PDA

View Full Version : I Seem To Have Created The World's Ugliest Lava Lamp.

BigDon
2010-Mar-08, 04:50 PM
I bought an nice model but it was so old the juice had clouded up.

So I popped th the cap and made up a batch of brine and slowly adjusted the specific gravity of the lamp water and tweaked the surface tension with soap over a period of six hours.

and on the very last adjustment I used the wrong spoon to stir the last bit of salt water and introduced God knows what. Might be traces of milk. Looks like a lizard shed in it. Bad words may have been uttered.

So now the lamp bubbles and performs like expected but none of the bubbles are spherical. They melt and re-coalesce on contact like normal but are all these weird shapes that seem to voilate fluid dynamics, at least as far as I know them. Kidney, cubic, dumbell and sorta spermy shapes are common. Along with balloon shaped ones that have thick tails that hang straight down.

I'm going to run the weirdness for several more hours to see if getting it completely hot changes the shapes.

Afterwards I plan on letting it cool completely then popping the top again and filtering the juice through a coffee filter and then returning it. I'll see if it retains the odd shapes generating capability.

Swift
2010-Mar-08, 05:59 PM
http://www.booktalks.org/forums/images/smilies/worthless.gif
Actually, it sounds rather neat.

hhEb09'1
2010-Mar-08, 06:04 PM
I smell patent!

that, or fish

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Mar-08, 08:10 PM
I want pictures.

BigDon
2010-Mar-08, 09:20 PM
Well. I haven't messed with it yet, just let it cool off. The juice does need replacing but I'll hold off until I get some pictures.

(I'm just busy today. Cable guy is coming today to hook me up with a THOUSAND channels of TV. I've never had a thousand channels of tv before.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Mar-08, 09:23 PM
Last November my mother signed us up for satellite tv. I end up watching House,
Bones and NCIS most nights.

NEOWatcher
2010-Mar-08, 09:24 PM
(I'm just busy today. Cable guy is coming today to hook me up with a THOUSAND channels of TV. I've never had a thousand channels of tv before.
No big deal. I keep getting more channels, but I tend to stomach fewer.

mike alexander
2010-Mar-08, 09:34 PM
Land of 1,000 Channels:

I say:Nna, nananana, nanananana-na-na-na-na-na

Nana-nana!

showboat
2010-Mar-08, 10:36 PM
Well cooking oil with chlorax bleach and rubbing alcohol and salt and water.,
seperates out to a waxy style which is more intersting than the the bubble type after along time, when bought at a flea market[old time]

the cooking oil has several seperate oils.

So didn't work but give a try.

I think transmission fluid would be a better and tweak it for a the hippie lamp as no oil seperation problems.

Only for car mechanics that want to experiment and creat lava lights as alot of transmission fluid.

showboat
2010-Mar-09, 01:48 AM
tryed using various types of powdered brass as a seperation from the crafts place expensive, but the oils always break down and seperate.

The old just the oil [some type of oxidation which must have been heat became wax on the outside as a what they call a old one but somewhat intersting as a natural wax sculpture.

Sort of looks like coral[fractal]

mugaliens
2010-Mar-10, 09:43 AM
Milk? Sounds like you stumbled across a new and interesting variation on the (very) old, tried and true prop of Larry the Lounge Lizard.

rommel543
2010-Mar-10, 07:52 PM
I would really like to see this. The last experience that I had with a lava lamp was at a buddy's place and someone poured 1/2 a beer into it along with a couple of maraschino cherries and something that looked like glitter. Needless to say the lamp didn't live long after that.