PDA

View Full Version : Higgs Boson/Field and E=mc^2

mmaayeh
2010-Mar-04, 12:04 PM
I have been listening to some nice podcasts from the CERN site. And, I had some questions about the Higgs Boson & Field and how this relates or how to view E=mc^2 in light of this theory?

I understand that the Higgs boson is responsible for the mass given to a particle and itself will have mass. Also, the field theory of the Higgs Field will imbue mass to a particle. However, I remember from my old days in College physics that in the relationship of E=mc^2 that energy and mass at the quantum level is interchangeable (energy is directly proportional to mass and the c^2 is the constant in that relationship). So, in the end, is energy being given to a particle by a Higgs boson? Or, what is a good way to look at the two concepts in this context?

And, if anyone is interested to discuss further concepts what else can we learn if the Higgs boson should be discovered by the LHC at CERN?

DrRocket
2010-Mar-04, 07:41 PM
I have been listening to some nice podcasts from the CERN site. And, I had some questions about the Higgs Boson & Field and how this relates or how to view E=mc^2 in light of this theory?

I understand that the Higgs boson is responsible for the mass given to a particle and itself will have mass. Also, the field theory of the Higgs Field will imbue mass to a particle. However, I remember from my old days in College physics that in the relationship of E=mc^2 that energy and mass at the quantum level is interchangeable (energy is directly proportional to mass and the c^2 is the constant in that relationship). So, in the end, is energy being given to a particle by a Higgs boson? Or, what is a good way to look at the two concepts in this context?

And, if anyone is interested to discuss further concepts what else can we learn if the Higgs boson should be discovered by the LHC at CERN?

All elementary particles have energy/are energy.

Some have rest mass and some do not.

The Higgs mechanism is an explanation in terms of the theory of the Standard Modelof particle physics for why certain particles have rest mass, that one might expect to have none.

So, in this case it is not really that the Higgs boson gives energy to the particles in the sense that you seem to be considering.

However, your notion that energy and mass are different aspects of the same thing is right on target.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_mechanism