PDA

View Full Version : My Moving Experience

BigDon
2010-Feb-20, 03:21 AM
So while I was a sailor for four years I was a furniture mover for six. I learned as much about the world doing that as I did being a sailor. In equal portions of good and bad.

Now anybody who sticks with furniture moving usually has an outfit they started with that teachs you the trade, then after you learn what's what they move on to a "more comfortable fit".

For now I'll only talk about the "comfortable fit" as I do owe my first company* for teaching me the trade well enough to get good.

Now even in the good outfit a lot of wierd things have happened to me and
I've had unique experiances with artists and fine art. Encluding extinguishing it.

And that broooaaad cross section of society. I thought the Navy showed me enough of that. I forgot the Navy is actually a pretty good filter to let's say...furniture moving.

I intended to write more of a story tonight as I had no plans, having to cancil out on a visit from Boo suddenly, but one of my foster sons is at the airport for a surprise visit. Planned visit to his folks, surprise visit to me.

All the way from the land of Texas. Where he has the mellow relaxing job (:liar:) of "prison guard". (I'll try to talk him out of it again.) so I have to log out and at least load the dishwasher.

At least he's bringing the beer.

See you guys tomorrow.

novaderrik
2010-Feb-20, 04:39 AM
wow.. that story totally ended differently than i thought it would..

BigDon
2010-Feb-20, 05:53 AM
Well, everybody went to dinner.

I passed on dinner as I had some of my insides outside yesterday and was advised no solids for a bit. Just my illium, and parts of the ascending but you got lot's of that. And they only took a little bit. (I'm still missing it at the moment though.)

Proof That Mexicans Watch Southpark

So we had this kid come on board the "comfortable fit" job who had a bit of a rough time fitting in. While it should be derogatory I've seen the word that best discribes him float a few times so I'll risk it. Oh wait! I just thought of a better word!

He fashioned himself a white rapper, the next Eminem (Or whatever, I'll hold Nick Cannon's coat for him if he wants to pound Mr. Em's butt to the deck plates.)

Anywho this young man, like a lot of us, would sing while he worked, especially at the warehouse with no outsiders nearby, trouble was it was that Snoop Dog finizzle rap, which none of my fellow brethren listened to.

So one hot day in the warehouse while loading trucks on the dock he's finizzling and shanizzling like mad and when he paused for breathe I yelled "Timmy!"

16 or my 18 Mexican co-workers present started laughing so hard they fell over. He eventually had to stop because all the latins picked it up. (That's the Nicaraguans and the Guatemalans. Most of whom you don't call Mexican more than once. At least the ones that move furniture.

Now most of the Mexicans who worked for us belonged to two camps, what was dubbed "House Ramone" and "House Juan". These were the two leaders of groups of *legal* young men who would rent large houses. And then seriously subdivide. These guys had rules, you sent money home, xyz were unacceptable behaivor, etc, etc.

It's that Ramone ran a stricter house for the more self-disciplined young men. Ramone was a Ph.d in astrophysics in Mexico. He made more money moving furniture in the United States (supervisor material, go figure). I liked and trusted both Ramone and Juan and would let them move my stuff when even if I wasn't home.

Oh, they're from dinner back now.

More later.

BD

BigDon
2010-Feb-20, 12:13 PM
Okay it's 1:30 and they're all gone.

Now I've found that people who move furniture well and for a while have a lot more similarities than differences.

Now the first outfit I was with was banned by a judge's order from having any further Christmas parties that were off the premises. After showing up three times in front of him in three years. And every single time we got off on self-defense, they always started it.

The last straw was somebodies I.T. department was getting drunk and ALL these boys were pale and doughy. Seven of them and nine of us. We even had witnesses state we tried to be nice and then we tried to get management to intervene.

The bouncers were somewhere else on another floor. We were in a hotel bar and the bouncers were rousing high schoolers who thought, "Hey! Let's rent a hotel room and drink there!" was an original idea.

Then the Pudge Patrol got physical.

