PDA

View Full Version : Straw poll on public complaining.

Moose
2010-Feb-21, 06:17 PM
Given the new round of public griping despite the similar poll we had only a month ago, I've set up a pair of straw polls whose options are stated as neutrally and as simply as I know how to do. Hopefully this will give us all a more complete idea of where folks stand.

John Jaksich
2010-Feb-21, 06:27 PM
IMO---some of the moderation looks rather justified ...based on the offenses

but on the other hand...

sometimes it may seem as if some people know how to get by with out as much of any notice, at all.

It probably depends on how closely one watches the board and manages to self-moderate "to taste."

captain swoop
2010-Feb-21, 07:20 PM
As always we rely on people reporting. We can't monitor every thread and every post.

Arneb
2010-Feb-21, 08:38 PM
Of course, since the moderation is always wrong, there cannot be too much complaining. Can there?

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-21, 08:58 PM
And this is an example of what I was talking about with non-professionals writing polls.

Both answers indicated the moderators are doing OK.

Gillianren
2010-Feb-21, 09:23 PM
Since I do think the mods are doing quite well, the only choice for me was "excessive" anyway.

manxman
2010-Feb-21, 09:24 PM
i may be controversial here but i reckon he who pays the piper calls the tune.
this forum is provided free to me so i will abide by the bill payers wishes. .. thanks.

it doesnt take much effort to be civil to your fellow human.

be lucky all.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-21, 11:06 PM
Excessive.

AstroRockHunter
2010-Feb-22, 12:12 AM
Oh Dear:doh:

I mis-read the question and answered 'about right'.

I should have answered 'excessive'. :wall:

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-22, 12:14 AM
report your post and ask for it to be adjusted

Buttercup
2010-Feb-22, 12:18 AM
Excessive.

Some folks can't seem to understand that not "everywhere" is Burger King. :rolleyes: Grow up!

Swift
2010-Feb-22, 12:26 AM
Some folks can't seem to understand that not "everywhere" is Burger King. :rolleyes:
Would you like fries with your post?
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/category/www/24383_50_50.jpg

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-22, 01:12 AM
Excessive

As a relative newbie, I've found BAUT refreshing in comparison to other boards for the manner in which lively debate is held while maintaining civility. Many other boards and blogs (including the BA's*) don't hold to this standard. *Did I just commit an infraction?

I can refer others to BAUT without concern for the language they might encounter. Ideas are dissected with surgical precision vs the blunt force trauma of other venues.

For the vast majority of BAUTers who inform and self-moderate, well done! As for the others, thank you Mod Squad for keeping them in check.

Swift
2010-Feb-22, 01:16 AM
Many other boards and blogs (including the BA's*) don't hold to this standard. *Did I just commit an infraction?

No.

It has been discussed before, but the BA's blog is a separate entity, even though they share an owner, and it runs on a different set of rules (none, as far as I can tell). The BA himself says things and discusses topics on his blog that would get him infracted on BAUT.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-22, 01:17 AM
...blogs (including the BA's*) don't hold to this standard. *Did I just commit an infraction?
That's well known and likely one of the reasons why the blog comments are no longer mirrored here.

Chuck
2010-Feb-22, 02:28 AM
The "Not enough complaining" poll option seems to be missing. ;)

Spoons
2010-Feb-22, 03:15 AM
The "Not enough complaining" poll option seems to be missing. ;)

Always complaining, aren't you Chuck? :D

DrRocket
2010-Feb-22, 03:43 AM
Given the new round of public griping despite the similar poll we had only a month ago, I've set up a pair of straw polls whose options are stated as neutrally and as simply as I know how to do. Hopefully this will give us all a more complete idea of where folks stand.

I was looking for the option of "irrelevant". That seems to be missing.

Unless there is some action taken as a result of complaining, one way or another, who cares how much complaining exists ?

2010-Feb-22, 04:07 AM
Unless there is some action taken as a result of complaining, one way or another, who cares how much complaining exists ?

Just guessing, but could those who care most be the moderators and admins who must consider the feedback and decide that action is not required? They don't seem to be the kind who ignore any complaints, even if in the end they don't act on them.

And I care about them.

Too, others care about their fellow members -- I do -- when legitimate complaints are raised. Fewer unfounded complaints would give the well-founded complaints more attention and, I'd expect, better odds of timely repair.

I worry that too much crying of wolf will cause the general membership to stop reading complaints.

DrRocket
2010-Feb-22, 04:28 AM
Just guessing, but could those who care most be the moderators and admins who must consider the feedback and decide that action is not required? They don't seem to be the kind who ignore any complaints, even if in the end they don't act on them.

And I care about them.

Too, others care about their fellow members -- I do -- when legitimate complaints are raised. Fewer unfounded complaints would give the well-founded complaints more attention and, I'd expect, better odds of timely repair.

I worry that too much crying of wolf will cause the general membership to stop reading complaints.

I pretty much draw the line at complaints about complaints.

JohnD
2010-Feb-22, 10:20 AM
I've commented on this poll on the original 'excessive' thread.
http://www.bautforum.com/forum-introductions-feedback/100838-excessive-moderation-4.html#post1686022
Pleasingly, the comments above confirmed my resposne before I made it.
John

mahesh
2010-Feb-22, 10:59 AM
Would you like fries with your post?
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/category/www/24383_50_50.jpg
Isn't that...one of the lines, in Ben Hecht's The Front Page?

Walter Burns to Hildy Johnson...

Earl Williams...fries...

No no. On second thoughts, that was a hanging...

Swift
2010-Feb-22, 02:24 PM
By the by, anyone who things they have a better idea on how to structure a poll on this topic is free to take their own crack at it.

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-22, 02:31 PM
Exactly how many people that stay away from these discussions complaining about moderation are really going to come to this thread just to see more about complaining about moderation?

This, along with the other reasons mentioned (such as the complainers being the ones that tend to vote) makes me think that the results are going to be very distorted.

On that note; I vote excessive.

Argos
2010-Feb-22, 03:04 PM
My vote on both polls:

Moderators actions: about right.

Public complaining: about right.

Thereīs no contradiction to it. If people perceive the moderation to be excessive (although I myself donīt think so), let them be heard.