PDA

View Full Version : Magic the Gathering TCG

Fazor
2010-Mar-22, 03:49 PM
Anyone play? I never did. Me and a buddy got big into collecting the Star Wars TCG cards back in grade school, but never Magic.

Then, the other night they ran the episode of Big Bang theory that had the guys (minus Sheldon) playing in the apartment, then later Raj convincing Sheldon to join the tourney. The episode with Will Wheton? I'm not a Star Trek guy, forgive me.

(In the episode they weren't playing 'Magic', but something similar. Don't know if it was a real different game, or if it was supposed to be 'Magic' without using the actual name)

Anyway, ever since watching it, I've wanted to play! It makes me feel geeky even for a place like BAUT, but it appeals to both my fantasy gaming side and my collector side.

My brother had a bunch of Magic cards. He never played, I don't think. But he liked collecting them for the art. I intend to find out if my mother's kept our old cards around (I had a ton of baseball and football cards too) and if so, I'll see if I can raid them for the Magic cards and convince my brother or girlfriend to play. Problem is, my dorkyness far surpasses that of anyone I'd actually be able to play with.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-22, 06:01 PM
One of my friends are into collecting them and the gamer's group I'm in with him tried playing it a couple of times, it's ok.
Note that it's best when played by 5 people due to the opposition pentagram and game play really suffers when you're fewer because not everyone has 2 people opposing and 2 people helping.

Personally I prefer INWO (http://www.sjgames.com/inwo/) to it, partly because I like the artwork (http://www.sjgames.com/inwo/artwork/inwo-flyer.gif), partly because it's more flexible in the number of players.

pzkpfw
2010-Mar-22, 06:26 PM
Played it once with a friend who was quite into it. Didn't really get into it myself.

Another friend had a big stack of series 1 (or whatever equivalent applies) cards - that his wife sold for a dollar at a garage sale.

korjik
2010-Mar-22, 06:45 PM
Played it once with a friend who was quite into it. Didn't really get into it myself.

Another friend had a big stack of series 1 (or whatever equivalent applies) cards - that his wife sold for a dollar at a garage sale.

Do you mean original edition cards!?!?! If you do, that is a new car sold for a buck.

korjik
2010-Mar-22, 06:47 PM
It is a fun game, but the collectable element has been pretty horrible to the gaming industry. Really turned me off when I saw some guy ripping off a kid by offering a bunch of common cards for a rare.

Fazor
2010-Mar-22, 06:59 PM
We really do not have any open comic / trading card stores in this city anymore. I know the little shop we frequented in the town I grew up in is closed too, but there's a gaming store in that city that probably sells cards.

Collectibles just aren't what they used to be.

Fazor
2010-Mar-22, 07:07 PM
It is a fun game, but the collectable element has been pretty horrible to the gaming industry. Really turned me off when I saw some guy ripping off a kid by offering a bunch of common cards for a rare.

The problem was that collectible cards became such a big and lucrative thing that everyone wanted a piece, or more accurately, lots of pieces. But the only reason they were valuable to begin with was because of their relative rarity.

Supply killed the demand. As I mentioned in the OP, me and my buddy were into collecting the Star Wars CCG (the original 90's game, not the 200(4?) reboot. I remember how excited I was when I finally got an original series Darth Vader. How rare and awesome it was. Or seemed to be.

But they were still so mass produced that here, 14 or so years later, after the series has been dead and out of print and a new one by a new company made, and the most I see the card going for on eBay is $22. * Yippe . . .

And sports cards? Forget'about'it.

*I take that back, I was looking at one from a different set. From the original set, it's only selling for $9.

korjik
2010-Mar-22, 07:30 PM
The problem was that collectible cards became such a big and lucrative thing that everyone wanted a piece, or more accurately, lots of pieces. But the only reason they were valuable to begin with was because of their relative rarity.

Supply killed the demand. As I mentioned in the OP, me and my buddy were into collecting the Star Wars CCG (the original 90's game, not the 200(4?) reboot. I remember how excited I was when I finally got an original series Darth Vader. How rare and awesome it was. Or seemed to be.

But they were still so mass produced that here, 14 or so years later, after the series has been dead and out of print and a new one by a new company made, and the most I see the card going for on eBay is $22. * Yippe . . .

And sports cards? Forget'about'it.

*I take that back, I was looking at one from a different set. From the original set, it's only selling for $9.

A beta run black lotus is still $2500.

