PDA

View Full Version : Obama Made Mistake Cancelling NASA’s Constellation; Sen. Bill Nelson

Fraser
2010-Mar-21, 07:10 AM
"The President made a mistake," said Sen. Bill Nelson (D) of Florida in referring to President Barack Obama’s recent decision to completely terminate Project Constellation from the 2011 NASA Budget. “Because that is the perception. That he killed the space program." “I know him [Obama] to be a vigorous supporter of the manned [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2010/03/20/obama-made-mistake-cancelling-nasa%e2%80%99s-constellation-sen-bill-nelson/)

BigDon
2010-Mar-21, 10:11 AM
Are you guys trailing these stories in front of me as bait, or can we really talk about this?

No ad homs, no petty garbage, but this is the politics of space!

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-21, 11:31 AM
“I know him [Obama] to be a vigorous supporter of the manned [...]
Wha'?!?
Cutting the science budget was the expressed policy of both candidates in the last election, there's nothing surprising about it.

KaiYeves
2010-Mar-22, 12:51 AM
Fraser, please don't remind me of what happened. Breaking up is hard enough without constant reminders.

TheHalcyonYear
2010-Mar-22, 02:29 AM
When there's no money cuts have to come from somewhere.

Sardonicone
2010-Mar-22, 02:49 AM
When there's no money cuts have to come from somewhere.

That's just it though, Obama is increasing NASA's budget, not cutting it.

However, if we want to go by your argument....the 3.6 Trillion Dollar federal budget is far and away the largest budget ever proposed...it's not even close.

The "there's no money" argument doesn't work well when you're spending it at a record clip.

TheHalcyonYear
2010-Mar-22, 05:08 AM
That's just it though, Obama is increasing NASA's budget, not cutting it.

However, if we want to go by your argument....the 3.6 Trillion Dollar federal budget is far and away the largest budget ever proposed...it's not even close.

The "there's no money" argument doesn't work well when you're spending it at a record clip.
uh, that's almost all borrowed money that is being used to stimulate the economy in the midst of the worst economic crisis since the great depression. From what I understand, Obama is looking to target the funds allocated to NASA in a way that his aids say will provide maximum stimulus.

BigDon
2010-Mar-22, 06:08 PM
I actually thought I had a long shot of seeing men land on Mars. I thought the Moon was well within my projected life span of three score and ten.

I don't think these things anymore.You don't put engineers in a closet and wait for a new budget. We lose those engineers! They have to get other jobs now and those employers are going to make them sign contracts.

And it's NOT about the money. To quote from the comments section:

The cost of science and exploration on the US budget comes as always out as a red herring. US can afford this if it wants to, it is a minute part of the budget and there are less important parts to cut.

and we just spent three billion tax dollars on used cars! :mad:

Because we always make our money back on space exploration!

Everytime the navigator in my brother's car says "turn right" I'm reminded of it! Every MRI I have, every old lady with a new hip I see. Every time I answer the phone in my pocket!

Because it's a source of national pride! Don't know what else I can add to that!

Because it's the only God :silenced: peace time activity that advances our civilisation and technology as much as warfare does! And the only time anybody dies is by accident! Nothing else comes close to that! Engineers don't do this for the money! They want to build real space ships. Not special effects, not industrial light and magic.They do this because they want to build a space vehicle that will by God put real men on the real moon.

This was what separated reality from the woo! This is Applied Science!

And the Stating The Obvious award goes to the good Senator from Florida for spelling out that " “Because that is the perception. That he killed the space program."

Let me take a breather here a moment. I think I'm doing pretty good so far. I have more but I have to calm down again. I'll post this and come back.

dgavin
2010-Mar-23, 12:02 PM
I guess i'm a bit cynical about our space program and it's funding...

Far as politics is concerned it's treated like a luxury item, and in every time of budget woe's it is the first thing to be cut because of the public natue of it.

This is not how I myself look at it, but it's how i see it being treated at times.

R.A.F.
2010-Mar-23, 02:13 PM
I actually thought I had a long shot of seeing men land on Mars. I thought the Moon was well within my projected life span of three score and ten.

I don't think these things anymore.

Tell me about it....and I have the "disadvantage" of being 5 years older than you...it really does make me sad beyond discription.

TheHalcyonYear
2010-Mar-23, 11:50 PM
I guess i'm a bit cynical about our space program and it's funding...

Far as politics is concerned it's treated like a luxury item, and in every time of budget woe's it is the first thing to be cut because of the public natue of it.

This is not how I myself look at it, but it's how i see it being treated at times.
It is being treated that way because that seems to be the way that most Americans look on it. In a time when funding is short, people are more worried about education, police and fire protection, and other government services (both local and national) than in the space program.