PDA

View Full Version : The Utterly Random Rant Thread

Pages : [1] 2

closetgeek
2010-Mar-15, 01:48 PM
There really isn't much one can say about it. I am not looking for opinions or justification. The problem is, I have already told the story twice and it's still nagging at me; keeping me all fired up. I only have one person left to tell, but when she calls me tonight, I certainly don't think that my mind will be bored of it yet. Read it, or don't, and if you have something utterly random to gripe about, feel free to hijack the thread.

So, as I've complained about, I don't have much of a social life, outside the internet. In the past, I've made a friend, here or there, and it usually turns out to be disasterous. The most recent one, I find particularly upsetting. We met because we have children that go to school together and after about a year of passing conversation we decided to get together. My first impression of her was that she was nice, casual, and conversational. She starts coming over and as we get to know each other I started picking up on signals that should have been a red flag but hey, I haven't been around a lot of people, my tuning fork may be off. Not to mention, I have been told that my personality is an acquired taste. Who am I to judge? First, I noticed that she is very alpha-type. She takes a condescending tone with me, as though I somehow blinked into existance, yesterday, with no life experience. Then I notice that she owns the conversation and if she's feeling particularly charitable she occassionally let's me get in a word or two. I had a familiar feeling about her; I noticed that she confesses things to me that I, personally, either wouldn't confess at all (were I in that situation), but if I did, I would wait till I had some safety and trust before sharing such intimate details. The last time I had an experience with that, a woman said something rather off-putting about another member of our group, then went back to the group and retold the confession as if it were mine and it nearly ended my marriage (like I said, disasterous).

Now we had plans for she and her husband to meet my boyfriend and I for a movie then dinner. Within minutes of the greetings, she's whispering in my ear how attractive she finds my boyfriend. It bugged me but I shrugged it off. Then after dealing with her being obnoxious (laughing way too loud and constant loud comments including the F-bomb) through out the movie, we leave and begin to walk and check out our food options. I am walking holding hands with my boyfriend, with her husband walking behind us, she insists on walking next to mine. He is trying to keep space between them and in the process, pushing me off the sidewalk. In conversations, she insists on bringing the focus to her breasts and keeping things on the wrong side of appropriate when sparking chatter with my boyfriend. We sit to eat at a table with six chairs; I sit down, her husband sits across from me, mine sits next to me and she plops down next to mine. He, thinking the same things I am gets up and says, "why don't you sit next to your friend," and switches seats with me (yeah that's why I love him). Does she take the hint? Nope! now she is insisting on pictures for "memories" but it has to be of the both of us. When her camera doesn't work in the lighting, mine offers his phone up. She snaps the shot. She then says, "You have to text it to my phone because I don't have an e-mail account."
"You don't have e-mail?" I asked.
"No, I never use the computer."
He texts her the picture and not ten minutes later she says, "yeah, I almost never even use the computer, as a matter of fact, the only time I get on is to do bills and check my e-mail." Huh?

We start to walk again and after being tired of walking in the dirt I asked, "Can I get some sidewalk please?" She doesn't move, so my boyfriend, still trying to hold my hand, is forced to walk behind me. Then she says in my ear, "yeah, what's up with that? Why is your boyfriend totally pushing you into the dirt?"
He over hears and saves the day with, "Oh I could never walk in a straight line, she should be used to that by now."

When she wasn't trying to point out how much more I have in common with her husband and how she is a much better fit for my boyfriend, she was making my prosthetic leg the focus of the conversation, "Are you okay? Do you need to sit? Do you need special seating arrangements? I can't believe you have one leg and you can ski." Really, enough! Even her husband made a couple of comments about how much did she have to drink, that night.

Quite honestly, I have no desire to pursue this friendship any further. We did have plans for her to come over this week and I am so tempted to keep them just to see if she makes any attempt to apologize for herself. I doubt it though. There is one funny thing; my boyfriend e-mailed me the pic she took of "us" and despite the fact that I am smiling, my eyes are telling a whole different story. I have a look like, 'Am I in the twilight zone?' :shifty:

Fazor
2010-Mar-15, 01:59 PM
Probably gets into a rant I had last night. I'm not old enough or wise enough to say it's a "new trend", but it amazes me how many people have this overwhelming sense of entitlement. Worse, that entitlement seems to be linked with a persistent lack of responsibility. "It's never my fault, but the world owes me everything!"

Sounds like calling this woman "Type A" is an understatement. She saw something she wanted, and she figures she has every right to it.

I guess just be happy that you have such a desirable boyfriend. *shrug*

megrfl
2010-Mar-15, 02:22 PM
Aaaaargh!! I know this story only too well. My husband reacts the same way, always a gentleman. Glad to read your bf is a gentleman too.
I think you should be relieved, albeit hurt, to have found out what kind of person/boob :p this gal is before having invested too much time in the relationship. It's her loss, I think I would enjoy letting her know via email ;) why you will be cutting ties with her. :)

closetgeek
2010-Mar-15, 03:07 PM
Aaaaargh!! I know this story only too well. My husband reacts the same way, always a gentleman. Glad to read your bf is a gentleman too.
I think you should be relieved, albeit hurt, to have found out what kind of person/boob :p this gal is before having invested too much time in the relationship. It's her loss, I think I would enjoy letting her know via email ;) why you will be cutting ties with her. :)

Let me guess, Meg; your husbands gentleman-like consideration gets confused with "special attention", right? One thing I notice that mine does is that he makes knowing names, important. Whether it's a server at a restaurant, a sales call, or meeting some for the first time. He always says, "I am well, thank you. How are you <insert name>?" Sometimes, the females glance at me for my reaction because it's mistaken as flirting. I think this girl went full on into a delusion that she and he had some kind of unspoken connection. I maintained my manners, throughout the evening but when she started talking about how much of a pair the two of them were, I was so tempted to respond, "Not really, he likes girls with a little class." :silenced:

Probably gets into a rant I had last night. I'm not old enough or wise enough to say it's a "new trend", but it amazes me how many people have this overwhelming sense of entitlement. Worse, that entitlement seems to be linked with a persistent lack of responsibility. "It's never my fault, but the world owes me everything!"

Fazor, I concur, but it usually comes with a warning statement. It seems these people always make an announcement at the start, letting you know that they are the no-holds-barred type and make no apologies for it. In their head it automatically equates to a license to act how ever they want, regardless of the consequences and if you have the nerve to react, you are the one with the problem.

megrfl
2010-Mar-15, 07:55 PM
Let me guess, Meg; your husbands gentleman-like consideration gets confused with "special attention", right?

All the time.

One thing I notice that mine does is that he makes knowing names, important. Whether it's a server at a restaurant, a sales call, or meeting some for the first time. He always says, "I am well, thank you. How are you <insert name>?" Sometimes, the females glance at me for my reaction because it's mistaken as flirting. I think this girl went full on into a delusion that she and he had some kind of unspoken connection. I maintained my manners, throughout the evening but when she started talking about how much of a pair the two of them were, I was so tempted to respond, "Not really, he likes girls with a little class." :silenced:

lol, Exactly.

closetgeek
2010-Mar-16, 12:17 PM
As I said in the OP, feel free to rant about your own thing. Had a bad day? Someone rubbed you the wrong way; have at it.

megrfl
2010-Mar-16, 01:34 PM
Regular gas is up to $3 bucks a gallon at some stations in my area. :confused:

The paper reports: "...the basic fundamentals of supply and demand do not support such high prices."

03/2010 - Crude: $81.24 per barrel -- Gas per gallon - $3.00
10/2008 - Crude: $70.00 per barrel -- Gas per gallon - $3.00

Based on the above figures, we should be paying nearly $3.24 a gallon.

I realize there are other factors, but gas prices consistently seem willy-nilly.

:(

Donnie B.
2010-Mar-16, 03:56 PM
Cue some British or European BAUTer's comment about how cheap gas is in America in 3... 2... 1...

Strange
2010-Mar-16, 04:48 PM
I just figured out that it is about $8.50/gallon in the UK (using possibly mis-remembered conversion factors - actually, a US gallon isn't the same size as a UK one is it).

ETA:
I realize there are other factors, but gas prices consistently seem willy-nilly.

That is probably something we can all agree on.

Strange
2010-Mar-16, 04:52 PM
As I said in the OP, feel free to rant about your own thing. Had a bad day? Someone rubbed you the wrong way; have at it.

Actually, I was slightly peeved this morning when the butler laid out my clothes. I distinctly said I wanted the black loafers, but he put out the brogues. I'm sure I heard him muttering something about "not being suitable for a gentleman of a certain age".

Oh, I guess that's not the sort of thing you mean... ;)

closetgeek
2010-Mar-16, 07:08 PM
No, no Strange, feel free. I can totally understand, too. It's just impossible to find good servants these days.

KaiYeves
2010-Mar-16, 11:25 PM
Any random rant? Okay...

My mom usually brings the mail home with her when she comes home from work, so if there's a new issue of Newsweek, I like to read that before I do my homework.

So yesterday, I was reading it, and they had a very good article that rightfully condemned a group that was using scare tactics because they had nothing else. Generally, I think the "fear card" is about as low as one can get, so I agreed.

A few pages later, in another article, they were talking about China's growing economic and political power, and I was pleased to see a reference to NASA's recent budget troubles (They hadn't really written about it before)...

...EXCEPT that the mention was only in the "OMG, China is going to beat us back to the moon and then bad things will happen and the world will explode!" sort of vein.

Uh, hello, weren't they just saying how they disapproved of playing the scare card?

teri tait
2010-Mar-16, 11:32 PM
Random.. my flavorite :D

I don't have any rants or anything. Oh, except I own way too many pairs of shoes :)

Fazor
2010-Mar-17, 06:09 PM
I don't have any rants or anything. Oh, except I own way too many pairs of shoes :)
I'll agree with, though slightly augment that rant. I have too many pairs of shoes (four). I also have too few pairs of shoes.

I don't think four pairs of shoes are necessary, and I get tired of stuffing them under the shelve or tripping over them if I leave them out. But the pairs I have don't meet my needs.

I have a pair of boots I bought this winter to combat the snow, and I like those.

I have a pair of "nice" shoes that I wear to work, but they're about 6 years old now and thus no longer nice.

I have an old pair of tennis shoes that are grass stained and dirty and falling apart. They're my "slip-on" shoes; you know, the kind you tie lose enough to allow them to be slipped on or off. They're for yard work, muddy situations (like fishing), or when I'm lazy and just don't care what I look like.

Lastly, I have a pair of canvas low tops (like converse, but I can't recall what brand). Leisure shoes, I guess. I like how they look and feel, but they can't hold up to any real amount of standing or walking. I rarely wear them. Hell, I can rarely find them.

closetgeek
2010-Mar-17, 10:34 PM
I have a pair of brown sneakers, that's it. Come summer time, I will have one pair of really awesome, weirdest black sandals you will ever see, and one cute pair of white sandals. I am a minimalist when it comes to shoes.

mugaliens
2010-Mar-19, 08:54 AM
For the plutonic stuff: http://www.meetup.com - TONS of social groups in your area, I'm sure, doing all sorts of things from needlepoint to coffee buffs to singles to single parents to...

It's free.

For the romantic stuff: http://datehookup.com

It's also free.

Then there's match.com, on which I've met more than a few friends, and a couple of potentials for relationships beyond just friends. :) It's a pay site, but you can register and browse the basics for free.

Regular gas is up to $3 bucks a gallon at some stations in my area. :confused:

http://www.gasbuddy.com

If everyone were to use it, it'd keep the competition high. :)

Buttercup
2010-Mar-19, 01:46 PM
Closetgeek, lose that "friend" pronto. :( She is up to no good. Why is she insisting on not walking with her husband, and beside your boyfriend instead? She's a player.

Life's too short.

I've recently had a spate of bad luck despite putting my best foot forward. Certain people deserve to be left coughing in the dust as you drive ahead...

megrfl
2010-Mar-19, 01:55 PM
Well, I rejoined BJ's Wholesale Club yesterday for $45.00 dollars. I have been a member in the past, but I let my membership slip because I just don't need to buy that much stuff in bulk (36 rolls of toilet paper in one shot.) However, I do like buying their meats and veggies.

At any rate, my parents are members and they loyally purchase their gas there because BJ's usually has the lowest prices in the area, thus the major reason I rejoined. Their gas prices yesterday were $2.79 for regular and $2.99 for premium (my daughters Jetta requires premium.) At her last fill-up she/I paid $3.05 a gallon. Will I make up the $45.00 dollars plus in savings over the course of a year? My gut says, no!?!?!

I guess I'm ranting at myself for not having a good perspective?

Fazor
2010-Mar-19, 02:01 PM
We like to shop at Giant Eagle, and they give x off gas per 100 you spend in groceries, (and vice versa). Usually we can save up enough "reward points" or whatever it's called to get ~$1.50/gallon off.

But the reason they have systems like that is because it makes it easier to mask high prices while feigning a great deal. It costs us a lot more to do our food shopping there than it does at the other place we go (it's about 50/50). But they have better quality food, so I don't mind paying a little extra. Just have to remember you're not really getting a deal.

rommel543
2010-Mar-19, 04:42 PM
Quite honestly, I have no desire to pursue this friendship any further. .....

I've actually been in your husbands shoes before. We have a family friend, Jill, who we go over to her house for holiday occasions and the odd party here and there. Jill has a friend, Kelly, who is married to a police officer and it's not a happy marriage. This past fall there were a bunch of us over there and we were discussing what we would do for Halloween (Jill always puts on a big Halloween party), and Jill suggested that we do party games. We were discussing games and one called "Sardines" came up. No one knew what it was so Jill explained it. The premise of the game is one person goes and hides. The remaining people then have to do a draw and the person that wins has to go and find the person hiding. If they succeed in the alloted time frame, they have to hid WITH the person they found, else return to the group. After the explanation the conversation kept going. At this point Kelly, who has had more than a few glasses of wine, leans over to me (falls on me) and makes a some sort of comment about the two of us hiding in the closet together and is brushing her breasts across my arm. Thankfully Kelly's daughter, who is 18, saw this and said that she had to get up in the morning and it was time for her to go. Being her ride, Kelly had no choice but to follow.

Needless to say I was VERY uncomfortable a feeling that lasted long after Kelly had left. Whats harder is that she is one of Jills best friends.

Also that wasn't the first time this has happened. Another person that we know had an ongoing issue with her. To the point that Kelly cornered him in the kitchen one night and grabbed him between the legs. It took having 4 other people to box him in and keep her away from him. When Jill found out she didn't talk to Kelly for almost a year, until Kelly's mother died and they made amends.

We like to shop at Giant Eagle, and they give x off gas per 100 you spend in groceries, (and vice versa). Usually we can save up enough "reward points" or whatever it's called to get ~$1.50/gallon off.

But the reason they have systems like that is because it makes it easier to mask high prices while feigning a great deal. It costs us a lot more to do our food shopping there than it does at the other place we go (it's about 50/50). But they have better quality food, so I don't mind paying a little extra. Just have to remember you're not really getting a deal.

We go to Costco here. You save a little on the food because most stuff you're buying bulk, but with 3 boys its usually not a problem. They just recently opened a gas bar at one of their locations and gas is usually 10-15 cents cheaper a liter (it's currently about 98 cents a liter).

closetgeek
2010-Mar-20, 03:46 PM
For the plutonic stuff: http://www.meetup.com - TONS of social groups in your area, I'm sure, doing all sorts of things from needlepoint to coffee buffs to singles to single parents to...

It's free.

For the romantic stuff: http://datehookup.com

It's also free.

Then there's match.com, on which I've met more than a few friends, and a couple of potentials for relationships beyond just friends. :) It's a pay site, but you can register and browse the basics for free.

http://www.gasbuddy.com

If everyone were to use it, it'd keep the competition high. :)

Mugsy, I just joined meetup.com, the brevard county atheists group. I am actually really excited because next week I am going to my first meetup. It's dinner and a lecture. Dinner will be at an Indian food place; my first experience with that kind of food so any recommendations for someone with no tolerance for spicey foods is welcome, and a lecture on hyper-massive black holes. I am so looking forward to that.

Buttercup I found myself in a particularly odd situation the other day. Basically, I am just blowing her off and hoping she will get the hint. I don't answer the phone when she calls and when she texts to make plans I just say, "not a good idea" or "sorry, I can't" with no excuse. So she showed up at my door, unannounced, on Wed. and asked, right in front of my son, if he could come over to play with her son. Me, already feeling bad for my son for having no friends, couldn't say no. Now, she got this idea in her head that my boyfriend and I are going on a cruise with she and her hubby. Ah not likely.

You know what's really unfair is the fact that I am already incredibly insecure and paranoid. We have been together long enough so about a month ago, I took responsibility for my lack of trust, stopped comparing, and made it a point to trust him based on his own merit rather than my experiences. Now this chick comes along and sent me into a spiral. I have to constantly keep myself in check and remind myself that he did nothing wrong and couldn't have handled the situation any better than he would have, were I giving him secret commands. I can't rightfully blame her for how crazy I am, but I can't help but despise her behavior.

Buttercup
2010-Mar-20, 04:07 PM
So she showed up at my door, unannounced, on Wed. and asked, right in front of my son, if he could come over to play with her son. Me, already feeling bad for my son for having no friends, couldn't say no.

