PDA

View Full Version : Georgians panic at fake "news" of Russian invasion

Ilya
2010-Mar-15, 05:52 PM
There must have been some great cocaine at that TV station. Vodka alone would not account for it:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/14/russia-georgia-fake-invasion-report

redshifter
2010-Mar-15, 05:58 PM
Geez, who thought that up, and what the heck were they thinking? Inducing mass panic might be good for short term ratings, but heads are gonna roll over this.

Orson Welles flashbacks...

LaurelHS
2010-Mar-15, 06:18 PM
Didn't Orson Welles have disclaimers throughout his broadcast? I heard that the Georgian station only had one disclaimer at the beginning of the show so people who turned it on later didn't realize it was fake. And of course, Martians had never landed before, but Russia had invaded Georgia before, so those people were probably more likely to believe the broadcast than the people who heard Orson Welles. Imedi was extremely irresponsible to do this.

NEOWatcher
2010-Mar-15, 06:38 PM
...so those people were probably more likely to believe the broadcast than the people who heard Orson Welles. Imedi was extremely irresponsible to do this.
I'd probably use stronger words than "more likely" but I can't think of any at the moment.

This is the part that's worrisome to me.

Over in Moscow, Russia's state news agency, Interfax, flashed news of the apparent invasion and Saakashvili's demise. British and American correspondents abandoned their dinner parties, phoned their editors in London, and began hunting for their flak jackets.
It's so nice that the journalists verify the facts or check other sources.:rolleyes:
So anybody checking other sources for themselves could have run into one of these reports to make it even worse.

TheHalcyonYear
2010-Mar-16, 01:36 AM
Didn't Orson Welles have disclaimers throughout his broadcast? I heard that the Georgian station only had one disclaimer at the beginning of the show so people who turned it on later didn't realize it was fake. And of course, Martians had never landed before, but Russia had invaded Georgia before, so those people were probably more likely to believe the broadcast than the people who heard Orson Welles. Imedi was extremely irresponsible to do this.
Yeah, and Americans still panicked in huge numbers.

I would suggest that that we reflect on the fact that this country panicked over Martians (of all things) while the Georgians panicked over a neighboring country who had very recently invaded them.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-16, 11:14 AM
It's so nice that the journalists verify the facts or check other sources.:rolleyes:
Interfax was the other source and it confirmed the story, what more do you want?

jokergirl
2010-Mar-16, 11:19 AM
Of course, when Russia really did invade, that other Georgia also had a few panicked inhabitants...

;)

Strange
2010-Mar-16, 11:26 AM
Geez, who thought that up, and what the heck were they thinking? Inducing mass panic might be good for short term ratings, but heads are gonna roll over this.

I doubt it, sounds like it was supported by Saakashvili if not driven by him.

Saakashvili, however, was unapologetic. He declared that the threat of Russian attack remained "very realistic"

And the logic of that is? Sheesh.

Strange
2010-Mar-16, 11:28 AM
IIt's so nice that the journalists verify the facts or check other sources.:rolleyes:
So anybody checking other sources for themselves could have run into one of these reports to make it even worse.

On the other hand:

Gachechiladze said it took him 10 minutes to establish the story was, as he put it, [untrue]*

*Quote edited for BAUT

LaurelHS
2010-Mar-16, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Saakashvili, however, was unapologetic. He declared that the threat of Russian attack remained "very realistic"
And the logic of that is? Sheesh.
Agreed, it's not very logical. What happened to just discussing such threats in a hypothetical way? This makes me wonder what will happen if, heaven forbid, there is another attack. I wonder if people will hear about this on the news and think it's another hoax.

99gecko
2010-Mar-16, 06:38 PM
This story reminds me of the faked nuclear detonation that was "captured" by a Czech TV weather cam a few years back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=fZ2coRDs9FU&feature=related