PDA

View Full Version : Fazor's Random Thoughts

Fazor
2010-Feb-18, 07:54 PM
I'm listening to an "Introduction to Archeology" lecture online, and it's given rise to some random thoughts.

I hope that before I die, I have enough money to fund a proper burial. A proper burial includes:

First, I'd need a private company to build a rocket and a lander module that could theoretically land a person on another planet. I say 'theoretically' because it needn't land; in fact, it would be designed not to. But it'd need to look like it was supposed to. This undertaking, including the launch, would have to have little records left behind.

I need dozens of trinkets that both define and defy my generation. For instance, a 1990's level operating system, written in binary, but scribbled in primitive ink upon papyrus. Icons depicting crude gods adorned with cell phones, sneakers, and 'bling' . . . but carved in bone by hand. In other words, idols, trinkets, and scrolls that show what really did define my generation, but done in a primitive way to make us appear more, well, primitive.

I'd also need some kind of radio beacon that would ensure, or at least greatly increase the odds, that my crash site would be found, but hopefully not for centuries after my death.

That way, when space-faring humans finally come across the crash site, future archeologist have to wonder about this primitive planetary explorer that tragically died upon entry, and they could marvel at all the weird artifacts left behind.

This plan ensures that no matter how little I accomplish in life, at some point way in the future I'll hold importance as the "astronaut cave-man"!

That's my only random thought for the moment. I suppose I should listen to the lecture a little more . . .

Swift
2010-Feb-18, 08:32 PM
That's a little more elaborate than my burial plans. But, like an ancient warrior, I would like to be buried in ceremonial garb of my profession (lab coat, safety glasses, etc.) and with some of its tools (maybe glassware, a few of the crystals I've grown).

Or, I might go with a nature-geek theme and be buried in hiking gear, with a couple of Peterson guides.

Spoons
2010-Feb-19, 01:26 AM
IO love the concept Fazor!

Ok, are we now at a fork in the road? Random thoughts or burial musings?

Random thoughts:
Last night I dreamt that I floated all the way to work on a slippery dish.

Burial Musings:
I would like to be popped onto a bicycle, have the tyres filled with lead and dropped out offshore. They will find me and wonder why Neptune, the ancient sea god, is wearing non-traditional Tobias Funke merchandise.

Siguy
2010-Feb-19, 01:47 AM
Although it sounds like the most fun you could have being dead, at the same time wouldn't it be a bit irresponsible to posthumously screw with future archaeologists?

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-19, 02:05 AM
Not really, which is why I want to be buried in a Stone ship (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_ship).

Mister Earl
2010-Feb-19, 02:16 AM
Carbon dating, Fazor. They'd figure you out pretty quickly. I like the idea, but you'd have to take a different approach to maintain plausibility.

closetgeek
2010-Feb-19, 02:56 AM
IO love the concept Fazor!

Ok, are we now at a fork in the road? Random thoughts or burial musings?

Random thoughts:
Last night I dreamt that I floated all the way to work on a slippery dish.

Burial Musings:
I would like to be popped onto a bicycle, have the tyres filled with lead and dropped out offshore. They will find me and wonder why Neptune, the ancient sea god, is wearing non-traditional Tobias Funke merchandise.

Random thoughts Spoons, I am so glad to hear other people having weird dreams like mine. I had a dream that I was picking my friend up from work in a motorized canoe with wheels. When I realized I took a wrong turn, I just picked it up, with my three kids in it, mind you, and ran through the trails.

Burial Musings I want to donate my body to medical science but a friend told me that the students have a tendency to do disrespectful things to the corpses at times. So I decided, should I have some warning of my impending doom, that I would get a tattoo on my stomach that reads: show some respect, I am helping to further your education.

Spoons
2010-Feb-19, 03:26 AM
I love weird dreams!

I fell asleep on the living room floor of a friend's place two weeks ago (not as uncommon an occurrence as it probably should be) and in the morning I was told about a bunch of strange stuff I had said.