Emotionally blackmailing you. :(

Now, she got this idea in her head that my boyfriend and I are going on a cruise with she and her hubby. Ah not likely.

:confused: Oh my goodness. :( Frankly? She's bullying you.

Now this chick comes along and sent me into a spiral.

I can relate recently, though in a very different circumstance (thought a short-lived BAD luck streak had resolved itself, only to take another unexpected plunge over a cliff). Stick to your plan to avoid/ignore her, etc. Eventually she'll get the hint (and hopefully sooner rather than later). Get a bit draconian if need be.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-20, 04:26 PM
I really hate migraines that are triggered by doing something enjoyable.

GalaxyGal
2010-Mar-20, 05:00 PM
I can relate - my husband Tom is a kind gentleman, in great shape, and an introvert. Conversely, I'm the gregarious social butterfly. We've both had to fend off unwelcome advances. We tease each other about our ability to attract whackos. We helped a friend who was dying from cancer. His wife latched onto my husband during the last weeks and stalked Tom for almost a year after her husband died. We filed that one under "no good deed goes unpunished."

Female acquaintances have thrown themselves at him in front of me, and your experience of the befriender with a motive is all too familiar. (Although it sounds like her motives developed after she met your boyfriend). My hubby and I are a nice, average looking couple....certainly nothing to turn heads. But we have a great marriage, have a lot of fun....and we know how rare that is.

A good friend reminded me that "noone can take advantage of you, without your permission." For some, avoiding them is enough, but this woman sounds like she may be too aggressive to take the hint.

Good luck - it's a difficult situation. Life is too short to waste time with toxic people.

closetgeek
2010-Mar-22, 12:16 AM
I really hate migraines that are triggered by doing something enjoyable.

Is this in light of Chrissy's recent episode or are you two peas in a pod? I hope whomever is suffering, feels better soon. I have heard they can last for days.

sarongsong
2010-Mar-22, 05:58 AM
I really hate migraines that are triggered by doing something enjoyable....especially were it legal and non-fattening! :)

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-22, 08:26 AM
Is this in light of Chrissy's recent episode or are you two peas in a pod? I hope whomever is suffering, feels better soon. I have heard they can last for days.
Yes, Chrissy.
It's pretty disruptive to everything when you keep getting tempted by the trigger. She got another migraine attack Saturday morning and is still not quite over it.

Strange
2010-Mar-22, 11:37 AM
For the plutonic stuff: http://www.meetup.com

Is that for friends who are quite small and a really long way away. And not really classified as friends at all ... :)

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-22, 05:43 PM
date-a-dwarf?

chrissy
2010-Mar-22, 06:38 PM

Lasting nearly seven days already and no matter what I have taken it just won't go away, eating anything has become a struggle too. :( Today was looking good for a migraine free day and tonight it is niggling in the back ground and the fuzzy view at the side of the eyes is a sure sign. The other migraines have just exploded into a full blown "floor an elephant pain".
Poor Henrik is looking after me. http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/muede/k070.gif

Strange
2010-Mar-22, 07:59 PM
You might want someone to check your heart out. There was a report recently about many people with migraine having a small hole in the heart. Fixing that could almost completely eliminate further attacks. Sorry, don't have reference for more detail... (can't even remember where I read/heard it)

EDIT: Found this http://www.rbht.nhs.uk/research/overview/migraine/
http://www.migrainetrust.org/module_images/holeinheart.pdf

chrissy
2010-Mar-22, 09:51 PM
:eek:
This has only started to happen in a spate of one month, all I can put it down to is having a total hysterectomy and it is due to hormonal changes. When I return to the UK I am making an appointment to see my GP asap. Or was your tactics to try and scare the migraine out of me?? :eek:

rommel543
2010-Mar-23, 01:36 PM
I've suffered from migraines since I was 16. My mother gets them and my brother if he eats chocolate. Most of mine can be put under control with Sumatriptan. Only the really bad ones that generally last for days aren't affected by it.

My wife keeps telling me to keep a log of what I eat, do, the weather, etc, to see if I can find a common trigger. The problem is when you're going sometimes a month between migraines it's a lot to write down and I hate paper work at the best of times.

megrfl
2010-Mar-23, 07:23 PM
What is wrong with Sandra Bullock that she couldn't keep a good and beyond handsome man like Jesse James satisfied? Poor man, he had to go and have an affair with a tattoo artist. Ristinkindiculous!!!!

My husband said, "So, hmm, she's single again." :)

rommel543
2010-Mar-23, 08:05 PM
I've always had a thing for Sandra. Some of my friends don't get it but there is something about her that I'm attracted to.

closetgeek
2010-Mar-23, 11:39 PM
People don't get that, Rommel? She's beautiful and has presence. I don't quite have a girl crush on her but I can see why guys would like her. Apparently Jesse was more into the Frankenstein look.

Fazor
2010-Mar-24, 12:44 AM
Tara definately has a girl-crush on her. I've never been crazy about her, but she can be extreemely pretty, and on a bad is still prettier than average. She also seems like she's intelligent and probably a great person to be around. But I've never been a fan of her movies.

Jesse J, on the other hand, I've always thought was a big [insert appropriate name here]. I couldn't believe it when I read about him cheating on her--but mostly I couldn't believe Sandra was married to him! I hadn't known that.

GalaxyGal
2010-Mar-24, 01:02 AM
First the parade of Tiger Woods' liaisons from central casting and now Jesse James - cheating has reached a bizarre new low

SeanF
2010-Mar-24, 02:43 AM
Tiger cheated on Elin, Jesse cheated on Sandra, and way back when Hugh Grant cheated on Elizabeth Hurley.

I'm thinking the attractiveness of the wife isn't a driving factor in the decision to cheat. :)

closetgeek
2010-Mar-24, 12:35 PM
On one hand, I feel bad for celebs, sometimes. I know the bad has to come with the good but nothing is private when you are famous. I would imagine being cheated on is humilating enough when it's kept just between the one's directly involved but to have pictures of you, smattered all over every tabloid on every magazing rack, speculating on how you must feel; has to be enough to make one wish they were never born.

rommel543
2010-Mar-24, 12:41 PM
I heard an interview with Jack Nicholson years ago and they were discussing cheating. He stated that one you hit a certain point as a celebrity you have people fawning over you all the time. Women (and men) hitting on you, ALL THE TIME, and not even being discrete about it. "Oh hi, I'm ____. Hey there'e an empty closet over there...". After awhile the attention goes to your head and you actually start believing what they say, and it's hey why not visit the closet. Better yet, why don't we just go back up stairs to my hotel room. etc, etc, etc.

Fazor
2010-Mar-24, 05:47 PM
I'm not going to defend or admonish these people. My question is, since when is it anyone else's business? Not just that, but since when is it breaking, world-wide news?

I just cannot fathom why anyone cares; though I often wonder if as many people really do care as the news seems to think they do.

Though Tara had a good point the other night, when they were talking to one of Tiger's "lovers", and sobbingly she said, "I'd be happy with just a telephone apology from Tiger!" *sob sob sob*

Apologize for what, exactly? She knew he was married, and that she was "the other woman", even if she didn't know she was the "other, other, other, other woman". To me it all comes off as a sickening display of "first, I got what I wanted in sleeping with a celebrity, now I want everyone to feel sorry for me so I can get all the attention I also want. Lastly, I want a book deal and my own reality tv show."

Bah humbug. I'm almost starting to miss news stories about "ghostly spheres showing up on security cameras" and "common household items...that could kill you!!!"

GalaxyGal
2010-Mar-25, 12:46 AM
I'm with you Fazor, it's none of our beeswax. When did cheating stories make the transition from tabloids to being acceptable for network news?

My guess is the tide turned during the presidential bid of Gary Hart and his infamous rendezvous with Donna Rice on the aptly named "Monkey Business."

blueshift
2010-Mar-25, 03:41 AM
I'm not going to defend or admonish these people. My question is, since when is it anyone else's business? Not just that, but since when is it breaking, world-wide news?

I just cannot fathom why anyone cares; though I often wonder if as many people really do care as the news seems to think they do.

Though Tara had a good point the other night, when they were talking to one of Tiger's "lovers", and sobbingly she said, "I'd be happy with just a telephone apology from Tiger!" *sob sob sob*

Apologize for what, exactly? She knew he was married, and that she was "the other woman", even if she didn't know she was the "other, other, other, other woman". To me it all comes off as a sickening display of "first, I got what I wanted in sleeping with a celebrity, now I want everyone to feel sorry for me so I can get all the attention I also want. Lastly, I want a book deal and my own reality tv show."

Bah humbug. I'm almost starting to miss news stories about "ghostly spheres showing up on security cameras" and "common household items...that could kill you!!!"Times have really changed. It wasn't until after Mickey Mantle died that I ever knew that he had children or even married. It was none of my business then and it's none of mine now. I forgot which baseball player said it years ago to a sportswriter," You can write anything you want about me. I aint gonna read it anyway."

btw- I found match.com to be a ripoff. They tried double charging me twice so I left them. The forums at datehookup.com have some real mud slinging for those who want to let off a little steam at the opposite gender.

closetgeek
2010-Mar-25, 12:31 PM
*breaking news*

This just in: women are born with body hair.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Fazor
2010-Mar-25, 01:56 PM
You know what's better than utterly random rants? Utterly random PANTS! . . . well, really it just rhymes, and the phrase "Random pants" makes me smile. Sounds like a Beck lyric.

rommel543
2010-Mar-25, 04:15 PM
The random ants go marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah
The random ants go marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah
The random ants go marching one by one,
The little one stops to suck his thumb
And they all go marching down around the town
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

MAPNUT
2010-Mar-25, 04:23 PM
Back to rants. Some time in the past year, all automakers advertising in the USA agreed to quote only highway gasoline mileage in their ads. Some state that it's highway mileage and some don't. Deceptive! How can it be legal?!

blueshift
2010-Mar-26, 01:01 AM
Back to rants. Some time in the past year, all automakers advertising in the USA agreed to quote only highway gasoline mileage in their ads. Some state that it's highway mileage and some don't. Deceptive! How can it be legal?!

Better still, why doesn't Detroit design vehilces so we can work on them like we used to?
I would have to disconnect the engine from the mounts and jack it up in order to get at my S-10 pickup's plugs. The fuel pumps are now housed in the gas tanks. Not impossible to get at if one has a big enough garage and takes off the whole bed of the truck. Years ago they were located right under the hood. I guess they must feel threatened by Saturday mechanics.

closetgeek
2010-Mar-26, 08:18 PM
Blueshift, I am so with you. Not that there is much I could have done under the hood before, but at least I could identify different parts. I need the manual just to find the windshield wiper fluid container.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Apr-21, 02:56 PM
This all started about a week ago Monday. I agreed to delivery some posters and brochures for the MS society, they said the package would arrive last Monday but they did not arrive until Tuesday afternoon and after a couple calls and e-mails I got the extension until yesterday. On Wednesday I got an income tax refund check, so I took to the bank and put in the bank through the ATM. Now here is an unexpected part they put I six business day hold on the check because it was done through and ATM and a large check. I did not find this out until I was in Saint John on Friday to pick-up a copy of Windows 7. I did get enough money for Windows 7 and a gift for my nieces birthday. And even today there is hold on my account and owe a garage $20 because I locked myself out of my car yesterday.

Fazor
2010-Apr-21, 03:04 PM
I've heard that same complaint from others David, and it doesn't make any sense to me. Sure it's common practice for a bank to only make available a certain limit immediately upon deposit (usually $100, in my experience) then hold the rest for the check to clear. But the time it takes to clear a check should be the same regardless of the amount (okay, maybe not for some extremely high amount). And a few years ago they changed the process so that all checks clear electronically.

It was something that we had to pay close attention to as a business that excepts checks; in the past if someone paid in check, they could know that between the delay in deposit and the time to clear, it wouldn't hit their account for 3-4 days typically. Sometimes longer. Now it's next-day. So why is it, then, that when it's a check going in to your account, they can still take a week or more to do it?

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Apr-21, 03:07 PM
well the original amount the allowed me was $200 then got it raised a bit more over the phone. I will headed to my branch to get at least the $20 by this afternoon. I can see a couple days but six days a little much.

Fazor
2010-Apr-21, 03:15 PM
Since this is a random rant thread, I'll rant about how Tara's (old) bank handled normal deposits. Like most people, she gets paid on Fridays. Her boss pays weekly, so her paychecks aren't that big. Well, she went out for lunch one Friday and forgot she had bought gas or some such, so she over drafted her account by $5 or so. But after work, she deposited her paycheck. Granted with the understanding that deposits made past 3:00 or so don't get credited until the next business day. It was annoying, knowing they'd rack up over-draft fees for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, but she knew it was her fault for overdrafting and accepted it.

Well, they processed the deposit Monday, but held the check until that Thursday! On top of that, even though it was deposited on the prior Friday, they charged over draft fees for Monday, Tue, Wed, and Thursday. The week's worth of overdraft fees were so high that it went beyond her paycheck amount, and left the account over drafted. She didn't find that out until after she deposited her next week's paycheck, which they again held for six days and then turned around and charged her late fees for the entire week, eating up that whole check.

By that point, they had kept two weeks worth of pay from her entirely in fees. When she complained, they said "oh, we'll try to see if they'll give you some of that money back." Which they never did. Needless to say, she promptly closed the account and took her business elsewhere.

All I can say is that I wish I could run my business that way and get away with it, but we'd be sued and have no customers.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-21, 03:38 PM
It was something that we had to pay close attention to as a business that excepts checks; in the past if someone paid in check, they could know that between the delay in deposit and the time to clear, it wouldn't hit their account for 3-4 days typically. Sometimes longer. Now it's next-day. So why is it, then, that when it's a check going in to your account, they can still take a week or more to do it?
Because the bank don't pay interest in the meantime, but can earn from having the money available.
Yet another part of the bezzle.

Kaptain K
2010-Apr-21, 05:48 PM
Because the bank don't pay interest in the meantime, but can earn from having the money available.
Yet another part of the bezzle.

When banks do it, it's called "playing the float"! :evil:
When customers do it, it's called "check kiting" and can result in jail time! :cry:

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Apr-21, 06:54 PM
Well get to the bank and unlocked the check since it was close to being unlocked anyway.

GalaxyGal
2010-Apr-22, 12:18 AM
Fazor, That's reprehensible treatment from a financial institution. Our local bank doesn't put holds on paychecks....overdraft fees are $35 a thwack....but you're only assessed that once per check or withdrawal....not each day you're overdrawn. Unfortunately, it's perfectly legal (http://www.helpwithmybank.gov/faqs/banking_overdraft.html) and there's no limit to how much banks can charge in overdraft fees.

Fazor
2010-Apr-22, 12:41 AM
. . . and there's no limit to how much banks can charge in overdraft fees.

I think that was just changed, or it's been proposed and still going through the process (I'm just a bill, on Capitol Hill?)

My bank has a daily fee, on top of the 30ish dollar initial fee (which also counts as the first day's fee), but my daily fee's only like $5 or so.

kleindoofy
2010-Apr-22, 01:48 AM
... check, ... I ... put in the bank through the ATM. ... they put I six business day hold on the check because it was done through and ATM and a large check. ...
Sorry for not bowing down to peer opinion. but check fraud is a huge problem.

Due to the totally antiquated and almost medieval system that is the paper check, clearing one can take some time. Allowing large checks to be submitted via an ATM with immediate withdrawal would be opening the flood gates for mass fraud. In the end, the losses would be paid by the customer pool, i.e. us.

Ok, six days sounds steep, especially if the same deposit over the counter during business hours would be immediate, but the ATMs are often maintained, i.e. filled and emptied, by external companies, not the employees of the local bank. They install and remove closed containers which are processed at a central unit. A check may stay in the machine for a few days before a human ever sees it.

The banks probably make sure they use the maximum delay they can to 1) reduce the fraud risk, 2) discourage customers from puting checks in ATMs, and 3) float the check if possible to earn a wee bit of interest off the delay.

I understand reason 1) and maybe 2), but 3) wouldn't be good.

Checks are more or less obsolete in Europe. Everything is done by transfer these days, and things have improved as far as speed is concerned. Some transfers are really almost immediate.

Fazor
2010-Apr-22, 02:47 AM
No one asked for immediate withdrawl of ATM-desposited checks. And while the paper checks themselves may be "antiquated", the routing and account numbers make for conveniant electronic processing. It makes sense to hold the check until the request for the money can be sent to the bank. That should be the next business day. With the account information on the check, there's no reason it can't be processed over wire.

Which it is.

So why hold a check for up to 6 days?

mugaliens
2010-Apr-22, 08:29 AM
Taxi drivers who believe the rules of the road don't apply to them. One of them nearly caused an accident, today.

GalaxyGal
2010-Apr-22, 11:30 AM
I think that was just changed, or it's been proposed and still going through the process (I'm just a bill, on Capitol Hill?)

According to the U.S. Treasury Overdraft site (http://www.helpwithmybank.gov/faqs/banking_overdraft.html#drop07) there's currently no Federal law limiting the amount of the fees, but it may be prescribed by State Law.

There are multiple bills in committee that would require transparency and consumer notification of fees, but they don't limit the amount of the fee. Details and status of the bills are available by keying in the bill number here. (http://thomas.gov) I follow a lot of legislation in my work and have found Thomas.gov invaluable.