An alpha or beta run original edition card is a slightly different cut than the later edition cards, plus the border is a different color (IIRC). Since you can tell them apart, they still have their value.

Moose
2010-Mar-22, 07:33 PM
Used to play. It got too expensive, and less than fun when I started with ULs. My friends had gotten on board during the Beta. Try making a deck on the cheap that can reliably compete with a Black Lotus, an Icy Manipulator, and assorted Moxes.

Moose
2010-Mar-22, 07:33 PM
A beta run black lotus is still $2500.

Holy moley. That much now?

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Mar-22, 07:58 PM
Tried magic for a while never got into either. Collected some of the Star Trek game cards. In my first month a bought a packet with the rarest card in the series, Picard.
Still have them.

mike alexander
2010-Mar-22, 10:15 PM
My son had zillions that he gave away years ago. Very smart of him, I think.

Taeolas
2010-Mar-22, 10:46 PM
I got some cards when I was in University, but never played.

A Coworker got hooked on them recently, and hooked me on them, so I picked up some of the Worldwake starters and a pile of boosters. I raid every other Friday, but the Fridays I do have available, I head out to the local shop for Friday Night Magic. Had a good time even though I can't win. (I won one game (out of a 3 game round) last Friday and 1 round and 1 game the time before.

Wizards has a search tool you can do to find local shops that do FNM if you want to go check it out.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Mar-22, 10:50 PM
I got some cards when I was in University, but never played.

A Coworker got hooked on them recently, and hooked me on them, so I picked up some of the Worldwake starters and a pile of boosters. I raid every other Friday, but the Fridays I do have available, I head out to the local shop for Friday Night Magic. Had a good time even though I can't win. (I won one game (out of a 3 game round) last Friday and 1 round and 1 game the time before.

Wizards has a search tool you can do to find local shops that do FNM if you want to go check it out.
Is there still that shop nearby sweetwaters.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Mar-23, 12:53 AM
That just happened to be where I got most of my cards.

Taeolas
2010-Mar-23, 02:54 AM
Near Sweetwaters? (Well that's iRock now). I think you mean Strange Adventures; it's on York street now, across the road from where Mazukas used to be. He's still there, but he's mainly a comic shop. (My pull list is through there). He does sell boosters, 5 for 20$.

Across the river, the Card Shop in Brookside has the best prices in general on supplies I think, since his prices include taxes.

And the official FNM site is Gamezilla, up on Prospect, next to Dooley's, in the same building as TD. He sells packs 5$ each, Buy 3 get 2$ off. (so 3 for 12$).

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Mar-23, 03:25 AM
Near Sweetwaters? (Well that's iRock now). I think you mean Strange Adventures; it's on York street now, across the road from where Mazukas used to be. He's still there, but he's mainly a comic shop. (My pull list is through there). He does sell boosters, 5 for 20$.

Across the river, the Card Shop in Brookside has the best prices in general on supplies I think, since his prices include taxes.

And the official FNM site is Gamezilla, up on Prospect, next to Dooley's, in the same building as TD. He sells packs 5$ each, Buy 3 get 2$ off. (so 3 for 12$).
Haven't been downtown much on the few trips up. It was not Strange Adventures. I guess he went out of business.

korjik
2010-Mar-23, 03:45 AM
Used to play. It got too expensive, and less than fun when I started with ULs. My friends had gotten on board during the Beta. Try making a deck on the cheap that can reliably compete with a Black Lotus, an Icy Manipulator, and assorted Moxes.

Moxes and the Lotus went out of print almost immediately and were forbidden in tournament play. At least they were a decade ago. It may have changed. Considering that they were used to make insta-kill decks, it isnt suprising that they were banned.

And thanks for reminding me of another reason I dont like magic.....

:)

Moose
2010-Mar-23, 10:33 AM
They weren't forbidden from tournament play (back under UL when I was playing). They were restricted to one of each. We played under tournament rules and I tracked the errata lists pretty religiously while I played (hoping in vain for a further nerfing of the beta cards.)

And yeah, one of my friends could get a first (or second) turn Sengir Vampire out one game in perhaps three, with a second following very rapidly after that.

Heh. I came up with an annoyance deck at one point: blue-white centered on mana denial, encumbering enchantments, otherwise and countering everything my opponent could manage to cast. Offense was centered around Tim (and Tim-stick) based artillery support. Tried it on one of my friends. The game took three solid hours to resolve. I won, and we were both in danger of losing to library run-out. Heh. He made me promise to never _EVER_ use that deck again. :D

korjik
2010-Mar-23, 03:50 PM
They weren't forbidden from tournament play (back under UL when I was playing). They were restricted to one of each. We played under tournament rules and I tracked the errata lists pretty religiously while I played (hoping in vain for a further nerfing of the beta cards.)

