PDA

View Full Version : March 10, 2004

johnisevil
2004-Mar-08, 08:32 AM
Any idea what the idiots over at GLP are talking about? Apparently someone knows about some big announcement to do with the Hubble telescope and the "truth" will be out on this date. Basically what I'm asking is if there is anyone that can interpret language of the insane. :)

Hoser
2004-Mar-08, 11:34 AM
Supposedly John, several people were watching an interview on CNN with a scientist who stated that a photo from Hubble "will make the front page of every newspaper in the world on March 9th", and then the interview was cut off.

I have found nothing to substantial this claim, and take it with a huge pinch of salt. :^o [/i]

Amadeus
2004-Mar-08, 12:45 PM
Just had a look at GLP (I feel so dirty now)
Looks like they're not buying it.

To save anyone the trouble of looking for it heres the gist.

On March 10 2004 at 1715h GMT theres ment to be some "big" annoucement from Zurich of an event that would have "global implications of a dire and catastrophic nature"

Dont hold your breath people

Isotelesis
2004-Mar-08, 01:02 PM
Here's a clue:
As NASA administration winds down the Hubble Space Telescope after fourteen years of service, it goes out with a bang, literally. On March 9th, NASA will unveil the long-awaited deepest-ever view of the universe, deeper even then the "Hubble Deep Field;" an "Ultra Deep Field" that looks back almost to the Big Bang.

gethen
2004-Mar-08, 02:43 PM
Also, look here. (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=217224#217224)

Amadeus
2004-Mar-08, 02:55 PM
Supposedly John, several people were watching an interview on CNN with a scientist who stated that a photo from Hubble "will make the front page of every newspaper in the world on March 9th", and then the interview was cut off.

I have found nothing to substantial this claim, and take it with a huge pinch of salt. :^o [/i]

If it is the oldest know pictures of the universe I doubt it will make front page of every paper in the world. It would be lucky to get a few colum inches on page 6. This is sad but true.

ToSeek
2004-Mar-08, 02:58 PM
I bet it makes the front of the Washington Post, but the Post has been doing pretty well by science of late - probably better than most papers.

LTC8K6
2004-Mar-08, 04:22 PM
Then when there is no big announcement, they can say NASA supressed it.

Sammy
2004-Mar-08, 06:05 PM
Then when there is no big announcement, they can say NASA supressed it.

Part of the GLP world-view RE the government and catastrophes--heads I win, tails you lose....

johnisevil
2004-Mar-08, 06:30 PM
The funny thing about this is most of the people at GLP believe that NASA is part of the grand Planet X conspiracy. So all of a sudden they're willing to believe them because in their minds, it just may validate their theories. I find it funny how these people go from thinking NASA is trash to thinking they're the saviours.

digitalspector
2004-Mar-09, 07:59 PM
well here is the "HUGE, earth shattering" announcement. (unless there is another one do out today..... :roll: )

Hubble finds the farthest galaxies.... (http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/03/09/hubble.farthest/index.html)

Gee, who'da thunk it.

Sammy
2004-Mar-09, 08:12 PM
well here is the "HUGE, earth shattering" announcement. (unless there is another one do out today..... :roll: )

Hubble finds the farthest galaxies.... (http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/03/09/hubble.farthest/index.html)

Gee, who'da thunk it.

Probably a government-created hologram :P

BAroxMysox
2004-Mar-09, 08:48 PM
This all turned out to be a joke (surprise, surprise) The person that started it admitted to lying, and one of the people who fell for it, that was supposedly on the inside was ranting about it. So it's all a bust, unless you want to be like the others over there and think "she admits it, there must be something more to it...." I guess since that passed, they worried about Jupiter igniting, becoming a second sun. That's possibly even being spread by the same person as the March 10 story.

Maha Vailo
2004-Mar-09, 09:59 PM
I saw the Hubble pic on Yahoo. Totally awesome. Makes you feel all small, doesn't it?

To paraphrase the Bad Astronomer, the universe is fascinating enough without having to resort to using crap to explain it.

