PDA

View Full Version : Is there a G-mail "account recovery" scam going on?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2010-Mar-08, 11:56 AM
Got an email on another account asking me for my password. When I tride logging in everything worked fine. Is this phishing?

chrissy
2010-Mar-08, 01:32 PM
I have had something similar happen to me, I get a few e-mails through my yahoo e-mail account I don't use asking me for information and password for facebook, I know I don't get anything through that account "my spam and phishing trap" as it always goes through my other account/e-mail address I regularly use.

It sounds to me like you have a phishing scam going on so be very aware of what information you hand out if anything. Plenty of people would fall for this and end up with their personal details stolen this includes bank account details (those who use the internet banking system) etc. Identity fraud is a big thing world wide.

Moose
2010-Mar-08, 01:35 PM
Got an email on another account asking me for my password. When I tride logging in everything worked fine. Is this phishing?

Long answer: Yes, it's phishing.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-08, 02:19 PM
Long answer: Yes, it's phishing.
And they now have your password.

Hungry4info
2010-Mar-08, 02:25 PM
She didn't say she gave it to them.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2010-Mar-08, 02:27 PM
And they now have your password.

no they don't- never replied to the email

I'm not a she btw- that's my aunt in the picture- she died quite young- I thought it would be nice to have her pic. out there

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-08, 02:34 PM
When I tride logging in everything worked fine.
I read this as trying to log in as per the e-mails instructions, rather than from your normal bookmark.

jokergirl
2010-Mar-08, 02:41 PM
Quite probably. Don't click any links in weird mails.

pantaz
2010-Mar-08, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I've encountered several phishing attempts for G-Mail, Paypal, my bank, etc., simply because I use various e-mail accounts for different purposes. (Besides the fact that many of the phishing attempts are so obvious.)
For example, I know that mail supposedly from my bank sent to anyplace except my "A" e-mail is automatically fraudulent.
It's also rather obvious when the same message from "my bank" appears in three different in-boxes.

Argos
2010-Mar-08, 08:34 PM
Ive got one of those. As said above, do not click any link.