PDA

View Full Version : Random selection lottery tickets.

peteshimmon
2010-Feb-26, 08:15 PM
I purchased a random number lottery ticket
this morning. They call it "Lucky Dip" which
should be outlawed by the Trading Standards
office really as only a few tickets will be
lucky. Anyway, I wondered if anyone knows the
method of putting numbers on the ticket given
that lotteries elsewhere use similar methods.

I ask because I found three numbers the same
as a ticket I bought last week. And in the
same position. As two numbers were 13 and 19
I have written this ticket off:) But I find
my purchase time was just 30 seconds later
than the purchase time last week! These
receipts do have a use. So are the same
"random numbers" issued in sequence each week?

The lottery company brought in Lucky Dip
pretty fast some fifteen years ago after there
were over a hundred jackpot winners one week
a short while after the lottery started. A
freak explained away because people in a hurry
selected numbers down the center of the table
on the purchase slip. There were funny lectures
on the lottery show telling people how to
choose "better" numbers.

So, does the lottery computer send out truly
random numbers when processing a sale or does
it issue "unselected" numbers in sequence
rather like raffle tickets? I suspect the
latter.

Strange
2010-Feb-26, 09:16 PM
They call it "Lucky Dip" which
lucky.

In Italian, scratch-cards are called gratta e vinci ("scratch and win"). I thought this was quite unreasonable as I occasionally scratched and never won.

As to the rest: dunno, sorry.

Rue
2010-Feb-26, 09:26 PM
But I find my purchase time was just 30 seconds later
than the purchase time last week!

I don't know, but that might be an interesting experiment for anyone to do. Buy your tickets at the same time, using "Quickpick" as it is called here, two weeks running and see what happens.

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-26, 09:32 PM
Give the number range and the number of numbers, and I'm sure someone here would be willing to compute the odds of matching 3 numbers on 2 tickets.

Swift
2010-Feb-26, 09:43 PM
Sorry peteshimmon, I don't know the answer - it is an interesting question.

But speaking of the lottery, the Ohio Lottery has a slogan they use in their commercials "Odds are, you'll have fun". My version is "Odds are, you'll lose" ;)

Van Rijn
2010-Feb-26, 09:51 PM
Sorry peteshimmon, I don't know the answer - it is an interesting question.

But speaking of the lottery, the Ohio Lottery has a slogan they use in their commercials "Odds are, you'll have fun". My version is "Odds are, you'll lose" ;)

Which works in with the "Scratch and . . ." cards that Henna mentioned. It would be interesting to see how many would buy them if they said "Scratch and Lose" instead.

I've never been much of a gambler. In California, they've had a long running lottery system. Very rarely I'd pay a dollar for a ticket, when I could at least imagine the possibility of winning. Then they changed the odds so it was much harder to win (but also increased the prize). At that point, I couldn't convince myself there was a possibility, so it was no longer fun, and I've never purchased a ticket since.

Swift
2010-Feb-26, 09:54 PM
How about "Scratch and get a bunch of paint flakes on your hand", for complete honesty? :D

kleindoofy
2010-Feb-26, 09:57 PM
The fun part about losing the lottery is knowing that your chances of winning were utimately infinitely higher than if you had not played at all.

Van Rijn
2010-Feb-26, 10:15 PM
The fun part about losing the lottery is knowing that your chances of winning were utimately infinitely higher than if you had not played at all.

So, buy one ticket, and never play again. That way, you have a chance of winning, but you aren't losing much either.

Strange
2010-Feb-26, 10:19 PM

On the other hand, I've always thought that, realistically, the odds of winning aren't very different whether you buy a ticket or not.

kleindoofy
2010-Feb-26, 10:23 PM
On the other hand, I've always thought that, realistically, the odds of winning aren't very different whether you buy a ticket or not.
Having only one penny means that you are infinitely richer than if you had no money at all.

But you're still extremely poor.

Ronald Brak
2010-Feb-26, 10:43 PM
I purchased a random number lottery ticket
this morning. They call it "Lucky Dip" which
lucky.

Well, it's certainly lucky for the lotto company that people buy their tickets. Especially when you think about how many people are technically supposed to have been taught about probability in school.

Chuck
2010-Feb-27, 12:24 AM
Once upon a time, a long time ago, one of my coworkers told me what his lucky numbers were. I jokingly said I was going to buy 99 of his number so if he won the main prize he'd get only 1% of the money. He got angry at me. It's hard to believe that he thought I'd actually do it, that he couldn't just pick different numbers, or that he was really expecting to win.

Strange
2010-Feb-27, 12:52 AM
Having only one penny means that you are infinitely richer than if you had no money at all.

But you're still extremely poor.

And having one forty-millionth of a penny is pretty close to having no pennies at all...

BigDon
2010-Feb-27, 02:43 AM
You people are hurting my head.

novaderrik
2010-Feb-27, 03:40 AM
i buy 2 Powerball tickets every week.. quick picks.. i win $3 or $7 from time to time, but understand that ultimately, my odds of coming out ahead are pretty slim. but there is always a chance that i could win the big prize, and the $100 i spend a year on it isn't going to be missed.
i also buy $5 worth of $1 scratch offs from time to time. generally, i will win $1 out of that $5, so i turn that ticket in for another. sometimes, that's the end.. other times, i win more. i once went almost a month on $5 worth of tickets, and a couple of months ago i won $250 on one of the tickets- an amount that probably puts me close to even or maybe even a bit ahead for the year.

peteshimmon
2010-Feb-27, 09:55 PM
Well only one number came up on that ticket
I bought, blank useless blank pantomime! Thats
a pound I will never see again:)

It looks like the term "QuickPick" is a better
description of the method, I think that number
selections known to be never or rarely picked
are farmed out.

One thing I have been curious about is if there
might be "hot" numbers that stay hot. I have
never seen the type of diagram that should
immediately show this. It would be two rows
showing the frequency of each number ranked in
order. The first row would be the results after
half the current number of draws. The second
the up to date results. Line connect the
same numbers in each row. So hot numbers in
the first row should be regressing to the
mean in the middle. And less drawn numbers in
the first row will regress upwards. This would
show any anomalies pretty well.

No one does anything like this I presume.

aurora
2010-Feb-27, 11:50 PM
One thing I have been curious about is if there
might be "hot" numbers that stay hot.

If the selection of each number is truly an independent random event, then the answer would be no.

If there is something wrong with their number selection system, such that the physical method favors some numbers for some reason, or favors a particular pattern, then the answer would be "plausible".

Jim
2010-Feb-28, 01:50 AM
We were living in Baton Rouge when Louisiana started a weekly lottery. After it had been running about six months, a local TV station did a story on how it was being received. One of the people they interviewed was the typical Little Old Lady.

"Do you play regularly?"
"Oh, yes. Each week I buy 5 $1 tickets, then wait for the Saturday drawing."
"Every week?"
"Yes. Well, there was one week when I forgot. I realized it just before the drawing."
"What did you do?"
"Took a five dollar bill, flushed it down the toilet... same effect."

Chuck
2010-Feb-28, 02:03 AM
Years ago I saw a standup comic who had the same idea. He said he just got the state lottery home game, tore a dollar bill in half, and threw it away.