H.R.1456 : To extend the protections of the Truth in Lending Act to overdraft protection programs and services provided by depository institutions, to require customer consent before a depository institution may initiate overdraft protection services and fees, to enhance the information made available to consumers relating to overdraft protection services and fees, to prohibit systematic manipulation in the posting of checks and other debits to a depository account for the purpose of generating overdraft protection fees, and for other purposes.

H.R.1487 : To amend the Electronic Fund Transfer Act to require notice to the consumer before any fee may be imposed by a financial institution in connection with any transaction for any overdraft protection service provided with respect to such transaction, and for other purposes.

Fazor
2010-Apr-22, 01:50 PM
Hmm. Maybe they were just talking about the possibility of limiting what banks can charge on overdraft fees. Or maybe it was other fees. I don't know. My opinion of the banks is . . . well, not appropriate for this board. So I'll leave it at that.

closetgeek
2010-Apr-22, 01:55 PM
All I can say is that I wish I could run my business that way and get away with it, but we'd be sued and have no customers.

It seems that national banks do this far more than local banks, plus, local banks tend to grant more leeway. It seems lately, I find a nice local bank that I like and within the year it gets taken over by a national one. My last bank was local and the very week they went national, they nailed me with a regulation D violation (made more than 6 transactions via internet, between checking and savings). I stayed until recently, they went too far. I made, literally a 65 cent oversight. I was getting my direct deposit the very next morning and went over by 65 cents, that's all. So they first hit me with an overdraft charge ($35), then put the the debit through, then hit me with a $30 covered against insufficient funds, fee. They wouldn't give me back either charge, either so a pack of gum that I grabbed on the grocery line, on impulse, essentially cost me $65.65. The next day, I opened an account with the bank across the street, a local one that I had been thinking about anyway. I transferred my direct deposit over, it went through last Friday, and last Sunday, I logged on to my account and I was redirected to a letter informing me that my bank has been taken over by a big national bank and they were not required to give us any warning of the impending transfer :(.

Fazor
2010-Apr-22, 02:49 PM
I'm happy with my bank; they've treated me pretty well. But they were a private Credit Union only available to employees of my company up until '08 or so. They've since gone public, and I had my teeth clenched expecting the worse, but nothing's really changed. Decent interest rates. Very few fees for anything. Great internet banking. The only drawback is that there's no branches; just the main bank which is downtown Columbus. So I can't really go in to the bank if I need to--not without having to make plans and miss work--but I've been with them almost ten years and never had a need to go into the bank.

My mortgage is through Fifth Third Bank, and I only name them so I can say that I've had less of a great experience with them, but no major problems either. At a minimum, at least their employees at the local branch are nice and helpful. My loan's through them and they've done right by it so far (only owned the home for 6 years this June), and I have a checking account through them because if I opened a checking account and had my mortgage payment auto-draft from it, it saved me like .4% on the mortgage interest rate. It's literally the only thing I use that account for.

closetgeek
2010-Apr-29, 02:32 PM
Okay, I just got back from my daughter's school talent show and how obnoxious! I understand that they had to keep it down to a reasonable time since they allowed anyone that wanted to be in the show, to perform. Each child got about a minute to perform whether it be a small chunk of a song, comedy performance, or some other talent. However, when the teaching staff had their turn to do Under The Boardwalk, they managed to find enough time to do the entire song. The finale was We Are The World, the staff had all the solo's and they cut the long ending when they had no more solos to sing. I'm sorry, whose talent show was this?

GalaxyGal
2010-Apr-30, 03:03 AM
It's road construction season again in Pennsyltucky. Our state flower, the orange traffic cone, is in full bloom. With all the cones, barricades and flashing arrows, I'm amazed at the drivers who seem surprised that "MERGE" applies to them.

On a related note, I'm also annoyed by drivers who won't allow other cars to merge.

Fazor
2010-Apr-30, 11:58 AM
It's road construction season again in Pennsyltucky. Our state flower, the orange traffic cone, is in full bloom. With all the cones, barricades and flashing arrows, I'm amazed at the drivers who seem surprised that "MERGE" applies to them.

On a related note, I'm also annoyed by drivers who won't allow other cars to merge.
Bah, I noticed that yesterday; I was on a single-lane road that then splits to two lanes, so at the split I started to go into the right lane when I noticed about 100 yards ahead, that lane was closed off with cones for construction, with insructions to merge back left. So before ever even leaving the left lane, I decided to just stay put. Why get over just to merge back?

Apparentlly the woman behind me doesn't bother looking more than a car-length or two ahead. She got over and was slowly overtaking me on the right, then at the last minute, noticed the merge, gunned it, and cut me off so she could get back over. I love other drivers! At least she moved up ahead of a single car that was already traveling at +/- 2mph her speed, so I'm sure she got wherever she was going soo much quicker, which made it worth risking an accident with me or barreling into some roadworkers on the side of the road. Hrmph.

closetgeek
2010-May-03, 01:46 PM
I hate when I am the idiot on the road. I was driving back home from dropping the kids off and rather anxious to get on with my weekend. There was a big SUV in front of me (at a reasonable distance where I should have seen what was happening) that for no apparent reason, slammed on his brakes and went off to the side of the road. I was too busy eyeballing the truck and preparing to tell him he's number one as I passed him on the side of the road to notice the first response truck with lights flashing approaching in oncoming traffic. I felt like such an idiot!

GalaxyGal
2010-May-08, 02:31 AM
Services that take advantage of people. We were using our new powerwasher on our deck and our well pump stopped working. Classic attribution error - one had little to do with the other. At 1:00pm we called a service and were given a quote of $500 to even look at it and $1,600 to replace the pump + emergency labor costs. (They couldn't get to us until after 5:00 pm, it's a Friday - that's overtime pay, yadda, yadda, yadda).

Called one more service who asked us a few questions about the age of our pump, service history, etc. - would make the service call for $50 to assess and gave us much lower quote if a replacement pump was needed. Turned out - it was a corroded pressure switch - 30 minutes and $190 later, we were back to powerwashing and laundry. We don't know nuthin' about well pumps and given our attachment to running water, could have easily been taken.

DonM435
2010-May-12, 12:53 PM
. . .
My mortgage is through Fifth Third Bank,
. . .

Fifth Third. I've seen their signs, and that's a dfficult name for building trust.

It reminds me of that bumper sticker I saw that read FOUR OUT OF THREE PEOPLE HAVE TROUBLE WITH FRACTIONS.

Of course, Third Fifth sounds like a bunch of drunks.

mugaliens
2010-May-13, 01:26 AM
GalaxyGal, consider yourself lucky! A friend's well ran dry, and no amount of attempts at fixing it worked. His new well cost several thousand dollars!

GalaxyGal
2010-May-13, 02:35 AM
GalaxyGal, consider yourself lucky! A friend's well ran dry, and no amount of attempts at fixing it worked. His new well cost several thousand dollars!

We do! Our well is deep and full.....unlike our pockets.

mugaliens
2010-May-13, 09:34 AM
Rant: Commercials on Fringe which are scarier than Fringe. You know the one about the crunchy Vlassic pickles and the cat? Yeah. That one.

closetgeek
2010-May-14, 12:09 PM
For the past week, I've reorganizing my house. Needless to say, I don't go out of my way to enhance my appearance. Since a lot of this work involves heavier type labor, most of what I am wearing is loose, cool, comfortable clothing that should I ruin, I won't shed a tear. I don't exactly have oodles of clothing like that so yesterday came to a point where I thought; really, no one but my kids are going to see me so; who cares? It used to be an adorable one-piece shorts set but it was dry clean only that accidentally made it through the washer and dryer. There was a time where the shorts came to a respectable length but that time is long gone.
Long story short (too late), 4:30 snuck up on me and it was time to order the pizza, go pick up my daughter from the bus stop, come home, throw pants on, run out to the supermarket, then grab the pizza. Daughter picked up; check. Come back home, walk go back to my room, notice I left the house without my phone again, search for the $20 I found in one of my pockets...there was something else. What else was I supposed to do? If I retrace my steps back to the garage, maybe I will remember, nope still drawing a blank. Oh well, off to the store I go. In the parking lot, I get out and feel really drafty; oh yeah, put pants on. Just as I am climbing back in my car I notice a really loud hissing sound.
I actually yelled at my tire, "You couldn't wait 5 more days?" Getting new back tires is on my list of money already spent, when I get paid on Tuesday. I send a text to my boyfriend, whose still at work, to give him something to laugh about and get the, "I told you so's" out of the way.

I don't know how the newest models of the Grand Caravans are set up but apparently the spare tire storage for the 90's model Caravans were far too accessible. On the '06 model, there is a bolt on the floor between the driver and passenger seat that you spin to drop the spare from the middle of the undercarriage, which is really awesome when you are going to great lengths not to bend over a show the world your entire business. To make matters just slightly more annoying, it dawns on me that I had left the compact hydrolic jack that I just bought a month ago, at my boyfriends house. I get to use my high tech scissor jack that comes stock with the car...yippie! All the lug nuts on the tires were so tight I had to step on the tire iron with both feet just to get them to budge.
In all this time, a total of 7 people approached me; 4 men offered help and 3 women offered to call someone. Pride and my refusal to be a damsel in distress had too strong a hold on me to actually accept help, even in these extreme circumstances. For minimal exposure, I sit to place and lift the jack. With that done, I proceed to remove the nuts. The second one, for a brief second I turned the wrong way; cue know-it-all man. "Ha ha, ain't your man teach you righty tighty, lefty loosey? You gonna wanna drop the car before you loosen the nuts." I really don't know what annoyed me more; the silly girl tone he took with me, assuming I actually need a man to teach me how to change a tire, the fact that he is always around to catch me making a stupid (typical woman) mistake (not that specific guy but always that type), or the fact that his communication skills were worse than that of a 4yr old. A funny thought creeped into my head, which is why I felt compelled to share this story in the first place. Gillianren, have you ever been to Florida? I just wondered how long before the poor language ejucashun would have you in a straight jacket.

With the flat tire off I walk over, grab the spare, hear boyfriend pulling up and look up for a second and drop the spare on my good foot. "Why didn't you wait for me?"
"I had no idea you would make it here that fast." He moves in to help, "Well there's no point in both of us getting dirty. Since you are still clean, why don't you go into the store and grab what I need then pick up the pizza?"
"I am not going to stand here while my girlfriend changes the tire."
"You won't be standing here, you will be getting the stuff I need."
"There is a bathroom in the store you can clean yourself off in, you know."
"Is it really this complicated? I appreciate you coming to my rescue but I am covered in brake dust, you are not. My leg is sweaty, the prosthetic is slipping, and I am going to have to walk like a gimp to the bathroom and hope that it doesn't slip off in the process. This is pretty much done, if you want to help, help by doing the remaining tasks for me."
One good thing came of this whole thing; Where-as I typically only see him on Tuesdays (NCIS night) and weekends, I got to spend a Thursday with him. All's well that ends well.

LaurelHS
2010-May-17, 04:57 AM
Recently I have read several space-related questions on Yahoo Answers where the asker said that they looked all over the Internet and couldn't find the information they wanted. One of them actually whined that "NASA won't tell [him]" what he wants to know. The questions involved who the first five people on the Moon were, what the landing bag on the Mercury spacecraft was supposed to do, how long the manned Skylab missions were, and when the most recent flight of the Space Shuttle Discovery took place. Of course a quick Google search will reveal all of this information, so it's clear that these people did not look all over the Internet. If you don't want to do research, fine, but don't fib and say that you did.

closetgeek
2010-May-19, 10:53 AM
Seriously, the biggest downfall to living in Fl, Love Bugs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug). They only swarm for a few weeks out of the year but yesterday, my patio looked like the third picture down. Having three kids means my doors are constantly open. This morning I woke to find them all over my floor, throughout the house.

DonM435
2010-May-19, 01:08 PM
I drove home through veritable clouds of the things yesterday. The sound of them squishing on the windshield was almost like clockwork. They were all over my front door as well this a.m.

GalaxyGal
2010-May-19, 10:57 PM
Colleagues more interested in getting credit than getting the job done. I also don't do well with 'kiss up - kick down' types. Rough day.....

Buttercup
2010-Aug-07, 01:08 PM
This is one time I wish we could use swear words at BAUT. :)

Long story short, I work in my home over the internet on a production-pay basis (with benefits package). Company instituted an electronic timeclock 5 years ago, as a measure to ensure people were punching in/out as per schedule. But it wasn't enforced beyond that. Well, apparently enough people have been working while NOT on the clock or fibbing as to what hours actually worked, so now (as of Monday the 2nd) the timeclock is being strictly enforced to included "flexing." Flexing means you must punch out if there is absolutely no work.

Prior to this, the doctors were providing streams of uninterrupted work. Now, as an irritating (and hopefully temporary) coincidence, all week the workload has been painfully sporadic. I've just now punched in and out a duration of 3 measley minutes to complete 1 short report. Must keep track of minutes accrued for a total of 8 hours by day's end.

If the workload were consistently there this wouldn't be a hassle. Work 2-3 hours straight? No problem. But all week the work's been sporadic, and it's been like playing musical chairs with this stupid timeclock. :mad:

geonuc
2010-Aug-07, 01:16 PM
Well, that's a pain, Buttercup.

Hlafordlaes
2010-Aug-07, 08:07 PM
Told a little story but decided it was slightly un-BAUT-like, so nixed it.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Aug-19, 10:05 PM
Last night only got about 3 hours sleep. Got up about 6 and had a coffee and ham and tomato sandwich. Laid down fall back to sleep, woke up to the sand of a chainsaw. It was the guy to cut up our firewood, went out helped him for couple of hours. But now I still can't sleep I hate this feeling of wanting to sleep but just can't sleep.

darkhunter
2010-Aug-20, 01:16 PM
Getting the answer to a different question than what I asked--that makes me think they're tap dancing around the issue or not listening to the question....

Getting a detailed eplanation to a yes/no question (especialy at work dealing with my primary duty)--when I ask that sort of question, that's all I need because everything else is already sorted.

People riding their bikes and ignoring traffic laws (like stop signs)--I've lost track of howmany I've almost hit because they blew right through a stop sign.

Fazor
2010-Aug-20, 02:02 PM
People riding their bikes and ignoring traffic laws (like stop signs)--I've lost track of howmany I've almost hit because they blew right through a stop sign.

Yes! That happens all the time around here too. And the worst part is, it's not the kids who are the worst (though they certainly have their "oops!" moments), but the adults on bikes . . . too many people here 'know' "pedestrians have right-of-way", which is one of those things that's true but not the way people think it's true. They all take it to mean that they can do whatever they want and cars just have to yield. Even if for a car to yield it has to defy the laws of physics.

Stop signs? I'm not a car! At a four-way stop it's annoying. But on my drive home, which is all through crowded residential old-town roads (i.e., houses ontop of each other, right up on the road, no parking so cars line the streets on both sides), there's two intersections I go through that are two-way stops on the cross-street. Which means I don't have a stop. Which means someone pedaling like hell to get to the store to buy their 'Busch' beer (they always seem to have a case under one arm) will not be visible to me as I'm entering the intersection.

And if the worse were to happen, I'm not going to be the one, in my 1500 lb car, to take the brunt of the damage. *shrug*

. . . and, even in situations where the pedestrian really does have right-of-way, shouldn't they want to take due care to make sure that it's safe? I mean, if I were a pedestrian, it wouldn't mean much to me to know it was the other guy's fault that I was crippled or killed.

megrfl
2010-Aug-20, 03:41 PM
Tuesday, I stopped by my sons pediatrician's office to request a copy of his last physical which is required by the school to be within 6 months of schools official start date. I think that makes sense. Anyway, I asked the gal behind the counter if she could give me a copy of my sons last physical, and she replied that it would take 24 to 48 hours to process. Okay? I asked if she could check the date of his last physical for me then because if it hasn't been, blah, blah, I need to schedule a physical for him.

So the gal proceeds to pull his chart, opens it up and finds his last physical, it's within the time frame, great. She tapes a "copy request form" to the chart and told me they will call when it's ready to be picked up. All the while there is a copier not three feet behind her...

How ridiculous is that?

New rule: Call first, all the time, every time.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Aug-20, 03:44 PM
How ridiculous is that?
I suspect the processing is to make sure you're authorized to receive a copy.

megrfl
2010-Aug-20, 03:51 PM
Possibly and that would be a good thing, but I would have provided my ID post haste if requested.

Buttercup
2010-Aug-24, 01:33 PM
Wasted education? My sister-in-law graduated last autumn with a Bachelors Degree in education. She's in her late 40s btw (not a "clueless kid"). Now she doesn't want to be a teacher. It's too much of a hassle, she doesn't want to be babysitter and surrogate mom to all those kids. Even 2 years ago she'd mentioned she'd rather be married (again) and a homemaker. Nothing wrong with being a homemaker, but why put all the time/effort into a 4-year degree and then balk and make excuses at actually USING it? :confused: I doubt she's going to find a man who's content and willing to let that Bachelors Degree sit idly in a drawer while he's out hoofing it to pay the bills. She's upset with her grown children for dragging their feet regarding completing college...well? She also says she "learned a lot" about personal self control (temper) and how to speak more effectively at college; that's great. But she could have learned the same via self-help books or self-improvement seminars.

I sure hope she bucks up and decides to APPLY her education. Sheesh...