"You're not a real pirate without a moustache! Deposit your kittens in the provided recycling bins" and other assorted madness. I really must set up a microphone some time to catch some of it.

I like the tattoo idea. Very nice!

But couldn't they just practice on cake-body simulations?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wGr8njEWjtI/SKBbPdvWPNI/AAAAAAAAAPo/-uJzThWEtX8/s400/tattoo+preggo.jpg

DonM435
2010-Feb-19, 05:34 AM
There's one of those quotes imaginatively attributed to Yogi Berra. Mrs. Berra asks him where he wants to be buried, and he responds with "Surprise me."

As is the nature of these things, there's wisdom behind the "dumb" answer:

You won't know! Who cares?

(There were life insurance commercials that asked "Won't you be worried about your family after you've died?" Answer: "Nope. That's impossible. Sorry, but after I'm dead I can't care about anything.)

Spoons
2010-Feb-19, 05:54 AM
I'm not a big fan of insurance companies, nor marketing/advertising.

When the two combine it's almost as painful as a Rick Astley ringtone.

Fazor
2010-Feb-19, 03:05 PM
Carbon dating, Fazor. They'd figure you out pretty quickly. I like the idea, but you'd have to take a different approach to maintain plausibility.

It wouldn't matter that they could correctly date my remains. I'm envisioning that by the time I'm found, what life was like during my lifetime will be that hazy history where things can be left to debate.

Of course the problem is our written record today is much better than (current ancient) written record is, so that might screw things up. Just need all our data formats and languages to become obsolete . . . which, given sufficient time, will probably happen.

Fazor
2010-Feb-19, 03:07 PM
Although it sounds like the most fun you could have being dead, at the same time wouldn't it be a bit irresponsible to posthumously screw with future archaeologists?
Yeah, but I never claimed to be responsible. Besides, one could always justify it by saying you're just creating an elaborate test to ensure that future archaeologists are doing their jobs correctly. ;)

Moose
2010-Feb-19, 03:15 PM
Fazor, the hamsters in my head have asked me to point out that those aren't random thoughts, those are idle musings.

Here's are some random thoughts, courtesy the hamster's union (no charge).

* Mice in spandex.
* Deep fried wristwatches.
* Copa Cabana.
* Zoot.

;)

Fazor
2010-Feb-19, 03:22 PM
I suppose you're right, since they were inspired by the archaeology lecture it was hardly random.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-19, 05:55 PM
Of course the problem is our written record today is much better than (current ancient) written record is, so that might screw things up.
Except that few of our "written" records are made on materials likely to last a couple of hundred years, gravestones being about the only exception.
In 2000 years, it's entirely possible they'll know more about Babylonian society than our, as the cuneiform tablets won't have any problems surviving another couple of millennia.

Fazor
2010-Feb-19, 05:57 PM
Except that few of our "written" records are made on materials likely to last a couple of hundred years, gravestones being about the only exception.
In 2000 years, it's entirely possible they'll know more about Babylonian society than our, as the cuneiform tablets won't have any problems surviving another couple of millennia.

Which bodes well for my "plan" :lol:

Spoons
2010-Feb-20, 12:22 AM
Here's are some random thoughts, courtesy the hamster's union (no charge).

* Mice in spandex.
* Deep fried wristwatches.
* Copa Cabana.
* Zoot.

;)

Wowsers... if you ever write a children's book, do let me know.

sarongsong
2010-Feb-20, 12:58 AM
...Random thoughts:
Last night I dreamt...Uh-uh...you'll have to start your own thread, since this one is clearly and possessively labeled. http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Spoons
2010-Feb-20, 02:02 AM
Right you are. Forget I said anything.

So, last night Fazor had a dream...

sarongsong
2010-Feb-20, 02:53 AM
:clap:

RAF_Blackace
2010-Feb-20, 03:28 AM
Feed me to the dogs, I aint got any use for this piece of meat when I'm dead. Either that or throw me into a power station furnace so I can at least increase my carbon footprint by a few more grams.

