PDA

View Full Version : Newest Form of Distracted Driving

publius
2010-Mar-09, 03:13 AM
You gotta see this to believe it:

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/816428-crash-caused-by-driver-shaving-bikini-line

This woman was, uh, shaving while driving. She was grooming up to see her boyfriend. Her ex-husband was in the car with her and held the wheel while she did this.

Wow.

-Richard

Provence
2010-Mar-09, 03:15 AM
What an accommodating ex-husband!

hhEb09'1
2010-Mar-09, 05:24 AM
That's just sensationalism. It wasn't the fuzz between the legs, it was the fuzz between the ears:
The woman, identified as ___ ___ ___, had had her driving license revoked for five years the day before the crash

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-09, 07:52 AM
The woman, identified as M__ M__ B__, had had her driving license revoked for five years the day before the crash, according to the newspaper, after being convicted of driving under the influence.

She now faces charges of driving with a revoked license, reckless driving, driving with no insurance, and of leaving the scene of a wreck with injuries - after she continued driving for a further half mile following the smash.
Can you be convicted of leaving the scene of a wreck with injuries if you're the one injured?

That last sentence needed reading twice until I realized it wasn't her injuries but those in the other car.

closetgeek
2010-Mar-09, 12:09 PM
Sadly, with my experience driving in Fl., I am not entirely shocked.

megrfl
2010-Mar-09, 02:07 PM
This incident just shows how stupid people can be, I mean the ex should have been doing the shaving while she drove the car, doh! :doh:

Larry Jacks
2010-Mar-09, 02:41 PM
Vanity while driving isn't a female only thing. I once followed a man all of the way from Colorado Springs to Pueblo (about 50 miles). He must have had a hot date or been exceedingly vain because he spent the entire trip primping himself in the mirror. He was weaving so badly I was afraid to pass and almost ran off of the road several times. I just stayed far enough back to ensure he didn't take me out with him.

Tog
2010-Mar-09, 03:48 PM
A guy I worked with stocking shelves at the grocery store was also an EMT, fresh out of school. He would often come in and tell us about his latest stupid person. One night he said he had a serious question for us.

His question was if we practiced a certain form of "self abuse" while driving, and how often. He asked, because h arrived on scene to find the driver of the car still in the drivers seat, pinned against the wheel, with his pants undone. He had swerved onto the sidewalk and hit a pole.

The EMT said it was actually the third time it had happened on recent months, but the first one he'd seen for himself.

When he asked the guy in the car what had caused the accident, the guy replied something very similar to "organism".

It was a three mile trip to a grocery store.

slang
2010-Mar-09, 09:52 PM
When he asked the guy in the car what had caused the accident, the guy replied something very similar to "organism".

Another good reason to advocate windscreen wipers.. inside. You only have to consider what effect bugs, flies, bird droppings and other organisms have on the outside to see the necessity.

It was a three mile trip to a grocery store.

I guess there was a certain.. urgency :)

Swift
2010-Mar-09, 10:47 PM
I just feel that I need to remind people that we need to make sure every net-nanny between here and the South Pole doesn't block BAUT. People are being good so far, but "I got a bad feeling about this" ;)

Buttercup
2010-Mar-09, 10:56 PM
I don't have much of a mean streak, but people unnecessarily distracted while driving, especially doing something this silly? If they end up getting killed in a one-car (theirs of course, with no one else involved or hurt) crash, good riddance. :mad:

sarongsong
2010-Mar-10, 04:40 AM
(her pic):
March 9, 2010

blogs.miaminewtimes.com (http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2010/03/pubic_enemy_megan_barns_caused.php)

Gillianren
2010-Mar-10, 04:58 AM
I don't have much of a mean streak, but people unnecessarily distracted while driving, especially doing something this silly? If they end up getting killed in a one-car (theirs of course, with no one else involved or hurt) crash, good riddance. :mad:

Well, let's consider that. Here in Washington, it's illegal to talk on a cell phone and drive at the same time unless you're using a hands-free device. It that unnecessary distraction worthy of death? Smoking? Eating? The guy I knew in high school who would turn around to talk to the person in the back seat? We come up with more and more ways to distract ourselves while driving all the time.

