PDA

View Full Version : Calling it quits!

Trebuchet
2010-Mar-17, 07:13 PM
After 37 years in the workforce (39 if I count the military), I've decided to retire at the end of next month. It's a bit of a scary prospect but the time seems right. For one thing, if I'm going to do it at all this year, I may as well have the summer off!

I've got a good deal to do so I don't expect to be bored right away. The garden needs rehabilitation at the vacation home as does the landscaping at the primary place. Then there's my mother-in-law's home (she lives with us now) and my late parents' place.

I may also be able to do a little part time work at the current company on the side. I'd like to do that if possible but it can't be the deciding factor.

Any retirees out there? How've you found it to be?

Edit to add: And of course, the world needs a couple of nifty new catapults!

LookingSkyward
2010-Mar-17, 08:21 PM
Good for you!

slang
2010-Mar-17, 10:16 PM

And awesome high speed camera video captures of the launches, considering some of the discussions I read about how the payload leaves the sling. So, if you're eligible for a parting gift.. ask for a slow-mo cam :)

redshifter
2010-Mar-17, 10:20 PM
When my uncle retired, he said every day is like Sunday afternoon, and every night is like Saturday night. I'm just young enough to not be a baby boomer, I'll probaby have to work for 3 years after I'm dead...

Gillianren
2010-Mar-18, 12:10 AM
So, you know, being retired might give you a little more time to travel around the Sound . . . .

Trebuchet
2010-Mar-18, 02:24 AM
So, you know, being retired might give you a little more time to travel around the Sound . . . .

The thought had occurred to me! Probably easier to make it to events like Ren Faires, too.

LookingSkyward
2010-Mar-18, 03:21 AM
If you're ever headed up near the Woolley, let me know :)

Cougar
2010-Mar-18, 03:24 AM
Calling it quits...

Yeah, you might as well take the summer off. Sounds good to me. Have a good one!

Trebuchet
2010-Mar-18, 03:48 AM
If you're ever headed up near the Woolley, let me know :)

I get up that way, to the Burlington Pumpkin Pitch, at least once a year. TreBarbaric is from your vicinity, as is the most impressive J-Buchet from Janicki Industries. Look for us in Burlington the last weekend of September!

LookingSkyward
2010-Mar-18, 04:11 AM
I will do so!

tashirosgt
2010-Mar-18, 06:23 AM
Trebuchet,

I'll be interested to know if your observations on retirement match my own. Specifically, I completely overestimated my rate of doing projects in retirement. I think the psychology was that that I looked at what I accomplished in 3 or 4 hours of free time on weekdays and extrapolated to what could be done in 8 or 10 hours per weekday. The truth is that you won't want to work as hard for 8 to 10 hours a day as hard you previously did in your free time. People don't realize how intense their free time labors are until they try to sustain that effort for an entire day.

mugaliens
2010-Mar-18, 07:24 AM

Slim margins! But doable. Thing of it is, I've got another 19 years to go to match your 39, so it's back to the workforce in the Fall.

MAPNUT
2010-Mar-18, 02:17 PM
Trebuchet,

I'll be interested to know if your observations on retirement match my own. Specifically, I completely overestimated my rate of doing projects in retirement. I think the psychology was that that I looked at what I accomplished in 3 or 4 hours of free time on weekdays and extrapolated to what could be done in 8 or 10 hours per weekday. The truth is that you won't want to work as hard for 8 to 10 hours a day as hard you previously did in your free time. People don't realize how intense their free time labors are until they try to sustain that effort for an entire day.

Very interesting. While doing my most recent major project, I noticed that I was working very slowly, just because of my advancing age and my desire not to hurt myself (job involved a power saw, lifting heavy objects, and working at the very edge of a steep bank). Still I worked 10 hours a day to finish the job on the available weekends; I can see how I might let a weekend expand to a 5-day work week if it was all free time.

My hobby which I anticipate will be my retirement avocation is landscape painting. Now when weekends are my only available time to paint, I find it very difficult to get started as painting feels like work to me. Hopefully if my 40-hour weekly work block becomes available, I'll get into the routine of sitting down to paint.

BigDon
2010-Mar-18, 03:02 PM
Ya scared me, Treb!

I thought you were having a meltdown and going to quit the boards!

This is much better. :)

Trebuchet
2010-Mar-18, 03:30 PM
Trebuchet,

I'm trying not to be excessively optimistic about how much I'll get done. And I've seen how little I sometimes do on weekends and days off. But hopefully I'll be able to at least do some things during the day when I'm normally working, and in the evenings when I'm tired and have had a distinct tendency to sit in the comfy chair in front of the tube with a glass of wine at my side and the cat purring on my lap!

