PDA

View Full Version : Straw poll on moderation.

Moose
2010-Feb-21, 06:11 PM
Given the new round of griping despite the similar poll we had only a month ago, I've set up a pair of straw polls whose options are stated as neutrally and as simply as I know how to do. Hopefully this will give us all a more complete idea of where folks stand.

Glom
2010-Feb-21, 06:42 PM
This exercise won't provide meaningful information.

You need to bring in the professionals (http://www.yougov.co.uk/).

Paul Beardsley
2010-Feb-21, 07:15 PM
Oh dear, here we go again.

I voted for About Right, but if there had been (say) five options, and one was, "Perhaps a little too lenient with persistent offenders," then I would have gone for that.

kleindoofy
2010-Feb-21, 08:01 PM
I voted "about right" also.

I do, however, want to mention that the inconsistencies and cases of making up rules on the fly, especially where they contradict the written rules, can be aggrevating.

Arneb
2010-Feb-21, 08:37 PM
Whatever it is, it's wrong. Too much or too little, I don't care. It's just too. Always.

Err, what?

Gillianren
2010-Feb-21, 09:26 PM
There have been a few people who I felt had been let to get away with too much, but I think a couple of my friends should've had their hands slapped once or twice. I've been on a board with essentially no moderation, and it's one of the things which drove me off that board and onto the old BABB.

Tucson_Tim
2010-Feb-21, 09:42 PM
There is an option missing in this poll: "not applied equally". Generally I think this forum is moderated just fine, but from time to time I see some members given leeway and others pounced on by over-zealous mods or mods carrying a grudge.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-21, 10:28 PM
Where's the "Just about right, and I really would like certain posters to stop acting like martyrs" option?

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-21, 10:48 PM
Where's the "Just about right, and I really would like certain posters to stop acting like martyrs" option?
That's what you vote by marking "about right" here, and "excessive whining" in the other poll.

captain swoop
2010-Feb-22, 12:19 AM
I voted "about right" also.

I do, however, want to mention that the inconsistencies and cases of making up rules on the fly, especially where they contradict the written rules, can be aggrevating.

I hope you have an example of a Mod 'making up rules'

Buttercup
2010-Feb-22, 12:20 AM
About right.

captain swoop
2010-Feb-22, 12:21 AM
There is an option missing in this poll: "not applied equally". Generally I think this forum is moderated just fine, but from time to time I see some members given leeway and others pounced on by over-zealous mods or mods carrying a grudge.

I hope you have reported these instances when you have seen a Mod 'bearing a grudge' or people being given what you think is 'too much leeway'

Otherwise how are to we know that's how you feel?

Tucson_Tim
2010-Feb-22, 12:30 AM
I hope you have reported these instances when you have seen a Mod 'bearing a grudge' or people being given what you think is 'too much leeway'

Otherwise how are to we know that's how you feel?

I have. Many times. There is no record kept that normal members, like myself, can access. But you should have a record of them.

kleindoofy
2010-Feb-22, 12:53 AM
I hope you have an example of a Mod 'making up rules'
You bet.

When I demonstrate that a picture I want to post does not violate copyright laws and am then told that "ok, but" the site doesn't want pictures posted that are too big and it turns out that my picture iss ca. 1/3 of the allowed size yet is still not allowed ...

while in the same hour a moderator posts a picture 3 times the allowed size, while another moderator posts possibly copyright protected smilies linked from a private, non-participant website ...

Yes, that is aggrevating.

There is another example that didn't involve me but in which the moderator wrote "yes, it's allowed, but I think ..." and continued to make his own personal opinion into an ad hoc rule ...

I would have to look both cases up. I don't record such things other than in my memory.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-22, 01:35 AM
There was one case that bothered me, where a popular poster was allowed to post a bleeped-out curse word (a three-letter one preceeded by "smart"), when other members have been acted on for "trying to evade the curse filter".

I believe I was accused of having a "vendetta" against that particular poster for reporting stuff like that and wanting an explanation for why it was allowed. Fun stuff.

It was a small thing, though.

mahesh
2010-Feb-22, 11:41 AM
... or mods carrying a grudge.

I doubt that such a creature exists at BAUT, T_T.

Tucson_Tim
2010-Feb-22, 01:14 PM
I doubt that such a creature exists at BAUT, T_T.

Well, my friend, sad to say that it has happened. I know that they are human too but I guess I just expect them to be a bit better than us down here in the pits. Like I've stated several times, generally speaking, this forum is moderated quite well.

Cougar
2010-Feb-22, 02:03 PM
There is an option missing in this poll: "not applied equally".

I'm going to take the odd position that moderation strength should not be applied equally. On occasion, a new, professional scientist will contribute to the board. Such people are very valuable resources, and I think some effort should be made to keep them, or at least not drive them away. I'm not saying they should be immune from moderation, but they should get some slack in exchange for their valuable experience. If they tend to ad hom, a PM saying we appreciate their participation but we try to avoid ad homs might be helpful.

CFGauss comes to mind.

Tucson_Tim
2010-Feb-22, 02:30 PM
I'm going to take the odd position that moderation strength should not be applied equally. On occasion, a new, professional scientist will contribute to the board. Such people are very valuable resources, and I think some effort should be made to keep them, or at least not drive them away. I'm not saying they should be immune from moderation, but they should get some slack in exchange for their valuable experience. If they tend to ad hom, a PM saying we appreciate their participation but we try to avoid ad homs might be helpful.

CFGauss comes to mind.

I'm not sure why professional scientists would need to resort to ad hom attacks, but it wasn't them I was thinking about.