Fazor
2010-Feb-20, 03:50 AM
Uh-uh...you'll have to start your own thread, since this one is clearly and possessively labeled. http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

For what it's worth, it was less a mark of possession, and more a fair warning as to the nature of the random thoughts.

Otherworldly
2010-Feb-20, 04:27 AM
You could probably do something similar here on earth.

Spoons
2010-Feb-20, 12:10 PM
What - label it Fazor's Earth as a fair warning as to the nature of the random thoughts they'll encounter on it?

Spoons
2010-Feb-20, 12:13 PM
Besides, I've always looked at it more like Bram Stoker's Dracula, which everyone's had a crack at. But Bram Stoker introduced it into the crowd (I can't be bothered researching, so I'm going to pretend that's correct anyway).

geonuc
2010-Feb-20, 12:49 PM
A thread titled 'Fazor's Random Thoughts' is certain to draw my attention. :)

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-20, 01:36 PM
I'm donating my body to science. Trying to decide between cadaver or exhibit. Working in healthcare, I'd exercise the option to go to more than one medical school - head to one, arms to another, etc. I'm jiggy with it...or is that jigsaw with it? :)

But I'm also very interested in plastination à la Gunther von Hagens’ BodyWorlds (http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/exhibitions/current_exhibitions.html) Have to decide on the positioning: peering through a telescope, hiking or spelunking. Great exhibits - go when you get the chance.

BigDon
2010-Feb-20, 01:48 PM
Random thought: A guy I knew in the Navy who came from a line of tattoo artists in L.A. who did and do very well for themselves on a street full of tattoo parlors. (Though he developed a tendency to lose family members despite being well to do. Shooting here, exploding meth lab there.)

Anyway he learned to tattoo by tranqing stray dogs with reds wrapped in hamburger then shaving them and tattooing them.

Of course I had to inquire further into this.

His answer? "The fur grows back and dogs don't shoot you for giving them a bad tattoo"

I couldn't argue with that logic. But now I think of all those dogs in L.A. with secret tattoos...

Burial? Straight up Dixieland for me thank you. With a cremation and one hell of a party on the way home. I don't care to be lowered into the ground. I saw a very good friend lowered into the ground last weekend and that confirmed it wasn't for me. I've been to a lot of funerals but that was my first burial. :(

Spoons
2010-Feb-20, 01:58 PM
I cannot bing myself to understand the open casket thing.

To me it seems awful. I know it must be a personal thing, I just can't fathom experiencing that at a funeral.

BigDon
2010-Feb-20, 02:14 PM

To me it seems awful. I know it must be a personal thing, I just can't fathom experiencing that at a funeral.

I know what you mean. It's like seeing them naked only worse. I feel embarrassed seeing my friends dead.

grant hutchison
2010-Feb-20, 02:23 PM
I know what you mean. It's like seeing them naked only worse. I feel embarrassed seeing my friends dead.Yes, I wouldn't be seen dead ... um ... dead.

Grant Hutchison

Spoons
2010-Feb-20, 06:39 PM
I know what you mean. It's like seeing them naked only worse. I feel embarrassed seeing my friends dead.
My mindset is to take my memories of them and bottle it, preserve it untainted. I just feel that seeing them afterwards doesn't feel like it's really them so much as the vessel where they once were.

Maybe that's weird, I don't know. I suppose the open casket concept is probably a cultural thing, so I hope I am not offending anyone with these thoughts.

Perhaps we should jump back to Fazorial randomonium?

Dgennero
2010-Feb-20, 06:46 PM
Feed me to the dogs, I aint got any use for this piece of meat when I'm dead. Either that or throw me into a power station furnace so I can at least increase my carbon footprint by a few more grams.

Precisely what I think.
However, a memorial plaque with a DNA sample on the next interstellar spacecraft would be nice :)
To know something of me will cross the heliopause would make me happy.

Spoons
2010-Feb-20, 07:06 PM
That sounds like a beautiful tribute - kind of a modern day sea burial.

I know, I know, the sea burial is the modern day sea burial.

How about them Lakers, eh?

Moose
2010-Feb-20, 07:06 PM
I plan to live forever. So far, so good.

