PDA

View Full Version : The duct tape of star ships

bbtuna
2004-Mar-10, 03:53 AM
I am watching Star Trek: Generations out of the corner of my eye while catching up on the BABB (I was gone for a few days) and saw another instance of the "duct tape of star ships". The Deflector Dish.

"Help, we are stuck in the energy ribbon!"

"If we fire a photon torpedo, we could break free."

"We don't have any, they will be here Tuesday."

Scotty:
"We can sumulate the effects of a torpedo by modulating the subspace field frequency of the MAIN DEFLECTOR DISH, we could escape."
(read with Irish accent)

And the deflector dish saves the day yet again.

This is just the jist, you get the idea. I'm not a hard core trekkie, heck I didn't know what the deflector dish did (besides save the ship every episode) until a few years ago.

Just an observation

freddo
2004-Mar-10, 04:07 AM
Scotty is Irish?

Xbalanque
2004-Mar-10, 05:20 AM
I thought he was Welsh.

:lol:

Lycus
2004-Mar-10, 05:29 AM
No, no, no. He's French Canadian. I'm positive. :P

Maksutov
2004-Mar-10, 06:06 AM
Seeing as how he's on a starship, perhaps Nova Scotian would be most appropriate. But with that first name, he might be from Alabama. :)

freddo
2004-Mar-10, 06:20 AM
He does know his ship like the back of his hand... What does that mean other than he's sure to bang his noggin on a bulkhead at the next inopportunity?

Zamboni
2004-Mar-10, 06:44 AM
He does know his ship like the back of his hand... What does that mean other than he's sure to bang his noggin on a bulkhead at the next inopportunity?

I still don't get the impression "like the back of one's hand"... Really, how often do you look at your back hand anyway?

Mellow
2004-Mar-10, 08:55 AM
Good point, let me just check........... :o WOAH!!!

So thats where I left my sandwich!

jokergirl
2004-Mar-10, 10:09 AM
I thought the duct tape of star ships was reversing the polarity...

;)

milli360
2004-Mar-10, 10:27 AM
yeah the dish is more like the butler

gethen
2004-Mar-10, 02:14 PM
Scotty is Irish?
Scotty is Welsh?
Scotty is French Canadian?
Silly me, I though he was Scottish. Like all engineers.

Wally
2004-Mar-10, 02:15 PM
Good point, let me just check........... :o WOAH!!!

So thats where I left my sandwich!

:lol: thanks for the first good chuckle of the day!

captain swoop
2004-Mar-10, 02:48 PM

;)

No, that's the Duct Tape of Time Lords.

Drakheim
2004-Mar-10, 02:55 PM
All of the starships have had deflectors on them. The one on the original enterprise looks more like a satellite dish to me than a deflector but ** shrugs **

They didnít start using them as the "versatile savior" until Next Generation though.

Amadeus
2004-Mar-10, 04:46 PM
I thought he was Welsh.

Thats Welshy :) (See futurama)

;)

No, that's the Duct Tape of Time Lords.

The sonic screwdriver is the Duct tape of the Time Lords :D

P.s Scotty is from British Columbia (well the actor is anyway)

daver
2004-Mar-10, 04:59 PM
P.s Scotty is from British Columbia (well the actor is anyway)
In The Mote In God's Eye, Niven and Pournelle have an engineer from New Caledonia, I believe, who speaks in a Scottish accent under normal situations but loses his accent under stress. I always figured that as a tribute to Scotty.

Wingnut Ninja
2004-Mar-10, 07:21 PM
The sonic screwdriver is the Duct tape of the Time Lords :D

Indeed. (http://community.middlebury.edu/~dsanford/pics/drwho-small.jpg)

I think you could make the argument that frequencies are the duct tape of the Star Trek universe; they seem to hold the entire ship together. Shields, useless without the right frequencies. Transporter? Make sure the frequency is okay. You better hope your phaser has enough frequencies, too. And if that fails, change the frequency. The deflector dish, as a common dispenser of frequencies, is more like a roll of duct tape than the duct tape itself.

Moose
2004-Mar-10, 08:37 PM
I think you could make the argument that frequencies are the duct tape of the Star Wars universe; they seem to hold the entire ship together. Shields, useless without the right frequencies. Transporter? Make sure the frequency is okay. You better hope your phaser has enough frequencies, too. And if that fails, change the frequency. The deflector dish, as a common dispenser of frequencies, is more like a roll of duct tape than the duct tape itself.

Heh, WN, if this were Win Ben Stein's Money, you'd be wearing the big pointy dunce cap for the rest of the round for having answered in the form of a question.

You're thinking Trek, not that other show.

Demigrog
2004-Mar-10, 09:40 PM
In Star Wars, don't forget the Hydrospanner.

freddo
2004-Mar-10, 11:10 PM
I still don't get the impression "like the back of one's hand"... Really, how often do you look at your back hand anyway?

