PDA

View Full Version : Dark Stars

Xibalba
2010-Mar-18, 04:54 AM
I've read a little about an astrophysicist (not sure about that) who developed a theory about the first stars of the universe, being a lot bigger and brighter than today's stars because they were lit by dark matter (I think).

That's all I know though, can someone shed some light on this please?

2010-Mar-18, 05:25 AM
Universe Today: Did Dark Matter Power Early Stars? (http://www.universetoday.com/2009/01/02/did-dark-matter-power-early-stars/)

The first stars to light the early universe may have been powered by dark matter, according to a new study. Researchers from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor call these very first stars "Dark Stars," and propose that dark matter heating provided the energy for these stars instead of fusion. The researchers propose that with a high concentration of dark matter in the early Universe, the theoretical particles called Weakly Interacting Massive Particles(WIMPs), collected inside the first stars and annihilated themselves to produce a heat source to power the stars.

Digix
2010-Mar-18, 06:11 PM
So we have just speculation about existence of WIMPs and there is already bunch of theories that use that specualation as stong theory.

Swift
2010-Mar-18, 06:19 PM
So we have just speculation about existence of WIMPs and there is already bunch of theories that use that specualation as stong theory.
I would say it is more like some hypotheses about the nature of dark matter have lead to speculations about the implications.