Fazor
2010-Aug-24, 02:21 PM
I sure hope she bucks up and decides to APPLY her education. Sheesh...
I'm a firm believer that the area of one's degree (or a lack of degree, but that's unrelated to this post) is not necessarily as important as the completion of the program itself. If she really wants to do something, she can have a valid argument about what she "learned about herself" in college. I know I learned more about rational thinking (believe it or not), communication, and the 'work environment' than I did about any particular subject.

Now maybe I'm biased because my degree (hey, my diploma just arrived last week, so now it's "officially" over!) is in a field that, well, really doesn't help me do anything. And my year of college before I transferred is in a field that really really doesn't help me (animation.) But I'd like to think that just because I don't work in either of the fields I studied in, my school wasn't a waste. In fact, comparing my skills and abilities before college to what they are now, I know it wasn't.

Now, if your sister is just making excuses, then bah on her.

Buttercup
2010-Aug-24, 03:13 PM
Now maybe I'm biased because my degree (hey, my diploma just arrived last week, so now it's "officially" over!)

Congrats. :)

Now, if your sister is just making excuses, then bah on her.

I dislike sounding harsh, but that is what it seems: Excuses. When she'd finished her Associates, she'd already mentioned preferring to be a housewife regardless. :confused: I don't believe education is ever wasted, but I'm wondering what exactly the point was with her going yet an additional 2 years. It seems to me she simply wanted to "kick back and enjoy the college life." Which is fine in and of itself I suppose. But now she doesn't want to apply her education; just let the degree sit in a drawer or her closet. :confused:

To my way of thinking (business college grad), the ultimate point of all that time, $$ and effort is to apply one's learning in a chosen field of employment. Actively. Continuously.

It boggles me that she's there with a Bachelors Degree wanting to find Mr. Right (again), bake, dust, cook, never have to work outside her home again. If she can get that, kudos; I'd be happy for her. But again, the "self improvement" stuff she learned via her years at college could likely have been gotten from Barnes & Noble.

I just don't understand it.

Fazor
2010-Aug-24, 03:33 PM
Hmm. I may have made this rant already, but since this is the rant thread, and you got me on the topic of education . . . My typical rant on the whole College thing is against the people who are going to school for the sole purpose of getting government grants to pay for their living expenses. We have a few people like that as clients -- people in their 40's who are given a few thousand dollars each quarter in excess of their class/tuition costs to cover things like books and 'living expenses' (such as a dorm, if you're a normal college student.) They skate by with the minimum grades and attendance, and always pick up extra classes and extend their 4 year program as long as they can for the sole purpose of having these grants pay for their food (beer) and a place to live.

They don't care about the education, and after school will go back to collecting their unemployment or social security or whatever program they're living on. In the mean time, they're soaking up all sorts of money that actual people in need could be using to get an education that would really be put to use.

I had plenty of fellow students when I was in school who were like that as well. And yes, there were plenty on such programs that were using it how it was intended, which I have no problem with. I just get tired of people being handed a free ride and then totally taking advantage of it/wasting it.

Hell, I could do some real damage to society with a science degree. Where's my money to live off of while I go back to school?! :)

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Aug-24, 03:46 PM
I actually wished I finished my degree. But if I stayed it meant dealing with an individual who tried to turn the entire department against me and when you don't have many or any outside friends it can be rough. Most of it was of it was over a woman (actually two). At the time I nicknamed the Newf but after I left I changed to Satans' evil brother because he was not just happy to get rid of me, I think he called my mother and convinced her of some of the stuff he was spreading around. I could of just change departments but there wasn't anything else I wanted to study.

LaurelHS
2010-Aug-27, 09:30 PM
I went to the library this afternoon to browse the used-book shelves, bent down to look at a lower shelf, and a guy who was carelessly pulling books off the shelf dropped one on the floor right next to me, then he dropped two more books and one of them hit the back of my neck. Did he apologize or ask if I was okay? No, he started laughing at me instead. I am okay (it only hurt for a minute), but I'm upset about someone being this rude. What's wrong with some people?

darkhunter
2010-Aug-28, 05:11 PM
I don't get to Boise, Idaho, a lot, But there are times when I'm in the eastrn side of the city its seems like they just threw a mess of spaghetti on the floor and said "OK, here's our map". It also doesn't help that they change the names of all the east-west strrets halfway through town, and the city center is a web of one-way streets....

vonmazur
2010-Aug-29, 04:05 AM
I've heard that same complaint from others David, and it doesn't make any sense to me. Sure it's common practice for a bank to only make available a certain limit immediately upon deposit (usually $100, in my experience) then hold the rest for the check to clear. But the time it takes to clear a check should be the same regardless of the amount (okay, maybe not for some extremely high amount). And a few years ago they changed the process so that all checks clear electronically.

Fazor: That was when they grounded all flights after 911...There were plenty of pilots who flew all night with bags of cancelled checks stuffed into their planes.

IIRC; The gova-mint decided to allow electronic check returns and reduce the flights...or it is some kind of plot, go figure!

Dale

closetgeek
2010-Aug-31, 01:48 AM
Has anyone else noticed an increase in rudeness lately? I can't quite explain it and don't know if it's just a local thing but it feels as though more people are walking around just plain angry. It's nothing outrageous, really but little things occuring throughout the day; a person with a full shopping cart racing to jump in front of you when you are carrying two items and the refusal to make eye contact, as though pretending you aren't there makes it okay. The one that keeps repeating me was a moment in the parking lot. I pulled into a parkinglot, and the first isle I picked had an open spot. I would have pulled in sooner but there was a pedestrian strolling along, kind of blocking my lane of traffic but seriously, I wasn't feeling a sense of urgency. I was just sort of following him with my blinker on. This elderly couple turns down the lane on the opposite end, sees the spot and accelerates to beat me to it, nearly clipping the pedestrian in the race park. It's just a spot, I know but there was absolutely no reason for it. It's not like the parkinglot was overflowing. It wasn't even the best spot available, it was just the first open spot I saw. Seriously, when I saw how slowly they moved in the store, if I somehow had that knowledge ahead of time, I would have given them he spot. It's this aggressive, Christmas shopping feel that I've been picking up, everywhere I go.

Last night, my SO and I went to Publix to grab a couple of sandwiches from the deli. I made one tiny little special request, all I asked was that he put the oil and vinager on the bread (I said please) and you would have thought I asked the guy to slaughter the animal for fresh meat. He literally slammed the cheese on my bread, one on top of the other so half the sandwich was without cheese and then when he was done making it, he threw my sandwich onto the scale. We laughed at it as we were walking away but then, when we were heading back to the car, this guy blows through the stop sign before the pedestrian crosswalk right in front of the store, doing about 30mph. Seriously dude, you are going to kill someone flying through a parkinglot like that. I don't know, maybe I am just being sensitive but has anyone elsewhere noticed a change in attitude?

vonmazur
2010-Aug-31, 04:15 AM
closetgeek: I have noticed this too, but I am suspicious of my own subjectivity on this, so I have to resort to the HAARP causing it...:)

It seems that the temperture has something to do with it, according to some sources anyhow....When it is really hot and humid, no one wants to exert themselves, but if it is slightly cooler, they seem to want to fight.....

Dale

Donnie B.
2010-Aug-31, 10:04 PM
Hey you kids... get offa my lawn!

Seriously, though, I haven't noticed any significant trends. Except that in the NFL preseason games, at least one player seems to lose his helmet every third or fourth play. What's up with that?

Buttercup
2010-Sep-08, 04:45 PM
Annoyed with my sis-in-law (the recent BA in Education) again. Now she's deliberately sabotaging full-time teaching job prospects (not that there are many available) because of her preplanned vacation to Israel in March 2011. As if she doesn't actually need secure full-time employment, better financial security and benefits (health insurance). NOW she's saying she wants to go from part time to full time employment in a psych unit at a big hospital, which job she's had 4 years and always hated. And while going to college complained she had to take orders from nurses with "only" Associates Degrees while she was earning a Bachelors (in Education).

I give up.

Fortunately she's self-sufficient and doesn't ask us for money.

But I am truly miffed with her. :mad:

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Sep-08, 05:33 PM
I don't really want to start a new thread about this so I will put it here.

I went downstairs to get a can of coke and I noticed something in the beams, it was a bird. It flew around until it found my sisters room. Eventually, while it was trying to fly out of bow window I got onto a small shovel and covered it with an old jacket and took it to a window and let out.

LaurelHS
2010-Sep-10, 06:59 PM
Why does my dentist's office need to call me twice in two days to remind me about my appointments next week? They left me a voice mail message yesterday, then they called again this morning and woke me up. I told them politely that I was already aware of my appointments since they had left me a message yesterday. And it's not like I've been an irresponsible patient either; I've shown up on time for all my appointments with them.

chrissy
2010-Sep-10, 07:36 PM
I have had something similar, I got a phone call last week about a meeting which will be held on the 21st of this month and again today I received the same call again. I am still awaiting the minutes and the agenda from the previous call and as promised again to me today I will get them. :(

LaurelHS
2010-Sep-11, 01:11 AM
Update, they left me another voice mail this afternoon. What part of "I know I have an appointment on Monday and another one on Tuesday" did they not understand this morning? :rolleyes:

HenrikOlsen
2010-Sep-11, 02:36 PM
You're both suffering from the consequences of other people's failures.

Tobin Dax
2010-Sep-11, 08:25 PM
Now maybe I'm biased because my degree (hey, my diploma just arrived last week, so now it's "officially" over!) . . . .

I was offline for most of August and missed this until today. Congrats, Fazor!

Graybeard6
2010-Sep-17, 05:32 AM
I'm on supplemental oxygen 24/7. As long as I'm not doing anything physical, a minimum flow is just fine, but even with my portable turned up to max, I can only do about 75 ft. without resting for about five minutes. As a result, I have to use a wheel chair to go out. We picked out a very light one that my wife can easily put in and out of the trunk. It's a transport version (four small wheels, titanium, candy apple red) and we cope just fine.
However, I've noticed that some people assume that sitting in a wheel chair makes you deaf, retarded or both. We'll go to a restaurant and the hostess will ask the pusher, "Can he use a chair, or does he want to stay in his wheel chair?" I try to be cool, but it really ticks me off, and sometimes I'll snap and get really sarcastic. I may get to the point where I don't need the chair, but if not, I don't want to turn into a grouchy old man.
(End of rant.)

Atraveller
2010-Sep-17, 06:19 AM
However, I've noticed that some people assume that sitting in a wheel chair makes you deaf, retarded or both. We'll go to a restaurant and the hostess will ask the pusher, "Can he use a chair, or does he want to stay in his wheel chair?" I try to be cool, but it really ticks me off, and sometimes I'll snap and get really sarcastic. I may get to the point where I don't need the chair, but if not, I don't want to turn into a grouchy old man.
(End of rant.)

My Father was a manager at a company that employed a high percentage of disabled adults - many of whom used a wheel chair. As a management training exercise, all the managers at the company did a "what it was like..." orientation day. For the entire day, the management team had to use a wheel chair - and do all the things you would normally do, ie go shopping, go for lunch, etc.

The one comment my dad made after the exercise was he didn't realize how a wheel chair makes you invisible. No one talks to a person in a wheel chair, no one looks at a person in a wheel chair. Wait staff won't serve you, store staff won't help you... If you have a helper, even if you ask the question, the answer will be addressed to your helper.

I have tried to keep that in mind and act differntly when ever I see a person in a wheel chair.

closetgeek
2010-Sep-17, 11:46 AM
I'm on supplemental oxygen 24/7. As long as I'm not doing anything physical, a minimum flow is just fine, but even with my portable turned up to max, I can only do about 75 ft. without resting for about five minutes. As a result, I have to use a wheel chair to go out. We picked out a very light one that my wife can easily put in and out of the trunk. It's a transport version (four small wheels, titanium, candy apple red) and we cope just fine.
(End of rant.)

Graybeard6, is it possible that they don't know if you can talk while using the supplemental oxygen? I am sorry, but I don't know the medical names for the equipment but is yours a mask or a tube in the nose? I am not saying that you shouldn't be frustrated and it's not fair to always have to be understanding to the behavior of others. Maybe, knowing why they are doing what they are doing can help ease your frustration.

My Father was a manager at a company that employed a high percentage of disabled adults - many of whom used a wheel chair. As a management training exercise, all the managers at the company did a "what it was like..." orientation day. For the entire day, the management team had to use a wheel chair - and do all the things you would normally do, ie go shopping, go for lunch, etc.

The one comment my dad made after the exercise was he didn't realize how a wheel chair makes you invisible. No one talks to a person in a wheel chair, no one looks at a person in a wheel chair. Wait staff won't serve you, store staff won't help you... If you have a helper, even if you ask the question, the answer will be addressed to your helper.

I have tried to keep that in mind and act differntly when ever I see a person in a wheel chair.

That is just sad.

Buttercup
2010-Oct-06, 02:27 PM
I thought our telephone (land line) plan was unlimited long-distance calls at a flat rate, but apparently not. Something has changed and we're going to find out what. This month's phone bill, my portion of it, has taken a real bite out of the budget! :mad:

If I'd known, would NOT have made those calls.

If I ever hear, in person, with my own ears, a wealthy person complain about life or money doesn't buy you happiness, I am going to strangle them...

Buttercup
2010-Oct-06, 02:58 PM
And I'm also mad at G---. :mad: He's a very handsome and athletic man at my husband's church who's just let on that he finds me attractive; yes, he hit on me. :confused: And he's wanting to pursue.

The last thing I need is serious temptation -- especially when it's this man. :(

Buttercup
2010-Oct-06, 06:01 PM
And I wish my sister-in-law would find a husband.

She needs one.

korjik
2010-Oct-06, 06:12 PM
And I wish my sister-in-law would find a husband.

She needs one.

Seems like you have a problem and a solution.....

:D

Buttercup
2010-Oct-06, 06:58 PM
Seems like you have a problem and a solution.....

:D

If you're referring to G--- (my 2nd post in this thread today), he's married. My sis-in-law wouldn't want to "date" him.

It's just one of those days. Years. Lives. :(

Buttercup
2010-Oct-07, 04:00 PM
Usually I'm very good natured but these past 2 days have been an exception.

Last evening we (husband/I) went to his church dinner. An older lady is there, a visitor (so am I), who apparently has zero qualms about demanding hospitality. This isn't a 5 Star restaurant, but you'd think it should be if her attitude was any indication. There's no mayo for the hot dogs? Well all right then, she'll use Ranch dressing. Oh! Out of salad already? Well why don't I (meaning me) go get some more for us? Then she's noticing there is no sugar on the table, packets nor dispenser. I said nothing; wasn't going to be her personal servant for the evening. Later she brought the sugar issue up to another person, who ran and got her some Splenda packets. :rolleyes:

Next time we'll sit at a different table. That way we can also avoid her whining that she couldn't divvy up a measley $3 for her meal because she's on Social Security Disability; well so is my husband, but apparently she mistook us for millionaires.

cosmocrazy
2010-Oct-07, 04:27 PM
Usually I'm very good natured but these past 2 days have been an exception.

Last evening we (husband/I) went to his church dinner. An older lady is there, a visitor (so am I), who apparently has zero qualms about demanding hospitality. This isn't a 5 Star restaurant, but you'd think it should be if her attitude was any indication. There's no mayo for the hot dogs? Well all right then, she'll use Ranch dressing. Oh! Out of salad already? Well why don't I (meaning me) go get some more for us? Then she's noticing there is no sugar on the table, packets nor dispenser. I said nothing; wasn't going to be her personal servant for the evening. Later she brought the sugar issue up to another person, who ran and got her some Splenda packets. :rolleyes:

Next time we'll sit at a different table. That way we can also avoid her whining that she couldn't divvy up a measly $3 for her meal because she's on Social Security Disability; well so is my husband, but apparently she mistook us for millionaires.

Sounds like she has a chip on her shoulder! fetch the ketchup quick smart BC! :lol:
I meet people like this all the time, I think they have issues with life and feel they are owed a living. Perhaps feeling life has dealt them an unfair deal! :(

Buttercup
2010-Oct-07, 05:05 PM
Sounds like she has a chip on her shoulder! fetch the ketchup quick smart BC! :lol:
I meet people like this all the time, I think they have issues with life and feel they are owed a living. Perhaps feeling life has dealt them an unfair deal! :(

That might be the case with her, though I'm always puzzled at people who get a freebie and then become demanding about it. Is that some weird manifestation of guilt or inadequacy?

In this lady's case, it might be (seriously) that she did too many drugs in the 1960s. Told me that Halloween is on a Sunday this year, and she'll be coming to church in a crocodile costume. :confused:

Whatever trips her trigger. ::shrugs::

danscope
2010-Oct-07, 10:30 PM
Let's face it; " The Lady ain't got no culture " . People like that have a narrow social calendar . Hmmmm........

cosmocrazy
2010-Oct-09, 09:34 AM
There you go then, it'll be the drugs!

For any lurking kids out there, you may think taking drugs is big and clever now but when ya older the after effects make you weird!

danscope
2010-Oct-10, 12:15 AM
"Want to see something truly great? Look through here ...... it's Saturn ! "

closetgeek
2010-Oct-11, 04:47 PM
So I had this incident with my boyfriend on Friday night. Without getting into details, it was basically one of those big issues that made us wonder if it was worth taking things any further. He ended up leaving after the discussion because we decided that we needed time to think. It turned into a text fight. We both said a few things and then I got vindictive, he didn't answer me for a while and then I hear my phone going off again. I went running in hoping it was him asking to come back but no, it was a friend texting to find out if my daughter was still babysitting for her and that her son was selling bins of popcorn for a fundraiser. I responded by telling her that yes I would drop her off and I would get back to her about the popcorn. Sitting out back, chain smoking and crying, still waiting to hear from him, my doorbell rings. My heart jumps, it's him! Who else would it be? No, it's her, still trying to sell that popcorn. I sent my son to tell her that I can't right now.

