PDA

View Full Version : Branson's Flying Sub

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-18, 06:53 PM
Another rich boy toy from Branson and Virgin - the Necker Nymph.

Richard Branson launches high-tech 'flying' submarine (http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/02/18/branson.flying.submarine/index.html?hpt=Sbin)
I've seen this before, but can't find anything on this board.

I think it would be cool, but of course unaffordable.

But even for those with deep enough pockets, it doesn't come cheap: $25,000 for a week's charter and another $88,000 for the sub's superyacht launch vessel, "Necker Belle."

I'm not sure what the advantages are over other submersables, but I really am not familiar with depth capabilities. (this one is 40m)

Of course it comes with the usual hype:

The $631,000 flying sub, the first of its kind, uses fighter jet technology and was designed by Hawkes Ocean Technologies.

When I think "fighter jet technology", I think jet engines, missiles, and avionics. So; what's the technology?

And Eco friendly statement.

The new sub also appears to be environmentally friendly. It is buoyant, which stops it from mistakenly landing on reefs, and it is relatively quiet -- allowing it to pass through fragile ecosystems without causing too much upheaval, Virgin says.
That doesn't stop the driver from intentionally "buzzing" the reefs.
Is quiet that much of a concern, or would the thrust be even worse.

megrfl
2010-Feb-18, 07:23 PM
That doesn't stop the driver from intentionally "buzzing" the reefs.
Is quiet that much of a concern, or would the thrust be even worse.

I would love one, but I certainly would not be buzzing the reefs. The idea is to gently cruise around and explore without disturbing the ecosystem.

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-18, 07:27 PM
...The idea is to gently cruise around and explore without disturbing the ecosystem.
If that's the idea, then why build it to do "dolphin like flips"?

megrfl
2010-Feb-18, 07:51 PM
True. I guess that's my idea.