PDA

View Full Version : Total Beginner (DSLR Lens)

gre99y
2010-Mar-16, 11:54 PM
Hi,
Firstly i woulld like to say hi to everyone. I have just registered but have been reading up for the past couple of weeks and the forum is a credit to its members.

I have a Canon EOS 450D + 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit Lens and a CANON EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II. I have been a keen photographer for quite a few years. I would like to try a few night shots, nothing as serious as a lot of you guys are doing - mostly star trails and moonscapes. They seem quite appealing and a fairly low cost way to try out astrophotography before i spend any serious money on scopes etc.

I am on the verge of buying a telephoto lens for use during the day (Budget is around 200) and was wondering if anyone could recommend a lens for my camera that would also be good to use for astrophotography.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
and keep up the good work it is a very interesting read!
:clap:

RickJ
2010-Mar-17, 04:39 AM
Not many here can help. You might get better results at the Cloudy Nights DSLR forum where lots of DSLR users hang out.

Rick

stu
2010-Mar-17, 07:11 AM
You could try posting over at thephotoforum.com . They won't be able to help much with the astrophotography, but they can recommend the best telephoto lens for the money. You'll want to get something that's likely to be 70-200 or 70-300 mm. Ideally, as fast as you can get (lower f/numbers).

As for doing astrophotography with a DSLR and standard lenses, I've posted several guides over there in the Articles of Interest section on basic astrophotography, and I've an extensive guide on lunar astrophotography with an SLR (http://photos.sjrdesign.net/documents/photoguide_moon.pdf).