Hours later, we've progressed into an e-mail (I avoid verbal exchanges when I am upset because I am less likely to say things I can't take back) exchange and in the heat of the moment, I tell him to take a hike. Satisfied that I've made my point clear, I hit send, take two steps away from the computer, and like a bucket of ice water washing over me, I realize what I just said. Now I am pacing my room, obsessively checking my e-mail and he isn't answering. The kids have long since, gone to sleep and I've given up waiting to hear from him. I took some nyquil and tried to sleep. Just as I was dozing off, I could swear I heard a car in the driveway. I raised my head to listen close and my phone goes off again. It's him! He drove over here to talk...no, it's her telling me that she's in the driveway, to send out my daughter to grab the popcorn and I could pay her on Monday. "Oh for pity's sake woman, I don't want your bleeping popcorn!" Well, that's what I wanted to say, what I actually said was, "she is sleeping and please understand that it's just a bad night here."

The weekend actually turned out to be magnificent, considering such a lousy start. I spoke to her on Sunday night and explained to her the situation but I just thought it was funny; It feels like my life is falling apart and she's stalking me over a bin of popcorn.

danscope
2010-Oct-11, 10:01 PM
Popcorn is a shared experience.

Buttercup
2010-Oct-13, 02:43 PM
closetgeek, I read your post.

Here's my latest: I'm mad a G---. He's one of the most handsome men I've seen in real life; an acquaintance of my husband's. Had certainly noticed G--- before, but it seemed he didn't know I existed (turns out otherwise). I've been drawn further into the social circle and G--- recently hit on me. Unmistakable. I had no previous idea that he apparently finds me very attractive. Stunned me actually, because this man is "polo player/doctor" handsome. I felt like the peasant girl who'd been unexpectedly swept up by the handsome dashing Prince who's just galloped into the village. He wants to keep flirting. I have no idea how far this could go, and won't find out.

I just did NOT need this. :(

What can I do? No, can't and won't do that.

He's put this on me, and in the past month I'm scrambling around to forget and avoid versus thinking about him. :( If we'd both been single, that very moment he made the advance I'd have fallen in love with him. And he's pursuing.

Wish he'd not let on.

ABR.
2010-Oct-13, 03:30 PM
Popcorn is a shared experience.

Only if you're willing to risk losing that hand....

danscope
2010-Oct-13, 06:45 PM
Ah.... yes . The phrase ....." MY popcorn !!!! " comes to mind. So........ make enough! :)

Dan

closetgeek
2010-Oct-13, 09:38 PM
closetgeek, I read your post.

Here's my latest: I'm mad a G---. He's one of the most handsome men I've seen in real life; an acquaintance of my husband's. Had certainly noticed G--- before, but it seemed he didn't know I existed (turns out otherwise). I've been drawn further into the social circle and G--- recently hit on me. Unmistakable. I had no previous idea that he apparently finds me very attractive. Stunned me actually, because this man is "polo player/doctor" handsome. I felt like the peasant girl who'd been unexpectedly swept up by the handsome dashing Prince who's just galloped into the village. He wants to keep flirting. I have no idea how far this could go, and won't find out.

I just did NOT need this. :(

What can I do? No, can't and won't do that.

He's put this on me, and in the past month I'm scrambling around to forget and avoid versus thinking about him. :( If we'd both been single, that very moment he made the advance I'd have fallen in love with him. And he's pursuing.

Wish he'd not let on.

Take the compliment, avoid the situation like the plague.

danscope
2010-Oct-14, 03:01 AM
Anyone who does not recognize... or respect a wedding ring does not have any redeemable character. No question. Nuff said.

Tobin Dax
2010-Oct-14, 03:08 AM
"Want to see something truly great? Look through here ...... it's Saturn ! "

Good rant.

danscope
2010-Oct-14, 03:49 AM
Thankyou, Tobin Dax .
Clear skies .
Dan

closetgeek
2010-Oct-14, 10:58 AM
Anyone who does not recognize... or respect a wedding ring does not have any redeemable character. No question. Nuff said.

You are very correct. The difficult part is, he's already got her mind going. It's not so easy to see or think clearly when you are in the situation. The mind has a funny way of justifying what it wants and blocking out what it doesn't want.

Buttercup
2010-Oct-14, 01:16 PM
Take the compliment, avoid the situation like the plague.

Indeed. Thanks to all who replied.

Fortunately my husband is always there (though often he's socializing in another room or helping elsewhere on the grounds). But G---'s wife is seldom present. I'm avoiding eye contact, and sit with my back to him when possible. Can't always politely ignore him, but do when able. This man is handsome enough to have the most beautiful woman in this small city on his arm, so I have no idea why he finds me attractive (pretty, but not beautiful); but I'm not going to try and figure it out.

To the friend who sent a PM, I'll read/respond in a moment. :)

cosmocrazy
2010-Oct-14, 04:12 PM
Indeed. Thanks to all who replied.

Fortunately my husband is always there (though often he's socializing in another room or helping elsewhere on the grounds). But G---'s wife is seldom present. I'm avoiding eye contact, and sit with my back to him when possible. Can't always politely ignore him, but do when able. This man is handsome enough to have the most beautiful woman in this small city on his arm, so I have no idea why he finds me attractive (pretty, but not beautiful); but I'm not going to try and figure it out.

To the friend who sent a PM, I'll read/respond in a moment. :)

Don't sell yourself so short! Attraction is not always about how beautiful person is physically (not that i'm saying you are not so) but obviously you have that something that is very attractive. The question is what are his true intentions? Take a side step and look at the big picture. You are both married, probably taking each other for granted (in both couples case) a little bit of flirting and excitement gets the blood flowing and the adrenalin goin. The attention makes you feel good and inevitably you want more. What you have to ask yourself is where would it all eventually lead?
In the mean time I'd enjoy the attention and the feel good factor and channel the energy it creates into your marriage. :)

cosmocrazy
2010-Oct-14, 04:15 PM
The mind has a funny way of justifying what it wants and blocking out what it doesn't want.

This is so true and applies to many situations in life. I have been witness and victim to this many times!

HenrikOlsen
2010-Oct-14, 04:35 PM
. . . , so I have no idea why he finds me attractive (pretty, but not beautiful); but I'm not going to try and figure it out.
It might be an unconscious body language thing you're doing, if so it might actually be a really good idea to get it figured out, since if it is, it's a situation that's likely to occur again with other men if not changed.

Buttercup
2010-Oct-14, 05:18 PM
Thanks cosmo.

Henrik, I'm certain some of it is my facial expressions and voice inflections. I'm told that when I'm happy I "radiate" and have a cute sort of mischievious look about me (which is often misconstrued as flirtatious). He's not the only man who's been strongly attracted, but G--- is the only one who is a genuine temptation and I'm avoiding him; it'd be playing with fire otherwise. G--- also did not make this move until I'd officially joined my husband's club; he's a high ranking officer within it, and so perhaps feels entitled to me? I dunno. Will leave it alone and be only as cordial and polite to him as to anyone else.

Buttercup
2010-Oct-20, 02:37 PM
My mother. She's of a different Christian denomination than my husband. Husband's church is hosting "Trunk or Treat" for Halloween: People stash goodies in the trunk of their vehicle, dole the treats out to children in the church parking lot. I'll be handing out treats from our home/door. Anywho, my mother asked "Are they having a Christian theme?"

I felt like answering: "No. The minister's going to dress up like Anton LaVey and read selections from The Devil's Notebook. After a wild orgy a live goat will be sacrificed, and then barbecued..." :mad:

*sigh*

Fazor
2010-Oct-20, 02:46 PM
Somehow, handing out candy to children from the trunk of a car seems much more wrong than doing so from your home. :)

danscope
2010-Oct-22, 04:41 PM
Well, it was October 20 th . My aniversary , 37 years for my darling wife and I . It's getting to be an exclusive club .
We had maple frosted napoleons ... amoung other things , and a nice Pnot Noir; sibulant yet impudent . :)

Dan

Buttercup
2010-Oct-22, 04:49 PM
Well, it was October 20 th . My aniversary , 37 years for my darling wife and I . It's getting to be an exclusive club .
We had maple frosted napoleons ... amoung other things , and a nice Pnot Noir; sibulant yet impudent . :)

Dan

Congrats! :) Maple frosted napoleons, wow. Would like to sink my teeth into one of those!

Many more happy years to come for you and wife.

danscope
2010-Oct-22, 07:34 PM
And thank You ! We have a local dairy that is wonderfull. Some years ago, they were faced with a falling price for their milk vs cost to
produce. Hs finally decided to sell it himself. His cows produced so much excellent cream, so he decided to start a bakery and make good products from his great stuff. The business expanded, and draws customers from a 20 mile radius. The fresh products are a ledgend now.
The cakes are piled high and frosted with real whipped cream. Homemade french vanilla pastry cream fills puffs, eclairs and two different kinds of napoleans , and the Bismarks..... well you get the idea. They do a brisk business just making fresh hot spinach pies (calzones) .
Wright's Dairy will continue to flourish, I am certain. And their milk is organic and lasts longer.
It is one of our town crown jewels. :)

Best regards,
Dan

Buttercup
2010-Oct-22, 07:50 PM
And thank You ! We have a local dairy that is wonderfull. Some years ago, they were faced with a falling price for their milk vs cost to
produce. Hs finally decided to sell it himself. His cows produced so much excellent cream, so he decided to start a bakery and make good products from his great stuff. The business expanded, and draws customers from a 20 mile radius. The fresh products are a ledgend now.
The cakes are piled high and frosted with real whipped cream. Homemade french vanilla pastry cream fills puffs, eclairs and two different kinds of napoleans , and the Bismarks..... well you get the idea. They do a brisk business just making fresh hot spinach pies (calzones) .
Wright's Dairy will continue to flourish, I am certain. And their milk is organic and lasts longer.
It is one of our town crown jewels. :)

Best regards,
Dan

Wow. Definitely sounds like a place to visit!

Donnie B.
2010-Oct-22, 09:03 PM
And thank You ! We have a local dairy that is wonderfull.

This must be the place: http://www.wrightsdairyfarm.com/

It's not that far down 146 from me, I may have to stop in one of these days.

danscope
2010-Oct-23, 03:30 AM
Hi Donnie, Yes, that is the place. Not hard to find. Worth the trip. delicious things will be found within. It's particularly good.
Dan

Buttercup
2010-Oct-23, 11:36 AM
This must be the place: http://www.wrightsdairyfarm.com/

It's not that far down 146 from me, I may have to stop in one of these days.

Holy Cannoli!! :surprised (saw just the Bakery section of the web site)

You -MAY- stop in one of these days?? :confused: I'd be there THIS morning if I didn't live across the country! :lol:

On a different note: Now G--- is putting it around that I'm chasing him! :mad:

Not true. Not a good situation. :( Has me a bit worried.

danscope
2010-Oct-23, 04:17 PM
Next time you see him, hold up your left hand prominently and show him your wedding ring. Then very slowly tell him that
" See this?? This is a wedding ring. ". Say it loud enough for all to hear. This guy needs to suffer some embarrassment in a big way.
He desrves this. No one else will be surprised.

Buttercup
2010-Oct-23, 04:41 PM
Next time you see him, hold up your left hand prominently and show him your wedding ring. Then very slowly tell him that
" See this?? This is a wedding ring. ". Say it loud enough for all to hear. This guy needs to suffer some embarrassment in a big way.
He desrves this. No one else will be surprised.

I might do just that. My husband's mildly disabled from an on-the-job injury. G--- sure seems to be hoping there's an advantage to be gained therein (there's not). I'm also under the distinct impression he's laughing about me with 2 other men there, regarding what sort of a woman I am. :mad: Frankly, based on what I've seen, G---'s marriage seems troubled; I think he's projecting that onto us. So long as I stay clear of him and avoid (husband's always on the premises while I'm there), the trouble will likely pass. G--- can get bored and find someone else to pick on, or maybe wise up and fix his marriage. At first he seemed like a nice/okay sort of person. Sad when the mask slips like that...

danscope
2010-Oct-23, 05:22 PM
I've seen bad apples like that discharged. It is done with a whisper. I hope this goes away.
You will do well.
On a positive note: Danscope just celebrated 37 years of marriage!! :)
Wishing you all the best,
Dan

danscope
2010-Oct-24, 06:47 PM
Just imagine: On thursday, it will get up to 75 Degrees here ! A gift this time of year.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Oct-26, 03:10 AM
Just finished watching the first episode of Canada's worst driver 6. They bought a brand new Camaro for the show instead of using classic like they have in the past. Also they say they are going to sell it off at the end of the series. Already the number of scraps and scratches on the thing is amazing, of the front bumper has been ripped completely ripped off. What is getting to me is how cars just get destroyed on some of favorite shows, whilw I can't afford one but there is one I won't be buying even if I had the money.

closetgeek
2010-Oct-26, 10:57 AM
It might sound selfish but I'm just venting. Each year I encourage my kids to join the extracurricular activities and my youngest is quite the little joiner. The chose a musical instrument and chorus. For all my talk of practice makes perfect.../cry. Of all the choices out there, she picked recorder. That thing hurts my ears even when she hits the notes correctly! I can't wait for the Christmas performance. That sounds terrible, I know. I smile, cheer, tell my other two to deal with it during her practice time; I promise, this is our secret.

danscope
2010-Oct-26, 12:58 PM
Perhaps you should get a recorder for yourself. You would both get a kick out of it. You don't have to be world class great at it.
It's a shared experience.

LaurelHS
2010-Oct-26, 06:03 PM
I hate those ads in the corners or at the edges of web sites that have sound. They're intrusive and loud and one of them just interrupted the song I was listening to. And I just know they make the mute buttons on those ads hard to find on purpose.

Donnie B.
2010-Oct-26, 08:15 PM
I hate those ads in the corners or at the edges of web sites that have sound. They're intrusive and loud and one of them just interrupted the song I was listening to. And I just know they make the mute buttons on those ads hard to find on purpose.

Firefox with the AdBlock Plus add-on. No more worries.

LaurelHS
2010-Oct-26, 09:56 PM
Thanks, I'll try that. :)

closetgeek
2010-Oct-27, 11:14 AM
Perhaps you should get a recorder for yourself. You would both get a kick out of it. You don't have to be world class great at it.
It's a shared experience.

That's actually a really cute idea. She'll be practicing and getting that self esteem boost by feeling like a teacher to me, not to mention it's good mom/kid time that doesn't involve tv.

Buttercup
2010-Oct-27, 12:07 PM
I'm currently a bit miffed with a family friend who is mildly disabled from a complicated birth situation. She still lives at home with parents (which is actually necessary, considering she'd be a major predator target otherwise). They're well educated and relatively wealthy. K very much wants to be treated equally like everyone else (understandable). Yet she has no care nor concern for another disabled mutual acquaintance (S), who is now in a nursing-home type enviroment (despite our all being still somewhat young). S's parents can't and don't give her the monetary and emotional support which K enjoys from hers.

So it irks me occasionally when K breezes around, enjoying all the perks in life her parents have provided for her and wishing to be treated/seen as "just another person in the group"...and meanwhile she never inquires about S, never visits nor telephones her.

I'm like "Hey K, what if I treated you like you treat S: As if she's no account, doesn't exist, isn't good enough?"

Oh well. :mad:

closetgeek
2010-Oct-28, 11:11 AM
So, because I am a glutton for punishment, I've continued to occassionally hang out with the girl from the OP. It's more because our kids are friends so she comes over every once in a while, brings her kids and we chat while they play. Last night was rather odd. We've known each other for going on three years because her son and my daughter used to be classmates, though, we've only been "friends" for about six months. I found it rather difficult to pay attention to what she was saying last night as I was rather distracted by the sudden hispanic accent she's picked up. I am not 100% on what region but I can say she was talking with the same accent that Penelope Cruz has. I didn't want to say anything because I am just not confrontational like that but it was weird. What would I have said, anyway?

Buttercup
2010-Oct-28, 12:01 PM
we've only been "friends" for about six months. I found it rather difficult to pay attention to what she was saying last night as I was rather distracted by the sudden hispanic accent she's picked up. I am not 100% on what region but I can say she was talking with the same accent that Penelope Cruz has. I didn't want to say anything because I am just not confrontational like that but it was weird. What would I have said, anyway?

She's just started doing that, like overnight? :confused:

Maybe was previously trying to hide the accent? Or she's got a strange fixation and wishes to speak like someone else?

closetgeek
2010-Oct-28, 01:32 PM
She's just started doing that, like overnight? :confused:

Maybe was previously trying to hide the accent? Or she's got a strange fixation and wishes to speak like someone else?

...like mid conversation. I picked up on a draw she's always had on certain letters and I was sure it was mid northern states. I remember asking if she was from the Dakotas but, IIRC, I believe she said Wisconsin. Both she and her husband are German. It was just weird.

