PDA

View Full Version : RIP Peter Graves

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Mar-15, 03:28 AM
Peter Graves star in the mission impossible series in the sixties and many other movies and tv shows passed away on 14 March.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/15/arts/television/15graves.html

Tom Servo
2010-Mar-15, 03:34 AM
Good actor.

Will honor his memory by renting some Peter Graves movies.

TheHalcyonYear
2010-Mar-15, 03:39 AM
83 years. Not a bad run.

Tom Servo
2010-Mar-15, 04:03 AM
If anyone is a Fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000. Peter Graves has made several movies that have been riffed by MST3K.

If you don't know about Mystery Science Theater 3000 you should really look it up. Its great trust me.

heres a few MST3K Peter Graves movies

It Conquered The World In this film, from MST3K episode 311, Graves plays Dr. Paul Nelson. His friend, Dr. Tom Anderson (Lee Van Cleef), unwittingly assists an alien in coming to earth and starting to take over the planet, and Dr. Nelson has to convince him that the creature brings war, not peace. After the film's climax, Graves' character gives an infamous, and rather lengthy, speech about the nature of humanity. At the end of the episode, this speech is played four times, for humorous effect. Also, the second-to-last host segment concerns the subject of celebrity siblings, inspired by Peter Graves and his brother James Arness.

This is Dr. Nelson's speech, in its entirety:

"He learned, almost too late, that man is a feeling creature and, because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned, too late for himself, that men have to make their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And, when men seek such perfection, they find there's only death, fire, loss, disillusionment, the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to toil and misery. It can't be given; it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from man himself."
Attack Of The Eye CreaturesWhile not appearing on-screen, Peter's voice is the "Narrator of USAF Briefing Film."

Beginning Of The End Once again, in the seventeenth episode of season five, Graves stars as another doctor, named Ed Wainwright. He accidentally causes a number of grasshoppers to grow to an enormous size, and he now must get them under control before they destroy Chicago. The middle host segment features Crow's slightly repetitive screenplay, "Peter Graves at the University of Minnesota."

Parts: The Clonus Horror In the film, also known as just The Clonus Horror, Graves is in a slightly different role, as corrupt presidential candidate Jeffrey Knight. Mr. Knight is part of a conspiracy to keep a government cloning and organ harvesting project secret. There are no Peter Graves-related host segments in this episode, but Biography riffs abound and the end credits feature a voiceover from Mike promoting a supposedly upcoming episode of Biography about Peter. This episode aired during season eight.

These movies are great by themselves and even better watching the MST3K versions.

Gillianren
2010-Mar-15, 04:28 AM
I disagree--the movies are terrible by themselves, and that's the whole point. MST3K does not deal in the great.

The funny thing is that we were just quoting Airplane! yesterday. That and the "Peter Graves at the University of Minnesota" bit seems to be all I can think of right now.

Tom Servo
2010-Mar-15, 04:33 AM
I disagree--the movies are terrible by themselves, and that's the whole point. MST3K does not deal in the great.

The funny thing is that we were just quoting Airplane! yesterday. That and the "Peter Graves at the University of Minnesota" bit seems to be all I can think of right now.

Terrible... yeah I guess your right. I tend to cut a lot of slack when watching old movies. I take time to consider things like budget and the popular styles of shooting movies back then.

So yes by todays standards absolutely horrific.
But for fans of old movies, not to bad.

Van Rijn
2010-Mar-15, 05:23 AM
Goodbye Jim Phelps (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Phelps#Jim_Phelps).

Swift
2010-Mar-15, 01:07 PM
http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens1633509_imffuse.jpg
Shouldn't the Secretary disavow his passing? ;)

Goodbye Mr. Graves, you gave us a lot of fun.

megrfl
2010-Mar-15, 01:17 PM
Farewell Captain Clarence Oveur. :)

Over.

kleindoofy
2010-Mar-15, 01:46 PM
http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens1633509_imffuse.jpg
Shouldn't the Secretary disavow his passing? ...
This thread will self-destruct in five seconds ...

DonM435
2010-Mar-15, 02:43 PM
... the subject of celebrity siblings, inspired by Peter Graves and his brother James Arness. ...

James Arness was, of course, The Thing in the classic Howard Hawks film.

I couldn't stand "Mystery Science Theatre" for more than two minutes, but it's a subject about which rational people might disagree. :neutral:

Kaptain K
2010-Mar-15, 03:07 PM
"James Arness was, of course, The Thing in the classic Howard Hawks film."

... and he got the part of Marshall Dillon on the reccomendation of John Wayne, who was too busy at the time!

redshifter
2010-Mar-15, 05:55 PM
"Jimmy, do you like movies about gladiators"?

"Jimmy, have you even been in a Turkish prison?"

RIP Mr. Graves!

Gillianren
2010-Mar-15, 06:02 PM
Terrible... yeah I guess your right. I tend to cut a lot of slack when watching old movies. I take time to consider things like budget and the popular styles of shooting movies back then.

So yes by todays standards absolutely horrific.
But for fans of old movies, not to bad.

I am a fan of old movies. Those movies are terrible. If you want great movies from that era, try Ikiru or Some Like It Hot. Heck, Parts isn't even that old!

Trebuchet
2010-Mar-15, 06:59 PM
Probably a distant cousin of mine, my paternal grandmother was a Graves.

Yes, I know Peter Graves was originally Peter Arness/Aurness. Graves was his mother's maiden name, IIRC.

peteshimmon
2010-Mar-15, 07:08 PM
With the Phelps thing I always wondered why he
looked stern at Babara Bains picture but
grinned at the fellers. Never figured that
one out. Was there much "impossible"
merchandise by any chance?

novaderrik
2010-Mar-16, 03:23 AM
Farewell Captain Clarence Oveur. :)

Over.
do we have clearance, Clarance?