Spoons
2010-Feb-20, 07:08 PM
Stick to your guns on that one. At lest you'll never have to see yourself fail at it.

Siguy
2010-Feb-20, 09:20 PM
There's a quotation about Teddy Roosevelt, whom Death had to take in his sleep, because if he had been awake, there would have been a fight.

Fazor
2010-Feb-20, 09:40 PM
Personal thoughts on mortality? I'm not convinced death is real. I mean, I haven't died yet, so how do I know I'll die in the future? :)

DonM435
2010-Feb-20, 10:26 PM

My father had the traditional open-casket wake -- family preference of the majority.

Myself, I refused to look at the remains, as I preferred to remember him alive. It was tough, as everybody and their cousin (well, my cousins too) kept dragging me up there for a prayer.

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-20, 11:43 PM
Met today with a longtime friend who is also a funeral director (5th generation). A great guy with a wonderful sense of humor - folks are dying to meet him....and he's never made a grave mistake. ;) He told me the times they are a-changin'. Fewer 'viewings' and open caskets at services.....trend is more towards cremation with videos & photos of the dearly departed. People now comparison shop over the internet for all things funereal. Get your Star Trek casket or urn here. (http://www.eternalimage.net/star_trek.php)

He teases me about not planning to use all of his services (esp the most lucrative ones)....but he'll get to help ship me. He did point out that I need to reconsider a BodyWorlds donation...my nieces and nephews might find it unsettling to go to a science museum thinking that their Aunt GG might be one of the exhibits. So it looks like medical school(s) instead.

Not being blessed with kids that might be embarrassed by my final wishes (and at 40+ I certainly don't want to be 'blessed' at this stage of my life), I can afford to be a little eccentric in my final arrangements. I just like the idea of a worn out vessel being used to advance education in one way or another.

Bluevision
2010-Feb-21, 12:41 AM
I plan to live forever. So far, so good.I myself would actually rather not. Eternity's a pretty long time, and sounds just as caustic to the soul as death is. That said, I'd settle for maybe 200, assuming it doesn't render me stuck to a hospital bed for the last 100 :sad:

I'd have two preferred ways to finally go: huge ancient greek-style funeral pyre (with some tofu as sacrifice,) or simple cremation+ashes scattered into the sea (I'd have to choose out a nice location.) I'd prefer the latter to use carbon capture and sequestration if possible :lol:

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-21, 12:56 AM
I'd have two preferred ways to finally go: huge ancient greek-style funeral pyre (with some tofu as sacrifice,) or simple cremation+ashes scattered into the sea (I'd have to choose out a nice location.) I'd prefer the latter to use carbon capture and sequestration if possible :lol:
And the produced heat reused for heating houses so it isn't wasted.

Siguy
2010-Feb-21, 02:49 AM
I like to think that if I die, I'll respawn at the last checkpoint.

Spoons
2010-Feb-21, 02:55 AM
That depends how many mushrooms you collect throughout your life, doesn't it?

Moose
2010-Feb-21, 02:36 PM
Yeah, but not _those_ mushrooms.

Bluevision
2010-Feb-22, 12:37 AM
I like to think that if I die, I'll respawn at the last checkpoint.I've interpreted this phrase much more deeply than I think it was ever intended to go. Would the last checkpoint be birth? First date? Start of high school? High school prom? Graduation? University graduation? Marriage? Divorce? Kids? :whistle:

And the produced heat reused for heating houses so it isn't wasted.Naturally.

Spoons
2010-Feb-22, 12:44 AM
Would the last checkpoint be birth? First date? Start of high school? High school prom? Graduation? University graduation? Marriage? Divorce? Kids? :whistle:

Well, one of the standard checkpoints in these games is when you kill a level boss.

Bosses (and possibly floor wardens) everywhere, take note. And maybe even enrol for that self-defence course you've been putting off all this time.