Don't get me wrong--this woman deserves the jail time I dearly hope she gets and then some. It's also better that they take themselves out than anyone else. It's just that the hyperbole doesn't help.

mugaliens
2010-Mar-10, 07:07 AM
The woman, identified as Megan Mariah Barnes, had had her driving license revoked for five years the day before the crash, according to the newspaper, after being convicted of driving under the influence.

She now faces charges of driving with a revoked license, reckless driving, driving with no insurance, and of leaving the scene of a wreck with injuries - after she continued driving for a further half mile following the smash.

But BOY! What a bikini line!

On a more serious note - yeah, I think she's off my dating list...

Provence
2010-Mar-10, 11:05 AM
So the ex-husband was holding the wheel? Would it have worked better if she continued driving, and he did the shaving instead?

NEOWatcher
2010-Mar-10, 02:04 PM
So the ex-husband was holding the wheel? Would it have worked better if she continued driving, and he did the shaving instead?
re-read post 6. ;)

Trantor
2010-Mar-10, 03:31 PM
Funny story. You would think that they could have pulled over for a few minutes to do the trim work, but I guess she was in a hurry! I wonder what the ex-husband was doing there. I think he probably had a monetary reason, but after seeing her picture, I'm pretty sure it couldn't have been a big payout for him...

Lot's of Idiots on the road. My brother is a long distance truck driver and he sees a lot of strange stuff, from his vantage point. I've heard stories from him, that are much worse than this story.

rommel543
2010-Mar-10, 07:46 PM
Lot's of Idiots on the road. My brother is a long distance truck driver and he sees a lot of strange stuff, from his vantage point. I've heard stories from him, that are much worse than this story.

I used to drive long haul as well so I can attest to some of those stories. I got caught in morning commute going through Seattle once. Things I saw just that morning: eating a bowl of cereal, guy shaving, women putting on make-up, reading a book, reading newspaper, taking apart the dash (yes the person was taking apart the entire console), woman driving with knees while attempting to remove curlers from her hair.

There were also plenty of other times when I saw other interesting activities that people perform while driving (and I'm not just talking in "marital" terms that Swift was warning about). It seems the most interesting things happen either first thing in the morning while people are on the way to work or between 7 and 9 when they are trying to get ready to go out for the evening.

I will have to admit though that I have been guilty of doing other things while driving. While driving truck I hand wrote a letter to my wife. Switched drivers while still on the highway going 100 km/h (62 mph), got changed, etc. Now I seem to be more aware of my mortality and don't do stuff like that anymore.

Trantor
2010-Mar-10, 08:30 PM
There were also plenty of other times when I saw other interesting activities that people perform while driving (and I'm not just talking in "marital" terms that Swift was warning about). It seems the most interesting things happen either first thing in the morning while people are on the way to work or between 7 and 9 when they are trying to get ready to go out for the evening.

Yeah, many of the crazy things that he's told me about, have been in the morning, as people are heading to work. It seems that some people(either by themselves or with someone else) simply don't have any self control and simply don't care if they are seen by other drivers. Some of the stuff I've heard about was probably done by people that wanted to "put on a show".

I've seen some pretty stupid things on the way to work as well. Lot's of women putting on makeup or doing their hair, while driving. Sometimes, I see men reading the newspaper. Using the cell phone while driving is tame, compared to some other stuff that goes on.

rommel543
2010-Mar-10, 09:22 PM
...Some of the stuff I've heard about was probably done by people that wanted to "put on a show". .

Yes I've been given a "show" when driving, although the wife was in the truck and I got in trouble for watching. :doh:

NEOWatcher
2010-Mar-10, 09:26 PM
Yes I've been given a "show" when driving, although the wife was in the truck and I got in trouble for watching. :doh:
I've been on a lot of chartered bus trips, and some people love to give that big audience a show. I swear... one time I thought the bus was going to capsize.