- Maha "not sure whether to congratulate or insult the prankster in the OP" Vailo

Archer17
2004-Mar-09, 10:44 PM
This all turned out to be a joke (surprise, surprise) The person that started it admitted to lying, and one of the people who fell for it, that was supposedly on the inside was ranting about it. So it's all a bust, unless you want to be like the others over there and think "she admits it, there must be something more to it...." I guess since that passed, they worried about Jupiter igniting, becoming a second sun. That's possibly even being spread by the same person as the March 10 story.You would think after a while a credibility issue would develop over there regarding the "Klaxon" (http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame74.html) types. This is the second time in the last 6 months or so that Jupiter is supposed to ignite. :roll:

digitalspector
2004-Mar-09, 11:49 PM
hehe I still can't get enough of that site.

LOL, still rolls me.

It wasn't just Jupiter becoming a second sun, they were also rumors of a comet that was supposed to pass by earth at close proximity.

BAroxMysox
2004-Mar-10, 12:37 AM
hehe I still can't get enough of that site.

lol, neither can I. But after this trainwreck, I think I've just about had my fill. I saw that about the comets. I had no idea how close they were coming, so I went and checked out the numbers for myself (still curious on the nucleus size for each, if anyone happens to know). Even though they're still 40-50 million miles out at the closest, I guess they're concerned about them passing some sort of electricity between each other and through our planet. Either that or causing mental short curcuiting worldwide. Still unsure about how that works, but if someone named chicken sh*t on GLP says it's so, I'm sure it's so. :roll:

BAroxMysox
2004-Mar-10, 12:46 AM
By the way, does anyone know what is going on with Jupiter? It looks and sounds quite interesting. I read it's something they've never seen before. Could there be some changes on Jupiter in the future? Besides exploding or igniting. :P Any theories?

digitalspector
2004-Mar-10, 03:21 AM
Weird storm? Images taken with a ccd.

Prolly just another day for the jupitarians...

Archer17
2004-Mar-10, 09:12 PM
By the way, does anyone know what is going on with Jupiter? It looks and sounds quite interesting. I read it's something they've never seen before. Could there be some changes on Jupiter in the future? Besides exploding or igniting. :P Any theories?You're probably talking about the "blue band" we discussed last week here (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11727). Much ado about nothing if you ask me but I'm sure it's getting a lot of coverage on the fringe sites. Heck .. the only reason the woowoo's aren't freaking about the Great Red Spot is because it's been there for awhile! :-? I wouldn't be surprised if Saturn is next, especially after this (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/xray_saturn_040308.html) story in space.com regarding [key scary music] higher than expected X-ray reflection in it's equatorial region. It's a case of revising current theories more than anything ominous but I wouldn't exactly be shocked if the woowoos don't see it that way. :wink:

NightHawk
2004-Mar-10, 09:28 PM
Nancy has already said that the Blue Bands on Jupiter (http://www.zetatalk.com/index/zeta75.htm) are being caused by PX. :o

I give it about 3 days and the X-ray reflections from Saturn will be caused by PX also :roll:

NCC-1701
2004-Mar-10, 09:48 PM
The blue bands are NOT caused by PX, but .... maybe ... "something wonderful" is about to happen! :o

BAroxMysox
2004-Mar-10, 10:00 PM
Nancy has already said that the Blue Bands on Jupiter are being caused by PX. Yeah, she jumped on the bandwagon a little late though. It was on GLP for a couple days (while everyone there started panicking) before she grabbed it, I think. The pictures are very cool, though. Would be interesting if it turned out to be more than a storm though. Maybe something amazing.

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Mar-11, 05:32 AM
I wanna see the Big Blue Band get entwined with the Great Red Spot, and then observe the result, the Penultimate Purple Pentacle...

That Deep Field Hubble shot is now my desktop...still eyeballing it close up, checking out all the different configurations of galaxies...

Tensor
2004-Mar-11, 04:19 PM
Just had a look at GLP (I feel so dirty now)
Looks like they're not buying it.

To save anyone the trouble of looking for it heres the gist.

