PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Live Near KSC?

closetgeek
2010-Feb-22, 02:24 PM
I have yet to visit Kennedy Space Center so I am not sure what the radius is, by way of residential neighborhoods. I live about 60 miles, by road but on the map it looks more like 30 miles in direct route.
Last night, I was in my room, playing on the computer when I heard what sounded like someone attempting to kick in the sliding glass door. I am telling you, I jumped clear out of my skin and for about twenty minutes after I found out what it was, I was still shaking with tears in my eyes. It seemed like two thuds, one right after the other, and I asked my boyfriend, with whom I was chatting on teamspeak, if he hear that. He lives within 5 miles of my house and said he didn't hear anything. I was just about to tell him to call the police and get over here when he finally heard it. Normally, I am outside when the shuttles come in because typically, I know ahead of time, but rarely is tv tuned to the news on Sundays.
I was just wondering if anyone lives closer than I because I can't imagine what it would sound like from the same or surrounding towns. That was pretty impressive.

megrfl
2010-Feb-22, 03:07 PM
I'm assuming you are in the Melbourne area, I'm about 60 miles south of you, last night we didn't get the sonic booms, but I have been home twice when we did. I describe them as something heavy landing on the roof and then that something heavy rolling off the roof. My son had to calm a friend who called him wondering what the explosion was, thankfully, my son knew what it was -- his friend was home by himself and quite worried.

I think the sonic booms occur a bit before landing, so the outlying cities get the booms, it's not necessarily the closer you are to the landing site the more boom you get.

mike alexander
2010-Feb-22, 04:05 PM
I live near a KFC. The food does produce loud booms for some poeple.

closetgeek
2010-Feb-22, 04:26 PM
I'm assuming you are in the Melbourne area, I'm about 60 miles south of you, last night we didn't get the sonic booms, but I have been home twice when we did. I describe them as something heavy landing on the roof and then that something heavy rolling off the roof. My son had to calm a friend who called him wondering what the explosion was, thankfully, my son knew what it was -- his friend was home by himself and quite worried.

I think the sonic booms occur a bit before landing, so the outlying cities get the booms, it's not necessarily the closer you are to the landing site the more boom you get.

I didn't even think about that. I just remember when I lived in Ft Pierce, the rumble seems far more subtle. That may have just been the angle at which it came in.

mahesh
2010-Feb-22, 04:31 PM
Hey, I was going to ask you both, meg.../ CG, yesterday if you were looking forward to the landing, but being tight for time...didn't get a chance.

I've never heard an STS boom, but we've seen one in the last fortnight. Wasn't that goooood!

Mike, you are such a scream!

JustAFriend
2010-Feb-22, 07:04 PM
You really have to be near the flight path to hear the booms.

I'm in Stuart, between Melbourne and West Palm Beach, and when the Shuttle has come down just this side of Lake Okeechobee the double-thump shook the windows.

But I went out on my patio for the STS-130 landing and heard nothing. Looking on the approach maps, they came in well WEST of Lake Okeechobee closer to Arcadia.

The atmosphere and cloud-cover can reduce the booms, too.

.... I did scare a bunch of raccoons off my birdfeeders tho.....

Fazor
2010-Feb-22, 07:13 PM
I thought I remembered from watching one shuttle re-entry that the booms came before they started the approach spiral, no?

slang
2010-Feb-22, 08:47 PM
I missed on which orbit STS-130 landed, but here are the ground tracks (http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/shuttlemissions/sts130/news/landing.html) for several landing options.

mahesh
2010-Feb-23, 11:31 AM
I missed on which orbit STS-130 landed, but here are the ground tracks (http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/shuttlemissions/sts130/news/landing.html) for several landing options.

From what I can gather, de-orbit ignition was at Orbit 217

...09:14:52 PM...13...17...00...45...Deorbit ignition (orbit 217)
10:20:37 PM...13...18...06...30...Landing at Kennedy Space Center...

DonM435
2010-Feb-25, 01:49 AM
I live in Merritt Island. No matter how prepared you are, the booms always seem to ring in louder than expected. They scare pets too.

closetgeek
2010-Feb-25, 01:26 PM
I live in Merritt Island. No matter how prepared you are, the booms always seem to ring in louder than expected. They scare pets too.

Wow, DonM, you are real close. The launches must be a sight from your house.

DonM435
2010-Feb-25, 01:29 PM
Wow, DonM, you are real close. The launches must be a sight from your house.

Yeah. My wife usually takes a picture or two from our driveway. I posted one here once.