Larry Jacks
2010-Mar-18, 03:57 PM
When I visited the home of some retired friends, I saw a funny sign on their refrigerator. It said: "You think work is hard, try retirement!" followed by a long list of honey-do's, and the statement, "And no days off!"

I guess I'm about 13 years from retirement (turn 53 next month) if everything goes well.

Torsten
2010-Mar-18, 04:34 PM
For one thing, if I'm going to do it at all this year, I may as well have the summer off!

Yes, no time like the present!

I'll be watching for the pictures.

Cheers!

mike alexander
2010-Mar-18, 05:52 PM
I've had similar thoughts, what with sixty creeping up in the fall.

The most important thing would be the ability to sleep in mornings so I could do some observing at night. My wife said that as long as I cook dinner she's fine with it. Plus, I'd get some quality writing time.

I say do it. Time is not your friend.

danscope
2010-Mar-18, 05:57 PM
Hi Trebuchet, Congratulations to you,Sir on reaching your next stage in life. Now, more than ever, you can do something for "YOU" !!!!!!! Part time work is good.
You decide. You enjoy. No pressure. And good luck with your next momentum machine, acceleratus incredibilus. :)

Best regards,

Dan , semi-retired.

rommel543
2010-Mar-18, 06:03 PM
I get up that way, to the Burlington Pumpkin Pitch, at least once a year. TreBarbaric is from your vicinity, as is the most impressive J-Buchet from Janicki Industries. Look for us in Burlington the last weekend of September!

I was watching footage of the Punkin Chuckin in Delaware. When they brought the trebuchets on I couldn't help but think of you.

Gillianren
2010-Mar-18, 07:14 PM
Obviously, I am not yet of retirement age, but I am on disability, so some of the same issues apply. Take my advice for what it's worth.

It is very easy to get very bored. This is exaggerated for me because of my age, I think. My boyfriend and all my friends have jobs and lives. It means I spend a lot of time alone, and that can get pretty frustrating. So I set myself things to do, and I have a bit of a routine. I wake up in the morning and watch a movie. (Today's movie is Kurosawa's Kagemusha.) If the weather is nice, which it has been the last few days, I go for a walk around our block--about a mile. And so forth. My routine varies based on my health, but I do try to have one.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-18, 07:23 PM
Today's movie is Kurosawa's Kagemusha.
I like that one.

Gillianren
2010-Mar-18, 08:36 PM
I feel it would go a little smoother if I knew more Japanese history, but I still gave it an eight. It also, on topic, is three hours long, which did occupy a good chunk of my day!

Trebuchet
2010-Mar-18, 10:17 PM
Obviously, I am not yet of retirement age, but I am on disability, so some of the same issues apply. Take my advice for what it's worth.

It is very easy to get very bored. This is exaggerated for me because of my age, I think. My boyfriend and all my friends have jobs and lives. It means I spend a lot of time alone, and that can get pretty frustrating. So I set myself things to do, and I have a bit of a routine. I wake up in the morning and watch a movie. (Today's movie is Kurosawa's Kagemusha.) If the weather is nice, which it has been the last few days, I go for a walk around our block--about a mile. And so forth. My routine varies based on my health, but I do try to have one.

Boredom is definitely a risk. I've got plenty of stuff to do, at least for the immediate future, but I have to motivate myself to actually do it instead of sitting around being bored and unproductive! I do hope to be able to travel a little. We've not been able to do that the past five years while looking after my folks.

BigDon
2010-Mar-19, 06:38 PM
Shoot, since it's spring and all I'm just waiting on my guts to recover from minor surgury, then I'm off to apply back at my old moving outfit, AMS Relocation.

I just cannot maintain my desired level of fitness without furniture moving. I fricken' tired of looking pregnant. Though I've lost 15 pounds since January. I'm down to 225, but it's not the *good* 225 I'm used to. And as one of my foster sons put it, "Don, your arms! They look....normal!"

And a Bowflex just doesn't do it. To heck with "40 minutes, three times a week." How about 40 to 50 hours a week? And they pay me! My customers would often ask me what gym I went to and the stock answer in furniture moving is, "My job is my gym."

PraedSt
2010-Mar-19, 06:48 PM
IAny retirees out there? How've you found it to be?