You don't get it because it's an expression! :wink:

Besides, I look at my backhand - down the line - everytime I play tennis with my girlfriend. And I mean tennis. :o

Wingnut Ninja
2004-Mar-10, 11:14 PM
Heh, WN, if this were Win Ben Stein's Money, you'd be wearing the big pointy dunce cap for the rest of the round for having answered in the form of a question.

You're thinking Trek, not that other show.

Whoops, wrong thread. You know the old saying, duct tape is like the Force: it has a light side, a dark side, and holds the universe together.

Zamboni
2004-Mar-11, 12:16 AM

Besides, I look at my backhand - down the line - everytime I play tennis with my girlfriend. And I mean tennis. :o

Well you *really* should keep your eyes on the ball though...

Maksutov
2004-Mar-11, 03:13 AM

You've got to be pretty mean to use a backhand shot on her!

(unless, of course, you're covered with black and blue marks from HER backhand shots!)

freddo
2004-Mar-11, 05:43 AM
I said I meant tennis. Yes concentration is a perpetual problem. And I am being rather mean, but only because she used to absolutely whoop me when we started playing.

Argh! You can't talk about sport without double messages! I swear I'm being totally unambiguous!

Zamboni
2004-Mar-11, 06:09 AM
Argh! You can't talk about sport without double messages! I swear I'm being totally unambiguous!
I see... You used to get "whooped" while playing "tennis" huh... Heh heh heh...

Me confused... :-?

freddo
2004-Mar-11, 06:13 AM
Well you see I could never hold my own serve... :o

I'm so innocent I swear.

digitalspector
2004-Mar-11, 06:37 AM
quack? JK

Zamboni
2004-Mar-11, 07:19 AM

I'm so innocent I swear.
It all depends on how you handle your racquet... Make sure you have a nice and firm grip. Don't be afraid to experiment with different positions...

captain swoop
2004-Mar-11, 10:04 AM
I think you could make the argument that frequencies are the duct tape of the Star Trek universe.

Surely it's Particals that are the Duct tape of Star trek, there are dozens of them, they do anything you want by reversing their polarity, changinf their frequency, energizing them etc.

http://www.midwinter.com/~koreth/particles/

freddo
2004-Mar-11, 10:09 PM
It all depends on how you handle your racquet... Make sure you have a nice and firm grip. Don't be afraid to experiment with different positions...
You keep setting me up:

I recently did change from an oriental to a western grip on my forehand. As a result I get a lot more power and topspin. 8)

My performance began to improve dramatically after this.

Oh, and I also changed from a two to a one handed backhand - what a wicked slice I wield...

Zamboni
2004-Mar-12, 02:53 AM
You keep setting me up:

Me!? I didn't start this... (or maybe I did, still you kept on going and going)

I recently did change from an oriental to a western grip on my forehand. As a result I get a lot more power and topspin. 8)

Sacrificing agility for strength I see...

Oh, and I also changed from a two to a one handed backhand - what a wicked slice I wield...
Careful... You don't want to end up doing solos... Those aren't nearly as much fun. :lol:

Wingnut Ninja
2004-Mar-12, 03:35 AM
I think you could make the argument that frequencies are the duct tape of the Star Trek universe.

Surely it's Particals that are the Duct tape of Star trek, there are dozens of them, they do anything you want by reversing their polarity, changinf their frequency, energizing them etc.

http://www.midwinter.com/~koreth/particles/

Ahh, a good point, but particles often have (or come in) frequencies. So perhaps particles are the sticky part of the duct tape while frequencies are the structural backing. Or maybe the other way around.

What a fun analogy. :)

Maksutov
2004-Mar-12, 03:54 AM

I'm so innocent I swear.

Good advice, Zamboni! freddo will probably find that helps work the kinks out...

Grand_Lunar
2004-Mar-13, 08:56 PM
Scotty is Irish?
Scotty is Welsh?
Scotty is French Canadian?
Silly me, I though he was Scottish. Like all engineers.

Aye laddie, he's Scottish. I should know, I'm an engineer too! And look where at! :wink:

All of the starships have had deflectors on them. The one on the original enterprise looks more like a satellite dish to me than a deflector but ** shrugs **

They didnít start using them as the "versatile savior" until Next Generation though.

Guess unitl TNG, the dish was just used so they could get HBO. Wonder if they used Direct TV? Imagine the service charge! And ordering Pay-per-view!

Zamboni
2004-Mar-13, 09:02 PM
Guess unitl TNG, the dish was just used so they could get HBO. Wonder if they used Direct TV? Imagine the service charge! And ordering Pay-per-view!

No wonder they had so much episodes in the past... They were getting programming from the sixties'!!!