Fazor
2010-Oct-28, 01:49 PM
I don't know; she could be hanging out with someone who has a Hispanic accent. We tend to pick up a lot of "speech mannerisms" from the people we hang out with. Certain words or pronunciations. Picking up a full blown accent would be more than a little weird though. But I guess Tara said she'd end up with an 'Appalation' accent after just a week or so of visiting her family there.

I had a friend in college that would start talking with an Irish accent when she'd get drunk. Her family was from Ireland, but she was born and raised here. Every year she'd spend a month or so over there with the family though, so that's where it came from. But when she wasn't drinking, you'd never know she had an accent at all. 'Twas like her own built-in sobriety test.

closetgeek
2010-Oct-28, 02:12 PM
I am not exaggerating, she went from Cheesehead to Penelope Cruz mid conversation.

There was a girl I grew up with who moved to NW Fl, jokingly referred to as LA (lower Alabama). Mind you, she spend the first 19yrs of her life on Long Island. When I first got there she spoke with a distinct southern draw, "Mah huhsbaind draves onle Fard trucks." As soon as we got around the good ole boys, you would have thought she grew up on Staten Island. I've seen people over pronounce accents to get attention but it was just me. Who was she trying to impress, last night?

Buttercup
2010-Oct-28, 02:21 PM
Yeah, that's strange.

I can now hear a difference in accent from where I was born/raised (have been gone from there nearly 20 years now), so I know my own speech inflections and pronunciations must have changed somewhat. But I doubt I'd "switch back over to pure Iowa accent" in a heartbeat any time -- including when I'm next home to visit (hopefully next year).

Seems the Staten Island-to-Florida gal is putting on an accent for her husband's sake? Or maybe because some Rebs still don't like Yankees? ;) Madonna was doing that for a while for Guy; that nasally English fake-o accent of hers. :p Ugh. (Just for the record: I love REAL English accents).

Buttercup
2010-Oct-29, 07:23 PM
Well, this is great.

I spoke to someone in charge of where G--- and the rest of us meet up once a week (at my husband's behest).

I'm probably imagining G--- being untoward. The head honcho can't imagine G--- flirting with me, or having made an advance. He's "not the G--- I know" and he's a good father, blah blah.

This was said in a very diplomatic tone, as if "I'm putting this out there for your consideration (that you might be wrong)."

In other words, I'm likely imagining this stuff about G---. :mad: :mad: Also, that it might be projection; that maybe I'm projecting desires and attraction onto G---. :mad:

Oh someone just shoot me right now.

Okay, well sorry I said anything about HRH G---. He's perfect and wonderful. It must be me. :(

danscope
2010-Oct-29, 09:26 PM
Sounds like a stealth scoundrel. At least eyes will be watching. This Works.

Buttercup
2010-Oct-30, 09:08 PM
Sounds like a stealth scoundrel.

Yes. And in the past 2 weeks he's taken to giving me this flat expressionless stare when we come into the room (from down a long corridor). He is seated so as to see directly who's coming down the corridor, and I've noticed seems to be watching for our (my) arrival. :( All that time he merely sits there, staring. Even if I leave the room (for restroom) and re-enter. It's creepy. :(

But I've notified the head honcho (above). These are events I attend with my husband for his sake, but after again getting that flat expressionless stare ... I'm going to find a polite way to bow out. Try to make other plans for us. Hopefully husband will be okay with a change in weekly schedule.

danscope
2010-Oct-30, 10:38 PM
Well done. Sounds like mr G has been .... " informed" .

Dan

Buttercup
2010-Nov-14, 11:09 PM
So not in the mood for the holidays. Wasn't before and now definitely am not.

Am super-grateful for my job, but discovered yesterday that an error's been made in my Paid Time Off calculation (during the change from old corporate entity to new in May). The company is going to take the hour amount they "over-gave" me as monetary deduction from my next paycheck -- and my PTO balance is now zero. :( With the holidays right around the corner, and cold/flu season upon us! No PTO hours, an upcoming noticeably *lesser* paycheck.

And yesterday in snail mail comes a jury duty summons. :doh: :(

Oh well. There's more to be thankful and grateful for. But the PTO situation is a bummer. If we temporarily run low or out of work, or should I fall ill, I will have no back-up pay at all until PTO hours are (slowly) reaccrued. Hopefully my mother will settle for half the Christmas gift she was going to get...

LaurelHS
2010-Dec-06, 01:59 PM
I have insomnia and I'm depressed, so I didn't get to sleep until after midnight, which is not unusual. I was awakened at six a.m. by a phone call from someone who had the wrong number. My grandmother is in failing health, so my first thought when the phone rang was, "Oh no, this is it." I know it's irrational to get too angry with the person who called me, but this was not a good start to the week.

Strange
2010-Dec-08, 10:16 AM
One of Microsoft Word's more annoying, time-wasting and downright stupid habits:

When I apply a style to a paragraph, it is because I want that paragraph to havbe that style. That is why I am doing it. So why does Word insist on asking if I want to "Update the style to reflect recent changes" or "Reapply the formatting of the style to the selection". Of course I want to apply the formatting of the style to the selection, that is why I am applying the style! And why the heck does it default to the first option?? Why on earth would I want to update the style based on an incorrectly formatted paragraph? If I wanted this sort of brain-dead behavior I wouldn't be using a "professional office suite". Would I?

This is doubly frustrating as I am encountering even more of these than usual because I am converting stuff to Word from a proper documentation tool. Sigh. Oh well, at least I get paid for being this annoyed!

Hornblower
2010-Dec-08, 01:22 PM
One of Microsoft Word's more annoying, time-wasting and downright stupid habits:

When I apply a style to a paragraph, it is because I want that paragraph to havbe that style. That is why I am doing it. So why does Word insist on asking if I want to "Update the style to reflect recent changes" or "Reapply the formatting of the style to the selection". Of course I want to apply the formatting of the style to the selection, that is why I am applying the style! And why the heck does it default to the first option?? Why on earth would I want to update the style based on an incorrectly formatted paragraph? If I wanted this sort of brain-dead behavior I wouldn't be using a "professional office suite". Would I?

This is doubly frustrating as I am encountering even more of these than usual because I am converting stuff to Word from a proper documentation tool. Sigh. Oh well, at least I get paid for being this annoyed!
We appear to be getting a double whammy here. The software designers seem to be showing off their technical virtuosity by piling on features which 99% of us seldom need, and are being egged on by marketing strategists who are aiming at power users who undergo intensive training to use the system.

My approach would be to make the default setting nothing more than what a typewriter would do, with easy-to-apply style and formatting tool menus that can be dropped down from an uncluttered task bar.

closetgeek
2010-Dec-08, 01:32 PM
I have insomnia and I'm depressed, so I didn't get to sleep until after midnight, which is not unusual. I was awakened at six a.m. by a phone call from someone who had the wrong number. My grandmother is in failing health, so my first thought when the phone rang was, "Oh no, this is it." I know it's irrational to get too angry with the person who called me, but this was not a good start to the week.

I get what you're saying though. Had that person not called at the wrong time, under bad circumstances, you probably wouldn't react as much. It always seems that things pile up until you start wondering if the universe has turned against you. I hope you get some good news regarding your grandmother and a good night sleep :).

LaurelHS
2010-Dec-08, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the good wishes. We're in kind of a "no news is good news" situation with my grandmother.

Buttercup
2011-Mar-05, 02:18 PM
My mother-in-law passed away a week ago. I had a good, loving, rewarding 18-year relationship with her. Have done a lot for my in-laws in general, and we're all in rather good stead with each other.

Enter my husband's half-brother (different mother). Joe came to attend the funeral and be supportive of his half-siblings. Nice enough guy. I've met his mother twice, who was very gracious and nice to us.

Unfortunately Joe seemed to think I owed him something during this visit. :confused: He's from the older generation and of a different culture.

My sentiment was it was my mother-in-law who passed on, with whom I'd had a happy and close 18-year relationship. Meanwhile Joe only met his "stepmother" once. I was also tending to my husband and his full siblings during the loss of their mother.

Apparently Joe expected I would cater to him as board and meals went. I politely did not. He stayed elsewhere (nice accommodations and also free to him).

He didn't say anything, but I know he resented the fact that I didn't do favors for him as I did for my mother-in-law's children/family. Frankly I didn't feel obligated to him.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Mar-07, 06:23 PM
I visited my garden for the first time this year (it will be another month before I can actually more out there), and found that the tool shed had been broken into and about $500 worth of tools stolen including my welding power supply.

Right now I want to find the person who did it and put him in a concrete mixer with 20 pounds of used hypodermic needles from a needle-exchange program and let it run for an hour.

danscope
2011-Mar-07, 08:18 PM
A curse on tool thieves! I pray that they too find comfort in a concrete mixer. Mat their belt buckle burn them.
May their nose itch. May their pipe stink.
I think the worst of it is that many of my tools had belonged to my Father. They are always an inspiration to me.
Unreplaceable. I feel your pain .

Dan

HenrikOlsen
2011-Mar-07, 08:34 PM
"Luckily" for me, they took the easily moved power tools with monetary value rather than any with sentimental value, not that I had any of the latter in that shed.

Buttercup
2011-Mar-07, 08:51 PM
Husband can't work on my car because of this wind, which is whipping sand and dust around! :(

LaurelHS
2011-Mar-10, 10:02 PM
I had to get a root canal today. That's bad enough, but . . . they started it, then the dentist says he can't save the tooth, so he just files it down and says I have to see an oral surgeon for an extraction, which by the way will be at a place that takes two buses to get to. So the left side of my face is really hurting right now, the ibuprofen isn't helping enough, the filed-down edges are leaving scars on my tongue, and instead of the problem being fixed, I get to look forward to losing a tooth. Just what I needed at a time when I was already depressed.

megrfl
2011-Mar-10, 11:59 PM
:(

danscope
2011-Mar-11, 03:16 AM
He is an honest man. He wants you to avoid certain trouble down the line.
I feel your pain. Here's hoping for the best.

Dan

jokergirl
2011-Mar-17, 03:49 PM
If you think that turning off the lights and turning on a candle for Earth Hour is going to be good for the environment, you're not thinking things through. A candle is a LOT less efficient than a lightbulb (and everyone has to switch to low-energy lightbulbs anyway), creates CO2 and is usually made from fossil oil.
Additionally, going from last year's numbers, Earth Hour didn't even have a noticeable effect on energy use in Stockholm. What does that tell us? In March, light is not where the main amount of our electricity goes. If you are so concerned about saving electricity, put on a pullover and turn down your heater. All Earth Hour does is generate smug.

</rant>

Buttercup
2011-Mar-22, 01:54 PM
Well of course! Today I begin actual work on a new and complicated account, and an in-law wants to drop by to pick up husband to go out of town. :mad: In-law has just returned from a 1st international 10-day trip, but today ISN'T the day to "hear all about it." That will be next Monday -- as previously planned. Of course husband immediately drops EVERYTHING to cater to his relative.

He'd better get back from having coffee ASAP so I don't have to quit what I'm *struggling* to do on this entirely new account, to play hostess for half an hour. :mad:

And of course he'll spend all day with his sibling, only to come home later grumbling about driving skills (poor) and know-it-all attitudes. Of all days, it has to be today...

closetgeek
2011-Dec-17, 03:14 PM
Deleted: double post

closetgeek
2011-Dec-17, 03:17 PM
Are you kidding me? I joined a local meetup group and after a while I was invited to become a board member. At our last board meeting, they said that it's a good time to start thinking about who is going to host the annual Soltice Party. We were just finishing up redecorating the house so I was thrilled to volunteer. They said it's usually about 6 or 7 people, they tend to be small and pleasant. So as the event got close, the RSVP list was at about 7 (that's including the +1 for kids or a spouse). The party is today so this past week, accounting for the guest list, I felt I did a fair amount of shopping; baked two lasagnes, bourbon dogs, pigs in a blanket, and twice baked potato bites. We have some other guests bringing food, too, so I felt fairly comfortable that there would be food left over. We had a couple of people join the meetup group and RSVP that they are coming to the gathering and I am a little uneasy because nobody knows who these people are but I knew I was running that risk when I put the party up (not all of our members are active). Then, yesterday my email exploded with a bunch of last minute RSVPs, bringing the total up to 13 (alright so 6 isn't actually "exploding" but still). I can handle this, I have plenty of seating.

Then one new member emails me and asked if it will be kid friendly. I said yes because my kids will be there and another member is bringing his daughter. Then I get another email from him saying that the guest option only goes up to +2 and he wants to bring 9 guests with him. My stomach dropped when I read that. I pride myself on being an accomodating person but really?

I replied to him that it would be a little out of hand and he sent back that he planned on bringing food and six of the guests are him, his wife, and four kids but he also wants to bring his parents, sister, and a close family friend. I do not want to be rude but you have a large family to begin with. You are attending a party at the house of people you've never met before and now you want to start bringing extended family and friends? Who does that? Now I have to look like the Grinch by saying no. I don't like to say no but just you and your guests have doubled the guest list.

Stressor #2: he mentioned that his oldest is 7 but didn't mention the ages of his other 3. All my kids are teen and tween and the other guest's daughter is 11. Now I think I have to babyproof my house on top of everything else. I emailed the board about this and they said that nothing like this has happened before and encouraged me to let him know that 9 guests is a bit overwhelming. I feel a little better because I was afraid that turning away a slew of nonmember guests would make us all look bad; the last thing I want to do is give a bad first impression. I've been looking forward to this party since September and now I am dreading how this is going to turn out.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Dec-17, 03:34 PM
Correct answer to his request is:

No, you should have asked a week ago.
If the guest option goes to 2 and you're bringing 9 with one days's notice, you're an inconsiderate jerk who deserves to be turned away at the door.

Buttercup
2011-Dec-17, 03:39 PM
It's your house. You call the shots, ultimately. For 1 person to want to bring another 8 along with him?? And on such short notice? Guess he thinks just because he's also bringing food...nah.

Reminds me of my husband's half-brother (mostly estranged, lives out of state) who earlier this Spring called us about 50 miles out of town with his elderly mother AND girlfriend en route to our city (mom's sister was in local hospital). Apparently Joe figured I'd be *thrilled* (on a Saturday no less) to up-end the house, prepare the guest room and sofa, and cook for them -- on mid-afternoon "notice."

They ended up at a hotel.

It's your right to say no.

Some people have a lot of nerve, or are clueless/stupid. They will take advantage if you let them. I don't.

Buttercup
2011-Dec-17, 03:46 PM
--and also, I wouldn't worry too much about looking like "a Grinch." Probably most other people will (silently) see your point of view and agree if you say no. :)

HenrikOlsen
2011-Dec-17, 04:17 PM
Some people have a lot of nerve, or are clueless/stupid.
And in either case it's OK to hit them with a clue-by-four.

swampyankee
2011-Dec-17, 04:35 PM
My latest rant involves politics, so I'll get in trouble. Let's just say our local mayor, who should remain nameless, has decided undocumented aliens should be allowed to vote in municipal elections. The only things standing in his way are a rubber-stamp Board of Aldermen and the state constitution.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Dec-17, 05:55 PM
Two weeks ago I got a call from my bank informing me that I've been using a company netbank (internet access to my bank accounts) to manage my private accounts and that wasn't allowed, so they would have to set up a private netbank for my private accounts. So far so good, that's reasonable give that it was a change in law that mandated that.
But the next thing I knew was that they had remove all my private accounts from the netbank and now, 2 weeks later I'm still waiting for the information I need to get on my private netbank.
I've been able to make do by transferring money to my debit card account because I know the account number, but without access I can't see how much is there and today I got bitten hard by this because it's a weekend so the transfer won't happen until Monday, something I couldn't see because I don't have access to the account.
And as it's a debit card I can't use money that aren't there, which sucks when trying to pay with it for a massive bunch of Christmas shopping.

I've basically had to scrap all plans for the weekend including buying food, because the bank won't let me use my money.

So far it's taken me two hours to calm down enough to make a post without getting suspended for cursing and the knowledge that it's not until Monday that I get to rant at the nice lady in the bank isn't exactly helping.

closetgeek
2011-Dec-18, 02:44 PM
Two weeks ago I got a call from my bank informing me that I've been using a company netbank (internet access to my bank accounts) to manage my private accounts and that wasn't allowed, so they would have to set up a private netbank for my private accounts. So far so good, that's reasonable give that it was a change in law that mandated that.
But the next thing I knew was that they had remove all my private accounts from the netbank and now, 2 weeks later I'm still waiting for the information I need to get on my private netbank.
I've been able to make do by transferring money to my debit card account because I know the account number, but without access I can't see how much is there and today I got bitten hard by this because it's a weekend so the transfer won't happen until Monday, something I couldn't see because I don't have access to the account.
And as it's a debit card I can't use money that aren't there, which sucks when trying to pay with it for a massive bunch of Christmas shopping.

I've basically had to scrap all plans for the weekend including buying food, because the bank won't let me use my money.

So far it's taken me two hours to calm down enough to make a post without getting suspended for cursing and the knowledge that it's not until Monday that I get to rant at the nice lady in the bank isn't exactly helping.

That is so frustrating! I have no idea about the banking process in Denmark so I couldn't even offer a solution. The one thing I noticed with bank policies is they leave no room for human thinking. It's all computer thinking with zero grey area. I hope you have someone close to you that can help you out with the food issue.

