PDA

View Full Version : Telecommuting/e-commuting/e-work/telework/working from home(WFH)/working at home(WAH)

mugaliens
2010-Mar-10, 11:41 PM
Though I usually meet with the business owners/managers/employees to gather information for technical writing, most (80%) of the time I spend on any given project is done in my living room. On average, I'd say I meet twice, initially and about midway through a project. Sometimes they enjoy a presentation towards the end, though, primarily for larger projects, so I oblige.

How many of you work from/at home? Share your experiences!

Trebuchet
2010-Mar-11, 12:17 AM
You left out the option for "My home is my HOME and my business has no business expecting me to work there."

Seriously, I try to keep my work life and my personal life entirely separate. Not being able to work from home is actually one reason I still have dial-up internet there.

sarongsong
2010-Mar-11, 12:29 AM
...Sometimes they enjoy a presentation towards the end, though, primarily for larger projects, so I oblige...Where---in your living room :confused:

captain swoop
2010-Mar-11, 12:41 AM
I work as a field support engineer for a Dental Electronics company at the moment. I cover the North of England from the Borders down to Humberside and across to the pennines. I go out of area when needed, I spend about a quarter of my time across in Lancashire or up in Scottland. last week I did a job way down in market Rasen.
When there are no field jobs or if I only have a 'quickie' and get home before5.30
I work on the support desk. I have an IP phone and VPN into the call log system.
So far this week I have olny been out once to a job in York, the rest of the time I have been pounding the keyboard.

LookingSkyward
2010-Mar-11, 12:51 AM
I have a huge (100 mile) commute, and count it as a real bonus that I'm able to work from home usually 2 days a week.

I wouldn't want more than 2 days a week from home, as I'd wind up feeling disconnected from my team if I didn't spend most of my work time in the same building with them. The daily chatting and teasing interactions are really important to team morale.

Swift
2010-Mar-11, 01:21 AM
I picked the 4th choice (work at a place of business outside of home), but I do occasionally bring some work home, to work on for a few hours in the evening or on a weekend. Like Trebuchet, I try to keep home and work separated, but the reality is that it doesn't always work that way.

Gillianren
2010-Mar-11, 01:25 AM
Currently, I'm on disability. If I get the film-reviewing job (editorial upheaval, apparently, so who knows?), I will mostly be working from home, at least in part because there are no critics' screenings in Olympia and getting to one in Seattle is more complicated than just having the DVD sent to me.

jokergirl
2010-Mar-11, 08:19 AM
I'm working in an office, though as a programmer I have certain freedoms - since I don't need more than my computer I can be working from home.
Still, I'm getting the vibes that my current boss isn't as cool with it as my previous boss, so I'm not...

;)

captain swoop
2010-Mar-11, 08:46 AM
I did my share of commuting when I lived in London. 10 years going in to the West End from Greenwich. It doesn't sound far but by the time the trains got to us it was standing room only. Sometimes it was better to get a bus to Charlton (two train stops further out) and get the train there so I got a sit down.
Then from Charing Cross it was a walk to Leicester Square and then a tube to Holloway road.
It got better when I was at Emap I was based in Covent Garden or Oxford St so it was just a walk up St martins Lane or Wardour St from the station.

When I first moved back to Yorkshire I was doingContract Work. One of them was in Skipton setting up and supporting a Design Studio full of Macs. That one was a 90 minute drive each way.

rommel543
2010-Mar-11, 02:54 PM
For the life of me I wish I could get a job where I worked @ home. I enjoy my job, just not going into work. The husband of a friend of my wife works for the government in the IT Dept. 90% of his work is remote and she doesn't work so they travel all over and he can take his laptop and keep working. Once every couple of months he has to fly into Ottawa for a couple of days.

captain swoop
2010-Mar-11, 04:11 PM
have been sat at home for 3 days this week but I am off to leeds tomorrow.

Swift
2010-Mar-11, 06:08 PM
Actually, given a complete choice, I would not like working at home. I think I would be too easily distracted and would never get anything done. Plus, I like a certain amount of interaction with my co-workers. And, if I'm doing what I want to (Chemistry), I'm not spending my whole life at a desk.

I do wish I didn't have a 65-70 minute commute each way.

rommel543
2010-Mar-11, 06:51 PM
Being a software developer I basically sit on my butt anyways. Plus I have 4 contracts, all of which I'm the sole person working on them.

Larry Jacks
2010-Mar-11, 07:27 PM
I've never been able to get the government to approve a home SCIF so I work outside the home. I do sometimes bring home unclassified work but only when schedule pressures demand it.

Personally, I find too many temptations at home. The refrigerator keeps calling me to eat something.

NEOWatcher
2010-Mar-11, 07:29 PM
Actually, given a complete choice, I would not like working at home. I think I would be too easily distracted and would never get anything done. Plus, I like a certain amount of interaction with my co-workers.
Same here. I did it for about a month after surgery, and felt like I got nothing accomplished.
I'm sure the recovery had something to do with it, but I know that the mental commitment just wasn't there.

Trebuchet
2010-Mar-11, 08:05 PM
I should have added in my post that I have a very short commute. I can be into the office in 10 minutes in an emergency, assuming I'm starting from home. So that makes it easier not to telecommute.

And I should point out that the short commute is by design. I have not only turned down desirable jobs in order to continue to have the minimal commute, but have quit a job I liked and taken a pay cut to work closer to home. Of course, if you consider the time spent commuting, the pay cut turned into an hourly raise.