On March 10 2004 at 1715h GMT theres ment to be some "big" annoucement from Zurich of an event that would have "global implications of a dire and catastrophic nature"

Dont hold your breath people

Just to point something out. At 1845 GMT on March 10, 2004, it was announced from Oxford, Great Britian that the Higgs Boson (aka as the "God Particle") may have been detected (it's weak evidence, but it was announced) in Geneva. I'm not sure how that would be dire and catastrophic, but it's an interesting coincidence. (no I'm not going woo-woo)

Sigma_Orionis
2004-Mar-11, 04:34 PM
Just to point something out. At 1845 GMT on March 10, 2004, it was announced from Oxford, Great Britian that the Higgs Boson (aka as the "God Particle") may have been detected (it's weak evidence, but it was announced) in Geneva. I'm not sure how that would be dire and catastrophic, but it's an interesting coincidence. (no I'm not going woo-woo)

Definetly a lot more interesting than PX and Jupiter turning into a star because of Galileo!

Maksutov
2004-Mar-11, 09:27 PM
I wanna see the Big Blue Band get entwined with the Great Red Spot, and then observe the result, the Penultimate Purple Pentacle...

That Deep Field Hubble shot is now my desktop...still eyeballing it close up, checking out all the different configurations of galaxies...

If a manned mission to Jupiter somehow got swallowed up by the Penultimate Purple Pentacle, which by then had assumed the features and proportions of a terrestrial hurricane, but floating many thousands of miles above Jupiter's "surface", and in deference to new-age types at JPL, had been renamed the "Unicorn Spot"...would that make it...

A One-eyed, One-horned Flying Purple People Eater?

:roll:

Tensor
2004-Mar-12, 04:16 AM

:D Methinks you're showing your age with this one. Of course, I'm probably showing mine by pointing it out. :wink:

JohnOwens
2004-Mar-12, 04:22 AM

:D Methinks you're showing your age with this one. Of course, I'm probably showing mine by pointing it out. :wink:

Well, it was used in the movie Contact, after all. There's an excuse for the younger crowd knowing it.

But yeah, I knew it about two decades before the movie.

Tensor
2004-Mar-12, 05:28 AM
Well, it was used in the movie Contact, after all. There's an excuse for the younger crowd knowing it.

But yeah, I knew it about two decades before the movie.

#-o doh, I forgot about that.

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Mar-12, 09:18 AM

If a manned mission to Jupiter somehow got swallowed up by the Penultimate Purple Pentacle, which by then had assumed the features and proportions of a terrestrial hurricane, but floating many thousands of miles above Jupiter's "surface", and in deference to new-age types at JPL, had been renamed the "Unicorn Spot"...would that make it...

Someone is coming very soon.
You'll be happy to see
Those nice young men
In their clean white coats.

Remain clam.
:o

btimsah1
2004-May-02, 12:05 AM
Actually I saw that CNN broadcast.. The scientist did say that Hubble will release images that will be everywhere. Or something to that effect, only thing is it never happened. Not sure why he would think the oldest galaxy would be broadcast everywhere, not that big a deal. Hell, water on mar's only got a day in the spotlight.

Also, you can't blame paranoid people for being paranoid about NASA. They can be very secretive at times. They seem to have a horrible time with keeping the lid on things and pissing off the public.

I believe NASA probably has information on alien life that they have been hiding, and still are. Inevitably people ask, if NASA hid it then why don't former employee's or current ones speak out? The answer is, they have spoken out. No one believes or listens to them. Blah blah, yada yada..

-Robby

The Bad Astronomer
2004-May-02, 01:09 AM
Also, you can't blame paranoid people for being paranoid about NASA. They can be very secretive at times. They seem to have a horrible time with keeping the lid on things and pissing off the public.

Secretive about what, exactly? They have held some results secret until they are released at a press conference, but that's standard for everyone.

I believe NASA probably has information on alien life that they have been hiding, and still are.

On what evidence do you base that assertion? That's a mighty big leap of faith.

ToSeek
2004-May-02, 01:51 AM
Secretive about what, exactly?

Secretive about all that stuff they haven't told us about. Duh!

