PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Lauren Paint

peter eldergill
2010-Mar-15, 09:21 PM
I went to a local Home Depot today and was really disappointed to find out that Home Depot (in Canada at least) has replaced its Ralph Lauren line of paints with ...uggh...Martha Stewart paint

I always found Ralph Lauren paint to be a superior product and every wall in our house is painted with it. Now we'll have to colour match with something else. I've not seen RL paint anywhere else in Toronto.

Just thought I'd rant about that a bit.

Pete

novaderrik
2010-Mar-16, 03:21 AM
do some research and find out who actually made the Ralph Lauren paint..

TrAI
2010-Mar-16, 03:59 AM
I went to a local Home Depot today and was really disappointed to find out that Home Depot (in Canada at least) has replaced its Ralph Lauren line of paints with ...uggh...Martha Stewart paint

I always found Ralph Lauren paint to be a superior product and every wall in our house is painted with it. Now we'll have to colour match with something else. I've not seen RL paint anywhere else in Toronto.

Just thought I'd rant about that a bit.

Pete
:confused:

Can't you just take a sample with you to the shop and have them mix up some paint for you? At least over here shops selling paint will generaly do so, basically you just choose the class of paint, give them a sample and they put it in their spectrophotometer, then the paint mixer machine can mix up some paint with that color.

Or perhaps you are talking about some spesific line of premixed colors...

By the way, If you always used the old paint, how do you know the new one is inferior?

I suspect that neither of these people mixes the goop in their basements or anything like that, so the paint is probably made by some paint company, perhaps they are the same, or you could find some other paint from the same company as the paint that is no-longer available?

peter eldergill
2010-Mar-16, 12:57 PM
I don't know if the new one inferior, but I have used other brands of paint and have found the RL paint to be my favourite, usually going on in one coat with minor touchups here and there.

It is true that I don't know who makes the RL paint. I'll try to find out

Pete

peter eldergill
2010-Mar-16, 01:23 PM
Apparantly it's made by a Swedish (may not actually be Swedish) company

http://www.akzonobel.com/

They also make Glidden it seems (which is not all that popular here in Canada, but it is around)

Pete

schlaugh
2010-Mar-16, 01:52 PM
We used RL paint for a kitchen project and chose to cover up a yellow base with red. Four coats later...:rolleyes: We should have used a base of gray on top of the yellow and then the red. Good color but not the best coverage.

We just painted four rooms using Behr which is also sold by Home Depot. Consumer Reports (the not-for-profit research company) ranked Behr as No 1 in its ratings.

Buttercup
2010-Mar-16, 02:01 PM
Martha Stewart paint at Home Depot? :confused: Here in the States I think her paint (and other) line is exclusive to K-Mart.

Hopefully you'll find something which matches your satisfaction with Ralph Lauren paint. I'm not sure that's available in my area, but then I've not paid attention to paint brands lately. :lol:

schlaugh
2010-Mar-16, 02:17 PM
Martha Stewart paint at Home Depot? :confused: Here in the States I think her paint (and other) line is exclusive to K-Mart.

Yes, Home Depot sells her brand of paint in the US. We considered it for the latest projects. You can buy small samples of the MS paint (few ounces) to try out on a larger surface area. No, I don't work for HD. :)

rommel543
2010-Mar-16, 02:43 PM
That seriously sux. We used the RL in our last house and loved it. You put a tinted primer on the wall then you can get away with one coat (depending on how you paint). Excellent coverage and great colors.

We used Baer in a few of the smaller rooms and even with the tinted primer two and sometimes 3 coats were needed.

tlbs101
2010-Mar-16, 07:09 PM
For a very slow-going painting project in my home, I am currently using Behr (from H. Depot) and I like it. One coat has been sufficient, but I am covering an off-white color with a slightly darker beige-y color so, that makes a big difference as you can probably imagine.

TrAI
2010-Mar-16, 08:15 PM
I don't know if the new one inferior, but I have used other brands of paint and have found the RL paint to be my favourite, usually going on in one coat with minor touchups here and there.

It is true that I don't know who makes the RL paint. I'll try to find out

Pete

Apparantly it's made by a Swedish (may not actually be Swedish) company

http://www.akzonobel.com/

They also make Glidden it seems (which is not all that popular here in Canada, but it is around)

Pete
*looks at site*
Yes, and they also make the Martha Stewart Living paints.

SeanF
2010-Mar-16, 09:11 PM
You can buy small samples of the MS paint...
Doesn't that still come free with Windows?

uncommonsense
2010-Mar-16, 09:16 PM
I see beter thru paint free Windows.

kleindoofy
2010-Mar-16, 09:50 PM
... Home Depot ... has replaced its Ralph Lauren line of paints with ...uggh...Martha Stewart paint ...
Hey, just be happy it isn't Bob Ross paint. ;)

peter eldergill
2010-Mar-16, 10:48 PM
Well I suppose I should judge the quality of Martha Stewart paint but I I've done some work in the basement and need to do some touchup work. Knowing exactly what colour to buy makes things easier. Also, just because they are the same manufacturer doesn't guarantee that it's their highest quality.

Someone asked about colour matching. For whatever reason, RL paints never allowed colour matching. Perhaps they couldn't guarantee the the final product would be up to their standards or something. I probably will have to colour match for my repairs.

