PDA

View Full Version : Horrifying (but not hopeless) places you could wake up in

Paul Beardsley
2010-Feb-26, 10:16 PM
Leaving aside real-life possibilities such as 1940s Auschwitz, or inside a coffin, what's the most terrifying place you could imagine finding yourself in - yet which still carries an element of hope?

The two that spring to my mind are: The Cube (from the film series which began brilliantly but was diminished by its sequels) and the town of Silent Hill (from the game series, but notably Silent Hill 2 - especially the Brookhaven Hospital!).

Any others?

Strange
2010-Feb-26, 10:20 PM
Slough.

kleindoofy
2010-Feb-26, 10:20 PM
In a geo-stationary orbit around the Earth.

Without a space suit.

A short morning, but what a view.

geonuc
2010-Feb-26, 10:21 PM
How about an airliner spiralling down and about to crash. You might survive, and you'll have a few wonderful moments to contemplate your fate.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Feb-26, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, folks, but they're not really replete with possibilities.

Van Rijn
2010-Feb-26, 10:27 PM
Admittedly triggered by a recent story: Being held under water by a whale, which lets you almost get to the surface before it "plays" with you again.

Edit: Oh, it looks like you're looking for examples based on fiction? And I missed the waking up part. As Emily Litella would say, never mind.

swampyankee
2010-Feb-26, 10:28 PM
Bob Jones University

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-26, 10:29 PM
Waking up in a dorms tv room with a garbage can on your lap and not knowing how you got there.
or
Waking up after drinking one night and trying to piece together what happened by all the stories people are telling the next morning.

kleindoofy
2010-Feb-26, 10:33 PM
... yet which still carries an element of hope? ...
Oops, sorry.

In a geo-stationary orbit around the Earth.

With a space suit.

Longer morning, same view. ;)

grant hutchison
2010-Feb-26, 10:40 PM
Hey, I played something like this once with a late friend, when we were teenagers: the hero recovers consciousness in odd circumstances, and must work out a means of escape.
I can recall one of his. The hero awakes in a spacesuit, in free fall. He finds that he is floating inside a large toroidal space habitat, which is rotating in the conventional manner to produce centrifugal gravity. But he is not rotating with it: he floats half a metre above the floor of the habitat's ring corridor, which is rotating past him at lethal relative velocity. The space around him is evidently evacuated, since there is no air drag. But opening off the corridor he can see airlocks and pressurized rooms, all zooming endlessly and repetitively past him.

Grant Hutchison

IsaacKuo
2010-Feb-26, 10:41 PM
Leaving aside real-life possibilities such as 1940s Auschwitz, or inside a coffin, what's the most terrifying place you could imagine finding yourself in - yet which still carries an element of hope?
The "utopian" future of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, based on the music of Wyld Stallyns.

But there's an element of hope. Time machines exist in that world, so I might be able to escape to a more bearable less "utopian" time and place...

BigDon
2010-Feb-26, 10:46 PM
I got coshed once by a big Chinese guy at a club in Singapore. I was glad to wake up period.

Strange
2010-Feb-26, 10:57 PM
In a green hotel room, with a strange creature groaning beside you. Sweat oozes from its shining skin ...

The cermony is about to begin.

kleindoofy
2010-Feb-26, 11:00 PM
"Open the pod bay door please, HAL."

"I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that."

eric_marsh
2010-Feb-27, 12:18 AM
In Alabama.

Sorry, I guess that's a real life possibility.

How about in a medieval torture chamber?

Gillianren
2010-Feb-27, 01:57 AM
In a green hotel room, with a strange creature groaning beside you. Sweat oozes from its shining skin ...

The cermony is about to begin.

Ha, or a greenroom with no idea where it is, how you got there, or what you're supposed to be doing. Less horror, more phobia-inducing.