My dad retired a few years back, and mum says he's been unbearable ever since. Keep busy if you can, if only for the sake of your nearest and dearest. :)

And congrats..

danscope
2010-Mar-20, 04:14 AM
The channel box kills as many people as guns or cars.

Trebuchet
2010-Apr-28, 03:48 AM
Three days to go. I'm getting nervous. Unlike most who retire from my company, I'm working right up to the end. And I haven't even started cleaning out my desk yet!

John Jaksich
2010-Apr-28, 04:01 AM
My humble advice is to keep your body and mind as active as possible--I am caring for my elderly father and he has mobility issues but his mind is sharp as a tack. He retired at 65 and is now 95!

closetgeek
2010-Apr-28, 11:10 AM
Enjoy retirement! Sounds like you have a lot waiting to be done once you are done. Don't do it all in one weekend :)

chrissy
2010-Apr-28, 11:49 AM
Three days to go. I'm getting nervous. Unlike most who retire from my company, I'm working right up to the end. And I haven't even started cleaning out my desk yet!

Think of it as starting a new life Treb, when my father retired he was so bored and he drove my mother up the walls, he got himself a part time job with his friends who were his previous employer driving and now and then doing his old foremans job. Now his health isn't as good as it used to be, he just potters around in the garden and the greenhouse nursing his plants and tomatoes.

Don't be nervous about it, you are going to be your own boss.

Swift
2010-Apr-28, 12:32 PM
Just think how much more time you'll have to hurl large objects long distances! And to hang around on BAUT! It will all be good.

mahesh
2010-Apr-28, 12:47 PM
Three days to go. I'm getting nervous...

Don't be. As this beautiful planet orbits around her star, you'll have a fantastic ride on it.

best regards

Trebuchet
2010-Apr-29, 04:59 PM
Spending the day cleaning out my desk area and computer. And being taken out to lunch shortly. There's a co-worker who often does elaborate and embarrassing "roasts" for people leaving. I'm hoping he might not show up.....

I plan to keep busy. My parents set a good example, staying very active right up to the point where their health deteriorated. I plan to emulate the first part and by doing so, postpone the second!

Torsten
2010-Apr-29, 06:04 PM
Sounds like a good plan! (If you the survive the roast - I'm sure it will be just fine. . . .)

Cheers

Skyfire
2010-Apr-29, 07:19 PM
Good luck from one for who it was the best thing I did! I got early retirement out of the fact they decided to move my whole office to India!

Spending the day cleaning out my desk area and computer.

That is kind of the worst and best thing about it .... all those memories (well, there were in my desk!) .... but knowing I had many other things I wanted to do, and work would no longer get in the way!

I plan to keep busy. My parents set a good example, staying very active right up to the point where their health deteriorated. I plan to emulate the first part and by doing so, postpone the second!

I seem to have never been busier! But at least the things I do now, I can get done when I want. And weekends are no longer the 'pressure times' when some of those household jobs just HAD to be done, or not get completed until NEXT weekend .... or the next one we are not away! And if something happens to prevent me doing a job today, well there's always tomorrow .... or just take the day off!

I still take on the odd bit of work, but as and when I want!

Occam
2010-Apr-29, 09:37 PM
I envy you, I really do. I've been working for 37 years and will probably have to continue 'til I drop. Enjoy your life and good luck

Moose
2010-Apr-29, 09:37 PM
My father has been quipping off and on since retirement that he'd have to go back to work to get some rest. He's never been busier.

Trebuchet
2010-Apr-30, 04:02 PM
My father has been quipping off and on since retirement that he'd have to go back to work to get some rest. He's never been busier.

I hear a lot of retired folks saying that. It's generally a choice, of course, not a necessity, and the right choice in my opinion. I'm going to have to make sure I don't become a couch potato.

Last day. They took me out to lunch yesterday, and today I go to the main plant where most of the group is for cake and goodbyes. And to get roasted -- we've got an employee who does some really elaborate, funny, and embarrassing farewells!

Fazor
2010-Apr-30, 04:05 PM
Last day. They took me out to lunch yesterday, and today I go to the main plant where most of the group is for cake and goodbyes. And to get roasted -- we've got an employee who does some really elaborate, funny, and embarrassing farewells!

Now I'm picturing the episode of The Office [American version] where Michael Scott sets up a roast in his honor. He wasn't retiring though.

Trebuchet
2010-May-01, 12:13 AM
Well, it's all over. I've been toasted and roasted, turned over my badge, and walked out the gate. I feel very strange, but it'll be even stranger come Monday.