Kliendoofy I'm not sure who Bob Ross is.

Pete

peter eldergill
2010-Mar-16, 10:54 PM
About the red paints and number of coats.

A painter told me that the chemical process used in the pigments for red colours are different than other colours and for whatever reason does not allow for only 1 coat (even with tinted primer). I'm not sure of the reason or if that's even correct, but I'm pretty sure that you'll always need about 4 coats for red walls no matter what your brand.

Buttercup apparantly Martha Stewart's paint partnership with K-Mart (and Lowe's?) expired recently so HD got a new deal with them. I did a quick search but couldn't find out why HD dropped RL paints in favour of MS

Pete

kleindoofy
2010-Mar-16, 11:01 PM
... Kliendoofy I'm not sure who Bob Ross is. ...
There are instances in which ignorance can be blissful.

This is one of them. Believe me.

Trebuchet
2010-Mar-16, 11:07 PM

Just put in some happy little trees....

TrAI
2010-Mar-17, 01:55 AM
Well I suppose I should judge the quality of Martha Stewart paint but I I've done some work in the basement and need to do some touchup work. Knowing exactly what colour to buy makes things easier. Also, just because they are the same manufacturer doesn't guarantee that it's their highest quality.

Someone asked about colour matching. For whatever reason, RL paints never allowed colour matching. Perhaps they couldn't guarantee the the final product would be up to their standards or something. I probably will have to colour match for my repairs.

Kliendoofy I'm not sure who Bob Ross is.

Pete

Have you checked to see if the color you want is in the M.S. Living paint line? As I mentioned earlier, AkzoNobel makes the M.S. paints too, so there may not be much of a quality issue.

peter eldergill
2010-Mar-17, 03:20 AM
Trai I did catch that thanks, but funny enough, all the paint chips were actually gone the *one* time I looked. I'll check again

Pete

bella
2010-Sep-09, 04:37 AM
Ralph Lauren is manufactured by Akzo Nobel, which is the biggest paint manufacturer in the world. They also make Glidden, SICO, Dulux and other lesser known brands.

When Home Depot kicked Ralph Lauren off the shelves, nobody else was willing to pick it up, and so distribution was yanked in Canada. Which is sad. It's still available at paint retailers in the states.

But definitely you should be able to get it matched at a paint store. Try a Benjamin Moore store..they will take the time to get it perfectly matched for you.

Jim
2010-Sep-09, 04:49 PM
Hmmm, a bit of thread necromancy, but strangely coincidental for me. Yesterday the BW and I went to Home Depot to buy some paint. We wanted to match a can of Behr that we had bought some years back. Three things:

The HD had both Ralph Lauren and Martha Stewart paints on its shelves.

They could match the paint using the paint color name (the formulation was still in the Behr database).

They could also match the paint by "reading" the color; the associate put some of the old paint on a stirring stick, dried it, and placed it in an optical device that parsed the formulation.

Gillianren
2010-Sep-09, 06:19 PM

Actually, I find watching Bob Ross to be quite soothing and have contemplated getting some of the show on DVD so I can watch it when I'm having a panic attack.

Jeff Root
2010-Sep-09, 09:11 PM
I had one event happen to me that I'm sure would be considered a
panic attack. I can't imagine being able to watch a TV screen for
ten seconds in that condition. It felt like my adrenaline switch got
stuck in the "on" position and wouldn't turn off for three hours.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Gillianren
2010-Sep-09, 11:21 PM
I wouldn't have to watch. Just listen to that calm, soothing voice. Watching or listening to Bob Ross slows down the thought processes, and when I'm having a panic attack, it's just what I need.

Trebuchet
2010-Sep-09, 11:24 PM
Just remember to turn the volume back down before you change channels. You have to turn it way up just to hear the guy.

Fazor
2010-Sep-10, 08:09 PM
Hmmm, a bit of thread necromancy, but strangely coincidental for me. Yesterday the BW and I went to Home Depot to buy some paint. We wanted to match a can of Behr that we had bought some years back. Three things:

The HD had both Ralph Lauren and Martha Stewart paints on its shelves.

I thought I had seen Ralph Lauren paint somewhere, but I rarely go to Home Depot. We go to Lowes (it's one of those, "I hate this company, but it's too [darn] convenient" things.) I don't think it was there though.

We just painted last week too. We use Valspar. It's always worked well for us. I'd use Glidden for no other reason than they sponsor the Columbus Crew. See, marketing DOES work! Only problem is, it's a Home Depot line, and as previously stated, I rarely go there. I hate how the store is laid out.

Trebuchet
2010-Sep-11, 03:22 AM
I'm not particularly fond of either HD or Lowes. I probably go to Lowes more often simply because its more conveniently located when I'm home, plus I have a couple of gift cards from my "attaboy" points at work when I retired. When I'm in Port Townsend, as I am now, I go to the local hardware store which has four times as much actual hardware as Lowes and HD put together. One thing I hate about both big boxes is how they have the entrance at one end and the exit at the other, so it's impossible to park without a long walk.

Celestial Mechanic
2010-Sep-11, 04:58 AM
It could be worse. They could have replaced Ralph Lauren paint with Calvin Klein paint.

Picture it: all their paint commercials would be in black and white, featuring paint-spattered anorexic twits acting as if they're suffering the torments of the damned.