Chuck
2010-Feb-27, 03:00 AM
In a church, with a creature in a white gown standing beside you. Panic builds. The ceremony is about to begin.

kleindoofy
2010-Feb-27, 03:08 AM
At a U2 concert, chained to a post.

swampyankee
2010-Feb-27, 03:22 AM
I'm not as fussy as kleindoofy; I'd find a rap, punk, or heavy metal concert to be equally horrifying.

I've been in Alabama. It's not so bad.

ABR.
2010-Feb-27, 03:28 AM
My previous job....

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-27, 03:33 AM
A fantasy dungeon, run by a narcissistic, sociopathic, megapowerful wizard that wants to see how long you'll survive (or even if you'll escape!) in the name of twisted science.

Middenrat
2010-Feb-27, 03:39 AM
In a sleeper compartment of a train at night. The view from every window is the same: absolute, velvet black. You walk the corridor from deserted carriage to deserted carriage, endlessly. Gradually you are aware from the rhythm of the clickety-clack that the train is slowing... stopping. It's the end of the line.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-27, 03:40 AM
In a sleeper compartment of a train at night. The view from every window is the same: absolute, velvet black. You walk the corridor from deserted carriage to deserted carriage, endlessly. Gradually you are aware from the rhythm of the clickety-clack that the train is slowing... stopping. It's the end of the line.

Alternatively:

The Phantom Train from Final Fantasy VI. Like all that, but you have ghosts as your fellow passengers, and when it's the End of the Line, you're taken to the Afterlife... but if you're able to defeat the train itself, it might be willing to stop off and let you go. But it might just keep your loved ones...

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-27, 03:55 AM
At a taping of "The View"

Wait a minute, I did that. Please, please don't make me do it again! I never watched the show, but offered to show an out-of-state friend around NYC - she had ordered tickets as a 'surprise' for us. It was the most insipid, vacuous conversation I've ever witnessed by a panel.

SkepticJ
2010-Feb-27, 05:58 AM
Utah.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-27, 06:03 AM
Utah.

I've been in Salt Lake City, Utah. It was a nice place.

mugaliens
2010-Feb-27, 07:56 AM
I can think of all kinds of horrible possibilities!

But I prefer to think on better and brighter things. :)

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-27, 08:33 AM
The world of any computer game ever made.

geonuc
2010-Feb-27, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, folks, but they're not really replete with possibilities.

Suggestions for what, exactly? Are you fishing for storylines?

Strange
2010-Feb-27, 11:52 AM
Ha, or a greenroom with no idea where it is, how you got there, or what you're supposed to be doing. Less horror, more phobia-inducing.

There was the case a while back of a taxi driver who gave a very well known IT consultant a lift to a BBC TV studio to do an interview about some current issue. When the time came, the production assistant led the taxi driver into the studio to be interviewed ... he actually did pretty well.

My previous job....

Now you are giving me nightmares.

Romanus
2010-Feb-27, 12:22 PM
--The Titanic.

--Behind enemy lines.

--In some third world slum.

--Adrift at sea.

--Any utterly barren desert.

--Deep in any rainforest.

Those last two aren't bad places, of course, but with my slender knowledge of survival skills they would indeed be horrifying.

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-27, 12:23 PM
I've been in Salt Lake City, Utah. It was a nice place.

I lived in Salt Lake City, Utah for a few years at the base of the beautiful Wasatch Mountains (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=wasatch+mountains&oq=Wasatch&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=DA2JS5G6KOL08QbqmaWsDw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CA8QsAQwAA)

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-27, 02:29 PM
I lived in Salt Lake City, Utah for a few years at the base of the beautiful Wasatch Mountains (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=wasatch+mountains&oq=Wasatch&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=DA2JS5G6KOL08QbqmaWsDw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CA8QsAQwAA)

Ditto, only a few weeks.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-27, 02:33 PM
The world of any computer game ever made.

You know, in spite of how dark it tends to be, I wouldn't mind being in the world of Shadowrun (think SNES or even Genesis version). Though to be fair, I would actually want to be in the 4th edition of the P&P game, which tends to have higher living standards, less racism, and is overall better (even though shadowrunners still exist, of course, but now they need to be even more skilled to get away with it...)

