PDA

View Full Version : Meteor ?

bobwalesuk
2010-Mar-14, 08:26 AM
Hi

Amazing site , whilst fishing clear sky's, whilst fishing at nells point in barry by the knap, Cardiff Uk

I have always had a interest in Space and have a telescope, and have also been to a few meets at caerphilly mountain ( a few years back) watching metoer showers in the car park, i know what a satelite looks like, while passing over head, and meteors burning up in the earths atmosphere.

This is what a saw

A bright orange ball, like a mini sun, shooting across the sky(( not as fast as a meteor shower,)) from Barry towards western so a north east direction, it was near parallel to orion At 6pm. it was the size of a football, but it had no meteor trail, it lasted about 10seconds before disapearing.

Was it some kind meteor ?
space debris ?
Space station ? i have seen the space station before, this was much much bigger, and bright orange.
Any ideas
Thanks
Bob

grapes
2010-Mar-14, 01:22 PM
Last night? sounds impressive, surely we can find others who saw it.

danscope
2010-Mar-15, 12:21 AM
I Hope you can. And...don't call me Shirley.

Jens
2010-Mar-15, 02:30 AM
Was it some kind meteor ?
space debris ?
Space station ? i have seen the space station before, this was much much bigger, and bright orange.

Probably a meteor. I suppose it could have been something burning up on reentry, but more likely it was a meteor.

It definitely was not the ISS. If the ISS had accidentally deorbited, you would know about it. And the ISS wouldn't make a bright orange light unless it reentered the atmosphere. Normally it just looks like a point of light.