Fazor
2010-Feb-23, 03:03 PM
These random thoughts are less whimsical and more introspective: life would be so much easier if I could just win the lottery. Not that I necessarily feel I need millions of dollars (I wouldn't turn it down, though). But having enough money to do the things I want to do, rather than the things I have to do, would be great. I mean, isn't that everyone's dream?

I'd love to go back to school. The problem is, the three degrees I'd most enjoy are ones that I wouldn't be interested in making money off of. Going to a culinary institute would be great: but on the flip side, I have no desire to be a professional chef. I'd just love to be able to cook that well. I love psychology, but again, I have no desire to work in that field. And lately I've been extremely interested in archaeology. That's a field I could perhaps see myself working in, except for the desire to start a family kind of clashes with the constant travel involved in that line of work.

But if I had more money than I could ever need, I could go get a degree in all those fields, without the bothersome need to actually get a job in the field. :)

Oh, and that brings me to another random thought--this one more of a rant. From time to time I'll get the education itch and do some looking into the possibility of really going back to school. What bugs me is that my financial status disqualifies me for any kind of grants that I've ever found. They say I make too much! I find that annoying, since I'm barely able to pay all my bills as is. And granted I do have some extra money that allows me to buy xbox games once or twice a year, for instance. But the cost to go to school is a little more than a few video games.

Additionally, sure I might make a decent yearly wage now, but if I were back in school full time that would cut my hours at work down to about a third of what they are now. But they don't look at how much you would be making, they look at how much you are making. >:| Jerks!

And the only reason it really bothers me is because I went to a smaller branch school (of Ohio University), when I was going to class it seemed like 50% of the kids were on full-ride plus living-expense grants. But those were the kids that skipped more than half the classes and failed almost every class they had. So they were just given a free shot at education and they waste it. Then there's plenty of people who are much more deserving than me even who cannot get any help.

And for the record, they seem to consider "student loans" as "financial help". Putting myself $30,000+ further in debt at this point in my life doesn't really sound like help to me though.

BigDon
2010-Feb-23, 03:25 PM
I've interpreted this phrase much more deeply than I think it was ever intended to go. Would the last checkpoint be birth? First date? Start of high school? High school prom? Graduation? University graduation? Marriage? Divorce? Kids? :whistle:.

You did that last bit in a different order than I did.

mahesh
2010-Feb-23, 04:19 PM
... show some respect, I am helping to further your education.
Yeah...Atta girl, CG!

Oh, bless you!

closetgeek
2010-Feb-23, 06:27 PM
And the only reason it really bothers me is because I went to a smaller branch school (of Ohio University), when I was going to class it seemed like 50% of the kids were on full-ride plus living-expense grants. But those were the kids that skipped more than half the classes and failed almost every class they had. So they were just given a free shot at education and they waste it. Then there's plenty of people who are much more deserving than me even who cannot get any help.

And for the record, they seem to consider "student loans" as "financial help". Putting myself $30,000+ further in debt at this point in my life doesn't really sound like help to me though.

That is the very reason I am not helping my kids, financially through school. I will help them pay their student loans, after they graduate but they have to earn that. More than half the people I know that went off to college, paid by their parents, never finished.

Yeah...Atta girl, CG!

Oh, bless you!

Mahesh ;)

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-24, 03:08 AM
I will help them pay their student loans, after they graduate but they have to earn that. More than half the people I know that went off to college, paid by their parents, never finished.

CG, good idea. They'll value what they work for. My folks didn't pay for my school....I suffered from tuition-envy, but also valued my education and earned good grades.

Bluevision
2010-Feb-24, 03:33 AM
You did that last bit in a different order than I did.Actually, they just came out that way. A more likely order would be Kids>Marriage>Divorce :)

Fazor
2010-Feb-24, 03:45 AM
New random thought: I think the term "Bob sled race" is too informal for the Olympics. It's a big-time event. It should be called the "Robert Sled race".

