PDA

View Full Version : Graphing the likelihood of planets orbiting doubles

astromark
2010-Mar-06, 07:26 AM
Split from here: http://www.bautforum.com/space-astronomy-questions-answers/101620-binary-systems-orbital-trigonometry-question.html

Edg; I can not help with the,c(1+sin.ep)---. This is interesting and, I understand your diagrams but, I am not able to answer your question. As my basic computing power is not up to it... I do have a question which you obviously will be able to help me with.. Can we plot a graph of the likely hood of planets orbiting doubles ?
I just think that solar mass objects orbiting would push other orbiting bodies much further out...
I understood that each star might have close in and stable orbiting terrestrial type planets. The larger gas giants might not be able to exist in that region of what looks like a shaky option.
You ask of heat ranges where I would guess that the greater distances for a stable orbital path would leave the planets very much in the cold...
I obviously have a shallow knowledge of this aspect so any help will be great. thanks Mark.

astromark
2010-Mar-06, 06:31 PM
My understanding and ability to impart it on others is at issue here...
That we know many stars are doubles or multiple systems is understood.
What I want is some conclusion that planetary systems are the 'Normal' ...
Is this a reasonable conclusion ?
That being a possible conclusion leeds me to ask ?
Are close in unaffected by the other star planets common ?
Or should I expect to find Planets orbiting both or multiples ?

Cougar
2010-Mar-07, 03:34 AM
Can we plot a graph of the likely hood of planets orbiting doubles ?

Well, there is certainly more than one quasi-stable configuration. And when you start making one star of the binary 5 or 10 times the mass of the other, and the planet might orbit one or the other of the stars, or both, then your possibilities would seem to increase.

Of course, we have a fair idea how planetary systems are formed, so the spin of the gas cloud from which one or the other binary formed (or both) would have to be fortuitously oriented.

I recall playing with one system where the planet orbited one of the binary for a year, then was pulled into orbit around the other star for a while, then swapped again. This did not appear to be a stable configuration. :cry: Unless you had planetary thrusters. :)

astromark
2010-Mar-07, 05:39 AM
Lol:)...having trouble with planetary thrusters :eh:...
So would you go so far as to agree with my unqualified assumption,. That we are almost bound to find many planets more as our ability to do so is honed.