facebook page. Going to friend them now.

Yeah. I don't go "fan of" crazy with Facebook, but out of the handful of businesses/entertainers I've become a fan of, Nova is about the most useful and interesting. They'll post tidbits of their shows, or information on the week's coming episode, or side-bar type information pertaining to recent or upcoming shows. It's really nice.

The only other entertainer that posts as often as Nova is comedian Zane Lamprey of FLN's Three Sheets. Funny guy. Great show. But I think he's addicted to Facebook.

Chuck
2010-Feb-17, 10:51 PM
Kids could be told that Pluto is the only dwarf planet named after a major Roman god. That means it was promoted from just another planet to something unique.

If they won't go for that then tell them that when they grow up and take over, they can change it back to a planet.

closetgeek
2010-Feb-17, 11:24 PM
Yeah. I don't go "fan of" crazy with Facebook, but out of the handful of businesses/entertainers I've become a fan of, Nova is about the most useful and interesting. They'll post tidbits of their shows, or information on the week's coming episode, or side-bar type information pertaining to recent or upcoming shows. It's really nice.

The only other entertainer that posts as often as Nova is comedian Zane Lamprey of FLN's Three Sheets. Funny guy. Great show. But I think he's addicted to Facebook.

I don't know how to search for something to become a fan. :doh:

Fazor
2010-Feb-17, 11:41 PM
same way you search for people. Just type 'Nova' instead of a name. There will be multiple things listed, but Nova-PBS should be close to the top

closetgeek
2010-Feb-18, 12:06 PM
Well when I just typed Nova, over 500 results came up so I typed PBS Nova and found it :)

AndreasJ
2010-Feb-18, 01:25 PM
Kids could be told that Pluto is the only dwarf planet named after a major Roman god.
I seem to have misplaced my theometer, but I'd think Ceres more major than Pluto, at least as cultic importance is concerned.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-18, 02:35 PM
She definitely had bigger clout, as she was able to force her brother Jupiter to order Pluto to return her daughter with Jupiter, Proserpina, who Pluto had abducted and married, by refusing to allow anything to grow. Pluto incidentally being the brother of both Jupiter and Ceres.

swampyankee
2010-Feb-18, 03:30 PM
I especially liked the letter that ended "science will make you smart." Maybe not true, but certainly a great sentiment.

Fazor
2010-Feb-18, 08:57 PM
All these FB posts by Nova are related to the upcoming premier of 'Pluto Files'. Today there's two links to youtube clips, with comments from Stephen Colbert, Jon Stewart, Diane Sawyer, and Brian Williams. Clip1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utxaOPRF7os) and Clip2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTtB6ArzU6w). Both are enjoyable, but with those personalities, of course they would be!

laurele
2010-Feb-18, 10:26 PM
Kids could be told that Pluto is the only dwarf planet named after a major Roman god. That means it was promoted from just another planet to something unique.

If they won't go for that then tell them that when they grow up and take over, they can change it back to a planet.

They don't need to wait to grow up and "change it back" because there is no existing consensus on what Pluto is. A great book for kids is Ten Worlds by Dr. Ken Croswell. He acknowledges the dispute, admits that astronomers do not agree on this and then tells kids, "You decide!"