BTW, my guest, decided at the last minute not to come.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Dec-18, 03:02 PM
Basically there is no solution as there is no way to contact a human until Monday then the transfer happens anyway.

darkhunter
2011-Dec-18, 07:02 PM
Please--don't get mad at ME when you pull into the line clearly marked "Lube" and I start asking about your oil change because you want tires...then get mad at the person who pulled in behind you for an oil change for blocking you from backing up and getting into the lane you should have gotten into in the first place! Especially after telling me you read the signs and chose to ignore them....

Extravoice
2011-Dec-18, 10:49 PM
This afternoon, I was paying some bills and decided (quite literally) to do a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation only to find that all of the envelopes that came with my bills were covered with advertising, and there was nowhere to do the calculation. ARGH!

(Yes, I still get my bills through the mail, although I pay most of them online.)

Buttercup
2011-Dec-30, 08:53 PM
Husband's pickup is being fixed (by him). So we only have my car. Husband's been using my car throughout the day. Just returned home from a banking errand. I wanted to go to grocery store, pick up some items for New Year's Eve/Day. Turns out he's lost his cellphone AND the car's nearly out of gas. :evil: So he's gone to try and find his cellphone.

Well, guess I'll do my grocery shopping two hours from now. Instead of now.

Grrrr....

swampyankee
2011-Dec-30, 09:22 PM
Husband's pickup is being fixed (by him). So we only have my car. Husband's been using my car throughout the day. Just returned home from a banking errand. I wanted to go to grocery store, pick up some items for New Year's Eve/Day. Turns out he's lost his cellphone AND the car's nearly out of gas. :evil: So he's gone to try and find his cellphone.

Grrrr....

Don't they have Peapod (http://www.peapod.com/) on Coruscant?

Buttercup
2011-Dec-30, 10:21 PM
Don't they have Peapod (http://www.peapod.com/) on Coruscant?

Yes, but I wanted to get out in the warm sunshine and face all the air traffic. :)

Ironically, just now returned. R2 is being a helpful 'droid, putting the grocery items away for me.

closetgeek
2011-Dec-31, 02:24 AM

Grrrr....

Awe, I can feel your frustration. It's enough to drive you batty!

Buttercup
2012-Jan-25, 04:09 PM
A mini-rant (sort of).

Yesterday did lunch with some lady friends (once a month); an older woman and her two daughters (who are in my age group). Cathy couldn't join us; job-related demands. The mother was a bit unhappy about this. I'm like (thinking) Well, you'll see her tonight at dinner won't you? Both daughters join their parents every week night for dinner.

What's the problem? I'm all for family togetherness, but geez.

And I especially didn't appreciate her moaning about that as I take time from work (paid-time off) to lunch with them on Tuesdays instead of Mondays (my day off), to accommodate Cathy. Which I'm happy to do...but don't complain aloud if Cathy's unable to join us for whatever reason. :rolleyes:

closetgeek
2012-Jan-27, 03:42 PM
A mini-rant (sort of).

Yesterday did lunch with some lady friends (once a month); an older woman and her two daughters (who are in my age group). Cathy couldn't join us; job-related demands. The mother was a bit unhappy about this. I'm like (thinking) Well, you'll see her tonight at dinner won't you? Both daughters join their parents every week night for dinner.

What's the problem? I'm all for family togetherness, but geez.

And I especially didn't appreciate her moaning about that as I take time from work (paid-time off) to lunch with them on Tuesdays instead of Mondays (my day off), to accommodate Cathy. Which I'm happy to do...but don't complain aloud if Cathy's unable to join us for whatever reason. :rolleyes:

If she can't get away from work, she can't get away from work. What is she supposed to do; lose her job over a lunch date?

Buttercup
2012-Feb-02, 02:59 PM
My supervisor. Of course.

She sent back a snitty e-mail that maybe my most recent paycheck was quite a bit less than the previous due to my being "distracted" more that pay period.

Lo and behold, she now is chewing me out a bit for not signing more coworkers onto Instant Messaging, so I can ask them questions (if need be -- which would be seldom), and conversely answer *their* questions (how many of them are NEW to this work?).

So I'm supposed to willingly take on MORE distractions?? :mad: I've already lost hundreds of dollars in the past 6 months due to a different software program/rate of pay.

That's okay. Guess I'll just eventually pack this computer up and send it back to them, go to work for Burger King.

closetgeek
2012-Feb-18, 08:24 PM
This is really bugging me. I got a call from my daughter's high school the other day. She was in gym and took a soccer ball to the side of her face. It caught her off guard and knocked her to the floor where she got the wind knocked out of her. It wasn't the nurse that called it was someone from the office. They let me know that she didn't lose consciousness and she seemed to be alright but asked me to come get her. As an afterthought, the woman on the phone throws in, "oh and we checked her person and property for illegal substances and she was all clean. It's school policy. She is in the clinic," and then she hung up. It kept bugging me, the whole way up there. Now they search the students for drugs or weapons, simply for getting injured in PE? I can understand random locker searches because technically, lockers are school property but her person and her school bag are her property. It was irking me the whole ride up to the school and by the time I got there, the end bell was about to ring, there was too much chaos to go looking for admistration. On the way out, I just asked my daughter about it. She said that when they brought her to the clinic, they immediately made her empty all her pockets and then a few seconds later, they brought her bag in and informed her that they checked it and it was all clear. They didn't even search it in front of her or get her permission to do so. It feels like some kind of violation, to me.

Buttercup
2012-Feb-18, 08:32 PM
This is really bugging me. I got a call from my daughter's high school the other day. She was in gym and took a soccer ball to the side of her face. It caught her off guard and knocked her to the floor where she got the wind knocked out of her. It wasn't the nurse that called it was someone from the office. They let me know that she didn't lose consciousness and she seemed to be alright but asked me to come get her. As an afterthought, the woman on the phone throws in, "oh and we checked her person and property for illegal substances and she was all clean. It's school policy. She is in the clinic," and then she hung up. It kept bugging me, the whole way up there. Now they search the students for drugs or weapons, simply for getting injured in PE? I can understand random locker searches because technically, lockers are school property but her person and her school bag are her property. It was irking me the whole ride up to the school and by the time I got there, the end bell was about to ring, there was too much chaos to go looking for admistration. On the way out, I just asked my daughter about it. She said that when they brought her to the clinic, they immediately made her empty all her pockets and then a few seconds later, they brought her bag in and informed her that they checked it and it was all clear. They didn't even search it in front of her or get her permission to do so. It feels like some kind of violation, to me.

I'm not a parent, but it sounds wrong to me too.

What's up with "the after-thought" element of the phone call?

And her immediately hanging up afterwards?

Of course she wants to avoid a reaction from the parent.

Yeah, it'd bug me too.

Unfortunately I have no idea about what goes on in schools (good or bad).

You are definitely in your rights to question them about this "policy" and how you were informed about it.

closetgeek
2012-Feb-19, 04:02 AM
I'm not a parent, but it sounds wrong to me too.

What's up with "the after-thought" element of the phone call?

And her immediately hanging up afterwards?

Of course she wants to avoid a reaction from the parent.

Yeah, it'd bug me too.

Unfortunately I have no idea about what goes on in schools (good or bad).

You are definitely in your rights to question them about this "policy" and how you were informed about it.

The whole situation bugs me. I know my daughter, if they had asked to check her bag, she would have consented without hesitation. They took it like they were doing her a favor, carrying it for her, took it to a separate room and then searched it without her permission. The funny thing, though, is she is not nearly as bothered about it as I am.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Feb-19, 06:06 AM
The whole situation bugs me. I know my daughter, if they had asked to check her bag, she would have consented without hesitation. They took it like they were doing her a favor, carrying it for her, took it to a separate room and then searched it without her permission. The funny thing, though, is she is not nearly as bothered about it as I am.
Isn't search and seizure without a warrant a fourth amendment violation?

Trebuchet
2012-Feb-19, 04:18 PM

They may be claiming some sort of "implied consent" -- By being at the school, you've agreed to a search of your person. That's actually pretty common, airport security being perhaps the biggest example.

closetgeek
2012-Feb-19, 05:28 PM
The reading I have done, implies that legally, the 4th Amendment rights are diminished for a student on school grounds. They are subject to being searched without a warrent having a lot to do with the term they use in loco parentis. School staff are acting parents in the absence of actual parents. However, there have been quite a few cases involving proper response searching of students. They don't need probable cause or a warrant but according to most recent cases, they are required to have reasonable suspicion. In my daughter's case, there was no reasonable suspicion because she wasn't in trouble for anything, she was hit in the face with a soccer ball and brought to the clinic.

Hornblower
2012-Feb-19, 06:09 PM
The reading I have done, implies that legally, the 4th Amendment rights are diminished for a student on school grounds. They are subject to being searched without a warrent having a lot to do with the term they use in loco parentis. School staff are acting parents in the absence of actual parents. However, there have been quite a few cases involving proper response searching of students. They don't need probable cause or a warrant but according to most recent cases, they are required to have reasonable suspicion. In my daughter's case, there was no reasonable suspicion because she wasn't in trouble for anything, she was hit in the face with a soccer ball and brought to the clinic.

That is a well thought out response in my opinion. As is usually the case, the requirements of the Bill of Rights are not absolute but require legally astute interpretation, in accordance with principles that are more fundamental than the Constitution and have evolved for millenia.

I can see the occurrence of substance abuse being considered a compelling reason to do purely random spot checks, with appropriate restraint. I do not see the occurrence of an accidental injury while playing soccer in gym class as a compelling reason to go further. That makes it look like the possibility that some school personnel are so bureaucratized (sic) that they have trouble thinking sensibly.

Extravoice
2012-Feb-19, 06:55 PM
I hate to play devil's advocate here, but I suspect part of the reason for the search is the school protecting itself in our overly-litigious society.

Imagine the school's liability if a kid falls over in gym class and everyone assumes it was due to getting hit with a ball, but it was really because she overdosed on some drug which causes death.

Personally, I don't think a "reasonable person" would feel the need to check her bag, especially after a nurse's examination showed no signs of intoxication. Still, I can see the school over-reacting to protect themselves from any kind of liability.

Clive Tester
2012-Feb-20, 07:56 PM
TV adverts in the UK: either really silly and insult the intelligence, or sufficiently vulgar to put me off my dinner. I recall a very enlightened lady, warning us about the creeping decline in standards of decency and taste over 40 year ago.

closetgeek
2012-Feb-21, 02:02 AM
I hate to play devil's advocate here, but I suspect part of the reason for the search is the school protecting itself in our overly-litigious society.

Imagine the school's liability if a kid falls over in gym class and everyone assumes it was due to getting hit with a ball, but it was really because she overdosed on some drug which causes death.

Personally, I don't think a "reasonable person" would feel the need to check her bag, especially after a nurse's examination showed no signs of intoxication. Still, I can see the school over-reacting to protect themselves from any kind of liability.

And so many times my sympathies fall on the side of the school for that very reason. That's a very good point.

Buttercup
2012-Mar-29, 02:44 PM
My supervisor.

I've not been feeling well since Sunday. Despite that have worked. Late starts (slept in a bit), which she was okay with.

Yesterday we ran out of work. I was still not feeling well, asked for 2.5 hours paid-time off.

No reply.

Apparently it won't be approved. >:-(

p.s.: I work in my home.

Buttercup
2012-May-08, 09:11 PM
Ask a simple favor:

Will husband drive to nearby used bookstore (while I'm working) to see if a title is available?

He gets flustered. Well what if this, what if that?

Just ASK an employee! Book will be in a specific section (by genre of course).

What if cost is more than I'm willing to spend?

Well...first I need to know if they even have it!

This, that...blah blah.

I tell him, "Take this $10. It shouldn't even cost that, if they have it. See if they've got it, phone me if so. I'll say yes or no -- then buy it or don't."

He was wanting to simply go and see if it's available, then I drive back to buy it. :confused: What's the sense of both of us making a trip (fuel prices)?!

Good grief, you'd think I asked him to build a rocketship to Mars!!

p.s.: Sometimes I really wish we could swear here. :p

KaiYeves
2012-May-10, 10:42 PM
You can go the comic-book route and write random symbols, like so: *#%^#$&!

closetgeek
2012-May-31, 12:48 AM
I am only taking two classes for the summer, math and biology. I had one of those funny moments where I was complaining about someone else but before I finished my words, I made the connection that I was doing the same thing. Funny how that goes.

I have no confidence in math because when I make mistakes, even looking over the problems, I don't see the mistake till I got it wrong. My fiance has been spending so much time with me, walking me step by step through the equations but it seems that I never get to a point where I feel secure in the formula I am supposed to be using and/or the result from using said formula. It was getting to the point where he was doing every other problem next to me. All this while he has his own classes to be focusing on.

Now, Biology is a hybrid course. We go into the classroom for labs, once a week and do the rest online or out of our textbooks. The first day of class, she explained everything and I jotted it down as she spoke. Then, when I got home, I navigated the online class web site (Angel) which was relatively easy considering that you couldn't take an online class without passing the Angel tutorial. There was one girl, I know her name but I don't know who she is in class, yet; she asked a question through the mailing system and I happened to know the answer so I answered her. Now, a part of the class requires us to watch course videos on the school web site (separate from Angel). I knew how to find them because our instructor told us how to find them. The videos require a certain program to view and the school offers a link to the site but the site only gives a 14 day free trial and then you have to pay for it. I went directly to the web site and got the free download, the videos work so I gave the class a heads up that they don't have to pay for the viewer. Since then, this girl has been private messaging me questions about everything to do with the class, assignments, what's wrong with the lecture link (nothing is wrong with it, the first day she told us that it is an audio and the link right beneath it is a powerpoint follow along). It's getting time consuming, giving this girl step by step instructions for everything that should take maybe five minutes of exploring if she decided to be a bit more self reliant. I am not exactly confident in my computer skills but it's not like it's going to explode if I click on the wrong link.

So as I am ranting to my fiance, of all people, about this person being completely incapable of thinking for herself, I go off into one realization that I am not helping her by doing the work for her and a lightbulb goes on. I have no confidence in what I am doing because I am not doing anything, he is doing all the thinking and then asking the questions to lead me to the right answers. Of course it sucks, now, because when I am unsure of what process they are asking for, I actually have to hit the textbook and find the formula, but in the past three days, since I've been doing the work and the searching for the answers, holy cow, I am actually getting it. Where it normally takes me about 2 hours to do my homework, I was done in 20 minutes today (down from an hour, yesterday) Still, there is nothing tastier than humble pie; that moment when you are at the peak of self righteousness then you realize that you are doing exactly what you are complaining about. :)

Tobin Dax
2012-May-31, 09:59 AM
Good ending to your rant, closetgeek. Tell your math prof, it will make him or her happy.

And if the your biology classmate is taking up too much of your time, quit helping her. Tell her to ask the professor about these issues. I might grumble when I get a series of questions like that, but it's part of the job.

And the explode line gives me an idea. :shifty:

LookingSkyward
2012-May-31, 10:30 AM
Nicely done, closetgeek. I agree with Tobin's comments on your classmate, but she may also just be looking for a freind and find it easier to ask class-related questions than to actually make a personal approach.

Extravoice
2012-May-31, 01:10 PM
Here's a random rant. Since a major reorganization within my company several months ago, I have been working out of a home office. Now, I get to experience some of the neighborhood activities that I hadn't seen before. One of them is street sweeping. It's nice that the township runs a sweeping machine down my street once in a while, but their scheduling is awful. I have seen the machine come through three times, each on a trash pickup day.

With all the cans and bags in the gutter, the driver has to constantly weave around them. It makes the driver's job harder, and reduces the amount of street area that gets cleaned.

closetgeek
2012-May-31, 11:34 PM
Here's a random rant. Since a major reorganization within my company several months ago, I have been working out of a home office. Now, I get to experience some of the neighborhood activities that I hadn't seen before. One of them is street sweeping. It's nice that the township runs a sweeping machine down my street once in a while, but their scheduling is awful. I have seen the machine come through three times, each on a trash pickup day.

With all the cans and bags in the gutter, the driver has to constantly weave around them. It makes the driver's job harder, and reduces the amount of street area that gets cleaned.

That would annoy me, too. It's not like there is any guesswork as to when the garbage pickup is. Now it's time to turn into one of those people who calls to complain about it.

KaiYeves
2012-May-31, 11:36 PM
I really wish the Smithsonian would bring back the shuttle bus they used to run between the National Air and Space Museum on the Mall and the Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles Airport. It wouldn't even have to be free, I'd be willing to pay. The $14.20 a round trip to the airport on the subway and city buses costs from my current location (city transportation doesn't go to the museum), would be perfectly reasonable.

What isn't reasonable is my only current option for visiting the museum as a non-driver-- spending $120 round-trip on a taxi.

closetgeek
2012-May-31, 11:38 PM
Nicely done, closetgeek. I agree with Tobin's comments on your classmate, but she may also just be looking for a freind and find it easier to ask class-related questions than to actually make a personal approach.

Awe, that makes me feel bad now. I will be nice to her, although she hasn't asked anything since yesterday.

LookingSkyward
2012-Jun-01, 08:14 AM
Sorry bout that! didn't intend to make you feel bad. If it helps, she may just be lazy :>

Tobin Dax
2012-Jun-01, 03:12 PM
And I wasn't thinking about it from that perspective at all. I do get a bit touchy for the first few weeks of class because I know that most online students won't me for help, even if they should.