I'm the oldest guy on my side at 44, and at the time I could pick up a six cylynder engine waist high. Then there was one of the mellow Mexican old drivers with four kids and the boss, who's just inherited the business due to Dad retiring. He in his early thirties.

The rest were 22 year old white kids who on average move 30 to 40 thousand pounds of furniture a week, were avid professional wrestling fans AND most belonged to the same dojo. Had for years.

The IT crew were all thirty somethings and already rowdy when we got there. And while we didn't push anything we didn't back up a step.

Has anybody but me ever witnessed the horrid sight of a drunk, pudgy, computer tech, mid level, still wearing his shirt and tie being held inverted by his knees and having his head dashed into the floor? It's quite peculiar. Alice in Wonderlandy almost.

And you might be thinking, "Hmmm, that's got to be bad for a drunk, pudgy, computer tech, mid level, still wearing his shirt and tie to be bashed into the floor upside down like that"

But then again you shouldn't swing liquor bottles at people you don't know just because you thought it look cool on tv or Grand Theft Auto or something. That seemed to be the root cause of his ill health if you ask me.

And not counting the odd nose, no bones were broken! We showed restraint.

As soon as it became apparent I wasn't needed (and I wasn't!) I put my hands up and backed away before any contact. I wasn't particularly mad at anybody and it was a Christmas party. And my boss was there. So the Boss, the older driver and I departed.

But I finally left that first outfit after a year or so more.

You see there is a hierarchy in moving franchises and your standards have to be X high to wear a particular brand name BUT the same company might have more than one brand. With a sliding price scale depending on which tier to pick from.

If you have to move furniture working for the upper tier is better.

The outfit started to lose it's good name and take a lower tier name and in doing so started accepting lower end jobs and began relaxing it's standards on some of the drivers we had to work for and the jobs.

The last straw was they wanted me to evict this single mom with two small children two weeks before Christmas. When your outfit is taking eviction jobs it's time to move on down the road.

And this fricken' job is just beautiful from the get go. They trucked us across the bay to the Acorn Projects in Oakland without telling us where we were going, turn us over to some housing authority goons in suits and ties who smelled like off duty cops who talked to us like thieving trash. Told us we were going to be wearing this special pocketless coveralls and be filmed on video cameras on tripods the entire time.

Anybody guess what happened when this person asked any questions?

By this time my crew knew me. I'm very professional, at least by the standards of my chosen industry and this was just too much.

"Yeah! I got something to say! I'm a professional *Gosh Darned* mover not some drunk driver in an orange jumpsuit!"

I tried not to be too agressive as A: he was either under house arrest somewhere, unlikey or B: he was wearing an ankle holster, which meant he had more guns than I did at the moment.

(My Dad was a policeman and wore one a lot in or out of uniform. Plus another in the small of his back I've seen him pull a time or two on nefarious individuals) You learn to notice them on others. Can look like your sock is grabbing your pant leg unless you get them tailored.

But I was furious. I stormed out of the parking lot, asked a passersby for directions to the closest Bart Station and stormed on down the street. I got about three blocks when one of the younger kids pulls up in the smallest of the three trucks we brought and said "Don, you'll never make it alive the mile to the bart station! Get in!"

Well, I wasn't afraid a drop mainly because it was 9 AM and nobody was up but church ladies and kids late for school and none of them seemed particularly viscious but it was a ride.

That was my last assignment for my first outfit.

Well, a winter passed and I made ends meet as best I could and then found out my favorite dispatcher (Mike) from the first outfit got a job as a manager in the second.

When I walked into the mover's lounge the first time there Mike just happened to be walking out of the dispatch office and called out across the room by way of greeting "Hey Don! If your looking for a job your hired!"

That turned heads and warmed the cockles of my heart it did.

He didn't even make me wear the new hire overalls. I got to go right to greens. (It was a Bekins outfit.) Then he introduced me to his dispatcher the guy looked like Mel Gibson's younger clone but instead of being an Aussie he was from Dublin born and raised. A pleasant fellow to have a conversation with as I don't hear a Dublin accent a lot, but good Lord he had a sharp side to his tongue for workers playing the fool. "Oh I see! Sick the day after payday?"