;)

WolfKC
2004-May-02, 04:05 AM
Secretive about what, exactly?
Secretive about all that stuff they haven't told us about. Duh!
;)Yeah, you know. The big list of NASA secrets that we debunkers are always trying to hide from the general public. The list of secrets we recieved with our official debunker rings.
http://www.chipman.org/starhoax/ring.jpg
#-o :^o :roll: :P :lol:

BAroxMysox
2004-May-02, 05:31 AM
Considering what all this stuff turned out to be, I seriously doubt NASA is hiding a thing. I don't know if anything was released or not, but whatever it was, it had nothing to do with what was going at GLP or any number of conspiracies/cover-ups.

It actually turned out to be one of the people getting their PhD, and keeping it a secret to play with everyones mind over there.

btimsah1
2004-May-02, 07:51 AM
#1. Eye witness testimony from credible witnesses who worked either at NASA or the NSA. Or in the Military and heard the NASA Communications link on the Apollo missions.

#2. Eye witness claims of people and news organizations showing an astronaut speaking about a flashing light while out in space. The conversation is on T.V. and then they cut the feed and go to a narrator. Other similar incidences have been documented.

#3. The many STS unexplained UFO video's, and the fact that NASA always say's their natural or unexplained. Has NASA every said, something COULD be alien? No, because they seem so hell bent against such findings. All of this is what makes us WOO-WOO'S so paranoid towards NASA.

If a saucer shaped disk wobles up to the space shuttle and they get it on camera and the astroanauts see it, then it zips off into outerspace - could NASA conclude that their is intelligent life? From what I've seen, I don't think they would.
At this time I think they would either cover it up completely, or just call it unknown.

-Robby

Archer17
2004-May-02, 08:28 AM
#1. Eye witness testimony from credible witnesses who worked either at NASA or the NSA. Or in the Military and heard the NASA Communications link on the Apollo missions.That's alot of organizations .. care to enlighten us? Tell us about these "credible witnesses." Who in NASA, the NSA, or "military." Give us some specifics.
#2. Eye witness claims of people and news organizations showing an astronaut speaking about a flashing light while out in space. The conversation is on T.V. and then they cut the feed and go to a narrator. Other similar incidences have been documented.See above .. what incidents are you talking about? Provide citations of these documentations.
#3. The many STS unexplained UFO video's, and the fact that NASA always say's their natural or unexplained. Has NASA every said, something COULD be alien? No, because they seem so hell bent against such findings. All of this is what makes us WOO-WOO'S so paranoid towards NASA..Again, what unexplained UFO videos? I don't recall NASA ever admitting to an "unexplained" UFO video. It's easy to say NASA is hiding something but, seriously, if they were, how would anyone know? What's your secret? :wink:
..If a saucer shaped disk wobles up to the space shuttle and they get it on camera and the astroanauts see it, then it zips off into outerspace - could NASA conclude that their is intelligent life? From what I've seen, I don't think they would.
At this time I think they would either cover it up completely, or just call it unknown.Have you seen a saucer shaped disk wooble up to the shuttle? If so, share it with us. This is more strawman than space man.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions btimsah .. your flaw is you add unsubstantiated bullcrap to yours and try to sell it as fact. You're welcome to keep trying, just don't expect me to take what you're shoveling seriously any time soon.

Maksutov
2004-May-02, 09:10 AM
#1. Eye witness testimony from credible witnesses who worked either at NASA or the NSA. Or in the Military and heard the NASA Communications link on the Apollo missions.

#2. Eye witness claims of people and news organizations showing an astronaut speaking about a flashing light while out in space. The conversation is on T.V. and then they cut the feed and go to a narrator. Other similar incidences have been documented.

Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future. You are interested in the unknown, the mysterious, the unexplainable. That is why you are here. And now, for the first time, we are bringing to you the full story of what happened on that fateful day. We are giving you all the evidence, based only on the secret testimonies of the miserable souls who survived this terrifying ordeal. The incidents, the places, my friend we cannot keep this a secret any longer. Let us punish the guilty, let us reward the innocent. My friend, can your heart stand the shocking facts about grave robbers from outer space?

:wink:

Tranquility
2004-May-02, 05:54 PM
WolfKC, that was hilarious :D