The roast was not at all bad -- the guy who does them spent most of it recalling a meeting which I immediately recognized, at which a singularly stupid proposal was being put forward. I had apparently turned to him and said "This is embarrassing." I don't recall that, but it sounds right. Remarkably, that particular proposal did not go forward!

Fazor
2010-May-01, 11:01 AM
Well congratulations! And now for something completely different . . . !

mugaliens
2010-May-01, 11:44 AM
Just think how much more time you'll have to hurl large objects long distances! And to hang around on BAUT! It will all be good.

I think I had more time before I retired. My mean daily post count is in steady decline.

Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do when I grow up. Trying my hand as a writer - working so far, but it takes a good deal of time.

neilzero
2010-May-03, 04:23 AM
I retired at about age 60 and have thrived on idleness. I'm now age 78 and in reasonably good health. Baut forum and other forums have been like returning to college for me. My wife has worked a few hours per week at the job she retired from about 12 years ago. She seems to need the continuation and enjoys spending her pay. Neil

DrRocket
2010-May-03, 04:53 AM

My Dad retired at 57, and it took him about 3 milliseconds to adjust.

I retired at 54 and it did not take me as long as it took Dad.

Best decision I ever made.

You can do, study, and learn anything that you want. Every day is Saturday.

Trebuchet
2010-May-08, 02:42 AM
A minor update. I just checked with my wife because I couldn't remember what day of the week it was and learned it's Friday. That means I've been off a whole week now! I think I can adjust to this.

mugaliens
2010-May-08, 04:49 AM
I hear you, Treb. If it weren't for my daily morning activity of checking with Google Calendar, I'd putter away the day doing all sorts of fun, non-productive things while not knowing what day it is.

Torsten
2010-May-08, 05:11 PM
. . . I think I can adjust to this.

I think you have!

Cheers.

RalofTyr
2010-May-20, 12:41 AM
For retirement, I plan on never retiring. I always want to be doing something.

I've heard Buenos Aires is a good place to retire. The cost of living is low and life is good if you get paid in American dollars or Euros.

Shoot, since it's spring and all I'm just waiting on my guts to recover from minor surgury, then I'm off to apply back at my old moving outfit, AMS Relocation.

I just cannot maintain my desired level of fitness without furniture moving. I fricken' tired of looking pregnant. Though I've lost 15 pounds since January. I'm down to 225, but it's not the *good* 225 I'm used to. And as one of my foster sons put it, "Don, your arms! They look....normal!"

And a Bowflex just doesn't do it. To heck with "40 minutes, three times a week." How about 40 to 50 hours a week? And they pay me! My customers would often ask me what gym I went to and the stock answer in furniture moving is, "My job is my gym."

How tall are you? I'm six feet and 210. I have a slight belly, but I don't look pregnant. I get about two to four hours a week swimming.

And I might contact the old Moving Co. I used to work for. I've got Mondays and Wednesdays off and I could use some exercise.

Trebuchet
2010-Jul-01, 04:53 AM
Bump! for an update. It's been two months now, and I've not regretted it a minute. I'm getting a few things done that I couldn't before, getting a little more sleep, and not really missing work a bit. No guarantees for the long term of course, but I'm glad I did it.

danscope
2010-Jul-12, 08:07 PM
Great!! I just knew that you would adjust well. More time for good viewing, as well .
Best regards,
Dan

Tensor
2010-Jul-12, 11:26 PM
I was forced out of the workforce last year, due to disability. The concerns you voiced at the beginning of the thread were running through my head also (with the added problem of no paycheck and not being able to use my pension account without major penalties). However, things have worked out and I basically ended up retired early. If you don't count having to live with my disability symptoms and secondary issues
So, I'm getting a few more things done (when I'm able), getting a little more sleep (naps are your friend) and not missing work (hmmmm that sounds familiar) ;). I don't have any guarantees either, but then again, I don't have a choice. Heath wise I'm much better off and I'm glad it happened.

Trebuchet
2010-Jul-13, 01:54 AM
Tensor, sorry to here about the disability. Naps are indeed your friend! Especially when they include the little black cat purring on my lap. He's a legacy from my parents, 19 years old, and incredibly sweet.

I did have a little fun last week -- the prototype of one of my last projects was being installed in a test rig and I conned the folks still on the job into letting me visit. It worked better than I could possibly have hoped, solving multiple problems and getting rid of a legacy component that's been a problem for forty years. That was a very enjoyable day.

The company allows retirees to come back on a contract basis after six months away. I'll likely do that part time in the fall, just to have some contact with old friends and make a little extra cash. No way I'd do it full time, though.