Spoons
2010-Feb-24, 03:52 AM
Or Mr Sledd Race.

http://eths63.org/Photos/Thumbnails/649.jpg
I approve this message.

closetgeek
2010-Feb-24, 11:47 AM
Actually, they just came out that way. A more likely order would be Kids>Marriage>Divorce :)

That's the order I went. It was a fail/success depending on how you look at it. :whistle:

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-24, 02:32 PM
Actually, they just came out that way. A more likely order would be Kids>Marriage>Divorce :)

I'm missing out on the kids and the divorce...

I really wanted one and am glad not to have the other (which is which occasionally varies ;)) but for the most part, I'm content.

Fazor - are you considering going back to school to complete a degree or to earn another one?

Going back was one of the best things I've ever done. Finally finished my bachelor's with a 4.0 (decades elapsed between earning associates and going back to school). Didn't qualify for any aid, but was able to use employer's tuition reimbursement program and saved to pay for what it didn't cover. It was an accelerated 2 year cohort program, tough & intense, but I loved it. You're so right - many of the kids who didn't have to pay tuition or work skipped....1/3 of our cohort didn't finish, but ALL of us who worked fulltime finished with solid grades. My mantra to get going was "Earn your degree before AARP!"

Starting my masters next month....ALL of my colleagues in my dept. have advanced degrees and many assume I do as well. I work hard, have 20 years experience and perform well so the output is there...but I'm missing the pedigree.

Fazor
2010-Feb-24, 02:35 PM
GGirl: To earn another one. I have an associate's that would also lend itself towards a BA in Criminal Justice, but I don't know that I'm interested in pursuing that path anymore.

Problem is, all the things I'd love to go to school for are also things that probably wouldn't lead to a job better, financially, than I already have.

Spoons
2010-Feb-24, 02:40 PM
I really wish I'd done something in the sciences.

Well, my degree is a bachelor of science, but in construction. It was a money spinner with good security, but it's a long way from a passion of mine. Ah well, for now I'm just making myself as content as possible to try learn what I can in my spare time. Can't really complain about the pay either - it's not too bad.

Got to keep up those brain exercises!

SPANDEX HAMMER!

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-24, 03:07 PM
Free advice, and worth what you're paying for it..."go back."

In healthcare, (on the non-clinical side of the business) having a degree, even if it's unrelated to the field....matters. That was part of the reason I went back, but my main motivation was that I enjoy learning...I always liked school. In my case, I lacked confidence that I could balance work and school...and I need to work. With a degree program that was eligible for tuition reimbursement, I finally stopped allowing myself excuses and went back.

I'm already at the top of my payscale, so it didn't change my income, but having a business degree does give me more options. Many depts in my health network and external employers won't even consider you for a position without a bachelor's or masters.

Never could have predicted the benefits I've received. Made wonderful contacts in several industries, inspired and grateful for the lifestories of my fellow students, and oh, yeah - I learned a lot on the class topics as a student...and a mentor to my younger classmates.

Of course the pièce de résistance (thanks to having to fulfill a science elective) I was introduced to Astronomy....and BAUT. :)

Fazor
2010-Feb-24, 03:54 PM
We'll see what they say my financial options are.

mugaliens
2010-Feb-27, 12:59 AM
I'm listening to an "Introduction to Archeology" lecture online, and it's given rise to some random thoughts.

I hope that before I die, I have enough money to fund a proper burial. A proper burial includes:

First, I'd need a private company to build a rocket and a lander module that could theoretically land a person on another planet..

Lol! I think I'd rather fling myself into a volcano!

Although it would be cool if I had those kinds of bucks...

Fazor
2010-Feb-27, 01:03 AM
:) Random thoughts today:

Beer-battered onion rings = Good.
Onion ring battered beer = Bad.

Punching out at the end of the day = Good.
Being Punched out at the end of the day = Bad.

Peanut-butter = Good.
Buttered Peanuts = Also good.

Spoons
2010-Feb-27, 01:19 AM
I wish more of my random thoughts were fit for public consumption.

But then, they still sell KFC, don't they?

kleindoofy
2010-Feb-27, 01:25 AM
I wish more of my random thoughts were fit for public consumption.

But then, they still sell KFC, don't they?
Most of my random thoughts are fit for public consumption.

But not for BAUT.