Technically, we DO live in the world shown in the Total War series, but it's usually in the past, and no one likes living in the past. :)

The world of Psychonauts wouldn't be too terrible, actually. It never seemed to be an absolute hell outside of people's psyche, outside of the one guy trying to steal brains to put in tanks.

eric_marsh
2010-Feb-27, 02:41 PM
Actually, I think that one of the more horrifying places one could wake up in is an H.P. Lovecraft story.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-27, 02:42 PM
Actually, I think that one of the more horrifying places one could wake up in is an H.P. Lovecraft story.

As one of the blissfully ignorant, or as the curious investigator? Big difference there. :D

Moose
2010-Feb-27, 02:47 PM
At a taping of "The View"

Wait a minute, I did that. Please, please don't make me do it again! I never watched the show, but offered to show an out-of-state friend around NYC - she had ordered tickets as a 'surprise' for us. It was the most insipid, vacuous conversation I've ever witnessed by a panel.

Heh. You should see the notoriously bad ones: the ones that make Fark, Digg, and/or Slashdot.

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-27, 02:48 PM
In the stands of a NASCAR race...

Unless, of course, The Onion is right about their merger (http://www.theonion.com/content/radio_news/nasa_nascar_merge_0) with NASA

Moose
2010-Feb-27, 02:52 PM
Waking up conscious but fully paralyzed, in the care of serious Complementary and Alternative "Medicine" practitioners where my designated legal guardian is rubber-stamping anything and everything, at my expense, in my name.

Oh wait. The OP specified not hopeless.

[Edit: I didn't realize until this morning that the Mayo Clinic was pro-sCAM. I'd thought they were reputable.]

swampyankee
2010-Feb-27, 02:56 PM
Something replete with possibilities and horrifying?

Seventh grade.

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-27, 03:13 PM

Seventh grade.

:clap:Well done Swampyankee! :clap:

darkhunter
2010-Feb-27, 03:47 PM

Seventh grade.

You mean no worries except making sure the homework is done? Not having to work a 40+ hour week to get food on the table? No rent? And when I get a job the money is all mine?

BigDon
2010-Feb-27, 04:08 PM
You know, in spite of how dark it tends to be, I wouldn't mind being in the world of Shadowrun (think SNES or even Genesis version). Though to be fair, I would actually want to be in the 4th edition of the P&P game, which tends to have higher living standards, less racism, and is overall better (even though shadowrunners still exist, of course, but now they need to be even more skilled to get away with it...).

Sol! I own (and read) a stack of shadowrun source books taller than I am.

Let's see...the first year of the first of the three VITAS* plagues killed 900 million people in sub-sahara Africa alone. Which esentially de-populated it. There was no idea of the casualties in Eastern Russia and China.

Social upheaval continues with the Night of Rage when the latent magic level rose to another critical level and dormant genes ativated. Human population fragments into several entirely new species. As do several plant and animals species. (mundane and awakened creatures)

Then somebody developes ASSIST technology which smoothly integrates nerve impulses into computer signal and vice versa.

By the end of the third round 6 years later the human/metahuman population was about 2 billion.

Arcologies become popular places to live.

I love reffereeing shadowrun games. One of my favorite gun combat systems.

The only real trouble was integrating a decker in with a real world (?) team. Always with the two different time frames, the decker thinking in computer speeds. Deckers made better and more valuble NPC's

Sol, did you ever get as far as cybermancy**?

*Virally induced toxic allergy syndrome.

**Everybody who doesn't play Shadowrun. The body can only support so much cyberware as most is run by your metabolism. An unmodified human has 6 points of an atribute called "essence" which are spent in the process of having cyberware installed.

