PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know how to use Registax or Iris software?

DaveWilliamStar
2010-Mar-10, 08:42 PM
Hello:

I've tried using Registax, just playing around with it. Like I don't have 2 photos that are slightly out of alignment, or any duplicates that I could stack together. So I thought I could fool the program and submit 2 of the same thing (even photos that aren't astro.) But that was on an older computer and before I even got that far, it locked up. So my experience with it hasn't been great, yet.

However, I have a better, faster computer now. I think it's about a 3 or 4 gigahertz operating speed with a 500 GB hard drive and mem and stuff. So I think it ought to be able to handle it now. I just wondered like, what's the point of Registax. Isn't it to take several almost identical images and by putting them together it makes the contrast better? Maybe it even makes the signal to noise ratio better (I think I've read that). But like what I need to brush up on, is how to read a histogram. I don't really even know how to do that yet.:)

Also I've tried the Iris program that is a complete astrophoto editing program available free on the Internet. If you want it, just do a search for "Iris". However, even though the instruction manual for it is in English, this wasn't the language it was first written in (I think). That's because there are some grammatical errors in it. In some areas it's almost hard to understand what the writers meant.

By the way, one helpful astroimaging link is from Cyanogen at

http://www.cyanogen.com/

They have copies for sale of Maxim DL. Also, does anyone here recommend that program?

Thank you.
David

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-10, 09:40 PM
The idea with Registax is that by taking multiple images you can combine them to have something that ends up quite a bit sharper.

In layman's terms what it can do is take different pictures and combine those bits of information about the subject they each have that the others don't, and by gathering those it can generate a picture with the information from all of them.
Giving the same image multiple times will have no effect as the program already have all the information in the picture the first time it got it and won't learn anything new by a repeat.

It works best when the differences between each picture are fairly small and reasonably consistent, such as a series of images taken through a telescope tracking the same part of the sky and breaks down rather fast if it's something like a few pictures taken close up with a handheld camera because the latter will have non-linear scaling and rotational differences while the former series is likely to only have shifts and rotations which are far easier to compensate for.

RickJ
2010-Mar-10, 11:21 PM
You don't say if you are talking planetary or deep sky imaging. Registax is best suited for planetary work. There are far better choices for deep sky imaging.

There are Registax tutorials on the net. Google the term. It is best for planetary imaging from AVI files starting with hundreds of images.

For basic CCD work IRIS is free but has a nasty learning curve even if your read French.

Free PixInsight Lite is probably far easier to learn though not as powerful. For most beginners it is powerful enough however.

Inexpensive is Nebulosity that many beginners like.

I do everything after dark and flat reduction and stacking (Deep Sky Stacker does this for free, though I don't use it, many do and recommend it) I do everything else in Photoshop.

Maxim, also expensive, is good for taking images and some processing but most serious imagers also finish the image in Photoshop. I don't consider it for beginners however. It is used by most serious imagers for image acquisition and data reduction. It can easily interface with auto imaging software like CCD Commander and others for unattended or remote imaging with robotic telescopes. Nebulosity would be the poor man's version of the program when coupled with the free Ph.D guiding software for many hundreds of dollars less cost. This combination is a good starting place for deep sky imaging as long as you don't plan on remote or unattended imaging.

Rick

andyschlei
2010-Mar-11, 04:43 AM
As Rick wrote, Registax is for hundreds, even thousands, of short-exposure planetery images where you are looking to combine the best 10-20%.

Pixinsight is a pretty powerful tool, but the learning curve is high and it is not free.

RickJ
2010-Mar-11, 05:36 AM
The current version PixInsight is certainly not free and has a steep learning curve, even steeper than the price. Some skilled users prefer it to Photoshop for everything in fact. Again, only for experienced imagers. But PixInsight Lite is free. It was the original version of the software. It has the basic tools needed and a far easier learning curve. It has some tools even some experienced imagers find useful such as its gradient removal tool. I prefer GradientXTerminator, a low cost plug in for Photoshop but if you don't have Photoshop then the tool in the free version is quite useful. I used it in my early days quite a bit before I moved to Photoshop.

Rick

andyschlei
2010-Mar-12, 05:08 AM
GradientXTerminator is like magic. The gradient just goes away. When I was imaging from the city, it was the best purchase I made.