PDA

View Full Version : It's Spring!

skyline5k
2010-Mar-12, 01:28 PM
For most of late fall and early winter, I spent quite a bit of time on my balcony. We bought a shell of an apartment, and while the workers were drilling, cutting, chopping, painting, grinding and re-painting, I spent my time on the balcony, having a smoke and looking up. It's not always easy to see stars here. Shanghai has a serious light pollution problem. Renovation has serious everything-else-pollution. But despite all that, Orion was always there. In a city like Shanghai, where it's dark in the winter by 5pm, it shouldn't be hard to spot. But in Shanghai, it's hard to spot more than 20 stars in the sky on some days. I can see why 1/5 of the world can't see the Milky Way.

Another reason to miss my hometown in Pennsylvania.

Now, Orion has left. Gone the way of the workers, drillers, painters and what not. It's gone. We've moved in officially and have only the light pollution left.

It's now officially Spring! :D

Swift
2010-Mar-12, 02:10 PM
Hope you enjoy Spring and your new apartment, though technically, there are a few more days till the Equinox.

I do like the night sky this time of year, with the winter constellations like Orion still around, but the summer ones like the Big Dipper around too.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-12, 02:22 PM
Different countries count spring from different dates.
It's been spring here for almost 2 weeks now.

tashirosgt
2010-Mar-12, 03:04 PM
The conventions about when the seasons begin in the USA makes them begin too late from the point of view of when the weather first changes. However, if someone were going to schedule a "Spring Festival" for "The First Day Of Spring", I suppose it makes sense to set that day so the weather has a very high probability of being Spring-like instead of trying to make it coincide with the very earliest appearance of such weather.

Buttercup
2010-Mar-12, 03:09 PM
I'm glad to see Orion off towards the western horizon now. And Leo sure is on the rise. :) Arcturus will soon make its yearly debut above some rather majestic mountain peaks; to me it -- Arcturus -- is the herald of Spring.

Tobin Dax
2010-Mar-12, 04:17 PM
I do like the night sky this time of year, with the winter constellations like Orion still around, but the summer ones like the Big Dipper around too.
I just want to point out that the Big Dipper is an asterism, not a constellation. :)

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Mar-12, 04:41 PM
I can see the see entire constellation of ursa major here pretty much year round.

Buttercup
2010-Mar-12, 06:08 PM
I can see the see entire constellation of ursa major here pretty much year round.

I used to be able to back home (upper Midwest). After moving here (southwest) I soon noticed the Big Dipper (yes - an asterism) slips beneath the northern horizon in winter. That was weird. :confused: (And yes I know the reason for that). It still, after all these years, is a bit strange to me to not always see UM/the BD in the sky year round.

Donnie B.
2010-Mar-12, 06:58 PM
It's sugaring season here in New England. I'm going to take a tour of a maple farm this weekend, if all goes to plan.

Tobin Dax
2010-Mar-12, 08:21 PM
I used to be able to back home (upper Midwest). After moving here (southwest) I soon noticed the Big Dipper (yes - an asterism) slips beneath the northern horizon in winter. That was weird. :confused: (And yes I know the reason for that). It still, after all these years, is a bit strange to me to not always see UM/the BD in the sky year round.
I currently live at about 36 degrees latitude. I grew up on the 45th parallel. I also spent five years years at about 40 degrees. I cannot get used to the shift in the sky. It just doesn't feel right.

On topic, the weather's getting warmer. Hopefully we'll have more clear nights in the next to months than we've been getting lately.

Buttercup
2010-Mar-12, 09:17 PM
Tobin Dax:
I currently live at about 36 degrees latitude. I grew up on the 45th parallel. I also spent five years years at about 40 degrees. I cannot get used to the shift in the sky. It just doesn't feel right.

One thing I do like about living hundreds of miles further south is of course the south-riding constellations are "pushed up." :) It'd now be strange for me to go back home and see Orion and Scorpius (especially) so low to the southern horizon while here they're at least (visually) "2.5 inches" above it. Back home Scorpius' tail is near to dragging the horizon, but it's fully beautiful here. So yes, I'd rather have this and miss the Big Dipper in the winter.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Mar-18, 08:05 PM
Saw 5 geese last evening fly by my window and today saw some of the chives coming up.

Swift
2010-Mar-19, 02:17 AM
The signs of spring are pouring in around here. Heard my first Spring Peepers yesterday, saw my first Turkey Vulture today, the Skunk Cabbage has been in bloom for almost 2 weeks, and the pollen count is up to the level that I've started my Claritin. Lake Erie is still mostly frozen, but all the snow on the ground has melted.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Mar-19, 04:50 AM
The snow been melting for weeks.
Taking just before the final hockey game of the Olympics.
http://www.antielectricuniverse.com/images/100_0309.JPG
These were taking firther in the woods just this past weekend.
http://www.antielectricuniverse.com/images/100_0328.JPG
http://www.antielectricuniverse.com/images/100_0332.JPG
eta ingore the date on the last ones I haven't reset the date on the camera.

mugaliens
2010-Mar-19, 06:57 AM
Sure seemed like it yesterday, with a sunny high of 64 deg F!

Today and throughout the weekend we're under a winter storm warning.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Mar-19, 07:06 AM
The long range forecast looks like the temperature is going to drop and a couple of storms. If it snows it is not going last long.

mahesh
2010-Mar-19, 09:56 AM
The snow been melting for weeks...
Very nice woods/copse, David. Lovely light. Spring-like, vibrant light. Good captures.
Thanks for sharing.