There are trade offs and methods of stretching your essence dollar but as you get more machinery you get more machine-like. Most cyberware isn't a whole number loss. But the high ticket items like Wired 3 cost about 2.3 issue. Gives you three times the normal reaction time and speed of a normal human though. (I recommend the "trigger" option as opposed to the "always on" option.)

At 4 or less mundos and arcies get uncomfortable around you even if they don't know why.

2 or less you lose your sex drive.

lose all your essence and you "white out". Die in about two weeks.

The most dangerous street sams prior to the cybermancy rules were the guys in the .01 Club AKA "the cybermonsters" Wired reflexes, dermal plate, enhanced articulation, titatium bone lacing, "eyes" equiped with amps, damps and comps.

Cybermancy allows goverments and corporations (Saeder-Krupt and Ares Macrotech surprise, surprise) to bind the vic..er subjects anima to his body. This lets you just load up the cyberware to absurd levels.

Some of these thing are incredibly dangerous to even high end characters. On the other hand you don't want to be next to one that finally does take a distructive hit and the binding spells unzip.

And I didn't even go into bioware, which can be installed concurrently.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Feb-27, 04:16 PM
Suggestions for what, exactly? Are you fishing for storylines?

Not fishing for storylines, no - I've got more than enough right now! The thing I'm looking for is an imaginary situation someone finds themself in that they recognise.

There's a moment in the otherwise disappointing Cube 2 in which one character finds himself in the Cube and he knows where he is. That's terrifying for anyone who has seen the original film.

I quite like the idea of waking up in The Village (from The Prisoner). Not actually horrifying, but a bit scary when you consider what you could be in for.

And I like the recent suggestions of waking up in an H.P. Lovecraft location - standing on a bridge overlooking the Miskatonic, for instance. In fact I recently played a text adventure game called Anchorhead in which this happens. I got quite a tingling feeling finding myself in a Lovecraft-style story.

Strange
2010-Feb-27, 04:26 PM
The thing I'm looking for is an imaginary situation someone finds themself in that they recognise.

A voice says, "you can open your eyes now," and you find yourself on top of Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square with no obvious way down...

Or, you find yourself on a coach precariously balanced on a cliff edge in, what looks like, the Alps. There is a large amount of gold just out of reach. You find yourself saying "'Ang on lads, I've got an idea...."

Paul Beardsley
2010-Feb-27, 04:28 PM
Or, you find yourself on a coach precariously balanced on a cliff edge in, what looks like, the Alps. There is a large amount of gold just out of reach. You find yourself saying "'Ang on lads, I've got an idea...."

That's the sort of thing I mean.

I probably didn't express myself very clearly...

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-27, 04:29 PM
Sol! I own (and read) a stack of shadowrun source books taller than I am.

Let's see...the first year of the first of the three VITAS* plagues killed 900 million people in sub-sahara Africa alone. Which esentially de-populated it. There was no idea of the casualties in Eastern Russia and China.

Social upheaval continues with the Night of Rage when the latent magic level rose to another critical level and dormant genes ativated. Human population fragments into several entirely new species. As do several plant and animals species. (mundane and awakened creatures)

Then somebody developes ASSIST technology which smoothly integrates nerve impulses into computer signal and vice versa.

By the end of the third round 6 years later the human/metahuman population was about 2 billion.

Arcologies become popular places to live.

I love reffereeing shadowrun games. One of my favorite gun combat systems.

The only real trouble was integrating a decker in with a real world (?) team. Always with the two different time frames, the decker thinking in computer speeds. Deckers made better and more valuble NPC's

Sol, did you ever get as far as cybermancy**?

*Virally induced toxic allergy syndrome.

**Everybody who doesn't play Shadowrun. The body can only support so much cyberware as most is run by your metabolism. An unmodified human has 6 points of an atribute called "essence" which are spent in the process of having cyberware installed.

There are trade offs and methods of stretching your essence dollar but as you get more machinery you get more machine-like. Most cyberware isn't a whole number loss. But the high ticket items like Wired 3 cost about 2.3 issue. Gives you three times the normal reaction time and speed of a normal human though. (I recommend the "trigger" option as opposed to the "always on" option.)

