PDA

View Full Version : Summer in Seattle

mike alexander
2010-Mar-23, 10:22 PM
I've been accepted to the Clarion West Writers Workshop (http://www.clarionwest.org/) this summer in Seattle. Six weeks of intensive writing, critique and teaching in the art of the science fiction/fantasy short story. Can't wait can't wait can't wait.

Nowhere Man
2010-Mar-23, 10:31 PM
Good for you. I don't know if I could handle it.

Waiting for your F&SF story to arrive...

Fred

ABR.
2010-Mar-23, 10:41 PM
Way to go, mike! I remember reading the Clarion collections from the early 1970s. I was amazed at the pace set and wondered how or if anyone slept at all for the 6 weeks of the course. I doubt if I could survive Clarion, either.

Good luck to you and here's hoping lots of good stories come out of your experience.

Buttercup
2010-Mar-23, 10:42 PM
Yay! :D I hope you really enjoy it, and that it's as rewarding as you anticipate.

(Got a kick out of your sig just now...so very true :lol: )

LookingSkyward
2010-Mar-23, 10:51 PM
Nice!

Gillianren
2010-Mar-24, 12:24 AM
Congratulations! I guess that's an issue settled, then.

Swift
2010-Mar-24, 01:42 AM
I already congratulated you once elsewhere, but it is certainly worthy to say again. Congrats.

Speaking of Clarion. I'm currently reading The John Varley Reader (it came out in 2004, but I just bought it). It is a collection of his stories (most published previously, but a couple of new ones), and each has an introduction written by him, telling stuff about his life, where he got a particular idea from, etc. - all very interesting. In his introduction to The Barbie Murders he mentions the two most widely known SF workshops: The Millford Science Fiction Writers' Conference, which he was invited to early in his career, and the Clarion. I kind of jumped when I saw the name, since you had just mentioned about being invited.

I guess you are traveling in some cool circles.

mike alexander
2010-Mar-24, 02:02 AM
I want to learn and learn to do well, but I feel like a pipsqueak.

Note my calm confidence on facing the unknown.

GalaxyGal
2010-Mar-24, 02:41 AM
That's impressive.....both your acceptance and the grace with which you're handling it. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait to read more about your experience.

sarongsong
2010-Mar-24, 03:31 AM
...this summer in Seattle. Six weeks...Will that be anything like Mark Twain's [attributed]:
"The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco." :confused:

Gillianren
2010-Mar-24, 04:48 AM
Last summer, we had a week or better over 100 degrees. I'm not sure how long we were over 90, but it was a substantial chunk of July and August. If trends continue, no. It won't be cold.