Then he'ed transform into an Irish Sam Kinison with tourettes.

"Well :silenced:! How about we :silenced: wait a :silenced: while before you :silenced: get another :silenced: payday!!! So you don't get :silenced: sick anymore!

And if it was the obvious Scotch flu he wouldn't work you for a week, two if he was depending on you.

But a nice enough dispatcher all told.

Well it's almost a quarter after four in the morning. I'm too tired to type but still can't sleep. I'm *uncomfortable*.

manxman
2010-Feb-20, 02:30 PM
come on don how long will it take before we get to apart where someone gets a hoof in gorbals.

nice thread don.

ABR.
2010-Feb-20, 05:27 PM
I passed on dinner as I had some of my insides outside yesterday and was advised no solids for a bit. Just my illium, and parts of the ascending but you got lot's of that. And they only took a little bit. (I'm still missing it at the moment though.)

Um...ouch! I hope everything came out okay, that is, everything that needed to come out.

BigDon
2010-Feb-20, 09:51 PM
Um...ouch! I hope everything came out okay, that is, everything that needed to come out.

I'm still awaiting word on the processing bit ABe. Supposed to have called yesterday. But the place was packed. Must be insides harvesting season. We'll have to ask Grant about that.

I was extremely confident with my docs. I think I got an "A" team. Even woke up in recovery wondering, "When do we start?". The best kind of procedure, if you have to have one.

This is going to impend my nature walks though. So I'm going to bring Nature indoors.

That's another thread. Two actually.

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-21, 12:34 AM

BD, Wishing you a smooth recovery. I work in QI/PI healthcare....it's fine to call for results vs waiting for the phone to ring. We love activated patients. Keep the taking the pain meds on schedule...if you're not sleeping let the Dr. know - sleep is an important part of your recovery....so is ambulating.....but sleepwalking, not recommended.

As a kid, my family was transferred by the company - moved 16 times from sea to shining sea. It can't have been much fun for the movers with 5 little kids swarming around trying 'to help' on both ends of the move.

EDIT - Nice resource used by Drs and RN's for medications and treatments now has a free section: Epocrates (http://www.epocrates.com/)

Donnie B.
2010-Feb-21, 01:57 AM
EDIT - Nice resource used by Drs and RN's for medications and treatments now has a free section: Epocrates (http://www.epocrates.com/)

Well, it didn't prove to be terribly useful on my first attempt. I tried to look up a medication I'm currently taking, and it found several articles -- but when I tried to get to them, I got a "sign up for free trial" page. So ultimately, the site isn't free after all (except for a limited time).

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-21, 02:22 AM
DonnieB

Grrrr, they've made it trickier to get to the free version (not the trial for the premium), but the free version IS there. Dagnabit -

I use this every day and I'm working with neurology patients with chronic conditions and teaching them and their families how to use it. Going to have to rewrite instructions for our new patients to get in.

Free tabs are:
Drugs
Diseases
Multicheck. Multicheck is an interaction checker

*The other tabs (Pill ID, Med Calc and Tables) are a paid premium service.

I'll see if I can get a link that gets you past the garbage easier and repost.

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-21, 02:57 AM
In the interim, I've set up a free account so you can take a look and see what this has to offer - first 3 tabs only.

Epocrates (https://www.epocrates.com/sessionManager.do?type=rxweb&referurl=/online.do&refernext=https://online.epocrates.com)

User Name: BAUT
Password: bauter

EDIT: Spoke with Epocrates about difficulty for users to enroll in free version. They've made some adjustments and had already planned other enhancements.

Q: Is there a link that would take them to the sign-up for the free version only (not the free trial for the premium version ?
A: If you go to http://www.epocrates.com, then click on "My Account" and choose "Register Now"
If you prefer, you can call Epocrates toll-free at (800) 230-2150 for any further help or to get the free trial

Q: Is Epocrates considering making this more intuitive for consumers?
A: Yes, we are working a complete redesign with a lighter registration process