At 4 or less mundos and arcies get uncomfortable around you even if they don't know why.

2 or less you lose your sex drive.

lose all your essence and you "white out". Die in about two weeks.

The most dangerous street sams prior to the cybermancy rules were the guys in the .01 Club AKA "the cybermonsters" Wired reflexes, dermal plate, enhanced articulation, titatium bone lacing, "eyes" equiped with amps, damps and comps.

Cybermancy allows goverments and corporations (Saeder-Krupt and Ares Macrotech surprise, surprise) to bind the vic..er subjects anima to his body. This lets you just load up the cyberware to absurd levels.

Some of these thing are incredibly dangerous to even high end characters. On the other hand you don't want to be next to one that finally does take a distructive hit and the binding spells unzip.

And I didn't even go into bioware, which can be installed concurrently.

Well, that does put it somewhat in perspective. :D

Yes, I know about Cybermancy. Freaky stuff.

Like I said, I'm more thinking 4th edition, which is a bit brighter overall than when the first changes took place. Wireless connections become more popular than wired (yes, this causes security problems, no, I don't know why people thought this was a great idea), and gaming seems more... recreational. Furthermore, people are *expected* to have decks, and usually do, whereas in the older versions technophiles and cyberdecks were rare and far far more expensive!

But yes, there's a lot of dark stuff to the world. This isn't even getting into insect spirits, who tend to propagate, develop a hive mind, and work hard to *infest* people's bodies with their souls...

Or Blood Spirits (who I know less of).

Or the summoning of those twisted evil spirits to give dead bodies a form of immortality (without realizing that the person themself never come back!)

closetgeek
2010-Feb-27, 04:33 PM
A recurring theme in dreams I have is not necessarily waking up, though sometimes it is. It a moment of suddenly becoming aware of an atrocity I've commited, having no memory of it, then trying to deal with the hopelessness of the consequences. The most recent one I had was waking up in a motel room, and being told by a stranger that I had left my infant daughter in the car while I had an affair with him, then running out to get her and the car is gone. The feeling of 'what have I done?" is always the same but the circumstances change.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-27, 04:51 PM
In some of my dreams, I dream that I'm back in high school again, and this time it's even worse. I can't find where the classes are in the maze of hallways (that constantly shift and change, as if to prevent me from ever finding my classes!), and my classmates are worse than they were IRL -- which is saying a lot!

Paul Beardsley
2010-Feb-27, 05:11 PM
A recurring theme in dreams I have is not necessarily waking up, though sometimes it is. It a moment of suddenly becoming aware of an atrocity I've commited, having no memory of it, then trying to deal with the hopelessness of the consequences. The most recent one I had was waking up in a motel room, and being told by a stranger that I had left my infant daughter in the car while I had an affair with him, then running out to get her and the car is gone. The feeling of 'what have I done?" is always the same but the circumstances change.

I get the "what have I done?" dreams quite a lot, although not usually involving the neglect of a child. (I'm not a parent.)

I recently dreamt that two people had had to hide in my locker at work for a short time. In the dream the locker was just big enough for both of them. Then at least two days had passed. I had to get them out as soon as I could, aware that every second would be hell for them. When I eventually got the locker unlocked, I was hugely relieved to find them gone - although, rather oddly, there were now two large gold bars in the locker.

I can't figure the dream out, given that I have not benefited from anybody's suffering of late.

Strange
2010-Feb-27, 06:27 PM
In some of my dreams, I dream that I'm back in high school again, and this time it's even worse. I can't find where the classes are in the maze of hallways (that constantly shift and change, as if to prevent me from ever finding my classes!) ...

You mean your school days weren't like that? I spent all my time at school feeling that everyone else knew somehting I didn't. How come everyone else seemed to turn up on the first day of term with a timetable of their lessons and the rooms they were in while I would be running aroud trying to find which room my classmates were in ...

