PDA

View Full Version : Look out, Pittsburgh ! The Bad One is in town - and hes in

William the Conqueror
2002-Apr-13, 04:32 PM
The Bad One was quoted in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette yesterday.

Where - among other things - The Bad One said:

"That's the problem with debunking. It takes 10 times as long on average to debunk than it does to just say it wrong in the first place."

The second talk will be a "very thorough trashing of the people who think that NASA faked the Apollo moon landing," Plait says. "This conspiracy theory has been around for decades, but last year Fox broadcast a TV show, which really made it mainstream."

Read all about it, reeadd aaall about it - here:

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/20020412astronomy2.asp

William the Conqueror

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Apr-13, 05:15 PM
All right! Astro-trash talking.

We need to sponsor someone in the WWF. Hmm, I wonder if Perry Saturn (http://www.wwfsuperstars.com/saturn/photo/) would do?

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Apr-13, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the plug! Yeah, I'm in Pittsburgh right now. The Moon Hoax talk went pretty well, but after the general talk I was challenged by a real live Hoax Believer. I was polite (of course), but firm. He had a copy of Ralph Rene's book with him! I knew the conversation was over as soon as he said Kaysing's favorite line, "Nothing could convince me" that the landings were real.

Sigh. I believe he'll be at the Moon Hoax talk tomorrow. That should be interesting.

johnwitts
2002-Apr-13, 09:49 PM
Just take Jay with you. He'll end up asking for his Mommy. Better still, turn his arguments around on him. Just state that you won't explain it to him because 'nothing would convince him' anyway. That'll leave him looking stupid.

Mr. X
2002-Apr-14, 12:41 AM
Or you can always talk smack in front of everybody! You know, smack! And at those people! You know, as in saying what's REALLY on your mind! That ought to shut 'em up! Or at least shock 'em speechless!

What? Why you all looking at me funny?

James
2002-Apr-14, 02:52 AM
On 2002-04-13 20:41, Mr. X wrote:
Or you can always talk smack in front of everybody! You know, smack! And at those people! You know, as in saying what's REALLY on your mind! That ought to shut 'em up! Or at least shock 'em speechless!

What? Why you all looking at me funny?

Not in public, X. It's just not done. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Good luck tomorrow, BA!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: James on 2002-04-13 22:53 ]</font>

Mr. X
2002-Apr-14, 03:10 AM
Oh darn... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

All good things in life are either immoral, fattening or overpriced. - Rajavi Kejriwal

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr. X on 2002-04-13 23:10 ]</font>

Lisa
2002-Apr-14, 03:16 PM
I think the "nothing will convince me" statement by HBers is what frosts me the most. Evidence of the moon landing is dismissed out of hand. Yet the HBers expect everyone to swallow their "evidence" whole and not subject it to any scrutiny whatsoever.
Your HBer should have a tee shirt that reads "Irony Alert".
Lisa

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Apr-14, 07:07 PM
Oh well, the guy didn't show up today. I even made up special slide about how Ralph Rene thinks pi=3.146! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

JayUtah
2002-Apr-15, 12:14 AM
I think the "nothing will convince me" statement by HBers is what frosts me the most.

Yes, it is one of their more offensive salvos. However you can treat it as tantamount to an admission of closed-mindedness. Conspiracy theorists fancy themselves free thinkers, unfettered by the constraints of "conformist" sciences. What kind of free thinker makes up his mind indelibly?

When you consider the intricacies of epistemology, the most informative conclusion you can sometimes draw is that you're wrong.