Trebuchet
2012-Jun-05, 11:24 PM
Just walked all the way down the block in the rain to the mail boxes. And back. And every single item in it went straight into the recycle bin. Ugh.

Solfe
2012-Jun-06, 04:39 AM
I went to the store three times today... and I forgot my list each and every time which makes perfect sense.

Extravoice
2012-Jun-07, 12:46 PM
The street sweeper came again today, and again, it is a trash pickup day.
I found a comment form on our township's website, so I made a suggestion they revisit their schedule.

I figure this is good practice for when I retire.
Now, if I could just keep those kids off my lawn. :)

Trebuchet
2012-Jun-07, 02:36 PM
I found a comment form on our township's website, so I made a suggestion they revisit their schedule.

Sometimes that's all it takes. Some years ago there was a school bus stop along my way to work. It used to back up traffic on the busy road as everyone had to stop while the bus was there. It was also a safety hazard as the kids, being kids, would push each other into the street while they were waiting. After getting held up one day I called the district. Two days later the pickup had been moved around the corner to the side street. Problem solved.

Buttercup
2012-Jun-07, 06:10 PM
Apparently my employer should hire God.

Every hour must be accounted for (production/quota). You're not researching doctor names. You're not editing well enough.

So much pressure and demands, lots of rigamarole, and still a demanded hourly quota.

Do you have IM on? So you can bug other people working...and so they can bug YOU with questions.

Do you check company e-mail regularly?

Meanwhile, get that hourly quota out!

Well gosh, pardon me for being a mere mortal.

Buttercup
2012-Jun-07, 08:28 PM
And now it's this notice: A Russian doctor with privileges here has special request for Russian citizens being treated at Florida facility. We're to take extra hassle (at no additional pay of course) to accommodate this doctor and his patients. We're told it's a huge burden on him. :cry:

Yeah, our paychecks are SO fat. We can afford more rigamarole too.

Hmmmm. Come to think of it, maybe I am too ridiculous with 5 Rolls-Royces in my palace's parking lot. I might have to do with just 4 of those babies; apparently we MT's are just SO selfish.

Okay, I'll knock myself out to accommodate that doctor and his Russian friends who apparently are rich enough to come *here* (and meanwhile I hope to get to California before I drop over dead...oh well, American Taxpayers hup to it!!).

>:-(

closetgeek
2012-Jun-08, 03:07 AM
I went to the store three times today... and I forgot my list each and every time which makes perfect sense.

Is it okay to laugh at that? I swear it's laughing at the recognition of those days, not at you.

Solfe
2012-Jun-08, 05:13 AM
Is it okay to laugh at that? I swear it's laughing at the recognition of those days, not at you.

I just have to shake my head and get all sarcastic when days go south like that. Usually I don't let it bug me much but three screwy trips was rough.

<rant mode on> I went to the bank today, ready for a fight, and everyone was really nice to me and gave me exactly what I wanted the first time I asked. That sucked, I wanted the fight. <rant off>

HenrikOlsen
2012-Jun-08, 08:39 AM
I've just entered total ranting mode here at work, they actually scheduled an hours presentation of HeartMath and their emwave placebo machine!
And this is supposed to be one of the premiere universities of Denmark!
I'm so mad I have to get up and walk around to not stick my head in and yell at them.

closetgeek
2012-Jun-09, 05:05 PM
This is so typical! My fiance is turning 40 at the end of this month and I am trying to organize a surprise party, by using his Facebook friends list. It is proving to be really difficult because he goes to school, full time, online and his computer is right next to mine. I have to do most of the communication through my phone. The fact that I have been glued to the cell phone, lately, has made him aware that something is up. I know this because he is doing his "reassurance" things that he does when he thinks I am angry.

Now, back in February, and old highschool friend was killed. I went to the funeral and sort of reconnected with some old high school people, one being an ex boyfriend. At the time, I was upfront about the experience with speaking with the ex. I had no intentions of pursuing a friendship with him because he was drunk and spent the whole time, in front of his wife, staring at my breasts and talking about old times. It felt really uncomfortable and disrespectful and spent the majority of the memorial avoiding him.

Two days ago, after my fiance has been acting exceptionally curious about my weird behavior, the ex calls me, out of the blue. He wanted to talk about our friend, who died. There was nothing inappropriate about the phone call, at all. However, did he really have to call at the peak of my weird behavior? Seriously, sometimes I feel like the universe is working against me. Bad Universe! :p

Buttercup
2012-Jun-12, 07:57 PM
Seriously, sometimes I feel like the universe is working against me. Bad Universe! :p

There are "rough patches" of such a thing. ;)

Probably shouldn't mention it (for every reason [nitwits will be nitwits]), but an online friend refuses to discuss a certain famous horror author/filmmaker; presumably because of his "orientation," and the fact that he writes horror (and fantasy).

Meanwhile she's a huge fan of an old gothic/horror TV program whose lead male star was of a "different orientation." It's okay to talk about that/him.

I don't get it. :eh:

p.s.: She's also trying to figure out why lots of men of her church denom are so negative towards their wives. Um...because they're socialized that way? Encouraged to be so, "Scripturally"? You know, God loves men more?

Duh.

darkhunter
2012-Jun-13, 05:18 AM
OK, so your last oil change was 2 weeks/400 miles ago, and there oil pressure gauge quits showing pressure. I tell you you an oil change won't fix it, and to go to the dealer or mechanic to have it sorted--then the DEALERSHIP tells you to change oil to one that's twice the viscosity of what the engine needs... [facepalm]. Got out of work an hour late doing the oil change that didn't need doing.....

Don't tell me you didn't drive on the tire flat when the sidewall is cut nearly all the way through and the inner bead is completely off the rim....

Buttercup
2012-Jun-14, 04:07 PM
There's a limit to self-promotion, and a guy on Twitter just met mine. >:-( He goes on manic posting sprees, making outlandish comments about what he writes and that genre. On and on.

Now he's taken to Re-Tweeting others' favorable comments to him.

AND he's asking his Followers to Tweet how they feel about him/writings; he then Re-Tweets those.

I let him know quietly how I feel: I Unfollowed. :p

Enough's enough!

closetgeek
2012-Jun-21, 03:21 AM
Why, when I am taking a test, does the question never make sense until I get it wrong? I've taken two biology tests. I do all the assigned reading, take notes on the lecture, then copy the study guide, filling in each answer, straight out of the text book. I do all the non credit, helpful study material. I study for the tests and never cram right before the tests. I feel like I know it cold. The tests are also open notes, open book, with ample time to take the tests. Even with all that, I've only gotten an 88 on both tests. Grant it, on both tests, for some reason I misspelled fats. I don't know why but I keep writing fates and don't see the error until I get it marked wrong. As to the questions I don't understand, I just don't get why that happens. I will read the question, reread it, then pass it up till the end, hoping it will make more sense, later. I go through my notes, which never seem to have the information needed for the tests. I will go through the text book, trying to find information pertaining to a key word in the question. Unsure of my answer, I type it in, submit the test, and as soon as I see I got it wrong, I go, "Oh chloroplast! That was the answer." Aaah!

One I got wrong on my first test will haunt me, quite possibly, for the rest of my life; What's the subunit of a polymer? You know what I put; molecule. While, yes, monomers are molecules, she's said in her lectures, it's in my notes, it's in my text book, and on my study guide. I knew that answer. My freaking daughter knows that answer. I just want to go back and fix it but I can't. I have to stare at it till this class ends.

Extravoice
2012-Jun-21, 12:28 PM
I don't usually watch the evening news, but tuned into the channel a little early for "Jeopardy." The news anchorwoman was reporting that the Coast Guard had some leads in hunting-down the person who made a hoax mayday call claiming his yacht was sinking off the NJ coast. I couldn't believe how much the reporter got wrong. First, she said the hoax was a made from a cell phone. Wrong, it was from a VHF marine radio. Then she said it was a 911 call. Wrong, it was a radio call to the Coast Guard. Then she said the call was similar to a hoax in Texas last year because the caller used the phrase "taking on water." I own a (very) small boat, and am pretty sure those are the exact words I'd use if my boat was...say, taking on water.

Buttercup
2012-Jun-21, 05:28 PM
The company (online) timeclock and the Central Standard Time issue. Boss gets angry when we mistakenly enter "wrong" time (for paid-time off); everyone must conform to CST. Which I try to do (conscientious), but sometimes -- well, I live in Mountain Standard Time. It's easy to get "times" confused occasionally.

I hate that stupid timeclock! But it's a "must" for ensuring overall productivity.

syzygy42
2012-Jun-21, 06:41 PM
Why, when I am taking a test, does the question never make sense until I get it wrong?

As to the questions I don't understand, I just don't get why that happens. I will read the question, reread it, then pass it up till the end, hoping it will make more sense, later. I go through my notes, which never seem to have the information needed for the tests.

As someone who has taught biology at both the undergrad and grad levels, I understand what you are going through. I must admit that I avoided taking any undergrad biology, except for one intro course that I barely passed. I was a math/chem major and entered biology at the grad level. When I first taught undergrad biology, I was shocked by the emphasis on definitions over building a conceptual framework. It is akin to teaching a language with an emphasis on vocabulary with a little grammar to go along -- no story telling, no interesting reading, no fun. Learning biology is very much like learning a new language in a foreign country, except with biology, the foreign country (molecules, cells, and organisms) have few real life analogs to relate to. Introductory texts and classes only occasionally present an interesting story, though some teachers are better than others. Unfortunately, grading is based mostly upon T/F, multiple choice, and fill-in-the-blank -- easy to grade, and with databases of questions available, easy to write. If there is a better way to make an interesting subject stultifyingly boring, I haven't heard of it yet. /end rant

But, to help you out, here are a few pointers. Identify who are the actors are and what are their actions. Most of biological reasoning is visual, so be able to reproduce the critical parts of a figure by memory (you don't need to be a great artist). This is best accomplished by first drawing a figure, tossing it away, and then drawing it again from memory. If you feel confused or forget, just peek back at the figure, close the book and keep going. Throw that in the trash. Repeat. Do this for each important figure for three days in a row (about the time between classes). Proceed as you have with gaining the vocabulary, but be able to write out a definition or explanation in your own words. This helps you to figure out the difference between what you know and what you think you know. Whenever you hesitate, there is usually a question that comes up: find the answer immediately and finish writing. Once you have the basic vocabulary and figures at least partially under your belt, it's time to read the text. Read each paragraph, sentence by sentence. If a sentence is confusing, figure out why and get the answer immediately. When you form a question and find the answer, it will stick. At the end of each paragraph, close the book and write out in your own words what the main point that the author was trying to communicate. Inevitably, questions will arise and you will know by the hesitation in your writing. Answer the question and keep writing. Reviewing for an exam is much the same: use writing and drawing to test your understanding. For each major process, write a short narrative about how it works and relates to other processes. When you write, strive to keep the actors nouns and the actions verbs. This helps your brain sort things out.

It's through this sort of active construction of a narrative that helps in developing the language of biology. One of the problems with trying to answer the teacher's questions is that she speaks fluently and may formulate questions in a way that unconsciously draws on her extended background. By actively trying to speak the language, you will begin to understand her better and also to detect when she and the book are implicitly drawing upon information not directly covered in the class. That background information is as important as the explicit information. When you fill in the missing info, you will develop a deeper understanding. If you don't, your brain will fill in the gap, usually arbitrarily. Beyond performance on an exam, this approach has a wonderful life long benefit: biology comes alive!

Cheers

Buttercup
2012-Jun-22, 10:53 PM
Not really a rant, but didn't want to start a thread. My sister's wedding is just beginning back home (6:00 p.m. CST) and I'm obviously not able to attend. :( It's her 3rd marriage and hopefully "3rd time's the charm." She deserves happiness, and I am certain new husband is THE one. Best wishes and much love to Susan and Russell!

closetgeek
2012-Jun-23, 07:41 PM
As someone who has taught biology at both the undergrad and grad levels, I understand what you are going through. I must admit that I avoided taking any undergrad biology, except for one intro course that I barely passed. I was a math/chem major and entered biology at the grad level. When I first taught undergrad biology, I was shocked by the emphasis on definitions over building a conceptual framework. It is akin to teaching a language with an emphasis on vocabulary with a little grammar to go along -- no story telling, no interesting reading, no fun. Learning biology is very much like learning a new language in a foreign country, except with biology, the foreign country (molecules, cells, and organisms) have few real life analogs to relate to. Introductory texts and classes only occasionally present an interesting story, though some teachers are better than others. Unfortunately, grading is based mostly upon T/F, multiple choice, and fill-in-the-blank -- easy to grade, and with databases of questions available, easy to write. If there is a better way to make an interesting subject stultifyingly boring, I haven't heard of it yet. /end rant

But, to help you out, here are a few pointers. Identify who are the actors are and what are their actions. Most of biological reasoning is visual, so be able to reproduce the critical parts of a figure by memory (you don't need to be a great artist). This is best accomplished by first drawing a figure, tossing it away, and then drawing it again from memory. If you feel confused or forget, just peek back at the figure, close the book and keep going. Throw that in the trash. Repeat. Do this for each important figure for three days in a row (about the time between classes). Proceed as you have with gaining the vocabulary, but be able to write out a definition or explanation in your own words. This helps you to figure out the difference between what you know and what you think you know. Whenever you hesitate, there is usually a question that comes up: find the answer immediately and finish writing. Once you have the basic vocabulary and figures at least partially under your belt, it's time to read the text. Read each paragraph, sentence by sentence. If a sentence is confusing, figure out why and get the answer immediately. When you form a question and find the answer, it will stick. At the end of each paragraph, close the book and write out in your own words what the main point that the author was trying to communicate. Inevitably, questions will arise and you will know by the hesitation in your writing. Answer the question and keep writing. Reviewing for an exam is much the same: use writing and drawing to test your understanding. For each major process, write a short narrative about how it works and relates to other processes. When you write, strive to keep the actors nouns and the actions verbs. This helps your brain sort things out.

It's through this sort of active construction of a narrative that helps in developing the language of biology. One of the problems with trying to answer the teacher's questions is that she speaks fluently and may formulate questions in a way that unconsciously draws on her extended background. By actively trying to speak the language, you will begin to understand her better and also to detect when she and the book are implicitly drawing upon information not directly covered in the class. That background information is as important as the explicit information. When you fill in the missing info, you will develop a deeper understanding. If you don't, your brain will fill in the gap, usually arbitrarily. Beyond performance on an exam, this approach has a wonderful life long benefit: biology comes alive!

Cheers

That sounds about as time consuming as what I am doing now but with twice the benefit. Thank you for your input and experience.

As a funny related conversation, my friend's son just finished his AP Chemistry class so I was asking him advice about remembering compounds that I needed to know for biology. This past Thursday, we were talking about classwork and tests and he relayed one of those funny facebook pictures he just saw. Sadly, I can't find it and I do not remember the questions but I remember the gist of the comic and it seemed to ring so true.

Classwork questions: 2+2=
Homework questions: 4+4=
Test Questions: Johnny has 4 pancakes, aliens don't like pancakes; how many inches of rainfall did Florida accumulate last year?

It really does feel like that sometimes. :)

StratMaster
2012-Jun-24, 09:00 AM

You've got a whole bunch of legal protections, except when you don't.

Extravoice
2012-Jun-24, 01:15 PM
Test Questions: Johnny has 4 pancakes, aliens don't like pancakes; how many inches of rainfall did Florida accumulate last year?

I'd almost be willing to swear that I got that question on a "Differential Equations" exam when I was in school.
I recall several times where I was convinced there wasn't nearly enough information to find a solution.

TJMac
2012-Jun-24, 02:34 PM
One thing:

That oh-so-very-funny video clip on yootoob, or where ever you found it, is not really humorous at all. It's not. Really.

When you spend 5 minutes giggling uncontrollably, while you find it and let it load on your phone, I am doing mental exercises to prevent myself
from physically maiming you. I don't care how many people fall, or get kicked in sensitive areas. I don't care what utterly idiotic thing
someone does that causes them extreme discomfort. I don't care what an animal does, or a kid, or probably anything you can point a video
camera at. The things I find interesting, I will look up all on my own. They will be very different than the things you show me.

If you send me the link, whether it be email or text, I will ignore it. Please refrain.

I will stand and stare at your screen grumpily if you make me watch it, merely because I still have to interact with certain people the rest of
the day, and being totally honest and blunt tends to make the rest of the day annoyingly awkward.

TJ

closetgeek
2012-Jun-26, 03:54 AM
I'd almost be willing to swear that I got that question on a "Differential Equations" exam when I was in school.
I recall several times where I was convinced there wasn't nearly enough information to find a solution.

Two questions on the biology test I took yesterday were statements with a blank box beneath them. There was no question in the statements, nor were there true of false markings beneath the test. I literally had no idea what I was supposed to add to that. Either she forgot to put the question or she meant to make it a true or false statement. I went with true or false and the grading system didn't grade either of the questions. I am assuming that she forgot to put the correct answer into the system. She has reached legendary status with her typos.

closetgeek
2012-Jun-26, 07:02 PM

Cheers

Hey, hey...guess what! I got a 98 on my last Biology test. :D

Buttercup
2012-Jun-26, 07:41 PM

:clap: Congrats! :)

Tobin Dax
2012-Jun-26, 11:40 PM

Excellent! Way to go, cg.