Gillianren
2010-Feb-27, 08:23 PM
You mean no worries except making sure the homework is done? Not having to work a 40+ hour week to get food on the table? No rent? And when I get a job the money is all mine?

Except no one will hire you, because you're in seventh grade. And honestly, seventh grade was a lot more emotionally grinding than any job I held.

Buttercup
2010-Feb-27, 08:55 PM
I just got out of it and now I'm working on forgetting it!

Drunk Vegan
2010-Feb-27, 09:36 PM
How about waking up in the middle of your own autopsy?

Your muscles are all paralyzed from some sort of drug, and you must fight the effects of the drug quickly and evoke some sort of movement in your body, to show some sign of life.

You have to manage to do so before the medical examiner slices something vital and you become *really* dead.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-27, 09:44 PM
How about waking up in the middle of an operation, paralyzed from the muscle relaxing drug but no longer unconscious or analgesial.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-27, 09:44 PM
How about waking up in the middle of your own autopsy?

Your muscles are all paralyzed from some sort of drug, and you must fight the effects of the drug quickly and evoke some sort of movement in your body, to show some sign of life.

You have to manage to do so before the medical examiner slices something vital and you become *really* dead.

The movie Anatomy went a bit farther. Though there's little chance of escaping that, when the surgeon doesn't mind killing you entirely.

Strange
2010-Feb-27, 10:02 PM
How about waking up in the middle of an operation, paralyzed from the muscle relaxing drug but no longer unconscious or analgesial.

I woke up in the middle of the night once, with the radio still on and this being narrated as a (first person) short story. Very disturbing.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Feb-27, 10:15 PM
I think I know the one. It was one of the Man In Black stories.

Lord Jubjub
2010-Feb-27, 11:43 PM
The people in Hawaii were woken up this morning by blaring sirens. Depending on where you live (and the times) THAT could be horrifying. Consider waking up to sirens during the London Blitz.

Strange
2010-Feb-28, 12:08 AM

That's the fella.

swampyankee
2010-Feb-28, 01:15 AM

Have you ever spent time in a room full of seventh graders?

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-28, 01:22 AM

I help out with a local youth group...it's an interesting age and not one I'd ever want to go back to. No, No, No, please NO!

weatherc
2010-Feb-28, 02:24 AM
In my current life, I don't have anyone that makes a conscious effort to make me feel bad or humiliate me. The same can't be said for my time in seventh grade.

kleindoofy
2010-Feb-28, 02:37 AM
I know this one leaves out the part about hope, but:

Just imagine GLP coming to life, an endless maze of nut jobs. You're caught in the middle of it and have to discuss their theories with them to get to the exit.

But the exit doesn't exist and you don't know that.

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-28, 02:52 AM
I know this one leaves out the part about hope, but:

Just imagine GLP coming to life, an endless maze of nut jobs. You're caught in the middle of it and have to discuss their theories with them to get to the exit.

But the exit doesn't exist and you don't know that.

The sweet, sweet embrace of insanity would hit me before long.

Gillianren
2010-Feb-28, 05:34 AM

There's a Stephen King story about it and an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

Strange
2010-Feb-28, 03:00 PM
That's the sort of thing I mean.

Sounds like you are thinking more of a Quantum Leap type thing, where you find yourself in scenario not knwoing how you got there and not much about where you are....

You find yourself engaged in a fight on the edge of the Reichenbach Falls. Your opponent is tall and athletic. It is clear he intends this to be a fight to the death. Only one of you will be taking the easy route down....

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-28, 03:02 PM
Sounds like you are thinking more of a Quantum Leap type thing, where you find yourself in scenario not knwoing how you got there and not much about where you are....

You find yourself engaged in a fight on the edge of the Reichenbach Falls. Your opponent is tall and athletic. It is clear he intends this to be a fight to the death. Only one of you will be taking the easy route down....