And yeah, one of my friends could get a first (or second) turn Sengir Vampire out one game in perhaps three, with a second following very rapidly after that.

Heh. I came up with an annoyance deck at one point: blue-white centered on mana denial, encumbering enchantments, otherwise and countering everything my opponent could manage to cast. Offense was centered around Tim (and Tim-stick) based artillery support. Tried it on one of my friends. The game took three solid hours to resolve. I won, and we were both in danger of losing to library run-out. Heh. He made me promise to never _EVER_ use that deck again. :D

A third reason I dont like Magic. Waaay to easy to make the game no fun.

I thought that they had pretty much banned all the beta, but then again, I didnt keep track. I got a little alpha and a bit of beta cards, but sold them off after about 4 months. After fighting a couple power decks from people who literally spent $1000 on cards, I couldnt do it anymore. I dont handle frustration real well, to the point where if I get frustrated at a computer game, I end up percussion tuning my keyboard. For some reason, percussion tuning your opponents attitude gets you in trouble...

:D

stu
2010-Mar-24, 01:44 AM
I picked it up about 6 months ago, my bf got me hooked. I only get Zendikar, M10, and later cards, though, somewhat limiting myself but also making it easier to constrain what I want. There are a *few* exceptions, though, like when I picked up the "premium" foil sliver deck and then added a Door of Destinies to it. There are a few other older cards, I'm looking at, like Lich's Mirror.

A major drawback is that when I started off, I won practically every game. I'm not bragging - I would win 8 or 9 out of 10 against him. But now he's beefed up his decks - even though he's been playing for 15 years (since alpha) - and he's winning around 40%. :(

Tobin Dax
2010-Mar-24, 04:54 AM
Tried magic for a while never got into either. Collected some of the Star Trek game cards. In my first month a bought a packet with the rarest card in the series, Picard.
Still have them.
I don't think that Picard was more rare than any other rare cards in either edition of Decipher's ST card game.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Mar-24, 09:09 PM
I don't think that Picard was more rare than any other rare cards in either edition of Decipher's ST card game.
I was just told by some hardcore gamers/collectors at the time.

Tobin Dax
2010-Mar-24, 09:25 PM
I was just told by some hardcore gamers/collectors at the time.
I guess it's possible, but I don't remember seeing it anywhere. The premiere set came out a bit before I really got into the game, though.

Other than attempts at Star Trek, which worked moderately in college, a big group of Lord of the Rings players developed my junior and senior of college. I kept playing that on a semi-regular basis through most of grad school.

Fazor
2010-Mar-30, 02:21 PM
We were at my parent's house last night so I asked my mom if she still had our old cards in storage. She did, so I thought I'd have a look to see if I could find my brother's old M:TG cards. When I went downstairs I found about 8 large cardboard boxes full of various cards, and 5 smaller boxes full of cards. No way I was going to find the Magic cards in all of these! Right? Well the very first box I pulled down just happened to have a good amount of them (I'd guesstimate 300). I thought that'd be enough to at least make a few trial decks so me and Tara could play. When I went to put them back, I thought "What the hell, let me check one more box." It was almost entirely filled with Magic cards, the remainder was my play deck for the original Star Wars trading card game (Not the 2000's version published by Wizzards). I even found the Falcon, Vader, whatever the name is of Vader's Imperial Cruiser, and Wedge Antiles. Neat. Not worth anything, but neat. :)

So now I have over a thousand Magic cards to go though. Looks like they're a mix of sets between 'Arabian Nights' and 'Ice Age'. A few don't have any sort of icon on them so I'm not sure what set they're from.

QuantumGorilla
2010-Apr-01, 12:21 AM
I used to play magic everyday in middle school - peaked around 7th grade (about 7 years ago) then i got to high school and realized it was a huuuuuge waste of money. i think i actually had a magic themed birthday party one year...ha. i still have all my cards though and i have no idea what to do with them. I also got caught up with the huge pokemon card craze. i was probably in 4th or 5th grade and everyone traded their pokemon cards on the playground. ohhh the good old days of recess...in college we should really have a time slot where everyone puts everything down for 30 min and goes outside to play around haha.