Fazor
2010-Mar-10, 09:33 PM
Using the cell phone while driving is tame, compared to some other stuff that goes on.
For some people, not so much. I don't understand it. I'll talk on my phone while I'm driving. I don't like too; partly because it's uncomfortable, and partly because I don't particularly like talking on the phone to begin with. But I can still control my car and am aware of my surroundings.

But then there's plenty of people like the guy I observed on the drive to work yesterday. He made a big wide turn, nearly leaving his lane of travel entirely. Then a few seconds later, he drifted off the other side and nearly removed his tires on the old, jagged sidewalk. It looked like he was drunk (and hell, he could have been), but I think it was just because he was on his phone.

I've seen other people like that too. People get too involved in their conversations and the driving suffers. I'm sorry, but when you're driving, driving is the most important thing in your chain of processes. Not talking on the phone. Not changing the radio. And not shaving.

Oh well. People take driving for granted. We do it so much that I think we get too comfortable, and forget how dangerous vehicular travel can be.

rommel543
2010-Mar-10, 09:39 PM
I think that people who are bad drivers when talking on the phone are just bad drivers period. I almost got side swiped twice on the way to work this morning by people pulling into my lane without shoulder checking first. Both times I was able to hit the brakes and avoid getting crunched. Both times though the people were talking on their cell phones. Now did they not shoulder check because they were on their phone or because they just don't shoulder check?

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Mar-10, 09:42 PM
I have had plenty of people call in to make hotel reservations while driving. When it gets to the point where we ask for the credit card the go "while I am driving and it is pants, trunk or I don't have it." The thing is for the computer to process teh reservation we need the card number no matter where you are calling from. Also I am amazed no heard a collision happen on the end of the phone.

Provence
2010-Mar-10, 10:23 PM
re-read post 6. ;)

Must have missed that one :(

swampyankee
2010-Mar-11, 11:12 AM
You gotta see this to believe it:

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/816428-crash-caused-by-driver-shaving-bikini-line

This woman was, uh, shaving while driving. She was grooming up to see her boyfriend. Her ex-husband was in the car with her and held the wheel while she did this.

Wow.

-Richard

So, not only was she distracted, but so was anybody who looked into the car.

NEOWatcher
2010-Mar-11, 06:00 PM
I think that people who are bad drivers when talking on the phone are just bad drivers period.
I agree with that. I've never liked the idea that all the hubbubb about distractions was aimed at cell phones.
Sure, cell phones are definitely a distraction, but so are so many things that people do.

Recent studies that compared accident rates before and after cell phone bans have shown that there is no difference.

That could mean that the law is ignored and unenforcable, and I'm sure that's part of the story. I think a big part of the story is that those people that constantly yak on the phone do it because they aren't occupied with driving, and would just change thier distraction to something else.

Gillianren
2010-Mar-11, 06:41 PM
Using cell phones without a hands-free device is illegal in Washington. On more than one occasion, I've seen cops driving by while talking on their cell phones.

rommel543
2010-Mar-11, 06:49 PM
Using cell phones without a hands-free device is illegal in Washington. On more than one occasion, I've seen cops driving by while talking on their cell phones.

"Do as I say, not as I do"

Fazor
2010-Mar-11, 06:58 PM
As a cop, you have to be able to drive while talking on your radio's handset. A cell phone wouldn't be that much different.

That's why I say I'm certified in driving while talking on a hand-held device. Or, in short, what Rommel543 said. ;)

NEOWatcher
2010-Mar-11, 07:28 PM
As a cop, you have to be able to drive while talking on your radio's handset. A cell phone wouldn't be that much different.

That's why I say I'm certified in driving while talking on a hand-held device. Or, in short, what Rommel543 said. ;)
Hmmm; that's an idea.:think:
An endorsement on an license after a road test to allow talking and driving.
Of course, we can also overcharge for this endorsement to help increase the state budget.