And knowing how Quantum Leap usually works, it's never that simple. For instance, my guess would be that you AREN'T in a fight to the death, there's a TV crew nearby, and you're in the body of a stunt double. You're also supposed to be the one falling.

closetgeek
2010-Feb-28, 03:08 PM
In my current life, I don't have anyone that makes a conscious effort to make me feel bad or humiliate me. The same can't be said for my time in seventh grade.

You don't have any children, do you?

Weird! The thread is about waking to your idea of a worst case scenerio, who woulda thunk being back in school would come up :p

It sort of brings to mind my favorite clip from this movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ema7EsUl1HI)
*warning* has video and sound

Paul Beardsley
2010-Feb-28, 03:10 PM
It wasn't what I had in mind, but it's an interesting direction to take.

I like the camera crew explanation! Sam ruins the scene, the director yells "Cut!" and as Sam finds his bearings he learns that the script editor is an Indian woman being forced into an arranged marriage - nothing whatsoever to do with the Sherlock Holmes film being made. Sam has to convince the families concerned that Western values are best!

Strange
2010-Feb-28, 03:28 PM
And knowing how Quantum Leap usually works, it's never that simple. For instance, my guess would be that you AREN'T in a fight to the death, there's a TV crew nearby, and you're in the body of a stunt double. You're also supposed to be the one falling.

Hmmm.... I was thinking more of the ambiguity of not knowing if you are the hero (and hence about to die [or not]) or the villain and hence surive but be Evil (bwahaha).

(I don't really know how QL works)

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-28, 03:41 PM
Hmmm.... I was thinking more of the ambiguity of not knowing if you are the hero (and hence about to die [or not]) or the villain and hence surive but be Evil (bwahaha).

(I don't really know how QL works)

Quantum Leap depends on the episode, but usually Sam isn't put into a place where he'll do harm to a good person. God/Time/The Universe/Whatever wouldn't force that on him, and that's what's pulling the strings. (Though it's not like it hasn't come close...!)

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-28, 03:42 PM
I like the camera crew explanation! Sam ruins the scene, the director yells "Cut!" and as Sam finds his bearings he learns that the script editor is an Indian woman being forced into an arranged marriage - nothing whatsoever to do with the Sherlock Holmes film being made. Sam has to convince the families concerned that Western values are best!

LOL. :D

That is 100% Quantum Leap.

darkhunter
2010-Feb-28, 04:04 PM

The way i read the OP is that its the current you that wakes up in the situation. Seventh grade was not-good from the perspective of a seventh grader, especially being the outcast nerd I was and still am.

However, the peson waking up in the situation is the current me, with decades of real life experience under his belt. The current me who is comfortable being the loner, knows that what the kids around say don't matter. And if it gets to the point of physical confrontation, decades of experience packaged in a much healthier body than I now have....

Jobs are where you find or make them. From the seventh grade onwards I worked summers in a scout camp on staff, and did odd one-off jobs here and there. When the transported me gets to the point where he can get a "real" job, once more the decades of experience will come into play...

Theres also all the mistakes made the first time around that won't happen again...

Moose
2010-Feb-28, 08:15 PM
Mmm. Yeah, I wouldn't mind starting over if I could retain what I now know.

Strange
2010-Feb-28, 08:22 PM

But sticking with the "horrifying" aspect of the OP, what if you retained what you know now, but were (somehow) unable to act on it, so things go just as badly as first time round. When you do try and "take control" it just makes things even worse...

GalaxyGal
2010-Feb-28, 08:24 PM
Theres also all the mistakes made the first time around that won't happen again...

I see your point, but from what I see and hear from the kids themselves, I think it's even more difficult to be a seventh grader now. That kind of "Freaky Friday" would still be unnerving....but you have introduced the element of 'hope'

Gillianren
2010-Feb-28, 08:26 PM
In The Last Continent, it's suggested that you can't know then what you know now. If you are de-aged, your brain will not retain the knowledge of being older than your current body. You can't remember being sixteen when you aren't fifteen yet.

