PDA

View Full Version : Missing Person Alert For: Mfumbesi

BigDon
2010-Mar-22, 07:53 PM
Anybody know what happened to him?

Or any of the posters from Africa for that matter. I think we're missing all of them. I'd ask Henrik to go over and look, (you're closest!) but I'm fairly sure Mr. Viehoff has just returned from there, or Fiji, or Leng*, and can tell us what the heck is going on.

*After seeing Ivan's past itineraries in that travel thread I just know he's been there. Maybe even Carcosa. And Cran is just a "troubled grad student's letter" away from joining him. "Professor, as you can see from the enclosed partially fossilized Anomalocaris specimans that this site and the nearby ruins are truely unique..." Yep, always starts out innocent like that.

chrissy
2010-Mar-22, 09:44 PM
BigDon I was thinking the same thing, I don't recall him mentioning anything about going away either. Your guess is as good as mine!!

sarongsong
2010-Mar-23, 01:40 AM
Some refs on Google (http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=Mfumbesi&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)...

mfumbesi
2012-Apr-11, 10:10 AM
Anybody know what happened to him?

He is alive and kicking, and he found this link via google.
I'm (sorry couldn't refer to myself in third person much longer) using the same handle all over the show.

grapes
2012-Apr-11, 10:24 AM
You hear that? Something just clicked. Now if only chrissy would show up!

Swift
2012-Apr-11, 12:30 PM
Hi mfumbesi

Paracelsus
2012-Apr-11, 03:47 PM
Hi mfumbesi! I go in and out, too, although nobody seems to notice...:(

Swift
2012-Apr-11, 06:50 PM
We like you too Paracelsus. You don't seem to disappear for long periods of time.

Paracelsus
2012-Apr-11, 10:49 PM
We like you too Paracelsus. You don't seem to disappear for long periods of time.

That's reassuring. :D I get internet-ed out for short periods of time but always wind up back again. Regardless, I'm glad our South African contingent is still present and accounted-for. :) I'd love to see someone do a map of where all the BAUTers come from some day. I'm sure a lot would be from the States, but I'd be interested to see what other countries are represented on the board.

Swift
2012-Apr-12, 12:38 PM
I'd love to see someone do a map of where all the BAUTers come from some day. I'm sure a lot would be from the States, but I'd be interested to see what other countries are represented on the board.
Actually, we had a stickied thread for that in OTB for a long while - I don't remember the site, but it allowed people to do that - I think ToSeek originally set it up. But that site went out of business a year or two ago. I tried finding a replacement but couldn't find a satisfactory one (I'm open to suggestions).

IIRC, our members were concentrated in North American (particularly the US) and Europe (particularly the UK), with a good accounting in Australia too. After that, it was fairly scattered, with only a couple of members in Africa.

BigDon
2012-Apr-12, 09:44 PM
That's reassuring. :D I get internet-ed out for short periods of time but always wind up back again. Regardless, I'm glad our South African contingent is still present and accounted-for. :) I'd love to see someone do a map of where all the BAUTers come from some day. I'm sure a lot would be from the States, but I'd be interested to see what other countries are represented on the board.

Well, I could hit San Francisco airport with a good sized catapult. Even have sound proof double paned windows. :)

Jeff Root
2012-Apr-13, 12:44 AM
Big,

I've read your post five or six times or so, including the
quote of Paracelsus, with special attention to the portion
you bolded, and I can't figure out what you said.

As near as I can tell, you are suggesting that you launch
either the BAUTers or a stand-in for us such as pumpkins
or bags of paint, by catapult onto the San Fransisco airport
grounds so that the distribution of splats forms a map of
the BAUT population, while Paracelsus watches from behind
sound-proof double-paned windows.

Is that the plan?

If so, I'd recommend pumpkins or bags of paint.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

HenrikOlsen
2012-Apr-13, 04:49 AM
The bolded part can be seen as a question about where people live and Don just told where he lives approximately, i.e. a catapult's throw from San Francisco airport.

astromark
2012-Apr-13, 05:35 AM
Oh Jeff... in Minneapolis.. Lol :rofl:

Many web sites do have a map function that shows flags or dots of members locations.. Some with whose on line now..

Most of us have some clue to location in our posts heading.. On the top right of each post..

Maybe as a cursory we could all insist on a 'Location' Novelty and curious.. to be sure...

Mark in, but not from, New Zealand. 39.55" South. 175. 01" East. A place named Wanganui. :) or is it Whanganui...?

( That's a local argument.)

mfumbesi
2012-Apr-13, 06:26 AM
Your sig about dosage stuck with me. So, don't fret we do miss you, when you disappear.

