PDA

View Full Version : Extraterrestrial signal

John Kierein
2004-Mar-07, 09:31 AM
Today's APOD shows a SETI signal with a doppler shift intermediate between a low earth orbit signal and a GEO satellite doppler. I strongly think it is a doppler for a MEO satellite which is where the GPS are. Could be somebody doing differential GPS somewhere. I strongly doubt it's really an ETI signal. I wish APOD had given more details on when the signal was detected.

tracer
2004-Mar-07, 04:00 PM
Um ... how does the distance from the source make any difference in the doppler shift? (I mean, sure, an LEO satellite is travelling much faster than a GEO satellite, but if it's directly overhead at the time the signal is received the doppler shift should be 0.)

Ian Goddard
2004-Mar-07, 05:27 PM
Today's APOD shows a SETI signal with a doppler shift intermediate between a low earth orbit signal and a GEO satellite doppler. I strongly think it is a doppler for a MEO satellite which is where the GPS are. Could be somebody doing differential GPS somewhere. I strongly doubt it's really an ETI signal. I wish APOD had given more details on when the signal was detected.
Here's the missing link: :wink:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040307.html

Manchurian Taikonaut
2004-Mar-07, 08:42 PM
This is scary, what if aliens are more powerful than us?

Don't you think SETI would publish this information if they found a real signal from another world. I thinks its just an earth signal, not ET :lol:

snabald
2004-Mar-07, 08:56 PM
It is obviously a signal from the Grand Gorphmonger of the Galactic Republic Of United Planets (or G.R.O.U.P.) telling us to prepare to be attacked and annexed in the name of the Gorphmonger's daughter Princess Phenophelaxiphine.

She will become the effective ruler of all of Earth and the Moon on or about March 10th 2004.

We will all be required to bow down and sing her praises each day upon awaking and eat grub worms to show our loyalty. We must also all be sure to own at least one gray kitten and teach it to walk upright in her honor.

Either that or it is doppler for a MEO satellite, the two signals are very similar.

Maksutov
2004-Mar-08, 12:34 PM
It is obviously a signal from the Grand Gorphmonger of the Galactic Republic Of United Planets (or G.R.O.U.P.) telling us to prepare to be attacked and annexed in the name of the Gorphmonger's daughter Princess Phenophelaxiphine.

She will become the effective ruler of all of Earth and the Moon on or about March 10th 2004.

We will all be required to bow down and sing her praises each day upon awaking and eat grub worms to show our loyalty. We must also all be sure to own at least one gray kitten and teach it to walk upright in her honor.

Either that or it is doppler for a MEO satellite, the two signals are very similar.

Thank you for that information.

Here, kitty, kitty, kitty.....