Moose
2010-Feb-28, 08:48 PM
It makes sense, Gillian, if you revert physically, that means your neurology reverts too. Still...

Henna, I'm not actually sure how much I'd want to actually change. Not all of it was bad. But knowing as a teen that I'm OCD and am going to obsess over regrets that simply aren't worth obsessing over would have helped take a lot of stress out of my earlier life. Heck, just knowing enough to make the most of the good parts while they lasted would count big.

kleindoofy
2010-Feb-28, 09:05 PM
Am I the only one here who enjoyed 7th grade?

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Feb-28, 09:10 PM
Must be. I really did like the seventh grade myself. That years is when I change schools from elementary to middle. My nerves so bad I was sick a lot.

grant hutchison
2010-Feb-28, 10:20 PM
Am I the only one here who enjoyed 7th grade?That's about 12-13 years old, yes?
We finally stopped fiddling around and started learning interesting stuff. What's not to like?

Grant Hutchison

Gillianren
2010-Feb-28, 10:39 PM
We finally stopped fiddling around and started learning interesting stuff. What's not to like?

Do you want the list?

Actually, if the series of events I have in my head is correct, seventh grade is the year I received my diagnosis of what was at the time called manic depression, which was a great relief. However, we didn't learn much that was interesting, though orchestra was a joy, and dealing with some of the other kids was frankly torture.

Tobin Dax
2010-Feb-28, 10:44 PM
I liked it for a few months, up until we moved. I really didn't fit in with any of the 20 or so classmates I had (in both 7th and 8th grade, in the same classroom) at all.

Chuck
2010-Feb-28, 11:24 PM
It was in the 7th grade that they decided I should learn French. I showed them the error of their ways.

Van Rijn
2010-Mar-01, 12:05 AM

I don't have good memories of seventh or eighth grade. I was out most of the first semester of seventh grade with mononucleosis, and the district sent an instructor to my house. In a way, that was interesting: I rarely felt like I was fully awake, so that entire time has a bit of a dreamlike quality in my memories. On the other hand, it was extremely boring.

After I got over that and went back to school, I came down with bronchitis, and was out another month. It was hard to get back into school in the second semester, especially anything phys. ed. related, since I was out of shape. There were some kids at the school I didn't get along with at all, and being badly out of shape didn't help (made me look more like a target, for one thing).

I don't have good memories of eighth grade either, and at the end of eighth grade my father died. I wouldn't want to relive those years, though I wouldn't mind a second shot, given what I know now, in high school. High school was a much better environment, and I was much healthier.

LookingSkyward
2010-Mar-01, 12:18 AM
OK, time for a submarine story.
You’re the new guy. You’ve been awake for like 30 hours, and finally get to go to bed. About 15 minutes after you start snoring (we timed this pretty carefully), a guy in full anti-contamination gear and a breath mask rips open the curtain on you bunk and yells back over his shoulder “Hey! I think I found a live one!”

mugaliens
2010-Mar-01, 09:43 AM
Waking up in a hospital to find yourself surrounded by doctors and nurses...

...all wearing masks, and on their nametages are the usernames of various members of BAUT.

I believe the correct term for this is "Obimahwamagassermehwa!" although this varies from person to person, even from incident to incident.

GalaxyGal
2010-Mar-01, 12:43 PM

...all wearing masks, and on their nametages are the usernames of various members of BAUT.

...or the nametag reads Charles Cullen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Cullen) who introduces himself and says "Hi, I'm here to start your IV."

closetgeek
2010-Mar-01, 01:07 PM

Really? I knew way more back then :confused:

Paul Beardsley
2010-Mar-01, 04:42 PM

Wow, that would be eerie!

Especially if it included certain members who didn't stay. Certain members whom you would not trust to operate machinery...

mike alexander
2010-Mar-01, 05:30 PM
Being awakened in the future by Ray Kurtzweil to be told the Singularity has arrived.

Except it's someone else's Singularity.