Trebuchet
2012-Apr-13, 02:41 PM
There used to be a "Put Yourself on the Map" thread but after looking it up on Google (the Baut search function being generally useless, as far as I can tell), I find that the map website is dead and so it the thread. Linky (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/34238-Put-yourself-on-the-map!/page10)

Off topic, but do others also find the Baut search window useless? I tried it by entering "Put Yourself on the Map" and it came back with "The following words are too common and have been ignored: 'Put', 'Yourself', 'On', 'The', 'Map'."

And I just posted this by accident in the dead thread. Dang, Sorry.

Jeff Root
2012-Apr-13, 03:23 PM
The bolded part can be seen as a question about where
people live and Don just told where he lives approximately,
i.e. a catapult's throw from San Francisco airport.
Ah! That makes perfect sense! Yet I still had to go back
and read Don's post one more time to get it! Yikes!

I really couldn't figure it out. That's pretty funny.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Swift
2012-Apr-13, 03:51 PM
There used to be a "Put Yourself on the Map" thread but after looking it up on Google (the Baut search function being generally useless, as far as I can tell), I find that the map website is dead and so it the thread. Linky (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/34238-Put-yourself-on-the-map!/page10)

Many web sites do have a map function that shows flags or dots of members locations.. Some with whose on line now..
I thought I covered these points in my post, partially quoted below.

Actually, we had a stickied thread for that in OTB for a long while - I don't remember the site, but it allowed people to do that - I think ToSeek originally set it up. But that site went out of business a year or two ago. I tried finding a replacement but couldn't find a satisfactory one (I'm open to suggestions).

As I said, I tried to find a replacement, but couldn't find one I liked, was free, and would cover our needs. If anyone has specific suggestions, please let me know

Jeff Root
2012-Apr-13, 05:52 PM
Was the Put yourself on the map thread always in OTB, or did it
start out higher up? Maybe I'm thinking of a time when OTB itself
was higher up on the home page.

Trebuchet,

Is there a reason why you linked to page 10?

The search is useful or not depending on the keywords you have,
and what other search criteria you use.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Trebuchet
2012-Apr-13, 06:38 PM
Trebuchet,

Is there a reason why you linked to page 10?
-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

I linked to that page because it has the explanation that the map site was dead, making the thread rather useless.

The record for catapulting a pumpkin currently stands at about 3600 feet. But if Don wants to use one of my catapults, he'll have to be a LOT closer!

Jeff Root
2012-Apr-13, 07:08 PM
Page 10 is from 2005 and 2006. The map was still working as of
the next-to-last post on that page. Seems to me it only died two
or three years ago.

I thought the record was (just barely) over a mile. If it wasn't
pumpkins they hurled that far, I wonder what it was...

-- Jeff, within pumpkin-hurling distance of the Mississippi

SeanF
2012-Apr-13, 08:04 PM
Page 10 is from 2005 and 2006. The map was still working as of
the next-to-last post on that page. Seems to me it only died two
or three years ago.
Trebuchet no doubt has his posts-per-page setting higher than yours, so his Page 10 is farther into the thread than yours.

Trebuchet
2012-Apr-13, 11:37 PM
I thought the record was (just barely) over a mile. If it wasn't
pumpkins they hurled that far, I wonder what it was...

-- Jeff, within pumpkin-hurling distance of the Mississippi

That's with an air cannon, in the Utah (I think) desert. In the sea level air of Delaware, where the world championships are held, it's much less. The 3600 I was referring to is from a torsion powered catapult called Chucky III, which actually held the lead over the cannons on the first day last year. All real hurlers agree the cannons blow.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Apr-14, 09:12 AM
All real hurlers agree the cannons blow.So would any engineer and physicist. Though possibly for a different value of "blow".

Paracelsus
2012-Apr-14, 09:58 PM
Big,

I've read your post five or six times or so, including the
quote of Paracelsus, with special attention to the portion
you bolded, and I can't figure out what you said.

As near as I can tell, you are suggesting that you launch
either the BAUTers or a stand-in for us such as pumpkins
or bags of paint, by catapult onto the San Fransisco airport
grounds so that the distribution of splats forms a map of
the BAUT population, while Paracelsus watches from behind
sound-proof double-paned windows.

Is that the plan?

If so, I'd recommend pumpkins or bags of paint.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Laughed 'til I cried when I read this!

HenrikOlsen
2012-Apr-14, 11:58 PM
Ah! That makes perfect sense! Yet I still had to go back
and read Don's post one more time to get it! Yikes!

I really couldn't figure it out. That's pretty funny.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
It does seem like I have a knack for understanding what Don means where others fail to understand.
Happy to have helped.

Paracelsus
2012-Apr-15, 11:31 AM
Your sig about dosage stuck with me. So, don't fret we do miss you, when you disappear.

Thanks! :D